Shows, movies, etc. you hate on the conceptual level.

Phlogiston

Apr 27, 2014
Vegosiux said:
Oh, and "(Very loosely) Based on (what might or might not be) a True Story" movies. Seriously, sod that garbage.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Water_%28film%29

Two people got left at sea whilst scuba diving. NOTHING MORE IS KNOWN BUT WE'RE GONNA MAKE A FILM ABOUT WHAT MIGHT HAVE HAPPENED

Completely with you on this :)

Nimzabaat

Feb 1, 2010
Surrogates. If you have the tech to project your mind into a mechanical body, you have the tech to project your mind into a virtual reality instead. Why build fucking clubs for robots when the people controlling the robots couldn't tell the difference between that and VR? Why build anything? Ugh.

Oh and the drift part of Pacific Rim. I loved the movie otherwise but there is no "neural load" to walking and swinging your arms.

[Kira Must Die]

Incubator
Sep 30, 2009
I can't recall a time where the concept alone keeps me from watching it.

Something that comes to mind, though, in which I find the concept idiotic, is the anime movie Hal, which is about a special program that sends a robot to console a girl who lost her boyfriend in a plane accident, by making it look like him, and it goes about as well as you expect it to.

But THEN...
... it turns out SHE'S the robot, and the girl was the one who died in the accident, which traumatizes the boyfriend into thinking he's a robot (Yes, you read that right). So in order to help him, they give him "robot therapy" and go along with the idea that he now thinks he's a robot, get a robot to look like his dead girlfriend, and set it up so that he thinks he's helping her out, in the hopes that it will somehow make him better. So then he finds out and regains his memories, but the robot dies by sinking into a river right in front of him, and somehow that gives him the will to live again.

So in other words, hearing that his girlfriend died in an accident traumatizes him to think he's a robot, but seeing her basically die again, with no sense of closure whatsoever, right in front of him, mind you, makes him feel better.

This. Fucking. Happens.

Disappointing really, because before that point the movie was actually slowly winning me over with a rather sweet relationship between the two.

EDIT: Alright, I got one.

Battle Royal-esque movies / shows / games.

I don't hate them, but while they can be enjoyable, my biggest problem with them is that they're always centered around ONE character, the main character. The idea of a tournament or game where everyone but one has to die in order to win can create great suspense. However, when you center around one character, it takes away a lot of the suspense. We know how it's gonna end, we know everyone except our main hero is gonna die, the only question is whether he or she will have a love interest that he or she will either be force to kill or let live because they find a way to "break the system" or work around it and save a few other characters as well.

I'd like to see one of these take time in developing all the characters equally, not centered around one particular character and instead focuses on all of them, leaving you guessing who will make it and who won't, and create real suspense. I'm sure something like that exist, but I've yet to find it.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
The only thing that I really hated on a conceptual level was Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 2. None of it is canon at this point because The Mouse God says so but the then-canon ending of Force Unleashed was the noble sacrifice...which is completely undermined by FU2 cloning Starkiller. The premise alone is the reason I haven't played that game even though I really enjoyed the original. Luckily it turns out that FU2 wasn't that good anyway apparently, so I didn't miss out on too much.

cojo965

Jul 28, 2012
Nimzabaat said:
Surrogates. If you have the tech to project your mind into a mechanical body, you have the tech to project your mind into a virtual reality instead. Why build fucking clubs for robots when the people controlling the robots couldn't tell the difference between that and VR? Why build anything? Ugh.

Oh and the drift part of Pacific Rim. I loved the movie otherwise but there is no "neural load" to walking and swinging your arms.
I ask "consider the following:"

Your body uses electrical signals from your brain to move, taste, feel, hurt, ex. every one is a neural signal. Imagine, then, that instead of just moving your arm or leg, it's doing the same thing on a scale it isn't designed for, your brain would fry itself through the effort.

It isn't much, but it makes sense to me. I don't have one myself but I felt like responding.

Happiness Assassin

Oct 11, 2012
I hate all reality shows, but I have a specific place in my heart for 99% of anything relating to the supernatural. Shows like Ancient Aliens ruined the History Channel (especially what was once History International) for me. But the show Long Island Medium on TLC can go right the fuck off and die.

Also any kind of movie where we are supposed to root for the biggest asshole in the room because they are so much "cooler" than everyone else. I just can't sympathize with someone when they are being a massive douche to everyone around them.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I hate any show that starts with the premise that there are things in the world that only certain people can see or interact with, be it ghosts, demons, witches, fairy tale creates, whatever. It always annoys the hell out of me because at the beginning half the damn show is awkward misunderstandings caused by the main character being able to see whatever creature is invisible to normal people while others cannot.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Big Bang Theory. Actually I hate it on all levels. The people are nothing like the academics I've worked with in the past (if that's what they're meant to be) and aren't funny either, just plain annoying. I wouldn't want to spend 5 minutes around any of them, from what I've seen of the show, let alone whole seasons of watching that shite. Total trash. And you can imagine the thought process around its creation (hey! let's make a show that nerds will like because it's about all their worst and most stereotypical aspects). Sadly apparently nerds do like it, but then I don't really consider myself a nerd.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
99% of anything about zombies.

Though I will say, something with a terrible concept can be good if made well. Case in point, the social network. I thought the idea of a movie about the guy who made facebook was the stupidest thing in the world, but I was trapped on a plane with it and it actually turned out to be a pretty decent movie.

Nimzabaat

Feb 1, 2010
cojo965 said:
Nimzabaat said:

Your body uses electrical signals from your brain to move, taste, feel, hurt, ex. every one is a neural signal. Imagine, then, that instead of just moving your arm or leg, it's doing the same thing on a scale it isn't designed for, your brain would fry itself through the effort.

It isn't much, but it makes sense to me. I don't have one myself but I felt like responding.
Yeah the thing is that in the movie the Jaegers are shown to be controlled by control sticks and foot pedals. That goes against the whole mind-link thing. It?s like saying you need another person to help you move your thumb-sticks (or mouse WASD) for whatever game you are playing because you cannot handle the ?neural load? of moving your own thumbs. If the characters had been portrayed as being immobilized while controlling the Jaeger with their minds it would have fit the lore much better than what was shown. It also didn't make sense that they had to talk to each other when they are supposed to be linked.

Otherwise it was a fun movie.

deckpunk

Apr 5, 2011
Planet of the apes (every movie), I just can't suspend my belief. The apes take over.... no just no. The human race has its faults but the one thing we completely own is killing,slaughter and mayhem. We are close to seven billion strong, we have advanced weaponry (Tanks ,fighter jets,drones and nukes. Not to mention we have years of practice killing each other. We have tech,experience and superior numbers but the smart apes take control... its too much I just can't...

And aren't apes an endangered species?!

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
deckpunk said:
Planet of the apes (every movie), I just can't suspend my belief. The apes take over.... no just no. The human race has its faults but the one thing we completely own is killing,slaughter and mayhem. We are close to seven billion strong, we have advanced weaponry (Tanks ,fighter jets,drones and nukes. Not to mention we have years of practice killing each other. We have tech,experience and superior numbers but the smart apes take control... its too much I just can't...

Not that it doesn't have it's own issues, but the reboot kind of got around that by having the "Make Apes Smart" Virus also killed humans.

Dire Trout

Jan 6, 2014
Nimzabaat said:
cojo965 said:
Nimzabaat said:

Yeah the thing is that in the movie the Jaegers are shown to be controlled by control sticks and foot pedals. That goes against the whole mind-link thing. It?s like saying you need another person to help you move your thumb-sticks (or mouse WASD) for whatever game you are playing because you cannot handle the ?neural load? of moving your own thumbs. If the characters had been portrayed as being immobilized while controlling the Jaeger with their minds it would have fit the lore much better than what was shown. It also didn't make sense that they had to talk to each other when they are supposed to be linked.

I never thought that the "neural load" referred to the strain of moving the robot around, myself--like you say, they have actual controls for that. I thought that, instead, they needed to have their brains plugged into the robot so that they could perceive what the robot did, so that they were aware of the robot's position relative to everything else and so that they could "feel" the robot's limbs and stuff. Otherwise, it'd be like trying to write a letter with a numb hand, or eating ice cream after coming back from the dentist: you'd just make a mess. And because the robot is bigger than them, there would be proportionally more sensory input, to the point where they had to split it between two people. The memory-sharing part seemed to me like an unintentional side effect of all this neural data swirling around, something that the pilots just had to deal with because Charlie Day hadn't found a way around it yet.

On-topic: The Marvel comic universe. Specifically, the fact that the X-Men and all the other heroes exist on the same world at once. Come on, people, are superpowers bad or not? Why is it okay if you get them from space rays or alien whatever, but not if you're born with them?

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
When I was younger I like shows, movies or books that's based purely in fantasies. Now that I'm older I prefer more reality base stories or at least a plausible stories.

Therefore I'm completely bias against religious stories like the bible and pseudoscience stories like starwars.

Treeberry

Nov 27, 2013
Reality shows especially certain ones.
Oh, it's so hard being rich! Oh, I'm going to leave my daughter with this abusive instructor while I get all the attention! Oh I'm going to dress my daughter up like she's a Southern Belle hooker for judges! Oh, I'm in a show about survival? Well I'm going to scream like a chimp because I think acting like I'm in the Real Housewives of XYZ is better than helping myself and others!*

*I swear on (the admittedly few) shows I've seen which feature people trying to 'survive' in a jungle or tropical paradise, the one practical person gets kicked off really quickly.

I dislike sexed up historical shows in the vein of practically anything the BBC likes to cough up. Sometimes it's like people can't go a single conversation without rubbing their genitals against each other. I'm really not anti-sex, I'm just sick of sex being the Most Important Thing In The World in the eyes of some people who apparently never progressed beyond teenagerhood.

I miss those halcyon days back when the History, Science, Discovery channels etc. actually had worthwhile programming. Nowadays they show the same insipid crap over and over again, with the shows allowing people to make claims without proof or logical thinking (Ancient Aliens and its ilk) or just showing Reality Show Family With An Unusual Job Shows.

(I don't have satellite TV anymore.)

cojo965

Jul 28, 2012
Nimzabaat said:
cojo965 said:
Nimzabaat said:

I've heard it said once that perhaps if they were restricted the electrical signals wouldn't fire properly because the brain is getting conflicting information to what it wants the body to do. Lets say this:

Brain: Right arm punch.
Right arm: Can't do that, I'm tied down.

The Jovian

Dec 21, 2012
I hate soap operas, I just do not understand why they are popular, you're just watching a collection of bland average joes going through an increasingly implausible number of trials and tribulations that in real life would probably cause a person to kill themselves because they're convinced that they're cursed by the hack writer God. The show just creates an uncanny valley-like effect where the closest it gets to truly mimicking real life the more glaring and jarringly out of place the unrealistic cliché plot developments or lines of dialogue become. In real life people would simply go through a single soap story arc and then move on to live a decent life. But when every other month something goes terribly wrong for the family it becomes really ridiculous.

deckpunk

Apr 5, 2011
Dalisclock said:
deckpunk said:

Not that it doesn't have it's own issues, but the reboot kind of got around that by having the "Make Apes Smart" Virus also killed humans.
How exactly did the virus spread between both species? cough... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnGakbprjgE cough...

sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Jan 12, 2012
Zontar said:
The X-men. If you're going to make a series of comic books/shows/movies which are about a group which are hated/feared/discriminated against because of how they where born, don't make it so that said hatred/fear/discrimination is logical and fully justified.
Yeah, a lot of them are really bad. I think the initial concept is good, but it only works if the artist(s) making it understand the idea of painting everyone with the same brush. They need to show that it's not the guy who can melt people's brains with a wave of the hand that's the unfair target of discrimination, it's the girl who can change pasta to a different colour who's being forced into mutant prison beside him. The problem is that the main characters all have awesome and dangerous powers, so when they talk about discrimation you can totally see the point that the normal people have.

I'm sure there's something like it out there, but I really want a story about some low-level mutant living with hardcore mutant discrimination, or on the run from the law, when all he can do is untie shoelaces with his mind. Sadly, it doesn't look like the Days of Future Past movie will give that to me.

OT: True crime shows. I can understand the appeal, I just hate the idea of someone taking the rape or murder of a real person and turning it into a low budget, 15-minute segment, with the focus on the shock and horror of those close to the victim (and the investigators).