Skyrim Collector's Edition Requires Enormous Box

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Skyrim Collector's Edition Requires Enormous Box

The Skyrim Collector's Edition is filled with dragons and art, so the box was never going to be small.

Buying the Collector's Edition of Skyrim [http://www.amazon.com/Elder-Scrolls-V-Skyrim-Xbox-360/dp/B004HYK956/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315562208&sr=8-1] will be pretty easy - as long as you remember to pre-order it - but getting it home? That's going to take some planning. Bethesda has revealed exactly how big the box for the collector's edition is, and as you can see for yourself, it's really not small.

Then again, it was never going to be, not if it was going to accommodate everything the Collector's Edition comes with. Inside the box will be a cloth map, a large 200-page art book and twelve-inch tall statue of Alduin, a world-shattering dragon god and the villain of the whole game. It's probably the statue that's taking up all the room, although Bethesda could have arranged the book and map in a very odd way.

Of course, the real question is what to do with the box once it's empty. You might use it as a makeshift home for a down-on-his-luck Hobbit, or perhaps as a shelter for a pair of adorable kittens. I suppose you could just put books, or games, or something equally sensible in it, but that just seems like a wasted opportunity.

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim comes out for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 in November 11th.

Source: Beth Blog [http://www.bethblog.com/index.php/2011/09/07/look-at-the-size-of-that-box/]

Annoying Turd

Jul 3, 2009
I remember when games came with goodies by default. Cloth maps from the ultima series, anyone?

Btw, what's the largest game 'collector's edition' ever, where a game comes in a box larger than the boxes consoles come in/ larger than my pc?

Lance Arrow

Apr 7, 2010
Okay, I might come across as incredibly juvenile right here, but I laughed my ass off at that title.

And the short description after that isn't helping either.

Trivea

Jan 27, 2011
albino boo said:
Personally I would be planing to use the box as a rather jaunty hat.
Nothing more needs to be said, really.

OT: Eh... I can see where they're coming from. People bought the Fallout 3 Special Edition Lunchbox, right? I was working at Circuit City when those came out, and they flew off the shelves like a cure for cancer. I mean, sure, it's a shameless ploy to get more money, but it worked before.

Mr S

Jul 13, 2010
Lance Arrow said:
Okay, I might come across as incredibly juvenile right here, but I laughed my ass off at that title.

I don't think I'm following you..?

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
FredTheUndead said:
Note the 360 label, proving Bethesda's now full-time commitment to console ports.
Sarcasm I hope.

OT: I dont give a fuck, Bethesda thought they could rip Europe off. Protip: no one in Europe is going to buy your overpriced collectors edition, you assholes.
I live in Australia, and I bought it...

Archonic Energy

Feb 8, 2010
Annoying Turd said:
Btw, what's the largest game 'collector's edition' ever, where a game comes in a box larger than the boxes consoles come in/ larger than my pc?
Bioshock 2's CE box was rather large... because of the 12" Record in there...

and £130 for the CE... you can fuck right off!

Lance Arrow

Apr 7, 2010
Mr S said:
Lance Arrow said:

Pay attention to the word 'box'...

HINT: It means two things.

Mr S

Jul 13, 2010
Lance Arrow said:
Mr S said:
Lance Arrow said:

Pay attention to the word 'box'...

HINT: It means two things.
In english too?
I'm Dutch and I know the Dutch word is a synonym for it, are you sure you didn't translate it directly to english? :S I've just never heard it in English before :p
But I do know what you mean now ;)

Steve Lovell

Apr 25, 2011
Archonic Energy said:
Annoying Turd said:
Bioshock 2's CE box was rather large... because of the 12" Record in there...

and £130 for the CE... you can fuck right off!
How about steel battalion with the controller, that must have been a pretty hefty size

Lance Arrow

Apr 7, 2010
Mr S said:
Lance Arrow said:
In english too?
I'm Dutch and I know the Dutch word is a synonym for it, are you sure you didn't translate it directly to english? :S I've just never heard it in English before :p
But I do know what you mean now ;)
Right, taking two seconds to hit urbandictionary.com could have deduced that mistery too, but here, this is what I was talking about. [http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=box]

Also, hi fellow dutchie.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
FredTheUndead said:
Note the 360 label, proving Bethesda's now full-time commitment to console ports.
Sarcasm I hope.

OT: I dont give a fuck, Bethesda thought they could rip Europe off. Protip: no one in Europe is going to buy your overpriced collectors edition, you assholes.
Sadly, it's more than Bethesda, same shit's going on with BioWare (SW: TOR). I'm guessing it's a market issue of some sort and we'll be seeing it pretty much constantly, at least with NA-based companies.

Either way have to agree with you. Blowing 150 euros on a single game just to get some statue and behind the scenes stuff, thanks but no thanks - I'll buy some 4-5 new titles this winter for that money instead, including the standard version of the game.