Skullgirls Artist Weighs In on Sexism Controversy

TheDooD

Dec 23, 2010
yunabomb said:
From what I have seen so far, Skullgirls is sexist, but not nearly as bad as most fighting games.

The problem isn't really that the characters are sexy or sexualized. The problem is that a lot of this sexiness has the purpose of fanservice (take a look at the screen shots for Valentine. Her stances are designed to show off boobage). When characters are designed to show off to presumeably male, heterosexual players, it cheapens the characters. This is a big problem in gaming (just look at Mortal Kombat. All the female characters are showing off all the time).

Now, how the characters act and comport themselves makes Skullgirls's portrayal of its characters far better than that of other fighting games. Their actions show off their personality and style. Whereas in other games the female characters are frequently showing off their hotness for the players.
Valentine is also currently the oldest character in the roster at 27 so by then she can all well show off whatever she wants. Why when a character shows off to a male / hetero players it "cheapens" the character. This is something I find very unfair that as a part of that demographic I can't enjoy it because it somehow lessens the worth of the character.

Also you say it cheapens the character but then in that regard whatever that makes the character standout and appeal to somebody. By your logic it somehow cheapens the character. Like Ms Fortune's bad puns, Peacock is a walking homage to at lease 20 things, Cerebella's bust and cocky / lighthearted attitude.

Don't forget Parasoul's Regal air and the fact she shows off her legs. I think Valentine pays homage to Mai Shiranui. Filia really pays homage to Millia Rage and Eddie/Zato-1 from Guilty Gear. All the characters have something that'll attract fans and the main thing is that you play a character that you'll want to play as. So it'll be a good idea you don't mind looking the the design.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
There are two powers at work here. On one side people are not allowed to be attracted to sexy women. On the other side, people are allowed to find hookers and strippers sexy and attractive.

Both sides are crazy. I choose the middle, hookers and strippers when it's necessary, chivalry all the rest of the time.

Edit: If someone else finds the game sexist, should I care?

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
I've got one of the Fight Night games and it's ALL men, prancing around in boxer shorts!

I'm offended!

IF Skullgirls is sexist, it's still less offensive than many other games. I'm not saying it should get a free pass because it's a lesser evil, of course, but if someone was offended, I'd just like them to know they've got the word of this game out to thousands more people by stropping off about it.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
yunabomb said:
From what I have seen so far, Skullgirls is sexist, but not nearly as bad as most fighting games.

The problem isn't really that the characters are sexy or sexualized. The problem is that a lot of this sexiness has the purpose of fanservice (take a look at the screen shots for Valentine. Her stances are designed to show off boobage). When characters are designed to show off to presumeably male, heterosexual players, it cheapens the characters. This is a big problem in gaming (just look at Mortal Kombat. All the female characters are showing off all the time).

Now, how the characters act and comport themselves makes Skullgirls's portrayal of its characters far better than that of other fighting games. Their actions show off their personality and style. Whereas in other games the female characters are frequently showing off their hotness for the players.
One thing I still don't understand: Why is designing characters to visually appeal to men sexist?

Sexism is something like this: Women shouldn't be paid as much as men to do the same job, because they aren't as valuable.

Or this: Women should not be allowed to vote in elections because they aren't intelligent or responsible enough to make that sort of decision.

Or this: Women need a male guardian to make decisions for them such as whether or not they can have a job.

Sexism is asserting that women should have fewer rights than men. The decision to portray female characters in sexy outfits and provocative poses has nothing to do with the discussion of women's equality (which is still a very relevant discussion in many countries), and everything to do with appealing to a target market.

Based on the artwork, Skullgirls is no more sexist than making Dante shirtless in Devil May Cry 3.

OneOfTheMichael's

Jul 26, 2010
The only sexist thing about this, is the fact that there are no males.
Otherwise, nothing really needed to take notice about this game.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Ken_J said:
Anyone else really happy that this controversy is happening? Not because we can shout our opinions about sexism, but because this game is getting press off of it and more people will know that it exists.
Ain't no such thing as bad publicity. It's what kept those shows on the air for so long.

cricket chirps

Apr 15, 2009
I had never heard of this game until now and upon seeing the art style and reading about what the game will be like i already want to get it soooooo XD "There's no such thing as bad publicity" i guess that is always true to some extent.

bladescavenger

May 9, 2011
People make my head hurt...If you don't like it...STOP PLAYING/LOOKING/WATCHING IT...and let those who enjoy w/e it is be it any form of media, to enjoy it! I think people just like starting stuff, for the heck of it, and those people tend to be fanatics that are more hypocritical than anyone. People are free to develop, create, draw, program, w/e they want, its a free country...atm at least lol, and for those of you who don't like it...it is your freedom to leave those who do ALONE! lol. *off soap box* but seriously people who get offended so easily need a better hobby lol

mooncalf

<Insert Avatar Here>
Jul 3, 2008
I think it's been blown completely out of proportion. Someone made a stupid comment (this game is sexist...?) and now everyone has to line up for whether it was a stupid comment or a stupid comment with a grain of truth, a grain which has now snowballed into an avalanche of more stupid.

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
CK76 said:
Yokai said:
At the same time, the arguments against the sexism accusations come across as petty and grasping at straws, and I noticed at least one case of
Thanks for posting that comic, a curious insight.

I play a lot of Japanese games (JRPGs) and one thing my friends point out is "many of the men are feminine in design" meaning lean like your comic depicts. Oddly, I identify more with lean male protagonist as opposed to bulky ones and prefer them (likely to do with fact I am lean).

Duke Nukem makes me more uncomfortable than Cloud Strife.
I see what you're getting at. To be honest I'm not really a fan of effeminate male protagonists, but I don't like Duke and Fenix type brick shithouses either. It's best when they come across as manly without being hugely muscled--Geralt from the Witcher comes to mind, and incidentally I thought he was an excellently-written character as well. Go too far to either end of the spectrum and they become a caricature--relating back to the comic, either male power fantasy or female eyecandy.

Of course, this applies to female characters as well, but we see so many designed to titillate that really anything else would help even things out. Valve seems to be nearly the only developer that can design normal, believable women that don't exist to be ogled, but also don't subscribe to the STRONG FEMALE CHARACTER cliche--i.e. aggressive and still oversexualized.

Again, there's nothing wrong with fanservice-type characters, but who they are and how they relate to the story and setting is important.

yunabomb

Nov 29, 2011
MetalMagpie said:
One thing I still don't understand: Why is designing characters to visually appeal to men sexist?

Sexism is something like this: Women shouldn't be paid as much as men to do the same job, because they aren't as valuable.
There's more to sexism than that, particularly when you look at media. Women are frequently/usually portrayed as objects to be seen by presumably heterosexual males. This is often referred to as the "male gaze" (I personally don't use the term much since it doesn't mean much to most people). This pervades videogames, where women often are designed to be eye candy, while men get far more varied representation (when's the last time you saw a male videogame character posing suggestively?).

The fan service in Skullgirls wouldn't be sexist if the game existed in a vacuum, but it doesn't. Sexism in general doesn't exist in a vacuum.

Also, there's the Gender Games video from The Big Picture on this site that concisely explains the presentation issues videogames have.

Siege_TF

May 9, 2010
I was surprised to learn this is an actual game in the first place instead of some pipe dream and as such I'll at least be renting it regardless of whatever controversy because the only question I ever really ask myself is: "Did I like playing it?"

ConstantErasing

Sep 26, 2011
kurupt87 said:
I think the whole thing is laughable.
Yeah it is. Tiresome too. However I would never have heard of the game if not for the controversy and if it turns out good I might just get it, so maybe the whole thing has boosted sales.