Sick grandad becomes first person in Britain to die on national television

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
There's two things that are forever certain in life: Death and Taxes!

Over-used references aside, i applaud the BBC's integrity to show something so controversial rather than shy away from it. Death is an unavoidable part of life. We are all going to die. I think we can all learn something from Gerald too, that if you accept it, if you don't fear it, you can die with dignity and at peace with yourself. Now i'm not religious, but i think death is meaningful to everybody and it's important to experience the feelings, emotions and struggles that it brings. No-one was forced to watch it. Children too young to view it were likely sent to bed and i'm sure parents would be capable of not watching it if they didn't want their children exposed to it. No, this was a show for people who were like Gerald, willing to accept death as a fact of life. I consider that an admirable quality.

Slightly off topic, it's not actually the first time i've seen a person die for real. One of Jim Sterling's "Jimquisition" videos was entitled "video gamers don't want real violence", and he showed a slightly disturbing very old clip in which some American leader / senator / someone along those lines took out a gun out of a paper bag in public, looked at it, then put it in his mouth and shot himself in the head, all to avoid a scandal. Now, if the BBC showed that "depiction of a real death" on TV i could absolutely understand the outrage. It was shocking, it was violent, it was unsettling. Comparing the two deaths, there is a stark contast. I implore anyone with a strong constitution to watch the video for themselves and see what i mean.

the_green_dragon

Nov 18, 2009
We see death on TV all the time, sometimes even pretty reaslistic acting too! People get shot, mauled, stabbed, choked, drowned, spiked, crushed, poisoned ALL on TV, sure it's acting and this was real but does a little kid know that? And if you are old enough to tell the difference betweeen acting death and real death then maybe this video won't be so shocking anyway.

Think about it. Why is a guy dying peacefully on his bed such a horror shock when on the next channel some actor gets shot in the face or is bleeding to death in some Doctor show.

Plus, how many people have you shot or stabbed or set alight or thrown into a massive hole after shooting them in the balls then kicking them in the head?

Oh, if it offends you too much, change the channel, read a book or go outside

SillyBear

May 10, 2011
Trasken said:
This is an obvious and sick attempt to boost ratings
Have you even seen the show? It was beautiful and solely used to carry a message. It was real. It was not "sick" at all.

Also, the BBC doesn't really work like that.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Trolldor said:
arc1991 said:
This is wrong on SO many levels =| i can't believe the BBC have showed this!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2011/05/12/sick-grandad-becomes-first-person-in-britain-to-die-on-national-television-115875-23124043/

I actually can't believe the Family aloud it either, it's just...wrong! The BBC says it's for science, i say it's wrong and should not have been shown! What if kids were to have see this? it's just stupid and to be honest i think the family should be ashamed!

Your thoughts?
It was fine.

You're just too sensitive. Don't pull the bullox about "the children" because you are uncomfortable with it.

This is the world. This is reality. By showing people what actually happens we generate awareness and understanding.
I think i was just shocked that it was shown =\ the more i think about it, the more i'm accepting it. the more i read back on my original post the more i think wtf i was thinking =\

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
arc1991 said:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2011/05/12/sick-grandad-becomes-first-person-in-britain-to-die-on-national-television-115875-23124043/

I actually can't believe the Family aloud it either, it's just...wrong! The BBC says it's for science, i say it's wrong and should not have been shown! What if kids were to have see this? it's just stupid and to be honest i think the family should be ashamed!

Your thoughts?
I had a look at the page you linked, it's disgusting and shouldn't be allowed.

I actually can't believe that the Daily Mirror has the gall to criticise the BBC for a documentary showing the revered last movements of a person gently dying, surrounded by their family, then at the bottom of the page (below the big photograph of the old man's corpse) have this:

WHAT'S HOT AT MIRROR.CO.UK
MOST POPULAR VIDEO
Unseen 9/11
New video footage emerges of September 11th
What makes it even worse, apart from the hypocrisy and the fact that hundreds of people died a premature and unnatural death on that video, is that you have to sit through 30 of unskippable ads to see the death and destruction, so unlike the BBC who don't advertise, the Daily Mirror is actually profiting from broadcasting the deaths of hundreds or thousands of people.

You can't criticise someone for broadcasting the death of one person, then on the same page broadcast footage of a terrorist attack to generate advertising revenue.

I think the problem is with the source, not the story.

Nannernade

May 18, 2009
crazyfoxdemon said:
Nannernade said:
crazyfoxdemon said:
Wierdguy said:
As long as the old man allowed it... whats the big deal? >_>
I think the big deal is that it was on National Television..
Death is just a part of life, whether it's right in front of us or miles away shown to us through a screen, what is the difference?
I think people should have the right to expose themselves as much or as little to death as they want. Just because death is natural doesn't mean that everyone can handle it. And with it being on national television, some people who can't handle death probably saw it.
Fair enough argument, very well you have swayed me, have a good day.

Trolldor

Jan 20, 2011
Nannernade said:
crazyfoxdemon said:
Nannernade said:
crazyfoxdemon said:
Wierdguy said:
As long as the old man allowed it... whats the big deal? >_>
I think the big deal is that it was on National Television..
Death is just a part of life, whether it's right in front of us or miles away shown to us through a screen, what is the difference?
I think people should have the right to expose themselves as much or as little to death as they want. Just because death is natural doesn't mean that everyone can handle it. And with it being on national television, some people who can't handle death probably saw it.
Fair enough argument, very well you have swayed me, have a good day.
...Wait, you're telling me someone unintentionally watched a documentary about a guy with cancer who was dying long enough to witness his death scene which would have been pointed out to the audience as it approached?

They're own fucking fault for not changing the channel.

Jonabob87

Jan 18, 2010
Everyone encounters death, I don't see the necessity of showing it on TV. It's not the worst thing that's ever happened but it is...unsettling to think that we as a society have reduced our collective worth's to such an extent that we find it desirable to broadcast our final moments on the airwaves.

You could see this as more of the "Anyone can be famous" mentality of Britain, dead or alive.

Jonabob87

Jan 18, 2010
dogstile said:
My hat comes off the the granddad at the end. He is braver than I will ever, ever be. Props to BBC for dealing with that how they did. I can't imagine it being done in any other way.
What did he do that's so brave?

Arehexes

Jun 27, 2008
arc1991 said:
bob1052 said:
arc1991 said:
How is someone passing away from cancer something that is wrong to be shown. What damage will it do to children?
It's just un-easing, fair enough if he wanted it, but still leaves me feeling a little queasy.

And i admit i may of went a bit over the top about kids, still could be upsetting for them if they know what's going on though.
To be honest you seem to have the problem with this from what you just said.

Ogargd

Nov 7, 2010
Optional Opinion said:
If the Family don't mind and the man himself doesn't mind, then I see no harm.

I watched and it was fascinating.

If parents don't want their kids to watch questionable content then they shouldn't let them watch TV at that time (21:00). Anyway, I don't think the program would hold children's attention.
spot on

Rob Shogun

Sep 17, 2008
arc1991 said:

Your thoughts?

It may have been said already but I don't want to read through every other post to check but at the beginning of the program the presenter said that they would be showing it, if you've got sky its warned you about it in the info tab, I'm pretty sure that TV guides would be saying the same thing and I read about this in a newspaper weeks before it was aired. The point is, people were given prior warning, if you think its wrong or don't want to watch it, change the channel.

Also, I watched it, I cant say it didn't shock me to see it happen but death is a part of life, we all face it at some point and the program was showing what happens to the body process. The event wasn't aggrandized into some media event with a live audience and bets on what time it would happen, it didn't go on about it like it was the biggest thing they had to show, it was done in a very touching way.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Jonabob87 said:
dogstile said:
My hat comes off the the granddad at the end. He is braver than I will ever, ever be. Props to BBC for dealing with that how they did. I can't imagine it being done in any other way.
He was ok with dying. That's something I can't imagine being, its to scary a concept

Jonabob87

Jan 18, 2010
dogstile said:
Jonabob87 said:
dogstile said:
He was ok with dying. That's something I can't imagine being, its to scary a concept
Everyone's afraid of something! I suppose I'm cheating a little by believing in God.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Jonabob87 said:
dogstile said:
Jonabob87 said:
dogstile said:
Everyone's afraid of something! I suppose I'm cheating a little by believing in God.
Possibly a little. While you're going somewhere, I reckon i'm going back into the earth and having my essence absorbed by the worms that would eat my flesh.

I reckon theirs something after, I'm just terrified of finding out.

Aug 25, 2009
Budd Dwyer shot himself on live television in the 80s I believe.

But anyway.

If he wanted it, and it was after the watershed, and the family were okay with it, and it was handled tastefully, then I say not only fine, but bravo to the man for actually being quite brave with something so personal (sort of)

Don't get your knickers in a twist, this is just another example of people trying to shift blame onto the company showing it. If the content has been made clear, and you don't want to see it, then don't watch it and let those who are curious for whatever reason watch. If you're honestly worried about the children, I'd be more worried about the parents who don't check what television their children are watching.

Jonabob87

Jan 18, 2010
dogstile said:
Jonabob87 said:
dogstile said:
Jonabob87 said:
dogstile said:
Possibly a little. While you're going somewhere, I reckon i'm going back into the earth and having my essence absorbed by the worms that would eat my flesh.

I reckon theirs something after, I'm just terrified of finding out.
It probably helps that the guy has lived a long life too. I don't think death will seem so awful when you've been around for 80+ years.

Those worms help cultivate the soil, so you're helping maintain the eco system!