Skyrim spawns a meme.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
JupiterBase said:
Why do you think this happened?
These things just happen. We're all sick of hearing of mythological cakes, lemon grenades, famous literary author based gnome puns, and now arrows to knees. There will be more to come, and there have been others (Use the Boost to get through!), and others yet that didn't catch on until years afterwards (All your base are belong to us!). We will inevitably find more and more, being a culture that loves to share such minute snippets that allow for a familiarity between strangers. And some of these memes will reach a transcendence, to find themselves in a hall of fame, alongside men who "have covered wars, you know", or perhaps were gifted or deformed by having testicles made from an iron-carbon alloy.

So, while we're ordering criminal scum to stop right there, or attacking weak points for massive damage!, or observing our fairy addressing us, then advising us to hear what it says, just remember--it's not the first, it won't be the last, and, if we can ever let it die, it might just become positively nostalgic for us. It's not much use shouting Objection!, it's best to just Do a Barrel Roll! with it.

Now, would you kindly hand me that glass? All this talking has made me thirsty.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Jaythulhu said:
ChupathingyX said:
*snip*
Most video game memes tend to get really annoying, the Deus Ex and DE:HR ones, however, are still funny for some reason and one of very few that I don't find irritating.
Indeed. I still chuckle every time one of my Chimeras (Chimerae? Chimerii?) yells "Drive me closer, I want to hit it with my sword!" in DoW2.
Of course, how could I forget the Dawn of War I/II memes? Those are also pretty funny, especially "Drive me closer".

Also I'd like to point out that the Chimera driver doesn't actually say that; the Commissar is the one who says it when he loads into the Chimera.

-Drifter-

Jun 9, 2009
ChupathingyX said:
Yeah this one has already become annoying for me, and none of them have made me laugh so far (prove me wrong).

Most video game memes tend to get really annoying, the Deus Ex and DE:HR ones, however, are still funny for some reason and one of very few that I don't find irritating.
I never asked for this meme.

psivamp

Jan 7, 2010
Sparrow said:
I'm much more of a fan of the Fus Ro Dah meme. Hearing that then seeing real people get thrown great distances? That shit is just priceless.

For your viewing pleasure:

Nice. I'd personally only seen the Fus Ro Dah meme before, and it hasn't been done to death (for me). Also, I just expected this to be a montage of sending bandits to their death by Shouting them off of towers -- this is much better.

Futurenerd

The Man With the Golden Bun
Oct 28, 2009
zspartancats said:
This is just like the cake is a lie meme.

It will hit its peak and then fade into obscurity. I'll give this meme till next month, then everyone will forget it.
"Took an arrow in the knee" used to be a cool meme.
Then it took an arrow in the knee.

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
I got to kneeing, maybe I'M the arrow, but then I took a sweetroll to my cousin.

KefkaCultist

Jun 8, 2010
one of my friends was complaining about the meme on facebook and I knew he hates the "yo dawg..." memes so I responded with this:

"Yo dawg, I heard you like arrow to the knee jokes so we put an arrow to the knee joke inside your arrow to the knee joke so that you can take an arrow to the knee while you take arrows to the knee."

He hasn't talked to me since...

rod_hynes

Jun 21, 2009
BehattedWanderer said:
JupiterBase said:
Why do you think this happened?
These things just happen. We're all sick of hearing of mythological cakes, lemon grenades, famous literary author based gnome puns, and now arrows to knees. There will be more to come, and there have been others (Use the Boost to get through!), and others yet that didn't catch on until years afterwards (All your base are belong to us!). We will inevitably find more and more, being a culture that loves to share such minute snippets that allow for a familiarity between strangers. And some of these memes will reach a transcendence, to find themselves in a hall of fame, alongside men who "have covered wars, you know", or perhaps were gifted or deformed by having testicles made from an iron-carbon alloy.

So, while we're ordering criminal scum to stop right there, or attacking weak points for massive damage!, or observing our fairy addressing us, then advising us to hear what it says, just remember--it's not the first, it won't be the last, and, if we can ever let it die, it might just become positively nostalgic for us. It's not much use shouting Objection!, it's best to just Do a Barrel Roll! with it.

Now, would you kindly hand me that glass? All this talking has made me thirsty.
You win lol

Seydaman

Nov 21, 2008
I used to complain about memes like you, then I took a keyboard to the face...

Hur hur hur...

I used to be a student like you, but then I took a pencil to the knee...

I can do this all day!

weker

May 27, 2009
General Vagueness said:
weker said:
it's been overused to "oblivion" already, the internet has already ran a possibly good internet meme into the ground, and now just makes me sad.
The first I heard of it was a minute ago in a comment on the latest Extra Punctuation and it's already been run into the ground? There are a few possibilities here:
1. you're underestimating what the Internet can do
2. you have a 4chan or anti-4chan type of viewpoint (not that there's anything wrong with that)
3. I'm going to be surprised
4. ???
5. I can has over 9000 arrows to the knee, desu~?
3, it's hard to move more then one maybe two web pages without it popping up, and is been used loads more then the Cake is a lie.

PhantomEcho

Nov 25, 2011
KefkaCultist said:
one of my friends was complaining about the meme on facebook and I knew he hates the "yo dawg..." memes so I responded with this:

"Yo dawg, I heard you like arrow to the knee jokes so we put an arrow to the knee joke inside your arrow to the knee joke so that you can take an arrow to the knee while you take arrows to the knee."

He hasn't talked to me since...

And rightly so. You definitely had it coming.

Also, I kind've like the arrow to the knee meme. I read it, and I find myself wondering whether they're going to go for the 'took an arrow to the knee' angle, or mix it up a bit. When they do mix it up, I usually chuckle. Why?

Because it's intentionally ridiculous. It's mocking something deserving of being mocked.

I just wish folks would latch onto a few of the other ridiculous things people say repeatedly in that game. You know, shake 'em up a bit.

"You and me, we're the only knees around who aren't complete scum."

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Ah, it's funny thinking up versions with friends, but it'll got old real quick in any other way...

Though, when I went on this thread, I expected this kinda thing;

Seriously, I could watch these all day.

skip to 00:40 for fus do rah.

psyk

Dec 25, 2008
"I'm really surprised honestly that its caught on like it has. Seen an particular variation that you thought was funny? Why do you think this happened."

People are dense and need to feel like they fit in.

"I just wish folks would latch onto a few of the other ridiculous things people say repeatedly in that game."

how is it "ridiculous" sounds like a good reason to not be a adventurer to me.

PhantomEcho

Nov 25, 2011
psyk said:
"I'm really surprised honestly that its caught on like it has. Seen an particular variation that you thought was funny? Why do you think this happened."

People are dense and need to feel like they fit in.

"I'm really surprised honestly that insulting entire fan-bases(its) has caught on like it has. Seen any particular jackasses (variation) that you thought deserved pointing out (were funny)? Why do you think this happened?"

Because people are insecure, irritable, and self-centered. Anything they don't like, they hate... and anyone who likes something they don't is obviously only worthy of ridicule for being the stupid, tasteless jerkoffs they are.