Skyrim Features "Perk" Trees Instead of Weapons Skills

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
CD-R said:
So i guess there's no more Spear of Bitter Mercy. Damn. I'm interested to see what they're going to do with hand to hand fighting or if they're even going to keep it.

Nimbus said:
Not including spears makes sense. Spears generally won't win in a one on one fight, especially if the other guy has a shield. Plus, the way you need to fight with a spear means that it's range usually isn't worth crap.
Uhhhh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8bIEk58LzI&feature=related

Besides if you're going to be fighting dragons in this game you're going to want a spear or a lance.
1. That video shows probably the most unrealistic way to use a spear ever. Yes it looks sweet but it's a movie. Showing clips of 300 won't help the fact that in TES spears are essentially useless fighting one on one in an open area.

2. Fighting a dragon with spear is really no different from fighting it with any other martial weapon. They breathe fire. You are not going to get the range that matters just by equipping a spear. Spears again are better used for fighting in a narrow passage way, you know, where most dragons in video games are not/

3. Lances are useless when not on a horse and not used to charge infantry. It's the same problem with the spear, which the lance is based from, its too frontal. One guy on a horse charging one guy on the ground is pretty much defeated by the on guy on his feet moving to one side. Lances are cavalry weapons to be used in groups or for jousting one on one. And really is charging a dragon really that smart? Other pole-arms like halberds would make more sense to add.

Phoenix14

Jul 5, 2010
I like this a lot...some people may think it makes the game more streamlined but I think it makes more sense If your skilled in 1 handed swords I'd imagine you'd also be good at daggers haha.

MadCapMunchkin

Charismatic Stallion
Apr 23, 2010
Sennz0r said:
I play Morrowind for the sole purpose of getting the Daedric spear are level 2 or 3 from the ebony mine quest and then just screwing around, because spears are fucking awesome.

Seriously Bethesda, spears are badass. And remember to include an animation where you impale someone.

If they're not going to include them right away, at least put them in DLC or something. Argonian/spear combo was fantastic.
Also did you have Bloodmoon? Because Hircine's spear was the bomb.
Spears should definitely be included, it just for flavor. Spears were good, but you had to put a bit into your skills for it (same thing, as I recall, with bows).

And yes, I played Bloodmoon. I did it only to become a werewolf. The final fight with Hircine was rather amusing, considering I took him out in two hits with Trueflame. *laughs maniacally*

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
For some reason, the skill trees in Diablo 2 are what I first thought of. This sounds cool, but what I really want are experiences for true role-playing. The only time I've ever actually seen that are maybe Deus Ex (and according to The Spoony Experiment, some of the Ultima games). Something like, just a thought, not being able to join every guild in the land because some of them are enemies (apparently Morrowind did this?). Basically, I want an actual role-playing experience, the ability to feel like an actual character and not just some random schmuck.

Discrodia

Dec 7, 2008
AzrealMaximillion said:
1. That video shows probably the most unrealistic way to use a spear ever. Yes it looks sweet but it's a movie. Showing clips of 300 won't help the fact that in TES spears are essentially useless fighting one on one in an open area.

2. Fighting a dragon with spear is really no different from fighting it with any other martial weapon. They breathe fire. You are not going to get the range that matters just by equipping a spear. Spears again are better used for fighting in a narrow passage way, you know, where most dragons in video games are not/

3. Lances are useless when not on a horse and not used to charge infantry. It's the same problem with the spear, which the lance is based from, its too frontal. One guy on a horse charging one guy on the ground is pretty much defeated by the on guy on his feet moving to one side. Lances are cavalry weapons to be used in groups or for jousting one on one. And really is charging a dragon really that smart? Other pole-arms like halberds would make more sense to add.
In response in no particular order...

Realism doesn't matter, it's frikkin Elder Scrolls. I mean, I can crap lightning bolts but can't get one of the most common weapons of the ancient world? If realism mattered only the highest lords/leveld characters would get swords or axes, and if you were the average peasant militia you might get a spear and some animal hides, not a sword, shield, and whole set of armor.

Also, by your logic there is no way to kill a dragon short of arrows and magic. Again, while that would be true IRL (har har) in a video game they need to make the dragons killable by all builds, not just ranged ones. Additionally, there's no saying that 1: dragon fire is instant death or 2: the dragons are smart enough not to play with their food.

Finally: Horseback combat would be nice as well, since someone mentioned lances.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Give us the ability to knock out or hinder please I want to steal but knock out people and get away without being caught like add a parlize posion and it prevents em from doing anything just lay there >_> or add it to daggers and wound and run off

Example used with FO3

When escaping the Vault I wanted to shoot the overseer in the leg and just leave not kill him.

Allow me to slash a leg in skyrim or add some type of posion such

ponderus

Oct 27, 2008
*Begin rant* More proof that things are changing for the sake of changing. A fe wpoints, because I don't feel like fighting against a lost cause at this point.
1) Different weapons have different styles. Nunchucks are one handed. Do they work the same as a Short Sword? No.
2) Leveling by hitting things makes sense. First time you cut a tomato you probably didn't do a good job. Practice and training help
3) I don't want "Generic Fantasy Game" that looks like "Generic Post Apocalyptic" or "Generic Science Fiction" with a couple changes in texture. I want The Elder Scrolls
*End Rant*
Logical rebuttals welcome

PrimoThePro

Jun 23, 2009
When you said tree, my first thought was FFX's way of leveling up, IE big tree that you navigate. I LOVED that way of leveling up. It worked, and I wish more games did that.

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
How do you intend to kill a dragon with no spear ! it's like fighting a lion with a stick !

unless you talk your way through like in shrek...and end up with a big ass dragoness and a bunch of fiery flying mutants !

at least those who'll get the game in PC will have mods that will allow it and much much more !

CNKFan

Aug 20, 2008
You know all of this sounds well and good but they are forgetting to mention important thing which is "WILL THE GOD DAMN GAME END WHEN YOU FINISH THE MAIN QUEST!?!" Seriously I need to know.

Mortons4ck

Jan 12, 2010
Xzi said:
Oh boy, this might turn the game into a real pile of shit. Not saying that it will, but it certainly has the potential to. Leveling skills by actually using them has been one of the best parts of the Elder Scrolls games for a while now. Using "perk trees" instead could make this feel very generic and low on depth. Why not simply add these trees in addition to the previously used system instead of trading one for the other?
I'm going to have to agree with this statement. The best thing about the Elder Scrolls was that, with enough hard work, you could become a bad-ass in just about anything. I don't understand why these "perks" can't act like the permanent stat boost spells in the previous games.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
AzrealMaximillion said:
One guy on a horse charging one guy on the ground is pretty much defeated by the on guy on his feet moving to one side.
There really are only two ways that move can go, one results in the horse trampling you, then mr calvary just swings around for another pass while you get up(if you can), and the other means the guy with the lance only has to move his arm while you try to move your whole body.

Unless you are Neo, you're pretty screwed facing a mounted opponent on foot, unless ironically enough you have a spear or similar weapon.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Did they release a list of the weapon types that will be in the game? Swords, Axes, and Blunts are gimmies. I want to know if they are others...

Drake_Dercon

Sep 13, 2010
Sounds like a good idea, except the spears bit. Although I have faith that modders will fix that.

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
I like the sound of that type of system much better than the one in oblivion. The more i hear about skyrim the more excited i get.

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
Greg Tito said:
Leveling your character in Oblivion or Morrowind was connected to raising your various skill levels by performing actions in the game.
Yep.

Most classes had one or two weapon skills that needed to be raised in order to get to the next level, but that prevented investing in using other weapons even if the style was largely similar.
I take it you never played Oblivion or Morrowind? Because, that's not at all like how either game plays.

At all.

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
"Skyrim is due out on November 11, 2011. Time to think about putting in your notice for vacation time that week."

And start posting overtime for the new computer Imma gonna want in order to play this game well too!