Skyrim DLC Will Be Timed 360 Exclusive

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Skyrim DLC Will Be Timed 360 Exclusive

The first two DLC releases for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim will be timed exclusives for the Xbox 360.

We have no idea what Bethesda has in store for Skyrim [http://www.amazon.com/Elder-Scrolls-V-Skyrim-Xbox-360/dp/B004HYK956/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314371273&sr=8-1] DLC - Skyrim itself won't be out for another two-and-a-half months - but whatever it turns out to be, it'll be Xbox 360 owners who get to play it first. The publisher announced today that the first two DLC releases for the upcoming RPG will come out on the 360 30 days before they're available on any other platform, which is to say, the PC and PlayStation 3.

It seems a bit silly to announce that DLC will be timed exclusives before revealing anything at all about the DLC itself and especially so far ahead of release, but it does give a bit of a nudge to gamers who are committed to the game but wavering on the platform. Given the apparent importance of preorders these days, I suppose the way-in-advance announcement isn't all that surprising.

Back in June, Executive Producer Todd Howard said Bethesda wanted Skyrim DLC to be Fallout 3 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111390-Dont-Expect-Horse-Armor-DLC-in-Elder-Scrolls-V-Skyrim]. "We don't know what we're going to make yet, but we'd like them to be closer to an expansion pack feel," he said.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim comes out on November 11 for the PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
I'm betting that the 360 gets it first because of Microsoft's hissy fit policy where they stamp their foot and say "No!" if they don't get it first.
And it pays to throw money at someone to get the chance to be first.

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
No modding on 360 means I'll still be getting this on the PC, I am a patient man, and can stand to wait for DLC, especially on a beloved series like The Elder Scrolls.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I guess it's a good thing I didn't pre-order the PS3 version. Getting the CE for 360.

I'll get the PC version down the line, I'll get it on the Steam holiday sale, likely. And then get a gaming PC by next summer, if all goes as planned.

Iklwa

Jan 27, 2010
So now it's not even a "Hey guys, look what we made to augment your experience!" It's a "Hey guys, we purposely left shit out of our game so you could pay for it later! Give us your money, our cash pools are a tad low after we bought everyone here a yacht!"

Worst part is, I will still most likely purchase and play any Skyrim DLC.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Navenis said:
Well at least us pc players will have 20x the content from mods.
Exactly. Why pay for DLC I have to wait an extra 30 days for, when I can download hundreds of mods for free in that time?
Generally the Elder Scrolls modding community is pretty high quality. Same with the Total War modders.

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
Boo yah. Get my horse armour first!

Put that in your floppy drive and smoke it, PC users.

/facetious statements

Scizophrenic Llama

Is in space!
Dec 5, 2007
This doesn't surprise me, given that all Fallout DLC was pretty much the same way.

Still, I have a nice PC now and will enjoy mods to hold me over while I romp around mountains and such.

Jymm

Sep 18, 2010
The DLC can wait. Give me my mods. There is still an active community of modders out there. I just went over to TESNexus and saw that there was 5 new mods for Oblivion on their front page.

Russian_Assassin

Apr 24, 2008
Oh boy, guess I'll have to make do with the billion mods instead. Xbox players sure are lucky :p

Oh come on! Can't I be a smug little bastard for once? Besides, I like having guinea piggies test my dlc for me >:D

Enough with the Skyrim news by the way, they don't make the wait any easier! >.<

Jymm said:
The DLC can wait. Give me my mods. There is still an active community of modders out there. I just went over to TESNexus and saw that there was 5 new mods for Oblivion on their front page.
5 new? Brother, those were the top 5 for now. There are many more made every day!

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
This is slightly puzzling. This is obvious to me, as a ploy to add incentive to get console gamers to buy the game... but haven't they flat out told us that the game was being developed for console primarily anyway?

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Onyx Oblivion said:
Getting the CE for 360.
All my friends are calling me a retard for pre-ordering the collectors edition >.< not that I care, I want that fucking dragon!

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
*Insert Horse Armor joke here* ...yeah, that's all I have to contribute on this matter.

skittlepie345

Aug 11, 2009
Iklwa said:
So now it's not even a "Hey guys, look what we made to augment your experience!" It's a "Hey guys, we purposely left shit out of our game so you could pay for it later! Give us your money, our cash pools are a tad low after we bought everyone here a yacht!"

I thought that might be the situation until I re-read the post.

Back in June, Executive Producer Todd Howard said Bethesda wanted Skyrim DLC to be bigger and more substantial than it had been for games like Oblivion and Fallout 3. "We don't know what we're going to make yet, but we'd like them to be closer to an expansion pack feel," he said.
I think they're just saying that they will be making DLC and XBox will get it first. Since they don't know what they're even going to make, they're not really leaving it out of the game at launch. It probably won't even be announced until more than a month after Skyrim's been released.

Sinspiration

Mar 7, 2010
Iklwa said:

Compulsion's a *****, XD

Either way I think they deserve my cash for keeping me entertained at least.

King Toasty

Oct 2, 2010
What the hell. It's not such a big deal because it's 30 days, but it shows that Microsoft holds control over Bethy. Tch.

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
I'll be buying it twice anyway. I've been debating over what I should get it for, but since I only want the PC version for mods, I decided to wait for the GotY bundle for it.

Wow, I am some kind of stupid for buying a game and all of its DLC twice, plus forking over the cash for the Collectors Edition.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
I still dont get why they cant release a special edition of Morrowind and Oblivon on consoles with all the good mods on it. The updated graphics, more creatures and better character models and also the best mission and weapons and magic mods. Id buy it.