Skyrim: Cabbage Rocket

Thedutchjelle

Mar 31, 2009
I kinda like Skyrim.

Yeah, it has its flaws sure. But it allows me to just wander around a bit, have some RPG fun every now and then without being super complicated. It does have a fairly well-done athmosphere and background music.
Now I started a new playthrough with a ton of mods and I'm already enjoying it a lot more. Skyrim Redone really changes the game to a whole new level. Also got a mod that makes your character suffer from cold, so you need to play smart if you don't want to freeze to dead anywhere north of Whiterun.

RyQ_TMC

Apr 24, 2009
Grape_Nuts said:
I've never even heard of Godhand, so I'm just going to attribute that to neurotic erin being neurotic.
Godhand was a PS2 fighting game with a small but devoted fanbase. It never showed up on any big-time lists, nobody mentioned it on the forums and it was generally forgotten aside from that small fanbase.

Then Yahtzee praised it in an Extra Punctuation[footnote]It might have been praised by some other contributors as well[/footnote] and suddenly it's the Greatest Game Ever, according to about half of the Escapist forumites. We've gone through that with Psychonauts, which everyone praised to high heavens after the Zero Punctuation of it, but was immediately forgotten once the forums were reminded of Deus Ex. Godhand is enjoying its ride on the rear seats of the bus for now.

Now, I'm not saying it's not Grey's favourite, or that everyone who praises it is doing so for cool kid points. As I said, Godhand does have a devoted fanbase. But it's a tad suspicious that apparently millions of people who loved the game were in a coma for the past several years and only woke up after an internet personality said "hey, remember that game?"

Bara_no_Hime said:
And don't forget annoying hand-holding.

I stopped playing Okami early in the game after the game told me I needed to draw a moon, so I opened the drawing thingy and started drawing circles. Nothing happened. Twenty minutes of frustration later, I talked to a random fucking NPC who TOLD ME HOW TO DRAW CIRCLES - at which point the game allowed me to draw a circle and summon the moon (or maybe the sun, I don't remember because I rage quit and gave the borrowed game back to its owner).
This might be a question of perspective. As my gaming method shrank from hardcore (Dragon Age: Origins finished in its entirety over a single play session punctuated by power naps and pizza) to casual (an hour or two of Screed or Rocksmith in a week if I find the time), I've noticed that the style of the game became more of a distinguishing factor than gameplay for me. Two games I really, really liked were The World Ends with You and Okami. They both featured horrible, irritating hand-holding. But what I found appealing about them were the settings and unique style. They were good for a spot of escapism, and mediocre gameplay doesn't matter if you play in short bursts between daily job, family life and extra work.

On the other hand, Thomas Was Alone bored me to tears, so maybe it's not all about uniqueness.

OT: Skyrim was fun. I probably wouldn't put it on any "top 10" list, but I live in a strange world where there are thousands of options between "best thing eva!!" and "turdburger". I got a lot of hours out of it, though the knowledge that my PS3 WILL shit itself if I keep playing beyond 50 hours or so keeps me from coming back.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
I really like Skyrim... many other people really like Skyrim, both audiences and critics alike.

So why are some people here saying they like it as if they're "coming out" or something?

Halla Burrica

May 18, 2014
I haven't played Skyrim. I haven't even heard much about Skyrim since it was released in 2011 after months of hype and excitement from practically everyone in existence and was met with monumental praise pretty much everywhere. Now it's being frowned upon and dismissed as a "walking simulator, that isn't really an RPG (a statement that makes no sense, but whatever)", even by people who praised it to begin with (the author himself of this webcomic said he loved it inn 2011).

Speaking as an outsider who hasn't even touched the game, I don't know what to make of this. What happened? Did the expectations become so unrealistically high that nothing could humanly possibly match it? Was it because of how games evolved the next two years that it's viewed like it is today? Was it that the game was already good, but then hundreds of mods came along and significantly improved the experience, to the point that the game felt lacking without them?

I dunno, I'll go for a walk or something, maybe watch Antichrist a second time.

Hugga_Bear

May 13, 2010
So while I'm not comfortable putting Skyrim on top of my "RPG list of the year woo" I have to admit that the bashing it's receiving in this thread is more than a little unwarranted. The game is huge and while I understand the complaint that it's shallow it still kept me entertained for a HUGE amount of time. The weaponry was interesting, the fights often a bit shallow and underwhelming but not bad by any means...

I dunno, I just find the hatred for the game here absolutely unreasonable, that game was big and interesting enough and certainly better than the vast majority of RPG's out there, comparing the style to FFXIII is unfair but comparing the hours of fun isn't.

Plus the mods are part and parcel of Bethesda, while I agree that giving BethSoft credit for the work of modders is unreasonable it is worth noting that they don't just allow it, they condone it which is leagues better than the treatment many other devs give their games and fanbases.
The mods are good too, while there are seemingly infinite mods which I would never want touching my computer there are also a lot of in depth rehauls, texture upgrades for better systems, more magic more perks more this that or the other and they contribute to a more varied and interesting game, ignoring them is unfair when the behaviour should certainly be encouraged, I want more devs doing it not less.

Twinmill5000

Nov 12, 2009
Moot point!

We all know that obviously the second gen RX7 is the best car ever.

...Because you can paint it blue.

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
I'm here laughing at the people who actually use the word "hate" to describe their opinion of an entertainment product.

Dislike is fine, but "hate"? Did Skyrim somehow personally offend you? If it did, you absolutely deserve to have your mood ruined, cause that's what it sounds like - a childish tantrum.

Sanderpower

Jun 26, 2014
Halla Burrica said:
I haven't played Skyrim. I haven't even heard much about Skyrim since it was released in 2011 after months of hype and excitement from practically everyone in existence and was met with monumental praise pretty much everywhere. Now it's being frowned upon and dismissed as a "walking simulator, that isn't really an RPG (a statement that makes no sense, but whatever)", even by people who praised it to begin with (the author himself of this webcomic said he loved it inn 2011).

Speaking as an outsider who hasn't even touched the game, I don't know what to make of this. What happened? Did the expectations become so unrealistically high that nothing could humanly possibly match it? Was it because of how games evolved the next two years that it's viewed like it is today? Was it that the game was already good, but then hundreds of mods came along and significantly improved the experience, to the point that the game felt lacking without them?

I dunno, I'll go for a walk or something, maybe watch Antichrist a second time.
You're sort of right on both accounts. So many great mods sprung out that people sort of got used to them and kept saying to themselves "why couldn't this be in the vanilla game!?". There is also the fact that Skyrim got so much hype from it's fans that people who played the game and didn't like it, felt like they got ripped off. Therefore they feel it's their duty to bash the game hard and "accentuate the negative". If they had not heard so much hype about the game, their opinions on Skyrim would be much more milder.

Skyrim is a really good game, I highly recommend you play it. I've invested about 3050+ hours already on my PC. Download a few mods from the Nexus and have a blast.

Also if Skyrim wasn't such a great game, why is it people are STILL talking about it 3 years after it's been released? That's a pretty long life-cycle for a AAA game.

Arslan Aladeen

Oct 9, 2012
Really funny to see people who have obviously no idea what God Hand is, let alone played it, calling it a JRPG. Yeah, never really cared for Skyrim. I find all aspects of the main game sub-par, so mods never really interested me. Their fun to watch youtube videos of, but that's about it.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
TheSniperFan said:
Doom972 said:
I didn't say that Bethesda should get praised for the mods themselves, but for making the game as moddable as it is.
Okay, I got that one wrong.

Doom972 said:
I don't know what your experience with modding is (I'm not going to make assumptions though), but it takes great effort on the developer's part to make a game moddable, and even more effort to bring it to Bethesda's standard. Not everyone will care about that, but for many people it means a lot. Just ask around the Neverwinter Nights forums.
Dude, if I had to delete half my online accounts, moddb would be one of the first on my "definitively gonna keep them"-list. ;)
I've spent hundreds of hours in the Source SDK myself, soon even more with Unity, I study computer science and if I wasn't so lazy, I would have done something myself already. xD

This [http://static.bootic.com/_pictures/1562281/the-orange-box.jpg] was my best gaming related purchase EVER!
I share that sentiment :)
It's 5 highly polished, f'king amazing games that wouldn't even need modding support. Yet, have it and some of the most amazing mods ever were made for them.
The mods aren't specifically for these games, since Valve just made the Source SDK available for everyone. I'm pretty sure that you don't need to own a Source Engine game to play Source Engine mods anymore (which are more like games in their own right). Some games don't have mod-support and are successful for other reasons (great story, great gameplay, etc.), and that's fine because this way we have different games that offer different features for different types of gamers.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Phrozenflame500 said:
Well I'd say "literally a monster" is a bit under-doing it in terms of internet hyperboles, they're more somewhere in-between (literally) Hitler and Anita Sarkeesian.

But yes you're absolutely right on both counts.
And if we thought that Skyrim was a great game as the Vanilla version that was released without mods? What type of monster are we then? Because I played and finished it without any mods and loved it.

Kerethos

Jun 19, 2013
Having played hundreds of hours of vanilla Skyrim on Xbox 360, then hundreds of hours of a heavily modded Skyrim on PC, I definitely enjoy it more than any other RPG that I've ever played.

What Skyrim offers is some fairly unique and fun open world exploration, in a world that (in general) is very well crafted.

And if that's all you're after: killing some bandits, fighting the occasional dragon, exploring some tombs for loot in a beautiful landscape - with no pressing narrative pushing you on. Then Skyrim is pure, enjoyable relaxation.

I mean, the only debatable thing that's come out of Skyrim is Stormcloaks or Imperials (and that's a questline you can finish in about an hour, maybe less).

So if you're looking for deep story, interesting characters or a great combat system there are other games that do each part that makes up Skyrim better - but there's no game that does all of them, in one game, as well.

It is the sum of its parts that makes Skyrim great, which includes mods. Not each individual part by themselves.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Hey now, I'm a professional monster and I still couldn't help but roll my eyes at Skyrim.

The comic is absolutely right; great mods are indicative of the community's skill at creating content, not Bethesda's. Unreal Tournament is another extremely mod-friendly game, but the key difference is that it's still a great game even without any mods.

sumanoskae

Dec 7, 2007
8bitOwl said:
Haru17 said:
3 years after release and the anti-hype is in full effect.

Yes, this is an incredible social process. Do we have a social analyst here? A certified psychologist? Because this should be further investigated: it seems yesterday that Skyrim was hailed as the greastest thing that ever happened in gaming, but now, all you hear is how disappointing and "meh" that game is. So what happened to all those people who loved Skyrim like their family and named their kids Dovhakiin? And where were all the disgruntled, disappointed players before?

Same thing that happened to Bioshock Infinite, and same thing that soon will happen to GTA5, I bet.
Well, once it was generally accepted that Skyrim was the greatest thing since 69ing, we didn't feel the need to repeat ourselves. Then, a bunch of people who didn't think Skyrim was the greatest thing since 69ing went "Hey, my opinion is not being represented" and spoke up.

This happens because people don't feel the need to express their opinion unless it's being challenged.