Skyrim Fits On One DVD

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
And time marches on....

I remember, one day long long ago, thinking "Wow, this game is so huge, they had to put it on a DVD!" Now, I've got "Wow, they managed to fit the whole game on just one DVD!"

I feel old. ...hey, what's that noise? There better not be kids on my lawn. I've got my best shakin' stick right here!

[small]Of course, I'll likely be getting this on Steam, so it doesn't affect me directly, but anything they can do to reduce download size is just peachy with me.[/small]

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Camarilla said:
omicron1 said:
So Skyrim is taking lessons from .kkrieger (look it up!)? Excellent! I foresee a rosy future of procedural games to come!
No, not at all. They're still using traditional texture sheet methods and standard polygonal modelling, it's just that extra effects, such as wet characters, are being done with shaders, not a second 'wet' texture.
Taking lessons, not imitating. I am well aware of its traditional elements; however, the mere fact that it is able to be this compact while (apparently) greatly increasing texture resolution suggests certain procedural aspects to that as well.

Camarilla

Jul 17, 2008
The Rogue Wolf said:
And time marches on....

I remember, one day long long ago, thinking "Wow, this game is so huge, they had to put it on a DVD!" Now, I've got "Wow, they managed to fit the whole game on just one DVD!"

I feel old. ...hey, what's that noise? There better not be kids on my lawn. I've got my best shakin' stick right here!

[small]Of course, I'll likely be getting this on Steam, so it doesn't affect me directly, but anything they can do to reduce download size is just peachy with me.[/small]
I still have an Amiga game that came on something like a dozen floppies. Now those were the days.

FuktLogik

Jan 6, 2010
McNinja said:
The HDDVDs the 360 uses can handle up to 15 gigs on a single layer, double for dual-layer. The Blu-ray discs can handle about double a bit less than a dual layered HDDVD disc, which is why ME2 was two discs on the 360, but only one disc on the PS3.

However the techniques they used to save space is pretty neat.
Um, guess what, no 360 game has ever utilized the HDDVD format. Only movies have, and only using the HDDVD external player. The 360 has always used dual layered DVDs, with a maximum size of around 9GB.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Wieke said:
What's the state of the PC version? Cause I would assume we get higher resolution textures? Well as long as it's less then 300 gb I don't mind (otherwise it wouldn't fit on my games partition).
I'm a bit worried about this as well. If they just globally shrunk the textures down to make it fit on a 360 disc I'll be kind of angry.

Dr_Horrible

Oct 24, 2010
SextusMaximus said:
Dr_Horrible said:
SextusMaximus said:
Dr_Horrible said:
Maybe I just don't understand how 360 hardware works, but is this news? It's pretty standard for rpgs, especially, to put it on one disk because f carrying over player data.
But this isn't a normal RPG.

[HEADING=1]THIS SKYRIM![/HEADING]
Good point, good point... I say 250 gigs or else!

I just hope you don't kick me into a bottomless pit...
I wasn't actually quite thinking along those lines when I posted, but yes, now would be an adequate time to use that meme.

Not going to, though - cause I'm nice and all.

[sub]and I've ran out of pits[/sub]
Phew, guess I dodged a bullet there... Good to know.

Also, you may wish to put up a safety railing.

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009
Tharwen said:
This is what happens when you're working in the same company as John Carmack, High Wizard of Games Technology and Related Arts. Woo, go ZeniMax!
Your avatar. Yes good sir. Just yes.

I'm really not surprised by this. Technical wizardry aside, this is the norm. The only game I own that required two discs was Mass Effect 2, and I'm not sure why...this is coming from the hands of a technological idiot, but I'm sure it could have worked fine on 1 disc.

devotedsniper

Dec 28, 2010
XaVierDK said:
McNinja said:
The HDDVDs the 360 uses can handle up to 15 gigs on a single layer, double for dual-layer. The Blu-ray discs can handle about double a bit less than a dual layered HDDVD disc, which is why ME2 was two discs on the 360, but only one disc on the PS3.

The X360 never came with a HD-DVD drive... It uses standard, old, boring DVDs for both games and everything else... There was talk about an add-on drive for HD-DVDs back before the format wars ended (back in 2007), but it never materialised...
So all you get is 8 gigs on a dual-layer DVD, 4,7 on a single layer...

Best Regards :)
Actually it was real (i used to see them for sale used in gamestation, it was basically a white removable disc drive which hooked up to the usb) back when it was HD vs Blu-ray, blu ray won so it never became popular.

In fact after a quick google i found it: http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/4-/3271081/Xbox-360-HD-DVD-Drive/Product.html?_%24ja=tsid:11518|cat:3271081|prd:3271081

As for only one disc, i don't mind means less downloading time, but as a pc user i will have alot more content a few month down the line anyway.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
WHOO.

Still gonna install it to hard drive anyway.

And get the PC version I can't run on the Holiday Steam sale.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
STOP! YOU'VE VIOLATED THE LAWs of nature? Very nicely done Bethesda. This doesn't, however, ease my feverish countdown until 11/11/11.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Best guess they used impostering, same thing Bungie used in Reach.

Also Human Revolution fit on one disc.

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
Clearly, they went and dumbed down the gigabytes. Thanks a lot, Bethesda.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
McNinja said:

Wow, you do know the HD Disc war was won by Blu-Ray right and HD DVD is now a dead format. What made you think that they would be putting Skyrim on a dead format?

Shakomaru

May 18, 2011
I like the way this man writes.
Next thing ya know Bethesda will figure out how to get it to run perfectly in HD on a Wii. But I'm buying off of Steam, because it's so gosh-darn useful.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Dr_Horrible said:
Maybe I just don't understand how 360 hardware works, but is this news? It's pretty standard for rpgs, especially, to put it on one disk because f carrying over player data.
Wait, so you don't think the 360 can't do what the original Playstation could do (save player data from one disc to the next)?

Oblivion only had one DVD but JRPG's on the 360 have had multiple discs. Lost Odyssey had 4 discs, Blue Dragon had 3, Last Remnant had 3 I think and Final Fantasy XIII had 3. Luckily player data was retained when swapping discs...LOL

Dr_Horrible

Oct 24, 2010
Crono1973 said:
Dr_Horrible said:
Wait, so you don't think the 360 can't do what the original Playstation could do (save player data from one disc to the next)?

Oblivion only had one DVD but JRPG's on the 360 have had multiple discs. Lost Odyssey had 4 discs, Blue Dragon had 3, Last Remnant had 3 I think and Final Fantasy XIII had 3. Luckily player data was retained when swapping discs...LOL
I certainly didn't say it was impossible, just that western RPGs are pretty much traditionally one-disk affairs. At least, this is true for the pc (admittedly, we don't get quite as many jRPGs for reference). As I said, I don't know much about 360 hardware, but I was under the impression most games were still a single disk on there. I never said it was actually impossible, though I figured it was simpler to put it on one disk.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
zelda2fanboy said:
Unless you used really high bitrates to compress your music, 8 gigs is a lot of Bob Dylan, even by Bob Dylan standards. That would have to be every studio album, live album, official bootleg, nonofficial bootleg, alternate mono versions, and a couple of box sets.
I'm sure he's also counting Chronicles as read by Sean Penn, which shouldn't count, but is awesome.