Skryim is outdated

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Macrobstar said:
Yopaz said:
Macrobstar said:
Yopaz said:
A game made for the same hardware as Oblivion doesn't have graphics that are far superior to Oblivion? That's surprising.
But it does have graphics far superior to oblivion, skyrims look awesome, oblivions textures are all super smooth.
Do PC gamers all have this notion that because consoles are 5 years old the graphics are as well? thats not how it works
Actually that's exactly how it works. The development tools and the optimizing gets better with trial and error, but the capabilities of the Xbox 360 and the PS3 is the same now as it was 5 years ago.
Obviously but the actual graphics quality isn't as bad as 2006
Oh, my bad. I thought I posted that there had been made better developer tools and that the optimizing was increased in my last post. That must have slipped my mind, my bad.

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
Yeah, sorry, but I'll wait until the game is out for everyone before I trust a random person on the internet (who apparently has a friend who got it early). For a game this anticipated, I wouldn't be surprised if there a some people out there who want to upset everyone before the game is out.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
This isn't really all that surprising. Bethesda's has always been rather poor at injecting any real sense of urgency into their plot, or personality into their characters.

They just have so much touch-up work to do on the pretty pretty graphics and models that their games never really comes alive; yet are touted as such.

But I admit: the OP has some stones in trying to derail the absurd hype-train prematurely.

Duffeknol

Aug 28, 2010
And still, even after editing the first post, people come here saying the same thing over and over and over. 'ya that's not so bad what r u complaining about it'll still be fun.'

Yes. That is indeed exactly what I actually said. Thank you.

Also added the google link that it's been released here for all the mindless 'troll' callers.

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
EvilMaggot said:
DOVAHKIIN DOVAHKIIN
NAAL OK ZIN LOS VAHRIIN
WAH DEIN VOKUL MAHFAERAAK AHST VAAL
AHRK FIN NOROK PAAL GRAAN
FOD NUST HON ZINDRO ZAAN
DOVAHKIIN FAH HIN KOGAAN MU DRAAL

AHRK FIN KEL LOST PRODAH
DO VED VIING KO FIN KRAH
TOL FOD ZEYMAH WIN KEIN MEYZ FUNDEIN
ALDUIN FEYN DO JUN
KRUZIIK VOKUN STAADNAU
VOTH AAN BAHLOK WAH DIIVON FIN LEIN

a cookie to the person who knows where this comes from, from skyrim ;) and ill support a translation :)
Dragonborn Dragonborn
By his honor is sworn
To keep evil forever at bay
And the fiercest foes rout
When they hear triumph's shout
Dragonborn for your blessing we pray

And the scrolls have fortold
Of black wings in the cold
That when brothers wage war come unfurled
Alduin bane of kings
Ancient shadow unbound
With a hunger to swallow the world

It's the poem.

Piecewise

Apr 18, 2008
Really? Bethesda, which has already made 3 games by basically copy pasting the first game with some gameplay and texture tweaking, is doing it again? Wow, who could have possibly seen that coming?

Really though, if you watched even one of those gameplay videos this all should have been obvious to you. They basically made Oblivion 2, with some updates and fixes but a lot of the same problems. And I think that a lot of that can be blamed squarely on the fans. The second that they even hinted about trying something new or improving the combat or anything, people were screaming at them to stop. So, they gave the people what they wanted, another oblivion. And frankly, if you were expecting anything else, you're pretty silly.

EvilMaggot

Sep 18, 2008
jboking said:
EvilMaggot said:
DOVAHKIIN DOVAHKIIN
NAAL OK ZIN LOS VAHRIIN
WAH DEIN VOKUL MAHFAERAAK AHST VAAL
AHRK FIN NOROK PAAL GRAAN
FOD NUST HON ZINDRO ZAAN
DOVAHKIIN FAH HIN KOGAAN MU DRAAL

AHRK FIN KEL LOST PRODAH
DO VED VIING KO FIN KRAH
TOL FOD ZEYMAH WIN KEIN MEYZ FUNDEIN
ALDUIN FEYN DO JUN
KRUZIIK VOKUN STAADNAU
VOTH AAN BAHLOK WAH DIIVON FIN LEIN

a cookie to the person who knows where this comes from, from skyrim ;) and ill support a translation :)
Dragonborn Dragonborn
By his honor is sworn
To keep evil forever at bay
And the fiercest foes rout
When they hear triumph's shout
Dragonborn for your blessing we pray

And the scrolls have fortold
Of black wings in the cold
That when brothers wage war come unfurled
Alduin bane of kings
Ancient shadow unbound
With a hunger to swallow the world

It's the poem.
And a cookie for you dear sir:

Also... if you listen its used in this aswell:

Instant K4rma

StormFella
Aug 29, 2008
I've been playing Oblivion for 5 years and still love it to death.

New graphics? New engine? New environment? Some new mechanics?

That's a big change when I have damn near 400 hours on Oblivion. I, personally, can't wait for Skyrim.

Thomas Rembrandt

Feb 17, 2010
Savagezion said:
I have always wanted to enjoy TES games but the closest they came was Morrowind but the NPC crap just butchered it for me. To me, this looks like streamlined Morrowind with better dialogue.
It's a shame really. Good NPCs are can make even a mediocre game (looking at you Mass Effect) amazingly immersive, and that is all I want from an RPG. Not instant gratification like fast leveling or cool perks/skills (although that helps of course), but the escapism (aren't we all here for that ;-) )it provides.

I feel the Elder Scrolls games try to provide an open world but somehow neglect the elements that make it really life-like. Gothic 1 and 2 were much smaller games but characters in it accompanied you (not literally, but on occasion you met them when you least expected them) through the entire story. I miss that.

AppleShrapnel

Jan 2, 2010
OP: I think the big problem is you chose an utterly horrendous title for the thread.

"Skyrim is outdated" is just gonna get bored fanboys waiting for the game (like me) on the defensive, and in all likelihood, skip a lot of posts and vent/rage at you directly.

Now granted, I don't know what a good title would be for the type of discussion you're looking for here... but anyhoo, as stated a few times already, you really should've waited longer so other people without access to friggin' press copies could chime in without blind speculation and/or straight-up rage.

Frankly, I haven't the foggiest of what you were expecting... /:|

But apparently you like it, so... yay?

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
Aetherlblade said:
Jegsimmons said:
Nieroshai said:
Unless you're pals with an official reviewer, I can't see how you could be playing an actual copy of the game.
i smell trouble a brewin!!!
really, you guys just dont read. like has been said before, it released early in the netherlands.
really, you just dont understand sarcasm...

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
So yeah, the physics still aren't great and you say the AI behaves badly, is that all? I mean, that sucks, that's too bad but if that's it, I'm okay with that. With the scale of this game you can't expect the AI to be constantly top notch, nothing is pre-planned, you have to be ready to sacrifice some things. I would love a game that behaves perfectly in each scenario but has the scale and freedom of a Bethesda game, I think we are still a while away from games like that, maybe Fallout 4, who knows.

Duffeknol

Aug 28, 2010
Thomas Rembrandt said:
It's a shame really. Good NPCs are can make even a mediocre game (looking at you Mass Effect) amazingly immersive, and that is all I want from an RPG.
Amen, Eisenhorn.

Mrrrgggrlllrrrg

Jun 21, 2010
I dont know about you but from what I saw Character animation were a ton better and is actually playable in third person.

And the dragons even talk a little in a sexy voice.

Duffeknol

Aug 28, 2010
Mrrrgggrlllrrrg said:
I dont know about you but from what I saw Character animation were a ton better and is actually playable in third person.

And the dragons even talk a little in a sexy voice.
Yes, your own character animation from the 3rd person looks fine. Then again it was hard to do a worse job than Oblivion when it came to that.

When it come so the NPCs; noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

sharkinz

Apr 26, 2010
Since when does a game have to be revolutionary in every way to qualify as a good game. Why can't the game being fun (which is, you know, the whole point of video games) be a good enough reason to play the game.

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
There's only so much you can improve with technology while still keeping the vast, detailed world of people, places, and events that Bethesda is known for. I never expected technical glitches to be improved.

The improvements made from Oblivion were always going to be based on the leaps in design quality and feel of the game. Varied and expansive environments, intricately designed and memorable dungeons, complex and interesting characters, enigmatic and narrative-driven quests.

This is what I expected from Skyrim.

Duffeknol

Aug 28, 2010
AppleShrapnel said:
OP: I think the big problem is you chose an utterly horrendous title for the thread.

"Skyrim is outdated" is just gonna get bored fanboys waiting for the game (like me) on the defensive, and in all likelihood, skip a lot of posts and vent/rage at you directly.
Well, considering this thread is about Skyrim being outdated on a technical level, I believe the title is quite appropriate.

If this leads to idiotic fanboys coming in here to rage and not even finish reading the post, that's their problem, not mine.

xdiesp

Oct 21, 2007
Give it a rest, Baldur's Gate has still the best RPG experience on any gaming system and the characters look like rendered spit.