Shows which died before their time

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
I always thought The Critic could have lasted a few more seasons than it did. Two is not enough.

Or at least give it a proper ending. I'll let this image explain how I feel about the finale:

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
AyreonMaiden said:
aeroblaster said:
Sym-Bionic Titan

Look it up, one of the best shows ever, never renewed for a second season. :(
This.

I found out two hours ago about this. I currently have a deep-seated and extremely petty hate for all my favorite CN cartoons at the moment (Regular Show, Adventure Time, Scooby Doo Mystery Inc.) and some that aren't (Clone Wars, Ben 10, Generator Rex, MAD) and some that have zero to do with anything (Superjail!, My Little Pony, Squidbillies, anything on [adult swim].)

Worst of all I feel quite mad at myself for not having contributed my viewership. I loved what little I saw of the show, then I got so busy with school that I simply forgot when it was on.
all i know is if they dont at least release a DVD collection of it i will seriously go forward with operation "Terner"
Double A said:
Samurai Jack. There was no time where it would be a good idea to cancel that. EVER.
im more pissed that the show didnt have a real finalie.

Custard_Angel

Aug 6, 2009
I don't think a show ending in its prime is a bad thing...

It gives you a much better memory of the show.

For instance, Firefly ended strong and is loved by millions of nerds. If it continued it could have gotten worse or stagnated, souring memories. Black Books is another example of this.

The IT Crowd is probably the best example of a show that should have ended but instead took a train to shit town. It started as a brilliantly clever show about the general social ineptitude of an IT department, but then devolved into a mess of lazy writing about a department that sometimes has computers in it.

Don't be sad that your show ended in its prime. Be thankful that it didn't end as a steaming pile of shit.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Firefly. Can't think of anything that has been cut that I care about.

Yarggg said:
Stargate Universe. Hasn't been cut yet but it has been announced.
That show is awesome.
It has been cut, three episodes left.

I'll watch the end to see how they will do it, but I'm glad they killed it.

Whoever was doing the writing needs to be slapped. I wanted to watch a Sci-fi show, that mainly deals with the Stargates, Aliens, and finding out more about the universe of the show; I didn't want an angsty soap opera with love triangles and what not.

They also messed up by adopting the horrible filming style that Battlestar Galactica had. It's grainy, dark, and has way to much camera movement. Instead of wasting seconds of camera time by quickly panning from one person in a conversation to the next, just blip the camera from person to person. That way I don't feel like I watching someone making a home movie of the events.

Back on characters, they focused way too much story time on just characters. Most episodes are around 10 minutes at most of real sci-fi subject matter, while the rest of the show is people squawking at each other about who loves who, or who hates who.

Example: The civilian leader's lesbian relationship. All the time wasted on her going back with the stones and talking with the other woman. If that had been totally taken out of the show, never been shown, it wouldn't have harmed anything. The only thing it did was add filler because somebody over there couldn't think of any more plot to add. Which is bad, since there was only ten minutes of real main sci-fi plot in each episode. They have weeks to write and plan each episode, if I worked hard for one day, I could easily write more plot than they did. A good balance for a sci-fi show is at least 30 to 35 minutes of main plot, and 8 minutes max of filler. And that is what the relationships stuff was, filler. It didn't matter to me what kind of relationship she had. It just wasn't important to the story or show.

Episodes that were mostly filler, that is what killed the show. All one has to do is watch the other two Stargate series to see that they horribly changed things up with Universe.

Now SyFy blamed the bad ratings on that it was aired on a bad night. No reasonable person is going to buy that story. It had bad ratings because it was a Stargate show that wasn't set up or written like a Stargate show. Because of that, they pissed off the fans. I care so little for the characters, except Rush(he's the only good character), that when I saw that one episode where the colonel dreams about the Destiny being destroyed, I actually jump for joy and laughed because I thought that they actually killed the show and that is how they ended it, I still hope they end it that way.

The worst part of this whole fiasco is that the reason they canceled Stargate Atlantis is because they were riding all their money on Universe. There was going to be a Stargate Atlantis movie, but because Universe was canceled, they stupidly decided against the SA movie. What they don't understand is that they would get good money from a SA movie if it was written the traditional way, but my money is on that they didn't want to write it the traditional way.

So it was the creators' own faults for Stargate Universe being canceled. They screwed with what made Stargate great Sci-Fi and they paid the price, by receiving the wrath of core and loyal fans.

The writing and story has changed for the better as of late, but that is because they probably cut all the relationship stuff so they could fit the plot back in where it should be. It's a little too late, and little did they know, if they had done that from the start, they would have had an insanely popular show.

They probably won't, but I hope they learned something from this.

Goodbye SGU and good riddance; may your death not hinder the possible creation of a better and more traditional Stargate series.

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
spiderman unlimited got canceled right on the edge of a cliffhanger

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
SiNCry said:
Stargate Universe
I loved that show and now, because of the cancelation, all of the movies are permanently shelved and the franchise dead :(
See my rant not far above, good riddance to SGU. The franchise wouldn't be dead if they understood why SG-1 and Atlantis succeeded and why SGU was full of fail.

OhSnap said:
No one has mentioned Stargate Atlantis yet?
I am disappoint.

Only one I can think of off the top of my head.
Blame Stargate Universe, they canceled Atlantis because they thought SGU would do better. They F-ed up big time with SGU. The stupid little angsty space soap opera.

Jun 11, 2008
Zoids, Shaman King and possibly SGU. The former have the biggest kick in the nuts cliff hangers ever. Also even though it has been said Firefly.

RickWilde

Jan 27, 2010
Just responding to an earlier post
Spaced wasn't cancelled they just didn't make another series
On the bright side Spaced launched one of my favourite films ever, Shaun of the Dead (I think it's episode 3 of series 1, the one with the transvestite performance artist and resident evil)

I'd have to go with Reaper...
I liked it. It was funny, original, relatively intelligent and just pretty cool
Also...I LIKED Krod Mandoon and the flaming Sword of Fire... I may get some stick for that one...

But yeah as for Spaced theres a whole bunch of comedy series over here (Jolly Old England) that are kind linked in with that. Check out Black Books. I don't know what the opinion is state side but its a cult classic over here, arguably more popular than Spaced (although Spaced has a die hard cult following).

Edit: Just scanned through the rest of these posts and Code Monkeys was awesome and NEEDS to be shown in England.
I also agree that IT Crowd...lot less funny than when it started
And I wish they did another series of Darkplace instead of that 'Man to Man with Dean Learner' thing

Jun 11, 2008
Sonic Doctor said:
Ok if you don't like it fair enough I know it departed far from the Stargate norm but I just want to make a point that the series was in decline anyway. If it wasn't the things like Ark of Truth and Continuum wouldn't of been the movies. SGA also did quite crap in its first and second seasons as far as I remember but back then the show had enough steam to keep it going to a point where it was viable. The problem I have with SGU being cancelled is that they needed to set up those big story arcs they planned for which is why it was shit at the start. It was only starting to find itself. So take from that what you will.