Skyrim=Boring?

Torah Dreidelberg

Jan 7, 2012
zehydra said:
kman123 said:
The problem seems to be that Skyrim is just...well...shit?

Barely any quests are of interest. Christ, 90% of them are horrible. Main quest is shit, mage guild is horrible, Dark Brotherhood is alright.

Skyrim lacks decent narrative to keep playing. I recommend going to New Vegas.
I don't really find narrative a compelling reason to play or not to play a game, and will thus respectfully disagree.

It makes sense that you would recommend New Vegas though, since the people who didn't like Bethesda's storyline in Fallout 3 seemed to like New Vegas.

I'm more of a fan of open-world games than plot-driven games. But yeah you might be right on the money as to why OP doesn't like Skyrim.
It's just that I really enjoyed all the fallout's and oblivion even after beating them once, the problem I'm having seems to be unique to this game.

Torah Dreidelberg

Jan 7, 2012
Rooster Cogburn said:
Fieldy409 said:
Volan said:
This is probably the worst thing about open-ended RPGS with some big climatic quest. Once it's finished, nothing really changes, and there's no real sense of accomplishment. In Oblivion if you started a faction quest after completing the main storyline, the NPCs suddenly act as though they don't know you. The whole notoriety counter system never really worked. I hope in the future there will be a proper "finish" so to speak, where everyone acknowledges your hard work and being a legend.
I remember after finishing the main quest in morrowind everyone was like "holy fuck it's the Nerevarine!!" for their initial greeting and you got a big disposition boost with everyone.
Believe it or not, a lot of people complained about this in Morrowind. Most NPCs had the same opening dialog after you beat Dagoth Ur and people found it repetitive.

On topic, I find my Elder Scrolls obsession feeds itself in two ways. First, I like experiencing the world with different types of characters and classes. I don't role-play or anything, it's just interesting to me to approach the game in different ways, and get all the skills to high levels.

More than that, the exposition sucks me in. You find it everywhere, and as far as I am concerned this is the measure of an Elder Scrolls title. I find taking the time to read in game books makes me more interested in the action, though it may put others to sleep. Especially when you find a book whose subject matter relates to what you're currently doing, which is frequent. All the quests, the locations, the dialog, even the roaming beasts are describing a world. When you spot a Thalmor patrol, it fleshes the world out.

So maybe try a new character with skills you don't normally use. Yes, even the 'useless' skills. This isn't a competition, so just use them for fun. Try reading books occasionally, and see if that makes you more interested or less. Don't worry that the story isn't perfect: it's not bad, and it won't stop you from enjoying the world itself.

If that doesn't work, try Morrowind. It's better at each of these things. Fair warning, though: it's worse at everything else. Read up on it before you spend money because it hasn't aged all that well (because it was unique and ambitious for it's time). Or try Oblivion, though it is my least favorite of the three.
I've actually tried morrowind, my biggest problem with that game is the no waypoints, it makes most everything ridiculously hard to find.

Sep 3, 2011
i still enjoy skyrim as much as i did 1st time i played the world feels so alive i don't even need to have a quest just walk around for awhile and find a dragon or people to kill

Torah Dreidelberg

Jan 7, 2012
SajuukKhar said:
Audacity said:
You probably don't want to hear this, but it's because the game is boring. I own it. I was also anticipating it. I played and beat it. After I realized that I had basically wasted 60 dollars I finished EVERY achievement/trophy just so I could put it away and never look at it again.
Funny enough many people dissagree that it is boring.

On the official Elder Scrolls forums I have seen many people compare Skyrim as significantly better and more enjoyable then Oblivion.
I feel like maybe some people say that because they're trying to keep the illusion of "The best game ever" alive.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Torah Dreidelberg said:
I was so hyped for Skyrim a couple months before it came out. I had played and really enjoyed elder scrolls 4 as well as fallout 3.I even had it preloaded on steam for launch day and played it at midnight. I had a major skyrim weekend that week and got to 25-30 hours and beat the game. Ever since beating the game every time I try to play and do side quests I am underwhelmed and bored with in 10-15 minutes. Ive tried many mods they don't seem to help at all either, what could be the problem?
You did the main quest first? You don't have a general taste for aimlessness? You're looking for purpose in a game almost devoid of such things beyond "go here, kill, loot, wander the mountains until new location, repeat"? Maybe you prefer more plot driven vehicles, rather than exploration vehicles? Seeing as you tackled the main quest pretty early, that seems to be supportive of this idea.

Torah Dreidelberg

Jan 7, 2012
BehattedWanderer said:
Torah Dreidelberg said:
I was so hyped for Skyrim a couple months before it came out. I had played and really enjoyed elder scrolls 4 as well as fallout 3.I even had it preloaded on steam for launch day and played it at midnight. I had a major skyrim weekend that week and got to 25-30 hours and beat the game. Ever since beating the game every time I try to play and do side quests I am underwhelmed and bored with in 10-15 minutes. Ive tried many mods they don't seem to help at all either, what could be the problem?
You did the main quest first? You don't have a general taste for aimlessness? You're looking for purpose in a game almost devoid of such things beyond "go here, kill, loot, wander the mountains until new location, repeat"? Maybe you prefer more plot driven vehicles, rather than exploration vehicles? Seeing as you tackled the main quest pretty early, that seems to be supportive of this idea.
That's exactly how I feel.

Torah Dreidelberg

Jan 7, 2012
Anthraxus said:
jack the werewolf ^

Beth fans are so easy to please. Just give me an open world to LARP...'roleplay'...wander around in and I'm good.

"On the official Elder Scrolls forums I have seen many people compare Skyrim as significantly better and more enjoyable then Oblivion"

Shouldn't be too hard, considering that Oblivious was complete shit.
I feel that oblivion's side quests were more interesting.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Torah Dreidelberg said:
BehattedWanderer said:
Torah Dreidelberg said:
That's exactly how I feel.
Then Skyrim isn't your main vehicle, friend. Tastes vary, and your prefer a more directed or meaningful approach. Skyrim is significantly about exploration, and is driven almost entirely by discovery, with some mild pepperings of improvement thrown in. The better you get, the more you can explore, without having to run away or cower in corners (unless that's your thing). It offers relatively large amounts of freedom, and in exchange, sacrifices a fair bit of direction.

Fidelias

Nov 30, 2009
The thing I disliked about Skyrim is that I absolutely HATED almost every character I spoke to, and the ones I actually liked barely ever made an appearance.

Most of the quest-lines were horrible, and the loot made absolutely no sense sometimes.

The "In my time of need" side-quest with Saadia is probably the best example of this. You have Saadia saying that she was only speaking her mind, and that she didn't hurt anyone, but someone is trying to have her killed cause they didn't like what she was saying. Makes sense, you go to find the guy who's trying to kill her.
You find him, but he tells you that she is actually a traitor and one of the causes of his kingdom or whatever getting overrun by some other kingdom.
You either believe her, and kill him, or you believe him, and help him catch her.

Now, maybe this has something to do with the lore, but I still can't tell who was telling the truth. Sure, the guy hired bandits and spoke in an evil voice, but if he's telling the truth, I can't blame him. It's not like he attacked the town, even though he knew Saadia was in there. And I can't just kill someone because they "sound evil".

On the other hand, Saadia hasn't misled me to my knowledge either.

In a Bioware game, this is the point where you confront Saadia and get the whole truth out of her, and find out for certain who the bad guy is, or if this is just some kind of mistake.

Not in Skyrim; You choose, and never know for certain who the bad guy is.

Savagezion

Mar 28, 2010
Torah Dreidelberg said:
SajuukKhar said:
Audacity said:
You probably don't want to hear this, but it's because the game is boring. I own it. I was also anticipating it. I played and beat it. After I realized that I had basically wasted 60 dollars I finished EVERY achievement/trophy just so I could put it away and never look at it again.

On the official Elder Scrolls forums I have seen many people compare Skyrim as significantly better and more enjoyable then Oblivion.
I feel like maybe some people say that because they're trying to keep the illusion of "The best game ever" alive.
Nah, as I said, I have disliked every Bethesda game pre-Skyrim. You may even be able to dig up some of my posts on this forum pre-11-11-11 to prove it. I was planning on not buying Skyrim till I saw a Let's Play. You can't hold the story against it and give Oblivion a free pass. Oblivion's story was junk. At least Skyrim threw in a surprise on occasion. For instance, the throat of the world part was pretty cool.
I used to say the same stuff about Bethesda games across the board that people have been claiming about Skyrim in this thread. Trust me, I always wanted to like a Bethesda game because I like the spirit of exploration behind them but they were always so terrible I couldn't enjoy them. This goes for writing and mechanics. Skyrim, on the other hand, is decent. It isn't without its flaws, but those flaws are much less numerous than any other Bethesda game. It makes no sense to praise any other Bethesda game and then bash Skyrim. Skyrim is their most cohesive and structured experience they have delivered. The only one that comes close is Fallout, and it still falls short.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Kahunaburger said:
New Vegas, man. It's like a Bethesda game where they remembered to include the game part. Things in that game aren't a homogeneous leveled blob of meh.
New vegas isn't a Bethesda made game.

Anthraxus said:
jack the werewolf ^

Beth fans are so easy to please. Just give me an open world to LARP...'roleplay'...wander around in and I'm good.

"On the official Elder Scrolls forums I have seen many people compare Skyrim as significantly better and more enjoyable then Oblivion"

Shouldn't be too hard, considering that Oblivious was complete shit.
Ohh yes the it has to be P&P based or it isn't a RPG purist.

Fidelias said:
that is the whole point

you aren't supposed to know

unlike bioware who force feeds you this guy is good and this guy is bad Elder scrolls was supposed to be morally grey.

Torah Dreidelberg

Jan 7, 2012
Savagezion said:
Torah Dreidelberg said:
SajuukKhar said:
Audacity said:

Nah, as I said, I have disliked every Bethesda game pre-Skyrim. You may even be able to dig up some of my posts on this forum pre-11-11-11 to prove it. I was planning on not buying Skyrim till I saw a Let's Play. You can't hold the story against it and give Oblivion a free pass. Oblivion's story was junk. At least Skyrim threw in a surprise on occasion. For instance, the throat of the world part was pretty cool.
I used to say the same stuff about Bethesda games across the board that people have been claiming about Skyrim in this thread. Trust me, I always wanted to like a Bethesda game because I like the spirit of exploration behind them but they were always so terrible I couldn't enjoy them. This goes for writing and mechanics. Skyrim, on the other hand, is decent. It isn't without its flaws, but those flaws are much less numerous than any other Bethesda game. It makes no sense to praise any other Bethesda game and then bash Skyrim. Skyrim is their most cohesive and structured experience they have delivered. The only one that comes close is Fallout, and it still falls short.
I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
SajuukKhar said:
Kahunaburger said:
New Vegas, man. It's like a Bethesda game where they remembered to include the game part. Things in that game aren't a homogeneous leveled blob of meh.
New vegas isn't a Bethesda made game.
See bolded text in original post.

Justyn Stahll

Jul 22, 2010
Skyrim turned me off when the main quest line DEMANDED you join the Mages Guild or the Theieves guild, now mind you I played a Stabby Stabby Hitty Bashie charchter, and bein told that to find the PLOT OBJECT you must join the college. D:

I also noticed (did any of you?) that the civil war does'nt affect anything bar some dialouge? "I LOVE THE EMPIRE" says guy standing right next to a Stormcloak soldier. -.-

Either way, I feel obligated to finish the Main Quest because I've invested so much time in it. Also to be noted Ebony Blade is OP and FUS RO DA-mn I forgot my soul gem!

Jonatron

Sep 8, 2008
Anyone who says Skyrim has poor voice acting... did you play Oblivion? Like 4 obnoxiously omnipresent voice actors, with the exception of Stamp/Stewart/that guy who did LaChance/ect. I think the figure Todd Howard gave in the Collector's Edition DVD documentary was around 70 VAs for 110+ characters, though I may be confused with Fallout. But by Elder Scroll standards, Skyrim's voice acting is great. First Elder Scrolls game I could actually play for something other than level grinding satisfaction.

Torah Dreidelberg

Jan 7, 2012
Justyn Stahll said:
Skyrim turned me off when the main quest line DEMANDED you join the Mages Guild or the Theieves guild, now mind you I played a Stabby Stabby Hitty Bashie charchter, and bein told that to find the PLOT OBJECT you must join the college. D:

I also noticed (did any of you?) that the civil war does'nt affect anything bar some dialouge? "I LOVE THE EMPIRE" says guy standing right next to a Stormcloak soldier. -.-

Either way, I feel obligated to finish the Main Quest because I've invested so much time in it. Also to be noted Ebony Blade is OP and FUS RO DA-mn I forgot my soul gem!
That's another thing that I felt skyrim was lacking. The civil war never really affected anything. It was choice a or choice b. Role playing as a storm cloak devoted nord I tried to assassinate and Imperial favoring Jarl, but was very disappointed because all I could do was knock him down. It seems to me you have the illusion of choice. You can only do what the developers say you can do.

Savagezion

Mar 28, 2010
Jonatron said:
Anyone who says Skyrim has poor voice acting... did you play Oblivion? Like 4 obnoxiously omnipresent voice actors, with the exception of Stamp/Stewart/that guy who did LaChance/ect. I think the figure Todd Howard gave in the Collector's Edition DVD documentary was around 70 VAs for 110+ characters, though I may be confused with Fallout. But by Elder Scroll standards, Skyrim's voice acting is great. First Elder Scrolls game I could actually play for something other than level grinding satisfaction.
Yeah, this thread is nonsense. Most of the complaints against Skyrim are 10 times worse in its predecessors that people are praising.