Skyrim Will Use Steamworks

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
buy teh haloz said:
Sooooo..... Any bone to throw at us console plebs? Anything, Bethesda? *whimpers and starts bawling*
?

I'm sure if you ask Bethesda will confirm that Steam isn't needed for the XBox 360 or PS3 versions. ;)

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
Grandpappyduplenty said:
The_ModeRazor said:
Das good.
But. Eine kleiner problemist zat peoplez vill inevitably ***** und moanlike ze littl bitchz zey arr.

And buying it on a console... dear unholy god, WHATTHE FUCK IS WRONG WITH DAS PERSON. It's a Bethesda game. Moddability is half the point. Consoles have none of that.
Actually the PS3 and 360 will be compatible with mods, you just load them up from your computer via USB stick, and shove that into your console. I think this may be the first time I've ever seen this, but I could be wrong. Either way, this makes me very happy, as there's only my PS3 in the house that will run it, and I love a good mod.
...seriously? Wow, that's actually a pretty fucking great approach from Bethesda :D
(assuming it is indeed true) Glad to see they are so supportive of the modding community. (if it is true) (which it might sadly not be, but we'll see)

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
Uber Waddles said:
Well, thats great. There are plenty of games my computer can handle decently. None of them include Steam Works.

While a lot of people have high-end computers, I like to game on my laptop, which wasn't designed for for the sole purpose of gaming. It has its ups and its downs, but I was really looking forward to running Skyrim on it.

Assuming it was like your average, run of the mill release, I'd be able to run it on medium graphics settings. Unfortunately, the "minimum" specs almost NEVER include what it takes to run Steam Works. And while many can simply shrug off the effects of Steam Works, my computer can't. I can run games without it perfectly, and cannot run games with it at all (seriously. Its pathetic when you can new releases, but can't even boot up Left 4 Dead without it chugging to 4 frames per second).

Looks like Im either going to have to skip this game, or buy it and wait for a cracked version, without Steam Works, to hit the internet (sadly, I had to do this with the original Portal). Which is a fucking shame.

Seriously. DRM, way to ruin another game. I do not condone piracy- but its getting to the point where I can't run games that I bought with my hard earned money unless I find a copy thats been stripped of everything thats bogging the game down. I actually buy the games, just because I like to see the developers get money for their hard work. Ive even bought copys of games to offset the other friends in similar situations. But its getting to the point that Im just raging.

In this day and age, most DRM, INCLUDING STEAM WORKS, is cracked. Often within the first few days. This is NO WHERE near enough incentive to include it into your game. When its getting to the point where customers who dont have high end machines HAVE to turn to piracy just to strip everything thats bogging the game down out of the game, its telling you that you need a change in policy. Like I said, I have intergrity - I will pay for a game, even if I have to turn around and use a pirated copy to run it. I am one of the few. Just words tothink about.
I totally understand anyone not liking Steam for whatever reason or if they don't want to use it (even for no reason in particular), but your situation is far from normal. That doesn't mean it doesn't suck, but unless something's really screwed up on your computer or you've discovered a really strange bug that only shows up under unusual circumstances, Steam itself uses almost zero CPU time and generally well under 100MB of RAM, even less if you don't use the browser and disable the in-game overlay and stuff like that.

If your computer and Internet connection are on the slow side, it can take it a minute for games to actually start up as it verifies/authenticates things and checks for updates, but that shouldn't affect anything once you're actually in the game, because it doesn't actually do anything after that point. If you're playing a single player game, you can skip all of that by running Steam in offline mode, which speeds that part up significantly.

And actually, as far as things that might have an affect while you're playing a game, have you tried disabling the in-game overlay? There's a setting in the Steam preferences to turn all that stuff off globally for every game. It usually works fine for most people, but it's sometimes buggy with some games or has had conflicts with certain versions of video card drivers over the years or other programs that use their own overlays like X-Fire. I had to turn it off on my laptop, just because my laptop's so slow to start out with, but I otherwise don't notice a difference between Steam and non-Steam games.

If you've already tried all those kinds of things and it still doesn't work, I guess you're the "lucky" winner of something really weird going on.

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
Thank goodness. NOW LET ME FUCKING PRE-ORDER IT IN THE UK ON STEAM

I apologise for swearing. I'm just really angry that in the UK you cannot pre-order Skyrim over Steam. It's ok. I orded it off Amazon because I heard rumours that GAME are shit has threw a hissy fit over Bethesda selling games through Steam.

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
scw55 said:
Thank goodness. NOW LET ME FUCKING PRE-ORDER IT IN THE UK ON STEAM

I apologise for swearing. I'm just really angry that in the UK you cannot pre-order Skyrim over Steam. It's ok. I orded it off Amazon because I heard rumours that GAME are shit has threw a hissy fit over Bethesda selling games through Steam.
Really? Works fine over here in Sweden so one would think it would work just as well over in UK.

Omnific One

Apr 3, 2010
Still so much better than GFWL like Fallout 3.

We knew it would have to have better DRM than Oblivion, which had pretty much nothing.

Also, if you get slowdowns from Steamworks, just disable the overlay, which takes a lot of the pressure off your PC.

pspman45

Sep 1, 2010
Alphakirby said:
pspman45 said:
Bethesda just keeps making good decisions!
If they're full of good decisions,then maybe they can buckle down and face Notch like a man would...in Quake 3: Arena.
If they say yes, then I hope the whole thing will be live streamed!
that would be awesome

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Uber Waddles said:
Assuming it was like your average, run of the mill release, I'd be able to run it on medium graphics settings. Unfortunately, the "minimum" specs almost NEVER include what it takes to run Steam Works. And while many can simply shrug off the effects of Steam Works, my computer can't. I can run games without it perfectly, and cannot run games with it at all (seriously. Its pathetic when you can new releases, but can't even boot up Left 4 Dead without it chugging to 4 frames per second).
Really?

When Steam is idle, it takes up, like, 20 megs of RAM.
When I'm running a game, without the Steam community overlay enabled, it takes up the same.

20 megs.

I've never had an issue with speed and Steam, and I'm running a Pentium 4, single core for Pete's sake!
Even my netbook doesn't suffer with Steam. And it's a netbook.

I'd try turning off the Steam Community overlay. That can make a bit of a difference.

More on Topic: If I had a gaming rig to play this, this would be awesome news.
I don't, however (As I mention: Pentium 4), so I'll be snagging this on my 360.
But still: I do love me some Steam.

Balobo

Nov 30, 2009
Lotet said:
Signa said:
bah, this might seem cool, but compared to both Morrowind and Oblivion, this is a huge step backwards. Both those games let me use CD-less options instead of installing securom or some other shit. By making it Steam only, they are screwing over a lot of people who don't want to have anything to do with Steam.

Personally, I'm OK with it because I like having Steam track my progress and launch my games, but I know there are going to be people out there pissed by this.
like myself.

to me, this is just another reason to get it on a Console. but I'm still not sure.

Oblivion and Morrowind didn't even need CD keys.
Why does a program bother you so much?

irrelevantnugget

Mar 25, 2008
Have a hunch this is mainly done for DLC purposes. People seem to have less trouble with DLC being offered on Steam (with the occasional discounts on top of that). Guess the Fallout 3 and NV sales in the past few months seemed effective enough. Phew.

Buccura

Aug 13, 2009
Yay now I can know exactly how many hours of my life I have wasted in this game! I can't even imagine how many I've pumped into Oblivion O_O

Th37thTrump3t

Nov 12, 2009
Signa said:
Personally, I'm OK with it because I like having Steam track my progress and launch my games, but I know there are going to be people out there pissed by this.
You're always, ALWAYS, going to have people pissed at something about any game. Usually, depending if the game is actually good, these people make up a small percentage of the market and most end up buying the game anyways. Just remember, haters gonna hate, bitches gonna *****.

pelao_larc

Nov 17, 2009
I am not a Steam user, so if anyone can explain to me what this steamworks is all about? For what I can asume by reading the comments, is some kind of DRM. So how is this any different from Origin (the reason I will not buy BF3 on PC)? If it is the same thing then is a shame. because I was planning on getting this on PC, because I lost my faith on good Bethesda ports for consoles. Looks like I will simply wont buy it. Its a single player game, the launch date is close to summer vacations in my country, I want to be able to play a game anywhere if the places I go don't have an acceptable connection or a connection at all.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
That is a massive load off. I heard this would use GFWL, which would have killed any desire I had for it.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Signa said:
bah, this might seem cool, but compared to both Morrowind and Oblivion, this is a huge step backwards. Both those games let me use CD-less options instead of installing securom or some other shit. By making it Steam only, they are screwing over a lot of people who don't want to have anything to do with Steam.

Note: My post has nothing to do with piracy. I just liked being able to rip my games to an .iso format and use a drive emulation program to keep things simple. Oblivion was one of the last games that let me do that without having to go online for a CD hack. One more reason why I've become such a Steam convert is because I don't need to deal with the disks at all.
Really? Oblivion lets you do that?

Was that in a patch or something?

Llil

Jul 24, 2008
Balobo said:
Why does a program bother you so much?
I'd assume it's because Steam is a completely unnecessary extra program, that does nothing useful and uses up resources. I know it has all these neat functions like chat and no disc required in the drive to play, but what if you don't want to use them? Then it does absolutely shit.

I'll take a "cd-key + disc in the drive" type copy protection over Steam any day.