Skyrim...have you cheated?

everythingbeeps

Sep 30, 2011
Sure have.

I suppose I got to about level 45 or so legitimately. But by then I'd already leveled up all the skills I was going to really use for the game. So yes, I did that bookshelf glitch with that ugly book whose name I forget to get everything to 100 and my overall level to 80 or 81. But I was also over 100 hours played and nearing the end when I did that.

The only other way I could be said to have "cheated" is I took advantage of that "Free house in Whiterun" exploit. But that was it.

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
I'm on the PS3 so I can't use console commands. But I did cheat. Kind of. Hadvar/Ralof are immortal, so I used them in Helgen Keep to level my sneak to 100, my one-handed to 45, and my two-handed to 40, for the extra levels and perks. Especially useful for the character I actually intended to sneak with, too.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
I have a confession. I cheated again.

I married Ysolda and used console commands to give her a pretty sexy outfit instead of her 1986 blue denim dress. I decided to use the "nocturnal" robes with an HD Aqua texture download lol. Also made her wear a nice circlet and her wedding ring so she looks pretty hot. Oh, it also helps I downloaded a "clean bodies" mod haha.

Although oddly enough the last time I visited her she was just in her underwear. I hope she remembers to wear her clothes in public next time! Also I need to find her some proper shoes rofl.

Anyway, that's just silliness on my part not really cheating.

Zenkem

May 3, 2009
After jumping against the mountain around Labyrintia for an unreasonably long time, I used tcl to just fly there. It STILL took a long while, so I am happy that I didn't spend even more time with it.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
dmase said:
Wolfram01 said:
Lenin211 said:
I used the iron dagger exploit but that's it.
If you mean for leveling blacksmithing, that's not really an exploit just a bad design decision. Well, ok, I guess they are pretty much the same thing... but not quite!

After all, I leveled Enchanting to 100 with petty soul gems. Which I would use to enchant my iron daggers. And then sell for mad profits.

Yeah, maybe it is an exploit.
What other useful way would you increase your enchantment and smithing? I don't see it as an exploit, unless you use it for power leveling and at that point I just have to go lol. Wait till you enter a dungeon or fight a dragon.
Well, I think it would be reasonable if you couldn't level past a certain point using the lowest level craftable item. Or at least have diminishing returns. Iron and leather is super easy to get a hold of either in the wild or off vendors, and by the time you make daggers and give them absorb health, you earn a nice profit and can do it until you run out of soul gems. I didn't even purchase materials until I got close to 90 in enchanting and blacksmithing, then spent a couple hours and just powered out those last few skill levels (had to do a hunting trip for soul gems).

But yeah after that I made myself Legendary Dragonscale armor and have 100% cost reduction on destruction magic, so I increased the difficulty to Master. It's definitely a lot harder against multiple baddies, but for example a single Dragon Priest is easy as pie because of the Impact perk and I just spam fireballs. Still, I do need to be careful most of the time so don't think I'm complaining. Merely discussing a somewhat... odd... system implemented by the game.

Master Kuja

May 28, 2008
Opened the dev console once on my ranger character because I really started getting bothered by his appearance. Popped open the showracemenu and after fixing things up, it dicked up all my skills, so I used the setav command to reset everything back to their prior values.

Not cheating, since I gave myself no buffs and just did it to change my appearance, but yeah, I've used the dev console.

SuperCombustion

Aug 10, 2010
Beat a boss character by hitting him so hard that he fell into the floor. He had a quest item in his inventory that I needed so naturally I was screaming FUUUUUUUUUUU-
and my last autosave was leaving the town to GO TO THE DUNGEON THAT WAS SEVERAL FLOORS DEEP.
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF*ERROR*
/me turns on console, toggles collision off and flys to the boss' corpse.

The only time I cheated...

OceanRunner

Mar 18, 2009
I used a trick I found online to raise my smithing level (make lots of Leather Braces and Iron Daggers). That's about as close as I've got to cheating.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
xxcutesnakeyxx said:
Joccaren said:
Once I'm done with the game, I'll have fun screwing around with it like I did with my friends. Spawn a 0.1 scale giant. Still gives a space program. Spawn a 0.01 scale Giant, or smaller so that you can't even see it. Randomly flying people everywhere. Spawn a 100 scale Alduin above Whiterun. Its on. Spawn a 0.01 or smaller scale elder dragon in random town. Watch as random fires appear and burn everything.
Once I'm done screwing around, I'll have me some massive Empire v Stormcloak battles. I'm thinking at least 20 soldiers per side for the test run, make sure Skyrim isn't odd and using a ton of resources for them for no reason. Preferably, I'd like to get up to 300 soldiers on each side, but that may be pushing things a bit.
This sounds beautiful. Will you make a video?
If I can get a decent and free screen capture program. Current one only allows playbacks with speeds <30 FPS, and saves them like that even if I recorded at 100+ FPS. Really gets on my nerves :/

BathorysGraveland

Dec 7, 2011
I've used the console for three things, none of them cheating. They are:

I used the 'remove item' command on Lydia to get rid of her damn bow. I would have to count the fingers on both hands the times I've died charging into combat thinking Lydia was by my side, only to find out that she opted to hang back with her bow and avail me nothing by missing the enemy or doing the most minimal damage possible. Grr. All that console command has done has turned her into a pure-warrior character like me.

The 2nd one I have done, is lowered some of my skills. I like to role play in my game, so having a pure-warrior Redguard who hasn't touched or studied magic at all in his life, have a destruction skill of 15 is highly... silly. So, with the 'player.setav' command, I simply lowered all the magic skills, alchemy skill and pickpocket skill to 0. So, if anything, this was the complete opposite of cheating.

The 3rd and final command I have done, is a couple of 'disable' commands every now and again. As previously stated, I love to role play in my game. A part of that, is seeing the roads clear for travellers. Whenever I kill something on the road, I drag their bodies to the side to keep it clear (if they were men, mer or beastfolk, I drag them out of sight of the road). Dragon skeletons, of course, can't be dragged, so they are slab-dab in the middle of often-used roads... forever. So I use that command after an in-game day or two to get rid of them. I also use the command when I come across something I killed a long time ago, and get rid of it (as role-play wise, they would have been eaten or something by now).

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
BathorysGraveland said:
Dragon skeletons, of course, can't be dragged, so they are slab-dab in the middle of often-used roads... forever.
I understand you're roleplaying and won't ever touch this little tidbit, but it has hilarious results. Ice spike to the dragon skeleton is more effective than any FUS RO DAH.

JET1971

Apr 7, 2011
I use the unlock cheat constantly. I hate picking locks. on my first playthrough no, grind through everything. only TCL to get unstuck and others to fix buggy quests. second playthrough... my characters practicly a god. I used a script that upgraded all non combat skills to 100 and filled the perks of those skills. walk into riverwood the first time and a guard says he heard im an alchemist and wants some mead lol. so all level ups are due to combat activities and can only put perks in combat skills. I dont god mode this game so far hasnt given me a reason to in either playthrough. and I dont give myself tons of money, nothing to spend it on really.

geK0

Jun 24, 2011
mooncalf said:
geK0 said:
mooncalf said:
There were inaccesible places in oblivion? I just jumped everywhere I needed to go!
Even though I spent many hours in oblivion, I never did get my acrobatics up to 100... Shame, I would have liked to hop across water...
I dont think I ever got it to 100, but I DID heavily abuse stat enchants and buff spells.

Fortify acrobats by 100 for 2 seconds is all you need lmao!

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Drakmorg said:
If you count using the console to give merchants enough gold to buy all my loot, then yes, all the goddamn time.
How do you do that?

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
kiri2tsubasa said:
I pay it on the PS3, so I can not cheat using the console command. Oh, and incase you are wondering I have yet to come across the problems that 'plague' the PS3 version even though the save file is almost 15mb. Were they exaggerating or am I simply in a minority in which it works with little-no problem?
Everyone was lying about the PS3 lag, it doesn't really exist and YOU exposed the lies. Feel better?

/sarcasm

Drakmorg

Local Cat
Aug 15, 2008
Crono1973 said:
Drakmorg said:
If you count using the console to give merchants enough gold to buy all my loot, then yes, all the goddamn time.
How do you do that?
1) Open the console (default mapped to the ~ key)
2) click on the merchant
3) Type in "additem F 5000" and press enter

The merchant in question now has 5000 more gold to buy your loot with.
Or there's a mod you can download that makes all merchants restock with 10,000 gold, that's what I did since I got tired of constantly bringing up the console and typing in that command.

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
Yes, because Lydia died on me and I needed her to carry all that loot out of the dungeon damn it!

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Yep, I used it for something that should have been in the game in some form or at least should have been modded in within 5 minutes of release - Perk respeccing. You should be able to reassign perks in some shape or form. The descriptions on them are often inadequate and I had "buyer's guilt" a lot when I started playing. Even now, while I'm building my Mage I'm not quite sure if I want to go for Illusion magic. One one hand, I heard it's cool, but on the other hand I'm pretty sure I might as well not bother without all the perks for it. Using the console to respec my Perks allows me to try Illusion and see if I like it. If I don't I can just move those Perks elsewhere. Like I did with the Dagger Backstab perk when I realized that 15X damage isn't that great when swords have 3X the damage of daggers and get their own 6X Backstab Perk...