Skryim is outdated

Macrobstar

Apr 28, 2010
Duffeknol said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
Duffeknol said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
The game has literally hundreds of hours of gameplay, and you're here describing a day's worth of play at most.

Yeah.

Sorry but I just can't wholeheartedly take your judgement as full and fair here. Especially not with a game that's supposed to be as massive in size as Skyrim.

That'd be like me bashing GTA4 after playing just the first 6 missions.
Oh my good lord does no one READ on these forums!?

I'm addressing stuff that is part of the game's core. The animations, AI, physics, stuff like that. Stuff that's the same in the introduction as it will be in the end-game. I think those could've been done better.

Of course fucking of course the game is massive, that's why I didn't even comment on missions, world, storyline or anything like that whatsoever, because that would've been bullshit indeed.
All the stuff you've complained about is literally prevalent in 90% of video games today. So Skyrim really isn't outdated. It just doesn't use the Euphoria engine...

Calling the game outdated based on AI, and physics is one thing, but if your not going to take into account all of the other new features that show progressions, (dual wielding, the leveling system being not stupidly redundant, the upgraded graphics making NPCs NOT look uncanny valley, the better details, the Radiant A.I./ Radiant Story system) then yo can't really say that you've looked at the "core" of the game because there's a lot that you didn't even comment on, or get to fully experience.
See? Now that's a valid point.
I'll admit I didn't mention any of the positive changes they made. I did do that a few pages after. Then again this is a complaints thread, it's not a review of the game. For that, I'll have to play a whole lot more than the few hours that I did. I simply played the game, found some things at the game's core (part of its core are the technical aspects) I didn't like at all, and I complained about them. The things that I mentioned are indeed outdated. Calling the entire game that might have been indeed a bit too short-sighted of me.
I'll rephrase; Skyrim has an outdated physics and animations system, which is kind of a bummer for me, especially since all the complaints I have, are the same as they were in Oblivion. I believe Bethesda could've at least tried to work some more with the critique they got last time. The rest of the game still seems like a lot of fun.
Outdated is the wrong word since the physics and animation engine is brand new, maybe bad to you, but not outdated

Necromancist

Jul 3, 2008
Duffeknol said:
BloatedGuppy said:
Duffeknol said:
No, because Bethesda. Apparently I'm here to shatter other people's dreams with my magic wand of valid criticism.
What I'm unclear on is the "it's a reskinned Oblivion" when it's running in a completely different engine. Were all the demonstration videos showing different animations merely elaborate hoaxes, and this forum post from Ein is The Truth? Or are you possibly exaggerating a touch?
I'm not. When I shoot someone with an arrow and he flops to death like his bones just got beamed into space (Yahtzee reference) and then his friend starts running at me, getting caught behind a stone pillar yet keeps on running, I'm not exaggerating.

Also werewolves = deathclaws. One on one copy of animation model.

Don't believe me?

Skip to the end.
Bit late to reply, but I watched the video. While I agree that the animations seem BASED on the deathclaw ones (especially the idle posture) there are definetly new ones and the existing animations have been tweaked.

The first attack animation seems based off the "charge-up sideways slash) animation of a FO3 / New Vegas deathclaw, though quicker, with no chargeup time and with more of an angle - the deathclaw one is more or less a perfectly horizontal sweep, whereas the werewolf slashes at a more overhead angle. Also, the deathclaw version of the attack has the creature angling its head upwards when winding up before the slash; the werewolf doesn't.

The second is a back-handed swipe that is, to my knowledge, entirely new because I've never ever seen a deathclaw do that.

The third is a sort of quick uppercut. I've seen deathclaws use a similar attack, however it's slightly slower and has a more obvious change in posture associated with it. Like the first attack animation, the deathclaw version has it rearing its head up and moving its arms into a more defensive position around its torso and stomach before returning to its idle pose. Moreover, based on how it's running it seems to be meant as an attack it uses on the move (the deathclaw version has it standing in one place) - I assume it's bugged and the werewolf is not supposed to use that attack when fighting standing still.

And finally, the running animation is rather clearly based off the deathclaw one, but again, there has been tweaking. It sways its head and arms as it runs, and is bending its arms while holding them slightly out to the sides. In FO3 and New Vegas, deathclaws run at you with their arms in a mostly static "Gimme a bear hug!" pose.

So yeah, the animations are based off the deathclaw but have been tweaked enough that they DEFINETLY cannot be accused of having been copied wholesale from the Fallout games.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
As some others said, I'm not particularly bothered by this.

In in the end, all I want is more of what Oblivion was, but with different levelling (both of yourself and enemies", prettier, and with dragons.

Sure, it would have been nice if they'd done more with stuff you mentioned, but honestly, all of those things are pretty much staples of Bethesda games and rather expected.

Elsarild

Oct 26, 2009
Duffeknol said:
Played it yesterday for a few hours since a buddy of mine got it (legally) early on PS3.
Yes, it looks nice, but why does everything else feel the same? The same weightless physics, the same horrible character animations, the same awkward standstill conversations (though now not as zoomed in, and sometimes they even move their hands), the same absolutely idiotic AI...

Now, I had some fun with Oblivion, it's a good game, especially for its time, but why is the ONLY damn thing they've improved over the years the graphics? They've had so much time, yet most of the stuff we get is directly ported over from Oblivion. Worst was when two characters were standing in front of each other, completely motionless (save for their faces), shouting at the top of their lungs something like 'OH MY GOD A DRAGON WTF WTF WTF'. I mean, shit. Another thing was when a character runs for his life (again, with the exact same character animations of people running in Oblivion), then when he's reached his waypoint he turns around to meet you super damn slowly like everything is alright.

It's like they took all the (valid) criticism they got with Oblivion (a good game, but by far not perfect) and just decided to disregard EVERYTHING.

Oh well, it'll still be a nice walk-in-the-mountains simulator.

EDIT: before I get even more fire. It's not that I don't enjoy this game. I love walking in the mountains. It's just that it could've been better and they could've done something with the critique they got last time.
Well, Bethesda has never been the top of the line.

I remember when everyone was excited for Oblivion because it was so difficult to run, and didn' run on a majority of computers and such, back then, my computer kicked that games arse, and today, I could run 8 diffrent Oblivions and not feel it.

Same with Skyrim now, people have to buy it on console, because their PC can't handle it (or because they prefer consoles, but some are force to too) others have to upgrade, and again, my computer is gonna chew up this game and spit it out because I invested alot of dough in this thing.

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
Meh, so what if it's outdated? As long as the story and game mechanics are good then it's fine. The Elder Scrolls have an amazing and talented community of modders. Just wait a bit and cherry pick the best mods. I for one will be stalking Robert's Bodies if I disagree with the character models.

It was the mods that made me enjoy Oblivion so much.

Duffeknol

Aug 28, 2010
nuba km said:
[HEADING=1]WAIT A MOMENT[/HEADING]
all you said was stuff that happened in the 22min demo that is on youtube and I am sure the characters standing there having a conversation weren't the ones who were talking about dragons, and the reason the guy stopped running for his life is because gameplay demos like that are normally scripted a lot more then the actual game.

So, I am going to go with a lot of people and call troll on oyu till I have played the game and can judge for myself.
go to page two and read my spoilers

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Oh well, I guess I'll have to wait to form my own opinion as opposed to blindly reacting to someone else's.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
To all the people who can't understand the Skyrim hype. Imagine there was a game you adored. Then imagine that a sequel didn't come out for 6 years.

Would you be excited?...:|

...Right then I think that's that cleared up.

CoL0sS

Nov 2, 2010
Duffeknol said:
AppleShrapnel said:
Also, I've yet to see physics anywhere that weren't a little floaty.
Any game with Euphoria implemented in it.
That's why it usually takes me three times to get through the fucking door :D

OT: Well this was (kinda) expected. As you pointed out, it could be seen from trailers and gameplay vids. I can't really explain why, since I'm big Elder Scrolls fan, but I'm not looking forward to this game as much as I'd like to. Since that quakecon demo, that didn't show off much of anything I decided not to read Skyrim-related news and just let the game surprise me. Besides, it's not fair to judge TES games, based on 30-min video. I just hope it will add enough new things and variety to break possible repetition and "I've seen this before" feeling. I'm not reassured so far, it just seem more of the same. Hope they prove me wrong.
This is by no means a criticism of a game I haven't even played yet, just voicing my little fear.

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
Kind of what I expected. Though, games lasting effect on me is usually measured in things like the detail that is given to the world and general polish. Oblivion, the new Fallout games and even Deus Ex HR never really had much power in the graphics department, but they really sold me on their worlds and the detail put into them. Especially something like Fallout or Deus Ex where the developers always put their time into making a somewhat believable world around them and interesting atmosphere, even if the NPCs look and sound a little lifeless or underwhelming.

electric_warrior

Oct 5, 2008
Considering the number of irritating tits who still harp on about how bad Oblivion is, I think I'll take what you say with a pinch of salt.

I'm still psyched and it would take something worse and more definite than "Its still a bit floaty" to even come close to putting me off.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
*sees first comment*
smh at troll

anyway, it sure does look real nice (well would look nice if I had updated my PC in the past year). but yeah small things like basic character animation and lack of euphoria or...I dunno little niggling issues like that bother me a little. doesn't hurt the game, just the immersion.

cloud1138

Mar 6, 2009
i might be hated for this but i liked Morrowind more than Oblivion just Morrowind seemed more realistic and the creatures seemed like something you'd see living in a warm wet environment in Oblivion i didn't get to see any really fantastic creatures and i felt like i was in a sub par LOTR game

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
I don't see how you think the animations are the same. They look pretty fantastic to me. I just watched the new video about Skyrim animations and they look about a thousand times better than Oblivion.

Macrobstar

Apr 28, 2010
Yopaz said:
A game made for the same hardware as Oblivion doesn't have graphics that are far superior to Oblivion? That's surprising.
But it does have graphics far superior to oblivion, skyrims look awesome, oblivions textures are all super smooth.
Do PC gamers all have this notion that because consoles are 5 years old the graphics are as well? thats not how it works

silasbufu

Aug 5, 2009
Furioso said:
Is there claw type weapons, I can't find anyone saying it isn't in the game, but that would make my sneaky Raptor-esque Argonian build so much better

Oh yea, I'm one of those weird people who actually thought the silly character animations were funny, and more enjoyable because of that, I enjoy a few stupid looking things as long as it doesn't impact gameplay
If you play a Khajit or whatever it's called , your unarmed attacks are clawed. I don't know about argonians sorry.