SimCity Expansion Could Add Offline Mode

conmag9

Aug 4, 2008
So, we'd have to pay extra to be able to actually play the game the way any sane person would have designed it?

Screw you sideways with a rusty poleaxe, EA.

CAPTCHA: Thick and thin. Yes, they are rather thick in the head, and thin on good ideas, aren't they?

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
So if making an offline mode constitutes an expansion are they basically admitting now that making it required in the first place was a contraction?

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
Ultratwinkie said:

Its broken. Its been broken well before the marketing scheme they called a beta.

Too little, too late. Simcity likely isn't making EA money and now they want a way out of the server costs.

As it is, reddit and the official forums are dead. Most of the threads are people bashing it, the new patch fixing nothing, or saying they stopped playing.

I don't even think anyone plays anymore. If you try to make games a service, you better hope you can offer actual service instead of excuses and half baked ideas.
Did I just spend 5 minutes watching a video stating how SimCity is broken because of the way the game displays the cars? Seriously? The way it shows the traffic?

That's so much of a non-issue it almost detracts from the validity of the legitimate complaints against the game, such as the pathfinding. You know, the way the cars actually move around the game world, rather than the spacing:speed ratio and such.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
yes, the whole league of 5 players still playing may enjoy this.
the offline "impossible" mode is finally out. and cities without limits will not really work due to lifecycle in the game and theres no avoiding traffic jams.

DVS BSTrD said:
TwoSidesOneCoin said:
Also, can't you do offline mode already via some tinkering?
I'm pretty sure somebody hacked that less then a week after the release.
if i remember correctly it took around 2 weeks till offline version showed up on torrent sites. at least the one whos forum i read (its sad when the best forum in your local language is on a torrent site.....)
edit: doublechecked, a month not two weeks......

1337mokro said:
Typical EA, re-releasing a crack as DLC :D
ouch, that was so hot it set whole (sim)city on fire.

oldtaku said:
2x the city size is still TINY. Why can't you allow SimCity 4 size as long as your PC can handle it?
if anything the "plot size" should be an option in world creator/chooser. and the more precide choices the better. the "infinite space til lyour pc freezes" are no good for low end pcs and long gameplay, but if you woudl be able to limit yourself aritificially to, say, 5 times the size of current cities, then you can still run it and still ahve a long gameplay hitting the walls of the map. I like what OpenTTD did with their map size choices, you can chose one of 10 sizes in height and weight going from 64 grids to 4096. so you could make a 64x64, a 4096x4096 or a 4096x46 if you dared the challenge of logistics. and the 64 was a quick few hour game while 4096 ones could last you weeks (like real weeks of gameplay) till explint even aprtially. was fun logging with 2 friends in a 1024x1024 map competing for area and then hoping we dont kill eachother businesses overnight :D i won by the sheer fact of finding a nice stable market and nolifing :D

Copper Zen said:
2) Was their initial surge of players lost like SW:TOR's player base after the first six months?
in comaprisong to SimCity, SW:TOR had a very lenghty lifecycle, if you get my meaning.

Cecilo said:
I wouldn't give any praise for this, Hackers and code breakers groups just finally revealed they have a working origin crack to make Simcity offline. This was revealed late last week. People can play Simcity 5 offline with a crack now, so what does EA do? Remove the DRM to try to get some good praise.
erm what? late last week. since i dont download, ill need a moment to check where i saw it last time.
2013-06-10
16:52:44
Yeah..... took them a month. (and it has patch 1,2 cracked too at least judging from the title), whatever that patch brings (i really dont read patchnotes)

Snazzymathematics said:
OT: Isn't the Xbox One doing that?
Yes, the first launch of Xbone will require internet to download a patch that allows you to play offline. because they went 180 after the machine was already built. and yes, thats the logic they use, sicne you know, everything is conencted all the time now right? right? hey where are you going?

hooblabla6262

Aug 8, 2008
Did they really need a survey to figure out that people would like all of these features?
Makes you wonder if this survey is even real. Or if EA is that dense.

Anyhoo, I bought the damn game. It's fun and broken. I'll build a city till the traffic slows my fire service, then watch the whole thing burn. Great burning-city simulator.

We should draw up some sort of video game industry standard for good business practices, and force it down the industries throat. Out of love.