Skyrim: Stormcloak or Empire?

SirCannonFodder

Nov 23, 2007
legion431 said:
So you went with the people who tried to kill you at the start of the game? Okay.

I had to choose the Stormcloaks because I despise the Thalmor.
Read this [http://www.imperial-library.info/content/skyrim-concises-account-great-war-between-empire-and-aldmeri-dominion], and you'll see the Empire hates the Thalmor just as much as anyone, if not more.

King of Wei

Jan 13, 2011
Levski7 said:
ocelot0222222 said:
a decisive victoy against the Empire is a victory against the Thalmor
That's retarded.
How so? Is extremely evident throughout the game that the Empire is now just a tool for the Dominion. Beating the Empire goes against Thalmor interests, so it counts as a victory against them as well.

Fleetfiend

Jun 1, 2011
I went with the Stormcloaks, but I hate them both.

I didn't go very far with them, but I DID join. Ick.

Nuuu

Jan 28, 2011
I chose Imperial as character, but i went with Stormcloak just because i felt like i was running out of time. Here's what was going on in my mind:

"Oh crap i have to choose, oh crap"
"Well this guy was helping me so maybe... and that door was closer so they might expect me to go there"
"Crap i have to hurry up, this or this, this guy was a rebel with me, but this guy helped me..."
**Takes a bit of damage and hears a roar behind him**
"OH CRAP, I CHOOSE THE REBEL!"

I'm not the best under pressure...

Fiad

Apr 3, 2010
I ended up siding with the Empire, I just could not stand Ulfric. The final thing that made me pick the Empire was when I learned that Ulfric was the one forcing the Dark Elves into the slum and banned the Argonians from the city. The Empire may have banned Talos worship, but that was the act of a cowardly emperor, not the Empire itself. Most of them couldn't care any less whether Talos was worshiped or not.

Plus from a Roleplay standpoint my character is a Khajiit, he would be much more likely to side with the Empire than the Stormcloaks. As a final stab at Ulfric after I completed the civil war questline I married an Argonian and had them live in my Windhelm house.

FurinKazanNZ

Dec 30, 2009
XMark said:
Is it possible to switch sides when you're already deep into the quest line for one faction?
If you gained the misc quest join the empire, then join stormcloaks you'll notice it pops up "Failed: Join the empire" or somesuch, so nope.

Ziggy109

Feb 20, 2010
I sided with the Empire because I think that they have the best shot at bringing down the Aldmeri Dominion. That, and I always thought it was kind of funny how the Stormcloaks want to break away from the Empire so they can worship Talos, when the reason that Talos became a Divine in the first place was uniting Tamriel under the Empire.

Kvaedi

Jul 7, 2011
I don't have Skyrim yet, but I know I'll side with the Stormcloaks. Why? They hate those smug little Dunmer. All throughout Morrowind I was plagued by the desire to slam my Nord fist into Dunmer faces as they taunted me ("You n'wah!") and were generally just racist towards me. While I loved the land of Morrowind, I find a grim satisfaction knowing it has been torn apart and demolished. Those rude Dark Elfs got what was coming to them.

Honestly, I see the Empire as doomed. It's going down in flames.

gNetkamiko

Aug 25, 2010
I've sided with the Stormcloaks just to see what was what (it was my first time playing, and had no idea why they started the civil war to begin with.) I waited until my Khajiit assassin was at least lvl. 20 before traveling to Winterhold to talk to Uflric about joining the rebellion.

It wasn't long before I realized that, at least in my opinion, siding with them was a bad idea. The biggest of the problems (and, evidently, the most common one among gamers) I had with them is they are incredibly racist. Then, there's the Thalmor dossier, where you find out that Ulfric had, in fact, helped them (it's highly likely that, since he helped them, he'll help them again.) And, finally, there's the empire, who would fall under the heels of the Thalmor if Skyrim broke off from it.

Next time I play, I'll start my character over and take the side of the Imperials if I pick a side at all.

DutchAssassin8

Mar 11, 2010
Kwil said:
Man..all you guys with your high-falutin' ethics and crap.

Imperials give you better armor. And if I'm gonna be in a war, I want to be on the side with the better armor. Case closed.
You said it dude. I like all this debate about morals n stuff but sometimes its better to go with the simple motivation

DutchAssassin8

Mar 11, 2010
I initially wanted to join the Empire because i effin idolize Darth Vader. Later i realised it was the right thing to do.

At the beginning at the execution, i sided with the Stormcloaks because:

The guy who was in the carriage with you was kinda nice

Yahtzee told me it was the best choice

And the dragon found me and was roasting me to perfection so i had to pick the option closest to me.

droop99

Feb 12, 2011
stormcloak because i dont really trust a bunch people tried to chop off my head and i killed their emperor

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
I'm avoiding picking a side, mainly because I don't like either of them. In the end, I fear, I'll be pushed towards the Empire seeing as I'm an Argonian in Skyrim, and I actually want to be able to -win- when we come to fight the Thalmor again. Seriously, what stands better chances, Skyrim alone, or the remaining Empire as well as Skyrim? Also
You find a dossier on Ulfric in the Thalmor Embassy; the Thalmor are manipulating Ulfric. He doesn't like this, but he's still dancing to their tune whether he like it or not. http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Thalmor_Dossier:_Ulfric_Stormcloak
But yes. Thalmor are dicks.

y1fella

Jul 29, 2009
I'm sick of siding with rebellions so I Imperials. The storm cloaks motivations for rebelling against the empire are all as thick as piss. It's worth noting that I took immense pleasure at the death of Ulfric.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
lets see, the empire tried to kill me and have no deathstars, so i go to the storm cloaks, then again Stormcloaks are essentially BNP and forc the dunmer (my favourite race btw) into slums so the empire seems to be the least crap here

Klagermeister

Jun 13, 2008
Jamous said:
I'm avoiding picking a side, mainly because I don't like either of them. In the end, I fear, I'll be pushed towards the Empire seeing as I'm an Argonian in Skyrim, and I actually want to be able to -win- when we come to fight the Thalmor again. Seriously, what stands better chances, Skyrim alone, or the remaining Empire as well as Skyrim? Also
You find a dossier on Ulfric in the Thalmor Embassy; the Thalmor are manipulating Ulfric. He doesn't like this, but he's still dancing to their tune whether he like it or not. http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Thalmor_Dossier:_Ulfric_Stormcloak
But yes. Thalmor are dicks.
Did you happen to miss the last part of the dossier?
A Stormcloak victory is also to be avoided, however, so even indirect aid to the Stormcloaks must be carefully managed.
Here's what the addition of that last line tells me:
Ulfric is secretly in cahoots with the Thalmor purely because he trusts that they'll protect his interests. Obviously the Thalmor have a major grudge against the empire, what with the Great War business a few decades back, and the only thing keeping them from directly assaulting Solitude and the rest of the Imperial bases throughout Skyrim is the White-Gold Concordat. The Thalmor simply want both sides to continue a bloody civil battle with no victor, leaving both weak for the elves to defeat in the future.
Now, it's apparent that Ulfric has a subconscious dislike for the Thalmor. Why else would he object to the Thalmor agent appearing at the Greybeard Peace Conference? My belief is that that agent proposed to General Tullius that she appear at the peace conference purely so that she could report to her uppers the situation allowing the Thalmor to plan their future assaults accordingly. She used the White Gold Concordat excuse as cover, and Tullius grudgingly accepted.

So, to conclude:
The Thalmor plan to support Ulfric only during the civil war, then betray him after he has won when his military strength is weak.

So you basically have two choices:
1. Help the Empire, whose victory over Skyrim potentially violates the WGC, and reboots the Great War.
2. Help the Stormcloaks, whose victory over Skyrim causes the Thalmor to start a new war.

Both of those sound pretty shitty, but I'd rather give the Thalmor a little victory than restart The Great War.
Stormcloaks it is.