Skyrim, where's the fun?

BaronUberstein

Jul 14, 2011
Lucem712 said:
Skyrim is very special, where people can go in 40, or 80 hours and say, 'man that sucked.' when normally a person would sit down with a game for an hour or two and say, 'this sucks'.

I found that more role-playing and giving yourself rules to stand by help, so there's that. Sometimes you have to give a little to have some more fun, as the older generation would say, 'you kids have no imagination'.
I put something like 100 hours in. I kept making new characters and builds, trying to see if anything felt DIFFERENT, because it was fun for awhile and then boring.

I'd pause outside of crypts and said "I really just don't want to fight more zombies. It's just a hassle."

But the real game breaker for me was, I could be the Thane of all the cities, the Archmage of the magical people's place, and yet nobody gave a fuck. My actions had no god damned consequences, the world didn't change for me even though I was putting in lots of damn effort.

That and you can't kill any NPC's except some worthless guys in an inn. If they let me just waltz into the Jarl's castle, why can't I shoot the smug bastard with an arrow from the entrance? LET ME KILL HIM AND DEAL WITH THE CONCEQUENCES. I will fight my way out of the damn city! At least Fallout NV let me kill anyone I wanted.

Soopy

Jul 15, 2011
BaronUberstein said:
Lucem712 said:
Skyrim is very special, where people can go in 40, or 80 hours and say, 'man that sucked.' when normally a person would sit down with a game for an hour or two and say, 'this sucks'.

I found that more role-playing and giving yourself rules to stand by help, so there's that. Sometimes you have to give a little to have some more fun, as the older generation would say, 'you kids have no imagination'.
I put something like 100 hours in. I kept making new characters and builds, trying to see if anything felt DIFFERENT, because it was fun for awhile and then boring.

I'd pause outside of crypts and said "I really just don't want to fight more zombies. It's just a hassle."

But the real game breaker for me was, I could be the Thane of all the cities, the Archmage of the magical people's place, and yet nobody gave a fuck. My actions had no god damned consequences, the world didn't change for me even though I was putting in lots of damn effort.

That and you can't kill any NPC's except some worthless guys in an inn. If they let me just waltz into the Jarl's castle, why can't I shoot the smug bastard with an arrow from the entrance? LET ME KILL HIM AND DEAL WITH THE CONCEQUENCES. I will fight my way out of the damn city! At least Fallout NV let me kill anyone I wanted.
How about the Legates?
The game actively encourages you to clean up the remaining opposition after the Civil war, but then doesn't let you actually do so. THEY'RE ALL IMMORTAL!

WTF is that all about?

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Soopy said:
How about the Legates?
The game actively encourages you to clean up the remaining opposition after the Civil war, but then doesn't let you actually do so. THEY'RE ALL IMMORTAL!

WTF is that all about?
The original version of the Civil War had many more quests such as Battle of Whiterun events for every town, burning down mills, recruiting giants, and killing the leaders of enemy camps.

It was eventually cut sometime during development, mostly because it was just to similar to things that already existed in the game.

Adding more "go here and kill X" quests in a game already filled wit them wasn't considered worth the effort.

furthermore, keeping the enemy camp leaders alive gies Bethesda to opportunity to change the outcome of the civil war to whatever they want in the next game, they could say the faction that "lost" eventually win from attacks from their hidden camps.

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
Bows and Magic are the most fun ways to play the game. Still, that's not saying much. The environments are very same-y and there's never a very good reason or reward to explore most places.

Also, what others have mentioned about your actions not mattering. I remember the elves accusing me of worshipping Talos and calling me Nordic scum. I was a high elf just like them!

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Podunk said:
Also, what others have mentioned about your actions not mattering. I remember the elves accusing me of worshipping Talos and calling me Nordic scum. I was a high elf just like them!
And Dunmer in Morrowind accused your character of being filth even if you were a Dunmer also.

Elven races are known to be just as hostile to outsider Elves as they are to non Elves. Elves are racist, elitist, dicks, its been that way since Morrowind.

Also them calling you a Nord is bug.

BaronUberstein

Jul 14, 2011
Soopy said:
BaronUberstein said:
Lucem712 said:

How about the Legates?

WTF is that all about?
That, and your race didn't matter in the damn game. "They don't let the Kahjit in cities" they say to me as I'm a Kahjit standing in the Jarl's palace.

Soopy

Jul 15, 2011
SajuukKhar said:
Podunk said:
And Dunmer in Morrowind accused your character of being filth even if you were a Dunmer also.

Elven races are known to be just as hostile to outsider Elves as they are to non Elves. Elves are racist, elitist, dicks, its been that way since Morrowind.

Also them calling you a Nord is bug.
The Dunmer being hostile towards the PC Dunmer was explained as the Vvardenfal clans not accepting anyone not born in Vvardenfal. Which the PC was not.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Well, here's a radical idea. Everyone got their own idea of fun, it's a very individual thing. There is nothing in the world that will be fun for everyone forever.

As for me, I'm in it for the dungeoneering. I've probably played for about 100+ hours by now on different characters, but I'm still not bored yet. The thing about Skyrim that I find fun is to explore a dangerous dungeon and steal the historical artefacts for my personal collection, like a furry Indiana Jones. Other people find other things fun. And some might find that Skyrim just isn't fun or interesting after a certain amount of time. Again, it's a very individual thing.

Another fun thing; my character is a Khajiit, not very popular folks up in the fairly xenophobic north... And yet I'm the mythical Dragonborn they've been waiting for. It's great fun, I imagine it's alot like Blazing Saddles.

Again; fun is very individual. And it's not unlikely that Skyrim just isn't fun for you anymore. It doesn't make you worse, nor does it make the people who does get fun out of it worse.

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
Muspelheim said:
Another fun thing; my character is a Khajiit, not very popular folks up in the fairly xenophobic north... And yet I'm the mythical Dragonborn they've been waiting for. It's great fun, I imagine it's alot like Blazing Saddles.
I will never play The Elder Scrolls the same way again lol.

The fun in this game comes from many sources for me. Right now it's coming from sneaking up on my enemies, making them attack each other and run away in fear, raising their dead corpses to fight for me, and finally stealing their souls with a burst of thunder and lightning to power my weapons and bind them to my equipment.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Exploration was like the entire thing for me, which left me unfortunately prone to glitches. I was waiting for patches each and every time they were needed. In the end I came across one they had no intention of patching, so that was it. But just roaming around, letting things happen of their own accord, is really satisfying, and that's what Skyrim does well.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Rooster Cogburn said:
I will never play The Elder Scrolls the same way again lol.

The Stormcloak had made themselves at home in the ruins of Fort Baxter. Their banners flapped in the wind, and their heartfelt folksongs filled the air. Getting in to steal their war funds weren't going to be easy...

Two figures was hidden behind a rock by the gate, an Imperial agent and his Khajiit comrade. They kept an eye on the two guards outside the entrance, trying to make up a plan.

A few moments later, the agent stepped out from the hiding place, calling the two guards.

"Hey, boys!"
They turned to face him.
"Look what I've got here!"
He dived in behind the rock, and pulled out the Khajiit by the neck.
"Hey, were da Nord women at?!", the Khajiit hissed.

The Stormcloaks ran at them, and they ran after the two intruders behind the rock. A few thuds could be heard, and a moment later, two Stormcloaks emerged from the hiding place, one suddenly sporting a tail.
"Let's get that gold!"

Rooster Cogburn said:
The fun in this game comes from many sources for me. Right now it's coming from sneaking up on my enemies, making them attack each other and run away in fear, raising their dead corpses to fight for me, and finally stealing their souls with a burst of thunder and lightning to power my weapons and bind them to my equipment.
Yeah, rerolling and trying new styles (or combining them willy-nilly to see what works) is a fun way to find a new groove. Trying out new things is always fun. Although I'm the worst Warlock in the world, I can't help feeling guilty about the soulgem-things... It's someone's soul, after all. Mudcrabs and spiders are fair game, however. :3

Kurenaino

Oct 29, 2010
I can see your points. Combat isn't the best. By a long shot. I think Fallout and Oblivion actually fall into this as well. Let's face it, Bethesda isn't exactly a powerhouse of combat. But they don't really need to be. What Bethesda does, they do well, and they do environment and atmosphere better than pretty much anyone. Skyrim and Oblivion and Fallout for me isn't about the story, it's about exploration, and that's why I love them.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
SajuukKhar said:
furthermore, keeping the enemy camp leaders alive gies Bethesda to opportunity to change the outcome of the civil war to whatever they want in the next game, they could say the faction that "lost" eventually win from attacks from their hidden camps.
I figured the outcome would be that neither and both won. Doesn't the events of Skyrim end with a dragon break? I kind of figured it did.

Mindlessidiots

Apr 15, 2009
Obviously everyone has a opinion of what they consider fun, I personally enjoyed Skyrim more then Oblivion, due to it being better looking, more streamlined, and way more engrossing. Oblivion did have a better variety of interesting quests like the beginning Dark Brotherhood and mage guild quests, but honestly I think most are forgetting that the majority of quests involved going some where and killing something, and I'm sure that when oblivion came out someone was complaining that Oblivion lacked the variety of Morrowind, and before that some one complained that Morrowind had less variety then Daggerfall, etc etc. What I'm getting at is that I think people are being nostalgic about past games and only remembering the good quests and not the "go to X and kill something" that is the bread and butter of every rpg known to man.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
FelixG said:
You dont have to, but you are a nameless, voiceless protagonist, its only a bad game if you go into it expecting something else, it is fine for what it is.

It is up to you what your characters motivations are, why you are doing what you are doing, not every game needs to hold your hand and tell you why you are doing what you are doing, thats fine for the majority of games, but not every game has to follow that model.
Except the parts in every story mission where they railroad you into choosing idiotic dialogue options that probably don't fit the character you have. Like c'mon, Dragon Age: Origins came out in what? 2007? And let me guide my character more accurately. If you're going to make me do it, don't shoehorn in stupid dialogue options.

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
I personally found the combat much improved from Oblivion personally.

Honestly though, this is a game that you have to put a little work into to really love. You might call it a flaw but I like the choices it presents. I've made probably about 4-5 characters, and each one is unique.

My first char was a nord ranger, two weapon fighting, bows and stealth. I decided that the reason she was captured at the start was just wrong place wrong time while out hunting. After being almost executed like that she became a nord nationalist trying to force to imperials out and killing thalmor wherever she found them.

So while the game never explains it or forces it, I went ahead and made my char have it's own backstory and personality. If you are not into roleplaying your characters at least a little bit, you might not have a good time.

I also find it ironic that a lot of the people complaining how "easy and dumbed down" the system is in Skyrim, are the same people that need to be spoon-fed char development.

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
Frostbite3789 said:
FelixG said:
You dont have to, but you are a nameless, voiceless protagonist, its only a bad game if you go into it expecting something else, it is fine for what it is.

It is up to you what your characters motivations are, why you are doing what you are doing, not every game needs to hold your hand and tell you why you are doing what you are doing, thats fine for the majority of games, but not every game has to follow that model.
Except the parts in every story mission where they railroad you into choosing idiotic dialogue options that probably don't fit the character you have. Like c'mon, Dragon Age: Origins came out in what? 2007? And let me guide my character more accurately. If you're going to make me do it, don't shoehorn in stupid dialogue options.
By "let me guide my character", you mean "guide my character for me" which is what Dragon Age did. Generally the dialogue options in Skyrim are brief and do little or nothing to define the player character's personality, which is the way to go in this type of game. It used to be you didn't have any dialogue at all, you just picked what you wanted NPCs to talk about from a list of subjects. Leave Dragon Age in Dragon Age is all I'm saying. I really don't want to pick up The Elder Scrolls VI and find I have to choose a character that has been written for me by Bethesdoware.