Skyrim Patch Makes Dragons Fly Backwards

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Skyrim Patch Makes Dragons Fly Backwards

Patch 1.2 causes more problems and doesn't even fix the lag experienced by PS3 users.

Remember the patch that was supposed to cure all our ills in Skyrim [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.327636-Skyrim-Patch-Notes-Released]? The one that would let PS3 players who had amassed 50+ hours actually play their game without soul-crushing lag? Well, it didn't work out exactly like Bethesda expected. Not only did patch 1.2 not really fix the lag problem, but new bugs popped up on both the Xbox 360 (available last night) and the PS3 version. How's this backwards flying dragon for you? That looks ... awkward.

As awful as that appears, crazy backwards dragons are the least of the new bugs introduced by patch 1.2. Bethesda's forums have been a flutter with players complaining of resistances no longer functioning as advertised, making the game much harder for those relying on such gear. Other issues like books not showing up on shelves and mannequins disappearing when armor is placed on them have also been reported.

The PS3 lag issue is still cropping up, too. On Monday, players with large save files reported that the game was back to normal without any lag, but many sources claim that issue still exists.

The Xbox patch is available to download as of last night, with the Steam patch incoming today, but you can always opt out of downloading and installing it as long as you stay off Xbox Live. Given the backwards dragons, the lag and resistance issues, it might be a good idea to wait a bit to patch before all this gets sorted out.

Especially if you haven't had any problems with the game yet, like me. Now, I'm off to go kill some vampires ...

Source: 1up [http://www.1up.com/news/skyrim-patch-12-issues-dragons-flying-backwards]

kayisking

Sep 14, 2010
I'm certain there's a great "in Soviet Russia" joke in here somewhere, but I can't seem to find it.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
That's not a bug! They're just adapting! Best AI ever! :D

All jokes aside though, I really do feel bad for laughing at Bethesda whenever they try to patch a game. Especially as I know how hard it is to code even tiny little programs.

Apr 28, 2008
Wish I would have known all this before I updated. Now I have a fucked Skyrim.

How do they keep getting away by releasing straight up broken crap like this? Yeah, big game, hard to find everything, blah blah blah. But I'm not asking for EVERYTHING to be perfect. I'm asking for the game to be functional and not completely broken.

I really don't think I'm being unreasonable here.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
The only thing for me is the PC patch is supposed to fix a few issues that bugged me. But on the other hand the game has been working more or less flawlessly for me with little to no bugs, so maybe I should wait until I hear the PC community feedback on it.

Honestly probably the worst bug I've had is quest items taking a long time to be no longer needed (and therefore tradeable) or a piece of a quest (like talk to merchant or pick up journal) showing incomplete because I did it out of order, but the quests have still worked anyway when I proceed past that point.

latenightapplepie

Nov 9, 2008
My decision to delay buying Skyrim until the inevitable Game of the Year edition is becoming more and more prudent.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
I thought this might happen. : /

Now we need a patch for this patch, and maybe a patch for that patch and still a patch for the problems that the original patch did not fix. Then the DLC is going to come out and we're going to need a patch for that, along with a patch for the issues that that patch brought up and...

IT'S FALLOUT: NEW VEGAS ALL OVER AGAIN!

Calumon: I don't think that lizard's happy with the way he's flying. It sounds like he's whining. >.<

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
Step 1. - Release CK already.
Step 2. - Modders fix the bugs themselves, as they did with Fallout and Oblivion.
Step 3. - Find a way to give mods to console users... or maybe just let them suffer for sake of fairness.
Step 4. - Everyone is happy.

It's all about having CK. We got it with Oblivion day before release... why it takes so long with Skyrim.

DrSpoy

May 26, 2011
Irridium said:
Wish I would have known all this before I updated. Now I have a fucked Skyrim.

How do they keep getting away by releasing straight up broken crap like this? Yeah, big game, hard to find everything, blah blah blah. But I'm not asking for EVERYTHING to be perfect. I'm asking for the game to be functional and not completely broken.

I really don't think I'm being unreasonable here.
Well generally with stuff like this I just think "if this is what they left in, the glitches that were left out were probably a lot worse."

enzilewulf

Jun 19, 2009
The mannequin problem was there before the patch for the PS3. As for lag, well the problem is fixed for my lv 35 thief. I mean some lag still is present but its no where near as bad as it use to be. I can actually walk in solitude with out major lag. Gets a bit clippy now and then but that's after about 7 hrs of game play.

Caveworm

Jun 8, 2011
latenightapplepie said:
My decision to delay buying Skyrim until the inevitable Game of the Year edition is becoming more and more prudent.

Wise words, indeed. Would be shame to have such an impressive game ruined by quite severe bugs.

Dabrainbox

Nov 3, 2011
The game is not "broken" I have put 30 hours into 1 character since I bought Skyrim last week, and I haven't had a single bug that prevents me from enjoying my time in the land of the Nords.

This is what Bethesda do, they release an amazing game because they put a lot of effort into it, and they release it as soon as it is ready so the fans can enjoy it all the sooner. Then they keep putting more effort in until all the bugs are fixed. Long time Bethesda fans have to put up with more of it, but they don't complain. You might as well expect Activision to not be a money-grabbing industry-whore

Electric Alpaca

What's on the menu?
May 2, 2011
Annoying.

As I slowly become open to the idea of buying this game, another reason surfaces to throw me off.

Watching that video, nothing would put off more whilst playing than seeing that.

I guess I'll play the waiting game for a lot longer.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Dang it Bethesda. All I want to do is complete a glitched College of Winterhold quest so I can have a dark elf follower for a wife. Why are you making it so hard for me to do so? :(

latenightapplepie

Nov 9, 2008
Caveworm said:
latenightapplepie said:

Wise words, indeed. Would be shame to have such an impressive game ruined by quite severe bugs.
Still, the wait isn't easy. What with most of the internet it seems so praising the game, despite the bugs.

Hopefully the wait will be worth it. Delayed gratification and all that.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
kayisking said:
I'm certain there's a great "in Soviet Russia" joke in here somewhere, but I can't seem to find it.
Yea it goes with all the suggestions for how to get Skyrim (or any Bethesda game) to run properly on a console. Suggestions like:
-Turn the machine off after a couple of hours (provided it doesn't freeze up and force you to turn off your machine)

-Make sure your HDD has plenty of space on it

-Always make a new save

-Limit the amount of save games you have

-Turn Off all Autosaves

-Try not to touch anything in the game world

-Try not to kill anyone in the game world

-Try not to enter any buildings

-Don't fast travel

-Raise/lower the temperature of the room you're playing in to exactly 72.3 degrees

-Place your ps3 in the Northern most point in the room.

-Play with your game pad above nipple level and your feet above shoulder level

-Inscribe the case of your ps3 with the invokation runes from the Lesser Key of Solomon

-Offer a sacrafice to the Norse God Loki

-Call your mother just to say "hi"

and most importantly

-if you replaced your HDD, take the original, wrap it in a clean towel and sleep with it under your pillow during the next new moon.

Yea.

In Soviet Russia Bethesda game play you.

But seriously, it's hard to believe anyone would be surprised by this or the game being broken in the first place...anyone who's ever heard of Bethesda at least.

I knew Skyrim would be broken and I also knew the first few patches wouldn't do anything helpful. And no I'm not psychic.