Sims 3: Hit or not?

MarcusStrout

Sep 20, 2008
Seven expansion packs for the Sims 2, not to mention 6 Stuff Packs, and they finally got to the point of Making Magic in the original Sims. Maybe they'll smarten up and let you do stuff like that RIGHT OFF. I'd love to be able to fly around the neighborhood in a helcopter...

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
they've finally decided to expand from just being in one house? bout time.
I remember the days when i heard they were gonna expand into whole neighbourhoods when they were releasing the URBS (uuuurgh...)
So yeah, for me this sounds almost promising, i don't often play the Sims games because really they just ended up taking up space and doing nothing.
But that doesn't mean i don't bother to at least see what the games are like.
not having heard a huge amount on this i'll have to look into it a bit more before i could make an almost valid opinion but what i have seen doesn't look too over the top, Graphic-wise which is good, Sims has developed a certain style and it'd be wrong to screw with it too much.

The Personalities are being worked on, which couldn't hurt in all honesty, the more they can cram into their characters AI the better, although it'll someday arrive at that point where The Sims will become over-expensive tamagotchis only they'll be perfectly able to look after themselves, like when you train your creature too much in the first level of Black and White 2 and every level after that you only have to teach it how to kill, after that it's set for life.

And again, they're expanding to being in an entire neighbourhood, which can't be that bad, i've always wondered what the Sims were actually doing when you phone them up, and now with this system plus the added personality traits, you'll be able to actually see their responses happening, makes it so much more interesting.

Effectively they've merged The Sims and Sim City together.
At least that's how i'm planning to look at it.

Hey Joe

Dec 23, 2007
I'm already packed outside the local games store with my sleeping bag and laptop. I'm so looking forward to it, and I'm so sure that it's going to be a hit that I've camped out early to be first in line. It's not a dumb idea, no matter what Rosco the sales clerk says. Rosco is dumb...yes...you! NOW STOP LOOKING OVER MY SHOULDER WHILE I TYPE!

I'm excited yes, but I don't think this is going to be the revolution that Sims 2 was. Then again, it's early days so Maxis could come out and blow us all away with the addition of, hell, I dunno.....dinosaurs?

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Maybe if they actually release a whole goddamned game this time, not part of a game and eight expansions that make it a whole game.

I'm serious- addictive god gamplay, low sys requirements? I should be ALL OVER The Sims. But all the damn expansion packs scared me off. I'm a completist, I can't just pick and choose my expansions. Especially since I've yet to find a megapack with all eight of them...there is eight right? Thats not a joke?

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil post=9.72749.778326 said:
It will be a hit if, and only if, it's backwards compatible with the Sims 2.
You know we all said the same thing about NWN2 (in relation to Neverwinter Nights).

It wasn't.

runtheplacered

Oct 31, 2007
Khell_Sennet post=9.72749.771890 said:
The Sims was by far superior to the Sims2.
Yeah, I don't agree with that at all. Especially when you say "by far". That sounds like a stretch. Sims 2 was definitely the better game if for no other reason then it was the first game with better graphics and more gameplay options.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
I doubt it'll be any better than 1 or 2, but it'll sell like hotcakes. I heard a rumor that EA was going to make a Sims division, they were so popular.

runtheplacered

Oct 31, 2007
TsunamiWombat post=9.72749.778313 said:
there is eight right? Thats not a joke?
Yes, there is 8. But you're forgetting the 10 (the 10th is coming soon) stuff packs that you can get for it, too. If you're a completest, you can't forget those.

Humanfishboy

Aug 9, 2008
Zallest post=9.72749.774590 said:
NO WILL WRIGHT NO! YOU WILL NOT HAVE MY MONEY! I WILL NOT BUY A NEW GAME AND NEW EXPANSION PACKS FOR THE SAME CONTENT I W.... Whats that? you have combined PETS and MAKING MAGIC into MAKING MAGIC PETS?!?! SIGN ME UP!
Will Wright isn't involved in The Sims 3 I don't think. Quoting Wikipedia [The Sims (Wright is credited for, but did not design most of The Sims 2, and is not designing The Sims 3)]

I dunno if I'll get The Sims 3. The Sims 2 already has everything I could ever want, y'know? Character customization, charming, cartoony aesthetic. And the STORY TOOL - best thing ever.

Jolly Madness

Mar 21, 2008
I got crazy from Sims 2 after having the grand-grand-grand-grand son of my original couple of sims end up in the graveyard with my original sims still alive and kicking, they were perfect!
But no, I bought one expansion pack for number 1 (Holiday). And I had number 2, but no way in hell I'll buy number three, I got better use for my time then setting... sims on fire! WOO! Good times, I'm going to find out what ways I can torture my sims with, then I might buy it.

SallyGrim

Aug 10, 2008
I won't buy the Sims 3 when it comes out, if I do buy it I'll wait at least 10 weeks for the first patch to come out with the 87 bug fixes.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
My biggest concern about Sims 3 isn't how well-implemented the "whole neighborhood" gameplay will be. It's not "how much stuff will they leave out on purpose and charge a net sum of $200+ for to have the same functionality of the first two games?" It's not "just how deep into the Uncanny Valley do they want to go with these computer people?"

Nope. My #1 concern is the DRM. Will EA learn its lesson? If they don't, this game will have the distinction of being the first retail product I've ever pirated while it was still available in stores (abandonware is a grey area, but I've never stolen that which I could still legally buy.)

PersianLlama

Aug 31, 2008
Marcosco post=9.72749.771807 said:
Lets see here.

Godpower over little people? Check.
Artful Architecture? Check.
You can set them on fire? Check.
What do we do now?

SEQUELIZE IT!

Will Wright has been milking the Sims franchise for all it is worth. The Sims was a monumental step up in the customization process from the earlier SimCities, and The Sims 2 was more of the same, with full 3D and better graphics. With reportedly over 3,600 traits for your Sims and thousands of objects and construction tools to customize, will the Sims 3 be the best yet? Or will it shit the bed if customization goes too far?

EDIT:http://thesims3.ea.com/view/pages/home.jsp?languageCode=en
It's Sims, there's nothing good about it.

insectoid

Aug 19, 2008
It's the Sims. Bottom line is that it's a hugely successful franchise, so they're going to milk it as long as possible.

Personally, The Sims doesn't appeal to me, I probably still get to play it (sister will probably get it), but I'm nowhere near counting down to the realease or anything like that.

I think it's good that they aren't upping the graphics all that much, it means the fans of the series (generally more 'casual' gamers) will still be able to play it. If they upped the graphics too much, they'd lose a whole slice of their target audience.

As for being able to explore the neighbourhood, about damn time I say!

What really annoys me about The Sims, though, is the sheer amount of expansion packs...