Skyrim DLC Will Be Timed 360 Exclusive

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
Mr.K. said:
SelectivelyEvil13 said:
Y'know Microsoft, PC and the 360 are both yours...
Well the PC part isn't, unless the developer uses their tools to build the game MS get's absolutely nothing from them.
And with 360 you can't put anything on it without MS getting their cut, and that is why they don't mind throwing money at developers to get their exclusives.
Certainly, that extra incentive for without-a-hitch turnaround is an important factor. I just don't understand the backwards "We're bringing back PC gaming! We love you guys" motions Microsoft tries to pass off, while at the same time pretending that the 360 is an only child. Although given their treatment of the Age of Empires franchise (as one example), perhaps it is more of them pretending that "PC Games" are... their little Damien. :p

30 days is pretty laughable given the game we're dealing with; it's not as though PS3 and PC players will be desperately bored within that time frame. If only could MS just save their money, swallow their pride for once, and invest a little in something that actually matters to people.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
what's skyrim?

oh, you mean Scrolls: something or another right?

had to be done.

anyhoo, i guess it had to come out on something first, unless they deliberately hold it back for a multi release

i7omahawki said:
OT: As I own a 360 and a computer not nearly good enough to run this, I'm kinda glad I'm getting DLC while missing out on all the awesome modding that will surely be happening in PC land.

Question is, what will PS3's be getting?
hopefully a toaster attachment, they already make enough heat and I've had a hankering for toast on the way out of my bedroom in the morning

mornal

Aug 19, 2009
It's probably been said somewhere in this thread already, but what's the big deal? Are the PS3 users honestly trying to tell me that they can't play a game that promises at least 300 hours of content for one more month before new content? PC users shouldn't even be complaining, what with mods and all that.

Also, the correct phrasing should be "PC/PS3 users get it after Xbox users". Bethesda will have the DLC finished by the time it releases on the Xbox and are delaying it for others. It's not like they're devoting development time exclusively to Xbox DLC then devoting a month worth of time to developing it on PC/PS3 (if they are, that seems like bad design practice).

The most plausible scenario in my mind is Bethesda makes content on the Xbox first and then ports it over to PC/PS3. So even when there is no third-party influencing decisions, Xbox content is still ready first. Then Microsoft comes along with their offer and Bethesda takes it because they know all that it involves doing is releasing the Xbox content as soon as it's done.

Neonit

Dec 24, 2008
so, no horse armor for pc players? hah!
at least we will get nude mods, so tough luck you console peasants!

but to be honest - i think thats pretty..... stupid. i really dont know how to describe it in any other way. just - stupid.....

and i guess that they are pretty much pissed that dlc's dont sell so well on pc because.... well... why pay for dlc when you can get free mods? but that IS a dick move, and in long run, i think it will do them more harm than good.

Mad World

Legacy
Sep 18, 2009
Country
Canada
No surprise here. Bethesda, you used to be cool, man. But now I just think of you as a sellout.

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
SirBryghtside said:
Microsoft: "Hey, Bethesda, want some free money?"

Bethesda: "OK!"

They're a business. Them saying yes is a minimal decrease in sales, followed by a tonne of money from Microsoft. The only way this would stop would be if a boycott actually worked for once - which it won't, because it's Skyrim.
That's true, which is why I'm not pushing for a boycott. I'm just recognizing that I am not Bethesda's customer, and agreeing with their choice.

There's so many games coming out around that time it's not like it's a difficult choice to make.

Remember: BethSoft are just there to make money, BGS want what's best for the consumer. Unfortunately, "Because it's nice!" doesn't hold up in the boardroom.
I'm not arguing with that. I'm just not giving them my money. I have that choice. If more people actually had the courage and willpower to take their 'internet rage' for products they claim to dislike and actually not buy them... they'd get this situation less.

Are you trying to convince me that my money is not better spent somewhere else?

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Navenis said:
Well at least us pc players will have 20x the content from mods.
Lets be honest here:

96% of all user-generated content is pure, unfiltered shit.

Another 2% is decent, but nothing worthy of being a talking point.

Then you have 1% which is actually quality and worth the time and playing it. This content also tends to take a good deal of time to come out; generally well after any DLC has come out for the game.

And then there is that last 1% which can be shit or be good, but probably shouldn't be talked about on a website like the Escapist where a younger person might see it.