Skyrim or The Witcher 2?

90sgamer

Jan 12, 2012
I found Skyrim more enjoyable between the two, but really like both games.

My opinion of Skyrim is based on a modded Skyrim. I never played it vanilla. The mods I used primarily improved what was already in the game and didn't add anything else or otherwise change the game experience. That said, Skyrim had a believable world that was interesting to explore, and held a wide variety of combat styles that were fun to try out. The visuals, modded, are stunning. Sadly, no SLI support.

The Witcher 2 had a better narrative but was less fun to play. Combat relied too heavily on dodging and the quality of the visuals was not consistent by a long shot. The chacter models, however, were stunning. I did not appreciate the overemphasis on sex compared to the first game. Lastly, the pacing of the game was all kinds of fucked up, much like the first game. CD Projekt Red need to hire another advisor to help them with that.

The conclusion is surprising to me because I always prefer linear narrative RPGs to Western style RPGs. I typically dislike sand box games as well. I wouldn't have anticipated liking Skyrim so much. It is probably the result if Skyrim exceeding my expectations and Witcher 2 falling short of expectations.

tokae

Mar 21, 2011
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Avast.

Perhaps it was a false positive, I just figured I would make you aware of it, since there is a possibility the threat was real.
To be fair, Avast! will give you alot of false positives but also always protect you. As for the link that was posted to hark.com, it was indeed a false positive.

And to stay on topic:
I prefer TW2 myself, mainly because I feel more bad-ass as Geralt than any of my Skyrim-chars.
Skyrim is great for just running around and exploring things and hunting bandits but there is no pay-off for anything. I still enjoy it, very much so even, but it all feels kinda pointless.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Witcher 2 is definitely a better choice because of the fleshed out characters and story and I have always liked that compared to a sandbox.

And this coming from having spent 300hours in Skyrim.

Savagezion

Mar 28, 2010
Draech said:
I am sorry how did I do the same thing as him?

I point out why they are incompatible as comparison. If I had used Diablo and Skyrim would that have made a difference for my argument? No. They dont try the same thing and he more or less goes "They are both RPG's in a fantasy setting. Therefore comparable". That doesn't make any sense. it is like going "Grand Tourismo and mario kart are comparable because they are both races".

Skyrim gives people a sandbox to play in and Witcher gives you a locked interactive story. Tell me does Skyrim end when you kill when your main story is over? No. Witchers does. That is because it isn't the same thing. Of you are going to broaden your comparisons you might as well go "You can compare them because they are both games".
It is perfectly acceptable to compare GT and Mario Cart. Is it not ok to compare star wars and star trek? All they have in common is space travel and aliens. Yet, people compare them all the time. These things are definitely in the realm of comparison is all I am pointing out. If you think that is inconceivable, whatever. Is it Torchlight vs Diablo? No, but it is still closer than the threads of "which is better, L4D2 or Mario Kart? That is some wtf stuff. Witcher or Skyrim, isn't any different than comparing TES and Dragon Age which happens all the time too.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
I haven't played Skyrim yet (I know right?) but it looks to be the love child of Oblivion and Fallout 3 so I'll have to assume some things.

For me personally it has to be The Witcher 2.

I really prefer the pre defined character that is Geralt as oppose to a blank slate character I never get to see (Yes I know you can change to 3rd person). In fact all the characters in The Witcher 2 I find interesting, fleshed out, dynamic, but with the Skyrim characters I've seen in videos they all seem like stupid androids kind of just following their routine. I find it hard to get truly immersed in Bethesda games although it is fun to just walk around, go spelunking, murder some bandits and steal their loot, I find it hard to give a shit about the characters and the story.

Everything you need in an RPG was there for me in The Witcher 2.

Simonoly

Oct 17, 2011
They're both so very different. It would probably be better to ask "Witcher 2 or Dragon Age 2?" or some other RPG series that isn't truly open world and has a pre-defined player character. Unless you wanted to know which one to buy?

Personally, I enjoyed The Witcher 2 for the story, the gorgeous visuals and interesting characters. But I found the combat quite dull and the game is actually quite short lived so I never felt like I had enough time to really explore the alchemy etc. I actually think the Witcher series could benefit from being a bit more like Dragon Age: Origins and allow you to explore a bit more of the world. It's set in a truly fascinating world and I'd love a little bit more freedom to explore it.

I probably rate Skyrim over the Witcher 2 purely because I prefer the variability that Bethesda games offer.

TrollFase

Sep 29, 2012
The Witcher 2.

I have played both and beaten each, and I would choose The Witcher 2 as a suggested game over Skyrim without hesitation. This is not me saying that Skyrim sucked, I absolutely LOVED Skyrim, its just the story on Witcher 2 was so engaging and visceral that I was completely, for lack of a better word, attached to the world/story/gameplay. The characters aren't tired out tropes, they are incredibly unique and each offers a new experience in dialogue and such. CD Projekt RED worked extremely hard on their character design, and it really shows. The story and world are a very mature and realistic take on the standard "Swords and Sorcery" setting. The monsters are crisp, and unique and the fauna is very well detailed and well designed.

I could keep going on about Witcher 2 all day, but im just going to stop at the above.

If for nothing else; get Witcher 2 for the story, its top-notch.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
SecretNegative said:
Do you mean which is best? Because those two are about as incomparable as you can get.

I prefer Witcher 2, but that's mostly because I like a focused linear story over a billion stories in a sandbox.
Really, two RPG's are as incomparable as you can get? How about Witcher 2 vs Mario Galaxy, wouldn't that be MORE incomparable?

If you lack the ability to compare two RPG's, then why even respond at all?

prophecy2514

Nov 7, 2011
TrollFase said:
The Witcher 2.

I have played both and beaten each, and I would choose The Witcher 2 as a suggested game over Skyrim without hesitation. This is not me saying that Skyrim sucked, I absolutely LOVED Skyrim, its just the story on Witcher 2 was so engaging and visceral that I was completely, for lack of a better word, attached to the world/story/gameplay. The characters aren't tired out tropes, they are incredibly unique and each offers a new experience in dialogue and such. CD Projekt RED worked extremely hard on their character design, and it really shows. The story and world are a very mature and realistic take on the standard "Swords and Sorcery" setting. The monsters are crisp, and unique and the fauna is very well detailed and well designed.

I could keep going on about Witcher 2 all day, but im just going to stop at the above.

If for nothing else; get Witcher 2 for the story, its top-notch.
Exactly my opinion. I loved the shit outta skyrim. But the witcher 2 is fantasic, so good that I bought an xbox just so I could play it right through, as I almost exclusively use a ps3 for games.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Elmoth said:
Zhukov said:
I enjoyed them both for different reasons and eventually came to despise them both for different reasons.

[sub](If that sounds vague it's because I'm not actually sure what the OP wants us to talk about.)[/sub]
You actually despise The Witcher 2? Why is that?
Hyperbole.

But if you reeeeeally want to know:

Setting was dull and cliche. Dragons. Mages. Dwarves with beards in mines. Elves with bows in forests. Blah-de-blah.

Characters were boring and one-note.

Story started out okay, if rather cliche, with the framed-for-assassination-gotta-clear-your-name thing. Took a turn downhill when Little Miss T&A got kidnapped. Completely stopped giving a shit by the second act. Laughed out loud with the dragon-in-disguise business.

Combat also started out okay when it was tense and difficult. Got progressively easier and eventually overstayed its welcome something fierce. Eventually said "oh fuck this" and spammed bombs for the rest of the game.

Encountered some nasty bugs. One made all my controls except movement unresponsive. Kept having to run in circles through fight until the game deigned to unfuck itself. Funny the first five times. Less funny by the twentieth time.

Interface was woeful.

At least the trailers were nice.