Signs Point To Imminent Dark Souls PC Port

blackdwarf

Jun 7, 2010
hmmm. bought the console version recently. but hey, i would probably take awhile for its release and even is just a port i'm happy. and i'm not really having problems with buying it again of that there is indeed some extra content.

Xpheyel

Sep 10, 2007
alwaysrockon said:
I still don't know how well it would work on PC. I loved demon souls and dark souls but I don't know, they seemed like they were meant to be played on controller, it just had a certain feel to it...much like fighting games I guess.
I suspect this also.

But the answer to that is to probably to plug in an Xbox controller.

Xeivous

Apr 5, 2011
alwaysrockon said:
I still don't know how well it would work on PC. I loved demon souls and dark souls but I don't know, they seemed like they were meant to be played on controller, it just had a certain feel to it...much like fighting games I guess.
I'm not so sure about that. we've got plenty of buttons and assuming that it is properly ported, we can always remap keys.

Sentox6

Jun 30, 2008
gigastar said:
Much like Yahtzee or Jim Sterling, pay it no heed because hes not about to stop it.
The problem is that I expect opinion-based content from Yahtzee or Jim Sterling.

When it's a post in "The News Room", I expect the content to be delivered professionally. I do not expect the addition of snide derision, condescension, or outright mockery. Even if that's exactly how I feel, that's not the way to deliver news. You generally won't catch reporters for most publications doing this; newspapers and news sites have dedicated opinion sections because that's a much more robust and mature way to handle things. We should demand as much from our gaming press.

I'm just going to get my gaming news elsewhere from now on.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Sentox6 said:
gigastar said:
Much like Yahtzee or Jim Sterling, pay it no heed because hes not about to stop it.
The problem is that I expect opinion-based content from Yahtzee or Jim Sterling.

When it's a post in "The News Room", I expect the content to be delivered professionally. I do not expect the addition of snide derision, condescension, or outright mockery. Even if that's exactly how I feel, that's not the way to deliver news. You generally won't catch reporters for most publications doing this; newspapers and news sites have dedicated opinion sections because that's a much more robust and mature way to handle things. We should demand as much from our gaming press.

I'm just going to get my gaming news elsewhere from now on.
How long have you been reading the Escapist again? :p
Also, not a news site. They've said it many times.

Sentox6

Jun 30, 2008
Scars Unseen said:
You should check my join date :p

They should take away the big whopping button labelled "NEWS" at the top then :|

My frustration is just that, as a relatively large site, newcomers might actually think this is the sort of standard they can expect from gaming journalists. Meh.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Sentox6 said:
Scars Unseen said:

They should take away the big whopping button labelled "NEWS" at the top then :|

My frustration is just that, as a relatively large site, newcomers might actually think this is the sort of standard they can expect from gaming journalists. Meh.
If that was the concern, then I would probably be more worried about the fact that he posted a rumor as "news."

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
guise709 said:
Hope it's a good port. If it is you'll be in for a real threat.
In a manner consistent with typical internet forum hijinks, I have duly repaired that statement on your behalf.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Oh god, please let it be so!
This one of the games I´ve been wishing i could play on my PC (since i don`t own consoles).
It looks so fun, dammit.
SO, yeah. I´m really hoping this isn`t some bizarre coincidence.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Far be it from me to be sour about any popular, previously console-only game making it over to the PC, but I have to confess that the notoriously "bash head against wall until indentation forms" Dark Souls wouldn't have been in my top ten choices. I just don't have the time or patience any more for games where a low reward/content-to-playtime ratio is part of the design.

Whodat

Jul 14, 2009
I signed hat petition for Dark Souls and I hope that this is the announcement. Ever since I sold my PS3 and my PS3 Dark Souls I've wanted to play it really badly.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
alwaysrockon said:
Man. If only you had the ability to use a controller on the PC. Or even be able to choose from a wide range of different controllers.

Alas you ca-what's this? That's a possibility?! By god man! To the news room!

Aeonknight

Apr 8, 2011
lRookiel said:
I plan on getting it, and this will be my strategy...

genuinely lol'd irl. Like it was mentioned before, was patched sadly.

Grats on the maybe getting Dark Souls for PC. Yall are gonna have a ball with this one.

Alexnader

$20 For Steve
May 18, 2009
Sentox6 said:
Scars Unseen said:

If you've been here that long I'm surprised you haven't noticed how "unprofessional" the "journalists" here are. They're writers, not necessarily journos. Their taking the writer of Critical Miss on to their news staff is one thing that could've tipped you off on this.

I like the Escapist News section for the same reason I like Rock Paper Shotgun, opinion and wit mixed with factoids and updates on the gaming industry.

While journalistic integrity is of course important, I don't feel that translates to maintaining total objectivity on everything you say, even on topics incidental to the story. I have no issue with the writers here offering their own opinions on the news they're reporting because none of it seems to be done in anything other than good faith. Was there anything in this article that you felt subverted the truth of the story? Were any opinions presented as fact?

Maybe I'm holding the Escapist to a different standard that I apply when complaining about Fox News for example. The main difference I see is that the Escapist as a content provider doesn't seem to have an agenda other than the presentation of entertaining content.

Anyway, I hope they do the port. Between Dark Souls, Uncharted and Journey I was starting to crack, I'd already begging my friends the use of their PS3s.

alwaysrockon

Sep 24, 2008
Frostbite3789 said:
alwaysrockon said:
Man. If only you had the ability to use a controller on the PC. Or even be able to choose from a wide range of different controllers.

yes, but I really doubt that everyone who plays it on PC will play it with a gamepad. A keyboard is awesome to play lots of games with but I wouldn't touch a game like street fighter with it even remotely in mind. I know that there is also key remapping, but still.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
alwaysrockon said:
Frostbite3789 said:
alwaysrockon said:

yes, but I really doubt that everyone who plays it on PC will play it with a gamepad. A keyboard is awesome to play lots of games with but I wouldn't touch a game like street fighter with it even remotely in mind. I know that there is also key remapping, but still.
People have this thing called preference. For every person who prefers using a controller, there's another who prefers not to and figures out how to do it. I for one think that playing any rpg with a controller is ass and hinders my own abilities to react to situations and navigate menus.

Dragon Age: Origins being a good example. Playing that game with a controller is horrendous.

Zetona

Dec 20, 2008
It would be nice to expose the game to a larger audience, but I'm already on New Game Plus on my PS3 version. It would be something of a disappointment if the announcement was just for a PC version of the game. The official Dark Souls Facebook page has ~130,000 fans, the vast majority of whom have played and enjoyed the game on consoles. That's where I first heard about the Dark Souls app. Why hype an announcement to a bunch of people who already have the game, only to have the announcement be about the game coming to a new platform? I know I'd rather hear about some new DLC.