Silicon Sisters Say Game Industry Still Doesn't Understand Women

mental_looney

Apr 29, 2008
No offense but as a female gamer their games look like nothing I would want to play ever. It's depressingly sexist oh girls just can't enjoy current games they need to be more about relationships and hugs and periods and I overstate but still blatant generalities about what "women" want.

Oh and there is far more to current games than shooting, driving and sports.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
You're kidding right? Women in my experience love RPG's and hack-n-slashes of which there are tonnes.

Herr Schatz

Jul 31, 2011
"I use nagging as an example. That's something women are incredibly good at: nagging people with our words and our thoughts and our bodies... and how do you translate something like that into a mechanic?" she said.

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
Way to stereotype girls there. Pretty much saying we are all manipulators. Thanks for that. Anyway I have no idea what they're talking about. I love 'guy' games just as much as guys do.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Do you not understand me when I say a difference is trivial? That means there is a difference, a statistically significant difference, but not by any means a large enough factor. I am not saying males/females are "exactly the same" or from the same place.

unabomberman said:
Or are you implying that males and females come form the same exact place when making their decisions?
How do I draw my conclusion that all these differences are trivial when it comes to games? From the millions of females gamers who love games that are NOT specifically made for females and are made even by a mostly male team.

None of your studies in any way linked brain scanning to entertainment preferences and it is scientifically dishonest to try to stretch it that far.

Show me the study that girls are crying out for a Sex and the City video-game - or something like that - then you can try on the high and mighty SCIENCE routine.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
mental_looney said:
No offense but as a female gamer their games look like nothing I would want to play ever. It's depressingly sexist oh girls just can't enjoy current games they need to be more about relationships and hugs and periods and I overstate but still blatant generalities about what "women" want.

Oh and there is far more to current games than shooting, driving and sports.
Really the problem is that here in the west we either make really pandering games for girls or we make games aimed at guys that girls happen to enjoy because they are awesome, the girls I mean. The best example of one that doest pander is probably the sims series, I would say it has more of a female aim I guess, still fun thought. I would be really interested to see what a mostly female dev would do with a huge budget and no publisher or crap trying to influence the content of their game, so they make barbies horse modeling or some other pandering crap.

Zefar

May 11, 2009
The first thought of the name made me think of breast implants. Not a good start for a name.

But why don't those women think women like cars and sport?

With driving I could make up the joke about bad female drivers and that they might not like it due to that but it just wouldn't be nice.
But in Sport we got plenty of women there that do pretty good too. I personally don't enjoy watching most type of sport on TV as it's boring as hell. But I was eager to play NHL2000 and other games in that series for the gameplay. It was fun being the player and smash people into walls and wounding them. Or going around the goal and the quickly try to get a goal. Worked for most times on older versions.

Football game hasn't been that fun for me though.

One thing I think most game developer do is to not see women in their game as a Sex object. As in having a breast size larger than what most girls would ever have. Or wearing such revealing clothes that they could just be going nude instead. Or running around in high heels while it's a fighting game. Like come on.

We could use less of that. Much less in fact.

jRPGs could also do away with most of such things and focus on a love story between two characters that is actually a love story.

They could also try to get different type of girls into jRPGs or normal RPGs that use Cell shade graphics. I wanna make one actually and I have so many things to throw into one.

fulano

Oct 14, 2007
Treblaine said:
Do you not understand me when I say a difference is trivial? That means there is a difference, a statistically significant difference, but not by any means a large enough factor. I am not saying males/females are "exactly the same" or from the same place.

unabomberman said:
Or are you implying that males and females come form the same exact place when making their decisions?
How do I draw my conclusion that all these differences are trivial when it comes to games? From the millions of females gamers who love games that are NOT specifically made for females and are made even by a mostly male team.

None of your studies in any way linked brain scanning to entertainment preferences and it is scientifically dishonest to try to stretch it that far.

Show me the study that girls are crying out for a Sex and the City video-game - or something like that - then you can try on the high and mighty SCIENCE routine.
We are extrapolating on the implications of known scientific data or ther asortment of statistics and how it affects baslenine human behavior--both you and I. There is no specific study geared towards entertainment choices, or video games specifically, if that is what you want to get at.

In short: you are still not drinking that sauce or even allowing yourself to consider that the sauce may be tasty indeed; even after I've laid out my arguments. Fine, I say.

Nice talking to you. Bye.

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
lol Silicon Sisters, just lol.

I'm going to go play my 4th non lethal playthrough of Deus Ex to celebrate your immense stupidity.