Shows, movies, etc. you hate on the conceptual level.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Uhura said:
canadamus_prime said:
The Bachelor/Baccalaureate. So we're going to help this guy (or girl) find "love" out of a selection of bimbos (or the male equivalent) and make a gigantic public spectacle out of it. Riiiiiight. What a crock of shit. I don't know what's worse, the fact that some jackasses would be so desperate as to trust their love lives to this nonsense or that there's an audience for it.
Huh, I love watching the Bachelor/Bachelorette. Surprisingly, some of the people who participate on the show aren't bimbos (male/female).
O rly? The fact that they'd even go on a show like that makes me suspect otherwise.

AntiChri5

Nov 9, 2011
Coruptin said:
AntiChri5 said:
Ooooh boy. Thems fighting words.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Laggan. Just call it Gurren Lagann if that's too much for you.

And it isn't a celebration of hyperbolic irrationality and intellectual cowardice, it's a celebration of passion, drive, the human spirit, staying true to yourself and the ability to forge your own path.

Just cynically listening to other people describe it is the absolute worst way to learn about it. Have you watched so much as a single episode?
i really wanted to watch it 5-6? years ago but then some really stupid people started talking about it all the time and i know i could never give the show a fair go now

i wish it could've been something i just stumbled into
The important thing to remember about stupid is that it is everywhere and everywhen. Everything you love is tainted by a shitload of stupid people. That cannot be avoided.

AntiChri5

Nov 9, 2011
lacktheknack said:
AntiChri5 said:
lacktheknack said:
AntiChri5 said:
lacktheknack said:
Freaking The Hangover.

A bunch of irredeemable twats get blitzed and survey the damage afterwards? Eugh. Kill me. The only concept that's worse is Project X, because it's about the night of instead of the day after, but at least it has the denecy to not have a sequel.

Can't say I'm a fan of apocalypse films either. They kill off billions of people and rarely even acknowledge it.
Wasn't the entire point of that movie that those guys were a bunch of assclowns?
Indeed. That's why I hate it on a conceptual level. That's what the thread's called. :p
I could understand hating it on the conceptual level if it glorified their behaviour and made excuses for their bullshit, but i thought it pointed out how flawed and stupid they are. Been a long while since i have seen it though.
Throwing poop on a screen then saying "Look! It's gross!" still pisses me off.

The idea that I'd be entertained by asshats being asshats (it's a comedy, after all) is one I resent greatly. Attempting a higher level of finesse than what's expected doesn't excuse you from starting with a terrible concept.
Alright, fair enough.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
[quote="kortin" post="18.848903.20971710"

Also Adventure Time's "LOL SO RANDUM" concept is just obnoxious and I will have no part in that show.[/quote]
The show actually has a continuous story and some pretty cool lore that made it a really interesting spin on the standard fantasy setting and I think that's the reason why a lot of people like it. If you don't like surreal honor then I can definitely see why you wouldn't like it because it has a lot of that but to be fair to it I still feel like it's really well done... most of the time anyway.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
lacktheknack said:
[

Yep. Apocalypse movies tend to leave me unsure of the state of mind of the person who made it.
while I do hate to generalise I do wonder if some of the appeal comes from the confusion about the relelvance of "masculinity" in the modern world, take things down a few notches "men can be men" of coarse I'm fairly against most macho/feminisation is the worst thing ever reactionary attitudes...and they do conviniently brush over the rape and child death

Coruptin

Inaction Master
Jul 9, 2009
AntiChri5 said:
The important thing to remember about stupid is that it is everywhere and everywhen. Everything you love is tainted by a shitload of stupid people. That cannot be avoided.
here's where the conceptual part comes in because everything everyone ever tells me about the show is a mess of hyperbolic exclamations and quotes from the series that embrace that 'to the extreme' attitude. i don't enjoy that fox news level of fair and balanced conceptually.

when i want to really truly convince a friend to read or watch something i love, i try to take a shit on that thing. because i want to criticise and analyse what i love generally. i will, of course, follow up with why i think the things i love about the show outweigh the bad and many of the things i love will encourage me to be critical as such

so, tell me, why should someone watch gurren lagan? what are its pitfalls and how does it make up for them? how does it fall short? does it drag on at times, is it ever too full of itself, did the characters behave out of character at a time, was that dialogue unnecessary? what makes it beautiful? do the animators manage to emote a mouthless cycloptian machine using angles and shadows, is the writer able to turn cliches on their heads and make them relevant again, does the world seem like a living place that functions with or without the main characters, was death somehow simultaneously pointless and stupid but heart wrenching and meaningful?

truly, if its only redeeming qualities are the epic scale or extremeness of situations or boobs then i can safely say it is conceptually repulsive to me

Varrdy

Feb 25, 2010
Shows like Jerry Springer in the USA and Jeremy Kyle in the UK - shows in which alarmingly stupid and horrible people who have less sense than a house-brick and all the morals of a kick in the knackers are allowed to air their amazingly dirty laundry on TV. I'm loathe to sound elitist or arrogant but where DO they find these poor excuses for human beings?

Worse though are the ghouls in the audience who lap it up; the ones "on trial" might be scum but if you spend time and money to actually watch this freak-show live then, quite frankly, you're no better. Sure there might be the odd heart-warming story in which someone who actually has all their teeth and no STD's to speak of actually finds out who his or her real father is but mostly it's just the same old parade of illiterate, brain-dead chavs slinging insults at each other before they go off and enjoy the free hotel that normally comes with participation.

And don't talk to me about poverty and lack of opportunity either. A vast number of schools are free to go to in the UK and always have been. "Yeah but we nevva had no money, yeah?" So? Many people are so fucking skint they have to choose between heating or eating but they still manage to stay respectable and social.

Sorry for the rant but shows like that really make me want to smash things. I don't watch it at home but there are TV's at work that all show the same thing and Jeremy Kyle seems to be popular with the guy in charge of the remote so I have to endure the sound at the very least. It also used to be on at the gym I used to be a member of, which is all I needed when busting my scrawny arse on the cross-trainer.

I'm not saying that the people on these shows need help - they clearly do - but these shows don't care about it, despite what they say. They're only interested in the scandal and the shock; they really are modern day freak-shows and I HATE THEM!

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Vault101 said:
lacktheknack said:
[

Yep. Apocalypse movies tend to leave me unsure of the state of mind of the person who made it.
while I do hate to generalise I do wonder if some of the appeal comes from the confusion about the relelvance of "masculinity" in the modern world, take things down a few notches "men can be men" of coarse I'm fairly against most macho/feminisation is the worst thing ever reactionary attitudes...and they do conviniently brush over the rape and child death
Well, I'm fine with "traditional masculinity/femininity" and don't like how they're being demonized, yet I still don't like apocalypse movies for anything more than special effects. :p

And yeah, I've found it interesting how children tend to not exist in apocalypse movies unless they're designated survivors.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
Zen Bard said:
Conceptually, I hate pretty much anything from J.J. Abrams and his stable of writers (Lindloff, Orci, Kurtzman,etc...).

They just don't seem to get science fiction. And more importantly, seem to have contempt for sci-fi fans.
Yeah, Lindeloff in particular I can't stand. For a bit he became some sort of a public figure and people were talking about him as a "fixer". Yeah, because Prometheus is a cohesive vision. Because Abram's Star Trek is worth watching.

Eugh.

Uhura

This ain't no hula!
Aug 30, 2012
canadamus_prime said:
O rly? The fact that they'd even go on a show like that makes me suspect otherwise.
Well, I can't blame you. I think the concept of the show is pretty ridiculous. After watching four seasons of both shows, I can say that the contestants are always a mixed bag. They always have a certain amount of party women/men (bimbos) to bring some drama to the show, but they also cast a good number of quite successful and "normal" people. A lot of the contestants seem to participate on the show "for the experience" so it's not like they are all deluded about their chances of finding a partner on the show.

Most of the relationships formed on the show fail, but a handful of the contestants have managed to maintain legit relationships after the show is over (the first Bachelorette contestant was married to the guy she chose in the show for about 10 years and they had several kids etc.).

Limbsy1

Apr 30, 2011
Coruptin said:
AntiChri5 said:
so, tell me, why should someone watch gurren lagan? what are its pitfalls and how does it make up for them? how does it fall short? does it drag on at times, is it ever too full of itself, did the characters behave out of character at a time, was that dialogue unnecessary? what makes it beautiful? do the animators manage to emote a mouthless cycloptian machine using angles and shadows, is the writer able to turn cliches on their heads and make them relevant again, does the world seem like a living place that functions with or without the main characters, was death somehow simultaneously pointless and stupid but heart wrenching and meaningful?
So in defense of TTGL, it does have many pitfalls it starts off a bit slow and its EXTREME nature can be a little off putting at times. I had to try to start it 2 or 3 times before I just stuck with it. It is really a well done parody of other large mecha shows and it takes tropes and cliches to the EXTREME. It has what many consider a cool and unique animation style and once it picks up it really gets you on board with the silly over the top nature of it. The show is not serious. It has serious parts, deaths of characters and moments of peril but most of the time its rip roaring action with giant robots.

[edit] thinking about its parody nature all of its characters are parodies within themselves as well. If anime cliches get your goat then that would also be a negative.

If that sounds like something that you wouldnt like then you do in fact dislike the concept of that show.

And if any other fans wish to add something please do.

OT: It is hard for me to dislike a concept outright. I think the right vision and execution can make anything worth watching. Although I tend not to like LOLSORANDOM type things. I know adventure time has been brought up but ever episode of that has a cohesive plot. I have found I dont like Uncle Grandpa or Problem Solverz or Secret Mountain Fort Awesome

II2

Mar 13, 2010
Vault101 said:
Urban Fantasy in general
I'm kinda in the same boat, though I think it can be more palatable when it's pushed to either comic exaggeration super science & sorcery (Shadowrun) or the disquietingly subtle / *potentially* supernatural (some of: X Files, David Lynch, True Detective, etc).

I have the same problem with what I'd describe as the 'lazy middleground' of simply adding magic and fantasy elements into an otherwise unaltered modern setting and off you go. While I appreciate a light hardheartedness of tone is sometimes what some urban fantasy authors are after, it sells the concept short to just have psychic detectives and wizard infantry; etc. Just sampling those elements and slapping them onto their logical function in contemporary society ignores the more interesting, if unpleasant, implications and questions of how the fundamental shape and order of modern society would be CHANGED for magic existing - rather than just CO-EXISTING with it. The unquestioning acceptance of it is just an uncanny disconnect in a modern scenario. That kind of attitude is easier swallowed in some kind of post-cyberpunk mish mash where everything is already gonzo and extreme, or, alternately, campy and silly as something like Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

With that in mind, it's the weirdness against skepticism and isolated supernatural 'notes' that add a lot to a modern setting, rather than broad fantasy strokes. There was a 'monster of the week' X Files episode I quite liked regarding the pursuit of a killer, who (for reasons unknown) was invisible when stared at, but could be glimpsed, as a blur in people's peripheral vision. Those kinds of unexplained quirks and unreliable / inconsistent 'powers' tend to better offset contemporary storytelling than 'the magic mcguffin that's needed to defeat the evil mage so-and-so who could also be dealt with by a rifleman in the bushes... etc'

axillarypuma

Dec 11, 2013
I kind of dislike history channel to a point, because EVERY FUCKING THING HAS TO BE RELATED TO ALIENS, don't get me wrong, I believe in that stuff, but seriously, saying that albert einstein had such a huge and weird brain that there was a possibility that he communicated with aliens and learned more shit.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
axillarypuma said:
I kind of dislike history channel to a point, because EVERY FUCKING THING HAS TO BE RELATED TO ALIENS, .
what?

..I uhhh....hmmmm

...wow it must have really fallen in quality huh?

II2 said:
I think the inverse of this would be having a world where magic exists...yet everyone still living like its pre-industrial dark ageis

of coarse I assume most of the time the magic is the "grounded" kind

Coruptin said:
oh also, attack the block

i heard it was good so i tried to watch it but i couldn't get past 15 minutes of it. i just dont find watching a bunch of juvenile delinquents generally being the worst kind of teenagers all that enjoyable
similar thing with skins

I can only speak from my experience but this was not a good look at what it is to be a teenager...this is what teenagers "think" cool is like, its how they want to see the world...I found it alienating and..quite frankly depressing

of coarse teenagers loved it...

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
I agree about reality shows. There are only 2 reality shows that I watched consistently. Shark Tank and Comic Book Men. Both are not only entertaining, but I learn something as well. The rest of them are cringe-worthy beyond belief. Who find watching whiny, narcissistic people entertaining?

I really get bothered by movies whose message is railing against something that nobody is for. The most recent example of this is 12 Years a Slave. With the exception of a fine paying deadbeat rancher in Nevada, nobody is for reestablishing slavery in the US. Another example is Lord of War, which has great performances by Jered Leto and Nicolas Cage, whose message of the movie is arms dealing is wrong.

Sitcoms that goes for the lowest common denominator. Chuck Lorre shows are the biggest offender: Big Bang Theory, Mike & Molly, Moms, Two and a Half Men, and etc.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
KissingSunlight said:
I really get bothered by movies whose message is railing against something that nobody is for. The most recent example of this is 12 Years a Slave. With the exception of a fine paying deadbeat rancher in Nevada, nobody is for reestablishing slavery in the US. Another example is Lord of War, which has great performances by Jered Leto and Nicolas Cage, whose message of the movie is arms dealing is wrong.
...0_0.....uuuummm

I think your missing the point of the movie....or historical movies in general...

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
Vault101 said:
KissingSunlight said:
...0_0.....uuuummm

I think your missing the point of the movie....or historical movies in general...
If you think I'm missing the point of these movies, then tell me what was the point. That was what I got from those movies. I'm not saying they were bad movies. It was the self-important tone from them that annoyed me.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
KissingSunlight said:
If you think I'm missing the point of these movies, then tell me what was the point. That was what I got from those movies. I'm not saying they were bad movies. It was the self-important tone from them that annoyed me.
ughhh...ok

everybody knows slavery is bad, just because a work frames an issue in a certain way does not mean its under the assumption that its somehow making a groundbreaking point....its fucking SLAVERY we all know the score there

the point of the movie was "this is a thing that happened a long time ago" it is a story about a man who survives a very terrible and uncomfortable part of history...what makes it different from other movies is its from the perspective of a black man. It wasn't made to make white people feel bad or tell people slavery is wrong (because 99% of them already friggin know that) it was a story of perseverance in the face of overwhelming adversity

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Meriatressia said:
I hate pretentious what if shows. Like those ridiculous big budget jokes were they put any old crap into cgi and pretend it's science. Like walking with dinosaurs, future stuff programmes. It's just bleeding CGI with no purpose!
EDIT: actually i thought you were comparing them (like planet of the apes) like they were the same thing

the dinosaurs actually happened, unlike say..some fake docomentry on mermaids speculating on how they lived and movied and putting it into a visual form is more or less scientific (even if there is an element of entertainment)

[quote/]Planet Of The Apes I hate. It's bullcrap! Monkeys and apes ar'nt smart enough to do anything beyond what they do now!
There is no point that humans would'nt be able to slaughter all the monkeys they had to, to stop them.
There is no reason at all why apes would do anything beyond sit in trees and do what they do now.
.[/quote]

ITS FICTIONAL........