Skyrim Streamlining Removes Confusion, Says Bethesda

Pscyon

Mar 9, 2009
Well. Fable is doing well enough for itself with less and less complexity in terms of skills and attributes, maybe that's the route they're going for? 2 Elder Scrolls from now and there will be 3 stats/skills: Strength/Intelligence/Agility, Melee/Magic/Shooting.

Time will tell I suppose, it's looking to be a good enough game. Oblivion's a great game but a slightly poorer Elder Scrolls than its predecessors. Fallout 3's a great game but a crap Fallout. Maybe I'm just getting old or something though. *shrug*

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
Vibhor said:
Meh. Skyrim still seems like Oblivion 2.0
That may not be a bad thing for some of you but for me, a person who grew on Daggerfall, is most atrocious insult you can do to a series. I am still waiting for the day when someone does a RPG on the scale of Daggerfall. Upgraded graphics be damned, if they even get the gameplay right(improve upon it) then I would play the game even if it had the graphics of Wolfenstien.
Must have been a messy childhood for you. The game crashed for me every few minutes of gameplay, pretty much everything had some kind of bug and the world was an absolutely massive expanse of... nothing really, since it was randomly generated and it showed. If you released something like that today, you would be skinned alive. Nostalgia is fine, but give me a break.

May 26, 2010
So long as this new engine makes it easier to mod in what you want, when you want, I don't give a shit.

And is there any word yet on porting the mods to consoles? I heard something about that and I hope it comes about. It would be great to bring the consolers on board the modding community so we can bring some sort of end to the war.

LegionDre

Sep 2, 2010
I do think Skyrim will be a great game. I will purchase it on launch day with the most expensive/extra-filled edition possible.

But...

My concern on lack of classes and removal of seemingly useless skills is this. Losing the ability to set exactly what I want to try. It is easy to fall into the same old song and dance. If I have been playing for 400 or so hours with one character and working with a set style that I was able to define at the start of the game. What will happen if I start over. It will be completely up to you to restrict yourself from falling back into old habits.

I like being restricted by the fact that the skills I chose at the start will be probably the only options I have that will be truly effective. So when the going gets tough you will have to make the skills you chose work and learn something new or a new way to do things rather that just switch back to hack and slash that you have mastered in a previous play through.

Which was kinda awesome in Morrowind (as much as i hated the whole rolling damage system) that it punished you for trying to use something your character had no skill in.

(I wasn't a huge fan of morrowind but I still enjoyed the game. Was very different to the kind of games I was used to and was very refreshing)

I can deal with the armour changes since it will allow for faster loading and more people on screen at once. (not to say there would not be many in the first place but now the can take things further than they originally projected) Also the more types of armour (elven, iron, mithril etc.) because of the fact there are just less actual pieces of armour to process will be nice. I just hope that there are variations in statistics that will allow for choosing armour that will aid your character in the way you want to go.

Hand to hand should have stayed. Regardless of the fact that I never used my fists unless hilariously necessary.

Acrobat and Athletics where fine didn't need to stay didn't need to go.
It was cool to out run someone in the game though or to avoid confrontation by means of jumping on to the nearest tall thing.

I still have great confidence in Beth and in the elder scrolls games. Looking forward to it.

Please DO NOT let the small details the devs are flicking around stop you from enjoying something that can/would/should be great. I'm pulling for ya... we are all in this together.

Nazgual

Apr 16, 2011
TheDooD said:
Why should I just use effective tactics in a game all the time? It kills replay value for me. There's no need to remove anything in a system what they should do is make everything work effectively.
Designing a game is hard. A lot of developers admit that some features they put in a game didn't work or were useless because they didn't get enough time to fix them up. Sometimes they can't delay the release even if they know the game still needs some work on it. Bethesda probably does not have the time do get fist fighting to work (its going to be a massive game after all) and/or maybe they know people didn't use it in Oblivion. They are giving us heaps of weapons, spells and shouts to use so I don't think removing fist fighting, which is weaker than the rest, is going to ruin it.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
apsham said:
Headsprouter said:
Streamlining involves "line". Evokes thoughts of a linear game. This can't be good.
Wow. Just wow. That is one of the most extreme and poorly thought out instances of linking two things together, that ends up making absolutely no sense I have ever seen.
Fine, I'll rephrase. I was hoping this game would be a lot more like oblivion than the outlook seems to be. Look, I said I'd rephrase and ended up saying something entirely different. Shows how much I think before I do things.

Fishyash

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2010
TBH he does have a point. I did feel that way when I played, thinking I chose the wrong stuff and wanted to start over again.

However I would prefer having the choice, i'm hoping there will be a mod that lets players have the more complex stats system.

PrinceOfShapeir

Mar 27, 2011
You know, I'd lay good money that Hand to Hand just got amalgamated into one of the other weapon categories. He said he removed the skill hand to hand, not the ability to punch stuff.

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
Nazgual said:
TheDooD said:
Why should I just use effective tactics in a game all the time? It kills replay value for me. There's no need to remove anything in a system what they should do is make everything work effectively.
Designing a game is hard. A lot of developers admit that some features they put in a game didn't work or were useless because they didn't get enough time to fix them up. Sometimes they can't delay the release even if they know the game still needs some work on it. Bethesda probably does not have the time do get fist fighting to work (its going to be a massive game after all) and/or maybe they know people didn't use it in Oblivion. They are giving us heaps of weapons, spells and shouts to use so I don't think removing fist fighting, which is weaker than the rest, is going to ruin it.
Heaps of weapons? Does this mean they added spears back in?! I really hope so...

Nazgual

Apr 16, 2011
undeadsuitor said:
Nazgual said:
TheDooD said:
They didn't remove fist fighting, just the trainable skill. They even announced that they're going to have bar brawls. Which, I assume, will involve brawling. With your fists. So I'm assuming they're just going to link the punch skill to your strength or agility or something like that.
Really? Well TheDooD, stop your complaining then.

Xannieros

Jul 29, 2008
When I first went into the game, I READ all the class descriptions. Was the game hard to grasp? Not at all. If you play a RPG you should take the initiative and learn. Not have someone guide you. I disapprove many of their decisions.. But I wont judge until the game is released.