Skyward Sword

jackpackage200

Jul 4, 2011
I think yahtzee and i are the only people who hated this game. The game was boring and not fun at all.

EDIT: What sucks is that my friends have been giving me shit for not liking it

sleepyperson

Oct 2, 2009
You covered everything to cover. I am a fan of Zelda but I do have to agree with you on this one.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Skyward Sword

Prove me wrong, fans.

Read Full Article
Agreed.
jackpackage200 said:
I think yahtzee and i are the only people who hated this game. The game was boring and not fun at all.

EDIT: What sucks is that my friends have been giving me shit for not liking it
Also agreed.
sleepyperson said:
You covered everything to cover. I am a fan of Zelda but I do have to agree with you on this one.
Agreed again.

Hm...Seems like I agree.

chaosyoshimage

Apr 1, 2011
I watched the video before I throughly played the game (I've still only put like 10 hours into it), at first I was like, "Oh, Yahtzee's exaggerating again...right?" Now, this Zelda fan is disappointed again, I too am a huge fan of Wind Waker (That's my favorite one), Twilight Princess was a disappointment but I still liked it. Personally, I thought motion controls COULD work, I've been an adamant defender of them, Skyward Sword was suppose to be the game that proved it. It did not.

There are things I like about the game, but there's a lot I don't like about it either. I don't think it's "shit", but it should be way better than this. I shouldn't have to play Wii Bowling every time I want to use a bloody bomb. Why does there have to be something fatally wrong with every Zelda (IMO) after Wind Waker? Especially, Spirit Tracks, there was so much good in that one, but the train portions murdered it.

This incoherent mess of a post with was brought to you by one of the legions of Zelda fans that's fed up with this. That said, the new Mario which I just started playing is really good and that's coming from someone who was disappointed with the Galaxy games.

METC

Mar 21, 2009
While I respect Yahtzee's opinion on the matter (I have been seeing his arguments quite a lot), I still insist that Skyward Sword is one of the best Zelda games I've played. Granted, I'm yet to finish Link's Awakening, and I thought Ocarina of Time just wasn't very good. Very rarely as I played Skyward Sword did I break immersion, and I feel that this was due to the controls. I never had any issues with control, and they were certainly the best I've ever seen in a game. The game was easy on the eyes, and the characters were memorable and charming.

For me, 3D Zelda games rank with a tie between Skyward Sword and Wind Waker, then Majora's Mask, then Twilight Princess, then Ocarina of Time.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Oh golly, Yahtzee complaining about motion controls. Again.

BUT, I really hated Fi in this one. I don't want to change my goddamn batteries, for fuck's sake!. And yes, I know how to drink a freaking potion half-way through the game, thank you.

I almost miss Navi. Almost.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
I haven't played the game yet, but my friend said it wasn't a whole lot of fun because most enemies focus on blocking instead of trying to kill you, trying to shove your face in the fancy 1:1 sword controls

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
And yet most other reviewers consider this to be the best 3D Zelda game. Maybe they have some different ideas of "fun".

While reading the part about fetch quests, I immediately thought of the Ocarina of Time ice dungeon, but trips to get blue fire are nothing compared to forced strolls through the forest.

Here's another downfall of Skyward Sword, judging by how you said that there are only 3 main areas (forest/water, desert, and volcano): it's not enough world variety. Twilight Princess, for example, had a twilight-based dungeon and the Temple of Time dungeon, not to mention the huge Field with canyons, cliffs, and caves.

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
For the most part I do like this game, but holy crap do I hate Fi. Yahtzee hit the nail on the head on that one. And I'm surprised that with all the (much deserved) gushing over Wind Waker, he never mentioned that it had a non-annoying companion character, a rarity for the series.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Well, if you do another top 5 and bottom 5, I think I know what'll get B1. Or else, if you're going back to awards...So, anyway, which is it?

Fernadette

Gnome Enthusiast
Feb 9, 2011
I feel the same about Fi. I've been trying to muster the strength to play it again. I put it down after a frustrating two hours of being stopped so Fi could tell me what I already knew. I want to play it and like it, I just don't know if I can. Games such as Skyrim with their lack of hand-holding spoiled me.

Edited for grammarand typos.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
On the motion controls thing: just him complaining.

On the comparisons to the other games: fair enough, a very subjective matter, but fair enough.

On the padding examples: Agreed wholeheartedly, especially on the examples give. The entire "Song of the Hero" part of the game can go fuck itself.

However, in the "defend that" claim, I'll just simply use the cover-all excuse that Skyrim fanboys use "Well I have a lot of fun with the rest of the game!" Yes, it's overgeneralizing, but the puzzles were great, the combat was fun, and the characters and story were interesting. Yes, there were some pointless fetch quests, but the rest of the game was fun. And that's why I enjoyed it. And with the exception of the complaining about the controls (when you compare damn near every other reviewer in the industry and video evidence against a person who has gone out of their way to express his hatred of motion controls who seems more reliable?) there were good points, like the padding around the end of the game and Fi being ungodly annoying.

Sean951

Mar 30, 2011
Fi could get annoying since I typically either had a near dead Wii-mote or low health, but she also reminded me of a character I enjoyed from a show I watched. Then again, I never thought Navi was actually that annoying.

But really, complaining about fetch quests in a RPG? Zelda no less? I can't think of a single game that didn't have fetch quests. Getting to them was even easier than most, since all you need is a bird statue.

cthulhumythos

Aug 28, 2009
i went into this preparing to be annoyed (i don't know why i click on things that i think would gain my ire) but i ended up agreeing for the most part. except on twilight princess ( tied with skyward sword for weakest zelda titles i've played)

one of my main complaints is that about 80% of this game is just busywork. wanna go to the water dungeon? go backtrack to the first dungeon and get some water at the end. there was simply way too much retracing. also the lack of ganon. i was really hoping he was behind it all, because at this point i laugh whenevver that happens. also fi was horrendously bland and verbose. also how many times must she say my hearts are low? i mean they're freaking beeping, why do i need more annoying reminders?

interestingly, my favorite zelda games (up to this point) have been the ones to break away from the formula like wind waker and majora's mask. speaking of which, is Majora's Mask coming to the 3ds? i'd be curious to see a zp of it, as it is one of the stranger titles in the series. as in, it has way more atmosphere* than the other ones. or not, because there are hells of the other titles out there to review, and there's been like, what, 4 zelda reviews already?

anyhoo, this article was pretty much my thoughts on the game. also i appreciate you yahtzee. well, as long as you review games i don't feel were all that great.

* italicized for overused buzz word.

aashell13

Jan 31, 2011
Hagiography.
Congratulations, Mr. Croshaw, you've sent me running to the google dictionary. It's been a long time since somebody on the internet managed that.

BlueRising

Jun 8, 2011
I think part of the reason why the "samey" argument comes up with Skyward Sword is because the Zelda series was somewhat overexposed this year; aside from all the other 25th anniversary stuff Nintendo did there were 6(!) additional Zelda games to play (although 3 of them were only for 3DS ambassadors).

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
He's right. The whole fetch quest to get access to the first flame had me thinking wtf. It was the fact that i went through hell to find the key in that first dungeon and because of that hell i expected to get that flame on a silver platter and not another dungeon behind the waterfall. The boss fight made up for the hell but the fetch quest were a pain sometimes. I think that was a joke about fetching the giant fruit for the thunder dragon when link mysteriously pulled a giant fruit out his back trouser pocket. that was hilarious. But over all i had fun. the game was challenging enough and i had a great time playing it.