Skyrim - Two months later.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
I'm not going to touch it until they make a patch that fixes all the PS3 problems, if that ever happens.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
caladors said:
They capped how you can make things better before you are able to finsh one of the main story elements. Let this sink in for a little please.
They took time to stop you from having more powerful gear because you spent hours trying to make powerful gear, instead of fixing major bugs.
I am not talking about drop one 3 pound quest item, I am talking about not being able to finsh the second most important and for some the most important element of the game. They took time to make sure you can't be over powered but they didn't fix that major bug.

Let me explain something, if you don't want to be over powered or if you not interested in making the stupidly best gear, you don't have to, you won't constantly die if you didn't it's perk not a necessity. If the player did this it's cause the want to. What that update did was stop enjoyment.
What that bug does is stop enjoyment. I don't know why you play games but I going to hazard a guess and say it's for enjoyment!
That is the main problem with games today, and is even worse with Skyrim. They focus on balance, not fun. Skyrim is worse as while it tries to do balance, it fails miserably at it. You are OP from the second you start out to the second you finish even without enchanting glitches. On normal you are given disadvantages of reduced damage compared to what is advertised on the spells, and higher enemy resistances than normal - or something like that. From memory it was 70% of damage advertised is actually dealt. On Normal. It should be 100%, and you make the damn AI better so that it poses a challenge. Add to that that when you fail that badly at balancing a game, you really should try to fix the blatantly cheating balance issues that are purely for fun, you should fix the balance issues that don't involve cheating so that people have enough fun without cheating - and as you said fix the damn main quest bugs. I couldn't get past Esbern on the MAIN quest as he would finish his speech in 1/2 second and not unlock the door. I had to download a mod to fix that. That is just pathetic. The main quest. Bethesda, get yo shit together.

Random Fella

Nov 17, 2010
After a while the entertainment level did decrease, but if I have nothing to do it will entertain me easily.

zenoaugustus

Feb 5, 2009
krazykidd said:
I got it on my birthday ( 6th of december) and stop playing it a month later. I got bored , for some reason i found it lacking . I have about 100 hours in at and near the end i just did the main quest because i was sick of it. A little dissapointing seeing as i played oblivion for about 300 hours ( vanilla). I don't know what about it i didn't like though . I think the world was too big and void of action . I can't say for sure though , everything felt so...so... Superficial . Sure it looked nice , but thats about it . Don't get me wrong it's not a bad game , but there was something about it i found lacking. I actually preferee oblivion for some reason.
I concur. I like Oblivion more except for the combat. Skyrim's melee combat is far superior, in my opinion at least. But yeah, I feel Oblivion has a little more substance to it. Not to dock Skyrim. I've enjoyed the 150 hours I've played.

Nydestroyer

Jun 12, 2011
Still playing still loving did take a small break from it to finish AC:R (btw dont go from skyrim to an asscreed game I got pissed at the different stealth idk why not a good game to game transition for me lol) Sure it lacks some oblivian features I loved but still a great game. Each moment you play it all be it bland in some aspects you get this story to tell to other people who play skyrim XD

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
Yeah, still pretty damned good. I left it for weeks but then got into it again.

I started a new Mage High Elf named Tyberion Golarrus, because I wanted to give the Enchanting=Near Infinite Magika thing a try. I currently have up to 90 in Enchanting and can throw Adept spells (Highest I currently have) around like they're child's play. Once I get the perk that lets me add two enchantments to an item I'll be an unstoppable force of nature.

The Raging Inferno; Tyberion the Master Pyromancer.

Highborn is extremely useful and I have so much cash from making Iron Daggers and then enchanting->selling them that I could pretty much buy anything I want right now.

Think I'll use the Riften house for my weapons and armor, the Arch-Mage's Quarters for my ingredients and Misc items and the mansion in Solitude for living purposes.

And I guess I'll buy the house in Whiterun whenever I get the urge to slum it.

I have not finished Companions questline, have not found all of the Daedra quests yet, haven't even JOINED the Thieve's Guild (Which I hear tell has the best quest line of any) and I haven't finished the Dark Brotherhood.

Hell, I don't even think I've visited every city. I was only ever even in the outskirts of Solitude, though I've seen the mansion online to see if it was worth buying.

xshadowscreamx

Dec 21, 2011
T8B95 said:
synulia said:
Wait, wait, wait. Hold the FUCK UP. After ALL THE HYPE, ALL THE GOTY 2011 declarations, ALL THE MASTERPIECE labels being thrown around, two months later the consensus is that Oblivion was better? After everybody ragged on Oblivion for being so repetitive and generic? People are calling SKYRIM generic? WTF.
The only thing that surprises me is that you are surprised. As much as I love the games, I remain firmly convinced that 90% of the Elder Scrolls fanbase just love to ***** about anything.

OT: Still playing it. When they announce Elder Scrolls VI in five years, I'll still be playing it. I think that it's one of the best games I've ever played.
i fully agree

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
I'm still playing it now.

And I intend to continue playing, at least until New Vegas comes out again but with all the DLC included.

SciMal

Dec 10, 2011
Sarpedon said:
So.

Talk about Skyrim. Anything you want to talk about. Are you still playing it after two months?
No. I still have 100+hrs on it, though, since I was playing it pretty much all-day after shoulder surgery during Winter Break in between my semesters.

Was it everything you'd hoped it would be? More than you'd hoped? Less, even?
The level system was pretty nice, even if it was so exploitable that it made leveling laughable. I don't get why people would actually like MORE skills added... then again, I'm not the group who believes calculating my character's rent and determining my character's knowledge about international politics numerically were ever considered "depth."

The graphics were better than I was expecting, but I'm not really a graphics whore anyways.

The rest was a mixed bag. The voice acting was good in places, laughable in others. The world itself was probably the most impressive thing about the game. Lots of attention to detail, huge area, beautiful vistas in every part - gorgeous. There was loads of well-done atmosphere, areas felt very distinct and everything about the world made me want to explore.

The main plot wasn't half-bad. I didn't get a lot of the references to earlier ES games since I haven't played them. I have a feeling I missed a lot of Oblivion in-jokes. The last hour or two was really quite good - at least in theory. It was ruined by balance issues.

At level 50 with Daedric everything and double-enchanted with-perks weaponry, I was immortal. I beat dragons into pulp in a handful of attacks, and I beat Alduin in under 5 whacks (and this wasn't on easy mode). Very anticlimactic. I didn't even see half of his attacks/abilities because he died so quickly.

The side-quests were mixed. Some were okay, too many were fetch quests or "fight your way here, wait for NPC, fight your way here, wait for NPC, fight your way to the end, wait for NPC" etc. Some were completely skipped over because I had no idea they were available: I complete forgot about what's her name and what's his face in the Blade's recruiting grounds after I fought through the dungeon since it was so out of the way. Didn't even care about them one bit, and by the time I finished talking to Paarthanax about Alduin, had completely forgotten they were involved in the storyline. After finishing off Alduin and getting Paarthanax's goodbye, I went back to look at the wall and they got all uppity about something that happened so relatively long ago I had to laugh; then they asked me to go kill Paarthanax after he said his goodbyes and flew off.

The "romances" were horrid. I wouldn't call them romances. I'd almost put them as a character-creation option since all you had to do was complete a quest and put on an easily-obtainable necklace and suddenly gals/guys around you are interested. "Oh, you're the guy I met yesterday! You found my sword? Thanks! Hey... you sexy thing, want to get married after I ask you your name?" Just horrid.

For a game also espousing its "freedom" pretty heartily, I had to scratch my head a few times. Why couldn't I just outright murder the Thieve's Guild? I agreed with Mjoll that they needed to be cleared, spent time to infiltrate them, and then come to find out they're immortal. For what purpose? Who the heck knows. I never saw them play an integral part in any plot ever outside of their very own, and from that moment on I was stuck as a member of the Thieve's Guild and felt really funky whenever Mjoll or somebody else would talk about them. Everybody moaned about needing to get rid of them, and I felt incredibly robbed that I couldn't.

It was almost the same situation with the College of Winterhold. My character wasn't a Mage. He was a master of the battle-hammer; the only spell he knew used through 99% of the game was the Healing one. Never wanted to be a Mage, never wanted to be a member of Winterhold, yet to finish ANOTHER quest completely unrelated to Magery at all, I had to join and eventually became the Archmage. Yup, an Archmage who couldn't summon a Fireball - that makes sense. Why did they do that? How hard would it have been go to, "Oh, you don't seem like the Magic-wielding type. Thanks for beating shit up for us with a giant hammer, the title is yours if you'd like to learn Magic first." Nope, automatic at the end of the questline.

The bugs and little things really started to get to me. They were never game-breaking or really that severe; but they would pop up and break immersion at all the wrong times. Especially the UI issues... "Oops, I apparently clicked on a conversation option several rows up while my mouse was hovering over another! Time to go through the conversation chain again." Basic stuff like that happened all the time; and when I tried to reduce the occurrence by using the keyboard, they found a way to fuck that up too. It was just clunky.

Oh, and heaven forbid I rebind keys. Yeah, not like I had to SEARCH THE INTERNET to find out where the fucking game rebound the fucking "F" key since I don't use WASD. Fuck that's just lazy programming.

What could Bethesda have done better?
Making characters more memorable, and give some substance to the romances. The civil war could have been fleshed out better, too. I eventually ended up picking a side almost arbitrarily; not because I understood what was going on. Part of that is the understanding that I would have had to slog through a lot of extra in-game reading and talking to flat-voiced characters to find out what was going on, and I wasn't going to do that.

I also question pseudo-question the use of a character creator as detailed as they had when my view was either first-person or third-person from behind. I had forgotten the features of my character until about the 50th hour mark when a wonky camera in a cutscene looked at my character.

They also could have done a much, MUCH better job with a controls tutorial. I didn't know how to move stuff around until I hit level 30 or so. Combined with the keybinding issues I mentioned earlier, I wasn't really "proficient" at the game mechanics until I was almost done.

There could also have been a better way to use all the crafting stuff. By the end I was storing a ridiculous amount of dragon bones and scales. It got the point that I was laughing every time somebody did their smug-ass, "Let's see if you're good enough for the job" type dialogue as I was standing before them draped in Daedric armor and weaponry with a companion who - by that point - must have been using dragon skulls as disposable soup bowls.

I would also have loved a single vendor I could actually sell a week's worth of loot to.

What could they have done away with?
If you're not going to put effort into the romances, don't do them. Support the mod-scene to put them in, but don't claim "You can marry somebody!" when marrying somebody is less difficult than fetching a Jarl's favorite brand of beer. Ugh.

A lot of the annoyances, I wouldn't say they were detrimental enough to be taken out entirely. Maybe the Thieve's Guild being invincible thing; why can't I murder them if they don't do anything?

What kind of things would you like to see in future Skyrim DLC or even future Elder Scrolls titles?
Better writing, tighter scripts, better acting - pretty much what I would like to see from any sequel to an RPG. I'm a big sucker for well-done writing and truly monstrous amounts of dialogue. My favorite RPG of all time is BGII, and until another game immerses me in the plot and characters as much as BGII did, I'm always going to be left wanting.

I doubt I'll play anymore, though. Even with fan mods, I don't really see the point. I completed the main quest, finished my character's story, don't really feel like making a Magic-wielding character since they seem to be favoring "Glass" instead of "Cannon" without a lot more leveling, and I'm not confident the decisions I made would lead to significant differences if chosen differently (i.e. - different side in the war still has you ransacking outposts before taking the center, and nobody in the world really acknowledges what just happened after the fact).

So, yeah. It was fun for the 100 hours I spent in it. It was good entertainment while I was in a sling, but from what I gather it seems it's the only type of game Bethesday knows how to do in the ES universe. Really expansive world, mixed voice acting, similar leveling system, a half-decent main plot, and a lot of really annoying (but not fatal) bugs to go with the really annoying but occasionally interesting sidequests.

Given that pedigree, I guess all I feel I need to play from them is Skyrim and I've "played" every other game they've made. It was good. Now onto waiting for ME3.

Telasro

Apr 29, 2010
1-up said:
Got pissed off getting one-shotted by some Deathlord shout and turned it off.
That's just a knockback, actually. It just looks exactly like the death animation :-/

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
You mean 1 month later. I got it for Christmas. No reason to get it at the release date.

In any case, it's fun. I've got two characters now, an Argonian (my good file), and a Dunmer that looks like Abe Lincoln.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Ah, the hype-backlash has finally begun its full swing. Took it long enough.

OT: Nope, it's still great. If anything, it's gotten better, due to all of the little details.

King of Wei

Jan 13, 2011
Still playing it but taking it really, really slow. Level 60 and still haven't finished the main qust or the civil war.

My only gripe about the game is how short the guild questlines are, especially the thieves guild questline. Other than that though, its an amazing game.

Hal10k

May 23, 2011
T8B95 said:
synulia said:
Wait, wait, wait. Hold the FUCK UP. After ALL THE HYPE, ALL THE GOTY 2011 declarations, ALL THE MASTERPIECE labels being thrown around, two months later the consensus is that Oblivion was better? After everybody ragged on Oblivion for being so repetitive and generic? People are calling SKYRIM generic? WTF.
The only thing that surprises me is that you are surprised. As much as I love the games, I remain firmly convinced that 90% of the Elder Scrolls fanbase just love to ***** about anything.
Get rid of the "Elder Scrolls fanbase" part, and you've got a pretty good summary of human history. What is the U.N. but 90% of the human race coming together as one to ***** about stuff?

Zx30

Oct 4, 2011
I don't see how people are so high leveled in this game. 50? 70?!!? Probably raising the difficulty?
I'm in my high 20's and I've finished the main quest as well as PLENTY of side quests. I don't know what the hell to do anymore. I'm bored.

It's always. "Go get me this! I need more of this! I hate this guy, kill him! I have (Random creature problem) kill it.."

Ugggggggggggggh.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
I totally burnt myself out somewhere in the first week of December.

None of the quests I have are piquing my interest, so I'm just going to wait until Beth makes some DLC.

Sarpedon

Feb 9, 2011
Zx30 said:
I don't see how people are so high leveled in this game. 50? 70?!!? Probably raising the difficulty?
I'm in my high 20's and I've finished the main quest as well as PLENTY of side quests. I don't know what the hell to do anymore. I'm bored.

It's always. "Go get me this! I need more of this! I hate this guy, kill him! I have (Random creature problem) kill it.."

Ugggggggggggggh.
Grind-leveling smithing and non-combat skills is a pretty good way to stack some levels. However, I refer you to this comic. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comics/critical-miss/9245-Skyrim-Tales

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
I actually just picked it up on Saturday.

It's okay, certainly better than the rest of the Elder Scrolls games, in that I didn't just play for 6 hours, get bored and then never pick up up again.

There are some glaring AI bugs and I can already tell that my completionist nature is going to be in constant conflict with my desire to actually Role Play.

I'm an Orcish Warrior. Not much of a talker, "biggest is strongest strongest is best!" likely to solve most problems with an Axe to the face.
Because of that I keep avoiding this whole quest chain where you have to join the thieves guild.
It's driving me nuts because I want to see what's going on in that town but it all seems to revolve around me joining up with the thieves.