Simulated Cat Brain Heralds the End of the World

Dyp100

Jul 14, 2009
Nerdgasm?

Humanity are Gods, or will be, nature will be our *****, and all will be good.

...Atleast for a while.

MGlBlaze

Oct 28, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
The computer uses 147,456 processors and 144 terabytes of memory, yet still thinks about 100 times slower than a real cat.
This pretty neatly demonstrates just how god-damn powerful a brain is, even of smaller mammals.

I think people are over-reacting with the whole 'skynet' thing though. I say wait until it proves to be malevolent and can access every other piece of electronic equipment on the planet, AND control them in an equally malevolent manor.

This is a pretty groundbreaking simulation, but people need to get a damn grip. Anything even CLOSE to simulating sentience is a long, long way off.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
The irony here is that with that much power, the thing really would crash if it found itself in a sunbeam.

Georgeman

Mar 2, 2009
Seriously, knock it off with those Terminator references. Today, we had at least two. God knows if a single week passes without hearing one from the Escapist staff.

Now, let's see whether the whole artificial intelligence hubbub is worth all the millions spent on it.

fletch_talon

Nov 6, 2008
Greyfox105 said:
Wow. I think I'd feel safe if Skynet was controlled by a cat, as they know who their friends are (Cat person here).
Fool.
Cats have no friends, only staff.

smudgey

May 8, 2008
RebelRising said:
After reading this, I opened a tab to comedy website "Cracked," only to find, on the main page, an article titled:

"6 Adorable Cat Behaviors With Shockingly Evil Explanations" [http://www.cracked.com/article/226_6-adorable-cat-behaviors-with-shockingly-evil-explanations/]

[small]...hold me.[/small]
That article has just made my day :)

OT, i think i'll go out and buy a shitload of vacuum cleaners....

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Why is it that as soon as someone starts talking about artificial intelligence people start screaming "Skynet!!!11!!one!". I mean geez people, I don't think there is anything inherantly wrong with robots or AI, READ some Issac Asimov, and he's the guy who invented the word "Robot".

Fbuh

Feb 3, 2009
My cat is a bastard. A furry, adorable, purring, bastard. He knows door knobs are what open doors. When he wants in or out of my room, he stretches up and bats the door knob, looking and me and meowing until I open it. He also likes sleeping on my books and papers when ever I have serious studying to do.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Therumancer said:
Why is it that as soon as someone starts talking about artificial intelligence people start screaming "Skynet!!!11!!one!". I mean geez people, I don't think there is anything inherantly wrong with robots or AI, READ some Issac Asimov, and he's the guy who invented the word "Robot".
No, Captain Killjoy, he isn't. He did create the Three Laws of Robotics, but Karel Capek actually coined the term "robot."

Nova5

Interceptor
Sep 5, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Scientists claim that the computer doesn't actually think like a cat, which is of course exactly what you'd expect them to say once it became public knowledge that they'd essentially created Skynet with the brain of a furry, fanged messenger of death that likes to kill things for fun.
Oh no! Now it'll try to take over the world for all of our yarn and cat toys!
Well, at least it can't self-replicate... Yet.

OT: This is a bit confusing. So.. It's a simulated cat brain, but it's not capable of thinking like a cat... Did they just attempt to simulate the hardware without the O/S, or what?

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Ekonk said:
Why does everyone always assume Artificial Intelligences will think 'Wahey, I think, therefor I am! LET'S FRY SOME MOTHERFUCKING HUMANS'
I will quote a line that I think they should've put in "The Matrix":

"Because the machine is the child of man... and like father, like son."