Skyrim Bug Turned Chickens Into Informants

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
ChupathingyX said:
I love how Bethesda are using this whole "bugs are funny" ruse to pull the wool over people's eyes because they know that Skyrim is going to have bugs up the wazoo, and with their fantastic QA skills will not be able to fix all of them, or even a good amount of them.

It doesn't matter how funny they are; bugs are still bugs.
Not really. For example, fighting games didn't have combos until Street Fighter II. And even then, it was mostly a bug because it wasn't supposed to happen. It turned into a core feature of the genre. Can't think of any other examples at the moment, but bugs aren't necessarily bad by virtue of being a bug.

Zay-el

Apr 4, 2011
ChupathingyX said:
New Vegas was made with Bethesda's engine, and the QA testing was done by Bethesda.

I do not believe that bugs should be kept in just because their funny, why not just make an easter egg out of it and then get rid of the bug?
They patched most of it though and what they missed, the community finished up. I personally never go day 1 anyway, precisely because of the occasional bugs. I give everything at least a week and I'll probably do that with Skyrim, too.

I still think it really depends on how bad the bug is, but that might just be me. I'm used to most games having some area where they fail, so I'm a bit more lenient as long as the bug isn't close to game-breaking.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
It all makes sense now, the chickens in Zelda, these chickens, they are becoming smarter, soon they will know how to open doors, flee for your lives!

rohansoldier

Sep 5, 2011
I love this. They should totally keep this in if they either give you the chance to stop the chicken before it reports you or give you the opportunity to blame the crime on the chicken when the guards show up!

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Kopikatsu said:
Not really. For example, fighting games didn't have combos until Street Fighter II. And even then, it was mostly a bug because it wasn't supposed to happen. It turned into a core feature of the genre. Can't think of any other examples at the moment, but bugs aren't necessarily bad by virtue of being a bug.
I see your point but that was an event that happened during the 80s and 90s, video games were a lot younger back then (and still kind of are, nowadays combos in fighting games are commonplace.

Now, if a developer seriously need to rely on bugs for humour and innovation, something is wrong. And in particular Bethesda, who have shown me personally that they aren't exactly very good when it comes to humour...at all.

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
Well, Skyrim wouldn't have been the first game where the chickens took it upon themselves to keep the hero in line. I just got a mental image of SNES-era Link smashing a pot and then suddenly getting swarmed with pissed-off cuccos, each one squawking "STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM!!"

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
This is excellent. Simply, purely, excellent. I'm going to love it if they actually -did- do some of those DLCs you suggested. That would also be excellence.

Hanzo Hattori

Aug 4, 2009
Vrach said:
Never trust a chick to keep her mouth shut :p

Frostbite3789 said:
Wait, people have to report you for crimes now? The LAW isn't all powerful?

They don't immediately peg me as criminal scum?!
Welcome to several months ago - yep, you've got to be reported and there's also a separate bounty for each of the 9 or so areas.
Wow for some reason I missed that, that's freaking awesome!

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
It appears as those criminals have been...
*puts on sun glasses*
Cock Blocked.
YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH~

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
aww

I thought it would be cooler if the chickens gave you info on stuff (you know, that kind of informant)

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
so Skyrim chicken or Legend of Zelda chickens, either they rat you out or they kill you

chickens are becoming more and more evil in vidya

Jul 9, 2008
ChupathingyX said:
I love how Bethesda are using this whole "bugs are funny" ruse to pull the wool over people's eyes because they know that Skyrim is going to have bugs up the wazoo, and with their fantastic QA skills will not be able to fix all of them, or even a good amount of them.

It doesn't matter how funny they are; bugs are still bugs.
They're creating a massive open-world. They can't get rid of every bug because they can't account for every possible situation. Hell, even in games that are tightly linear, they still have to choose what bugs to fix and what to ignore.
Busard said:

That is all
I love you. That is awesome.

Anyway, I'm glad this particular bug is getting fixed, being a stealth character would have been too hard.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
They're creating a massive open-world. They can't get rid of every bug because they can't account for every possible situation. Hell, even in games that are tightly linear, they still have to choose what bugs to fix and what to ignore.
It isn't that (although Bethesda are one of the worst offenders), it's the fact that they are trying to come up with excuses as to why there are bugs in their games.

Of course they can't get rid of all bugs (then again, modders, in their own free time and without pay have managed to do a pretty damn good job), but the fact that they seem to be using them as a way of coming up with humour to me shows that Bethesda are incapable of creating their own comedic content, and judging by Fallout 3, Bethesda can't do comedy.

In the end though, it isn't the bugs that annoy me (i usually ignore them anyway), it's what Bethesda are doing about them.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Hanzo Hattori said:
Vrach said:
Never trust a chick to keep her mouth shut :p

Frostbite3789 said:
Wait, people have to report you for crimes now? The LAW isn't all powerful?

They don't immediately peg me as criminal scum?!
Welcome to several months ago - yep, you've got to be reported and there's also a separate bounty for each of the 9 or so areas.
Wow for some reason I missed that, that's freaking awesome!
Indeed, love it, this will finally make non-1-hit assassinations possible :D

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
Logan Westbrook said:
Sadly, despite being incredibly entertaining, the bug, which Howard attributed to the game's Radiant Story system, was fixed.
No! Don't do that you asshole! That makes the game 1000% better. You have to watch out for chickens! CHICKENS! That's too damn funny that their reporting you. They started out just plain assaulting you in Legend of Zelda but I guess they got in too much trouble now so their the new Neighborhood Watch.

Amondren

Oct 15, 2009
What I'd really like is a in game option to allow chickens to report me to make stealth more interesting.

Also would it count as killing a innocent if you kill a chicken unprovoked also cause then I know how I'll join the Dark Brotherhood muwahahaha.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Why did the chicken cross the road?

To report you to the Imperial Guard, criminal scum!

Jul 9, 2008
ChupathingyX said:
It isn't that (although Bethesda are one of the worst offenders), it's the fact that they are trying to come up with excuses as to why there are bugs in their games.

Of course they can't get rid of all bugs (then again, modders, in their own free time and without pay have managed to do a pretty damn good job), but the fact that they seem to be using them as a way of coming up with humour to me shows that Bethesda are incapable of creating their own comedic content, and judging by Fallout 3, Bethesda can't do comedy.

In the end though, it isn't the bugs that annoy me (i usually ignore them anyway), it's what Bethesda are doing about them.
That's certainly fair. I mean, I kinda liked to hear that from them, but that is certainly valid too.

Also, fyi, Obsidian are probably the worst offenders.