Skyrim: Cabbage Rocket

Sotanaht

Mar 6, 2008
Say what you like about, Bethesda, they're the masters of creating games that seem absolutely brilliant for the first two hours.
Um... no? Skyrim falls flat on its face in the first two MINUTES and only gets worse from there. I guess the road between the tutorial dungeon and first town might seem pretty good.

wAriot

Jan 18, 2013
I said it before and I'll say it again: Totalbiscuit's definition of Skyrim is 100% perfect. "Skyrim is like a two-feet-deep ocean". There are tons of things to do and see, but none of them have any depth or complexity.

And mods are just a big spade to make that ocean a bit deeper in some areas.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
I can certainly agree with the caption below about Bethesda being great at making games that look amazing for the first 2 hours. Bethesda games are great, until you the illusion starts to unravel, and the bugs reveal themselves. Still, I can't fault them for their ambition.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Rainbow_Dashtruction said:
I don't get it? Why does everyone here like Okami? Outside of awesome art style and themes, it was littered with annoying characters, extremely poor pacing and awful combat.
I second that. Okami was an interesting ride, but after I finished it, I thought about all the baggage I had gone through and decided never to touch it again.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
-Dragmire- said:
Grey, does Cory hate you for making him draw cars?

[small]Seriously, fuck drawing cars. Major pain in the ass...[/small]
I find most man-made objects a pain in the bumper to draw, all straight lines and angles.

OT: I didn't realise there was so much contempt for Skyrim.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Keiichi Morisato said:
if god hand is supposed to be on every list then so should Okami and Viewtiful Joe.
I dunno about that. Even if they were all by clover, Godhand and Okami were as different as night and day, with Godhand being nonstop fun (really, it was very hard to stop playing that game, no matter how many times I did it), while Okami was interesting and unique, but also slow-paced and very dull at points. Also that paintbrush feature, for all its uniqueness, was very irritating to handle.
I haven't played Viewtiful Joe yet.

Anyway, while it mainly comes down to preference, I don't think I could imagine seeing both of them together on any sort of list.

Haru17

Mar 1, 2014
3 years after release and the anti-hype is in full effect.

Skyrim's world, lore, and equipment are the best I've ever seen in a game. So few games have the courage to actually include nature in their world. It's ridiculous to see worlds constantly set in cities and villages when wilds would logically cover a majority of the land in any medieval setting. Besides the huge and varied world that rewards exploration with beautiful vistas, hidden ruins, and unique items the combat is also good. Now, it's not without its flaws, but I've always loved the physicality of the first person elder scrolls combat. No other game I've seen combines that kind of combat and RPG progression in a world of similar quality and scope. And don't say the Witcher, while I love the story of that game the combat's just a pain.

And mods? Mods don't hold a candle to and of the Bethesda-made content. Who cares about a bunch of reskins pandering to various fandoms.

The Feast

Apr 5, 2013
I was upset when people criticizing Skyrim in the early days, but considering that I have modded Skyrim with more interesting stuff that should have put in the vanilla, I began to see Skyrim's many faults. The threads above already felt like they're reading my mind.

Hoping that Fallout 4 breaks all the negativity that will probably getting worse if they do not change their repeated ways, or hoping Todd Howard desperately need to make a better game, like how they developed Morrowind before the company is bankrupt. But I doubt that will happen thought.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
-Dragmire- said:
Grey, does Cory hate you for making him draw cars?

[small]Seriously, fuck drawing cars. Major pain in the ass...[/small]
True story: Gary Larson, the cartoonist responsible for The Far Side, once tried to draw a simple one-panel comic about a dog dreaming that it had murdered a car. Unfortunately, he had difficulty drawing the car, and people mistook it for a dog having sex with a car. This resulted in outrage, lost newspaper subscriptions, and him being kicked from some newspapers.

Seriously, screw drawing cars.

OT: Godhand: Best Non-Violent Adventure Game Of All Time?

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
Rainbow_Dashtruction said:
I don't get it? Why does everyone here like Okami? Outside of awesome art style and themes, it was littered with annoying characters, extremely poor pacing and awful combat.
Because any game that's worth discussing is apparently enough reason to fellate it. That's pretty much how today's gaming media works. Mechanics, controls, gameplay? Fuck that.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Yeah, anti-hype is the only possible reason anybody could dislike Skyrim. It couldn't be the fact that it's really buggy. It couldn't be the fact that after the first thirty minutes it's crazy unfocused. It couldn't be that large chunks of the game are built around MMORPG mentalities, the skinnerboxy idea that combat doesn't need to be fun, it's only there so that you can win at combat and get stuff and level yourself up for more combat. I didn't like this game in the first place, so clearly the fault is entirely on me; it couldn't possibly be that the game was less than perfect.

When it comes down to it, this game may have a tremendously good world to it, but I never had any reason to care about my own character, and the act of actually doing stuff in the game wasn't particularly enjoyable. Traveling wasn't fun, combat was a chore, and I got bored and quit within two hours. If the "keep going, it gets better later" excuse doesn't fly with Final Fantasy XIII, I sure won't accept it here, either.

P.S. Thanks

P.P.S. Regarding mods: Mod support is certainly a worthy factor to consider when judging a game. The actual mods are not so much. And frankly, a game should never need mods; support should be a la Left 4 Dead 2: totally optional for a great experience, but still worth checking out.

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
"If you put Skyrim in your Top RPG list you are literally a monster."
_>
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/12032-25-Top-RPGs-of-the-Last-Five-Years.10

Hmmmm... shots fired?

Ruisu

Enjoy the Silence
Jul 11, 2013
DMC3 beats God Hand in any day of the week. It had the BEST Bloody Palace ever, and no, DMC4 Bloody Palace was not as good.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
[HEADING=1]GOD HAND![/HEADING]

And yes, I definitely agree that mods shouldn't be taken into account when coming up with these sorts of lists. It's giving credit to the developers for somebody else's work.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Sorry, I played through the entirety of Skyrim vanilla before moving to mods and it's still the best RPG over the past 5 years. You just can't beat that huge world with extreme detail in every area. You usually always suffer in detail with scale or scale with detail and somehow Bethesda still manages it.

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
CrashBang said:
I like Skyrim. I didn't realise that was unusual.
I do too... I am also less than impressed with Critical Miss's strips lately.
They're too heavy on the snide & superior.

Grey will of course defend this as being ironic, but to be honest, it just makes the strip come off as written by a giant asshole, which I know it's not.

Who hurt you, Grey?

Was it the Nords?