Sick of Captchas? How About Chess Puzzles?

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
As long as I'll only have to do it once when I sign in. Seriously The ad based captchas are counter productive: all they do is help memorize the companies I won't be buying anything from. Fuck-off Hopper!
How big is your list?

Mine includes:
Doritos
Subway
Century 21
Palmolive
Red Cross
GE

StashAugustine

Jan 21, 2012
Proverbial Jon said:
Just make every Captcha ask the question: Do you have a soul?

That oughta stump 'em.
Does this unit have a soul?

OT: A blog I comment on simply uses a checkbox, which seems to work fine. OTOH, it's much smaller so you can moderate it better.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I have a better idea. No, I have THREE better ideas.

{1} REMOVE CAPTCHA FROM YOUR SECURITY MEASURES.

{2} Put the at the registration choke-point.

{3} Make them all Blade Runner tests.

Any of these would be less annoying.

Mocmocman

Dec 4, 2012
randmonds4 said:
They will never suspect...
Everyone's talking about captchas being ineffective, but Mr. Spambot is here to prove them wrong!

EDIT: Quick question, why do their images never seem to work?

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
That's amazing. I'm just refreshing the page for fun at this point.

Also, the resistor one makes me feel like I'm in school. I've had enough resistors for today, thanks!

Akytalusia

Nov 11, 2010
*tries it a few times* it's pretty neat, and fun, and incalculably less annoying than ad captchas, but it would stop some humans too. it would violate the spirit of the captcha's. it's no good here.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
Easy to automatically 'solve'? Not too sure about that. The 'mission' is wordy text, the chess pieces have to be recognized visually and the mission has to be translated into a valid chess move.

I haven't tried messing it up, though. I doubt a bot could properly identify the task at hand, and I doubt it could just brute force through it

captcha: two left feet. Nice. Well, that never kept me from playing chess, you evil, nasty, vile captcha, you!

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
Headdrivehardscrew said:
Easy to automatically 'solve'? Not too sure about that. The 'mission' is wordy text, the chess pieces have to be recognized visually and the mission has to be translated into a valid chess move.

I haven't tried messing it up, though. I doubt a bot could properly identify the task at hand, and I doubt it could just brute force through it

captcha: two left feet. Nice. Well, that never kept me from playing chess, you evil, nasty, vile captcha, you!
Pretty easy to solve yeah, I could write a program to do that in a day if I was so motivated and I'm a pretty middling programmer. It's one of the "security from obscurity" captchas, as long as it's for one small chess site it's not worth the effort of breaking, similar to the "Are you a spammer" checkboxes used on some blogs.

On the flipside this would be brilliant as a Completely Automated Program to Tell Intelligent Human Beings from Average Youtube Users.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
I'd be happy if you'd just get rid of the ones telling me to gamble!

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
My time tested "Table Flip" strategy never fails to resolve the issue.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Escapist is the ONLY website where the capchas are often relevant and fun. this is probably the only site where after the update i stopped hatting them. though those advertisement ones or pick a word ones are stupid beyond belif.

P.S. capcha: main chance.
It knows, it knows, run for your lives, skynet is going into defence mode.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
cjbos81 said:
They should require you to describe the meaning of "love".

That's something a robot can never do.
thats something i cant do. oh wait, bad example, i am a robot.

Proverbial Jon said:
Just make every Captcha ask the question: Do you have a soul?

That oughta stump 'em.
How, exactly? neither humans nor robots have souls.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
xD My brain wasn't working today. I was stuck on the puzzle, scratching my head at it... then it hit me, I was trying to take my own king out. I facepalmed so hard.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
I only ever seem to get the Betfair advertisements on this site. They're not challenging to figure out and spambots could be made for them fairly easily.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
kailus13 said:
I only ever seem to get the Betfair advertisements on this site. They're not challenging to figure out and spambots could be made for them fairly easily.
Same here which I am getting tried of. No offence while I don't mind a few ads from a few companies but to only focus on Betfair? I don't even gamble nor do I intend to thanks to Betfair!

So are we going to get the chess puzzle anytime soon should many other websites used it too?

SwagLordYoloson

Jul 21, 2010
I really don't see what the big deal is, I just play the game of when a capatcha shows up when I want to post a comment. I move on, because it probably wasn't a good idea to post a comment anyway.