Skywind, the Morrowind-in-Skyrim Mod, Gets Impressive Dev Video

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Skywind, the Morrowind-in-Skyrim Mod, Gets Impressive Dev Video

[youtube=uJwpaVwOaHM
[B]The incredibly ambitious Skywind team now stands at over 70 members, including 30 dedicated voice actors.[/B]

Move over Skywind [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125961-Skyrim-Mod-Falskaar-Adds-20-Hours-of-Gameplay] team is also vying for the title of "Most Ambitious Skyrim Mod". An official developer video for the mod, which aims to port the entirety of 2002's Morrowind into 2011's Skyrim, has surfaced, showing us that the game has become much more ambitious in recent months. The video reveals that while the project started with just 8 members in 2012, the team has now grown to over 70 members, including 30 dedicated voice actors.

"Unlike Morroblivion, it's predecessor, the team did not want to just directly port the game into the updated engine," says the video, explaining that the team wanted to create something that could be embraced by both Bethesda, and the Elder Scrolls community.

It explains that Morrowind, by today's gaming standards, is pretty lackluster. It's environments are very barren and plain, so a direct port would not be particularly impressive. So, the team has worked tirelessly to re-create all of the old game's locations using assets and techniques from modern game design.

Custom creature, environment, and weapon and armor models help the mod stand out from vanilla Skyrim, and the mod will be, of course, fully-voiced acted.

If you'd like to know more about the mod, or, you'd like to lend your skills, be sure to check out the official forum [http://morroblivion.com/forums/skyrim]. There's no official release date for the mod yet, but when it is, it will be a free download, although it requires a copy of the original Morrowind to play.

Source: YouTube [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJwpaVwOaHM&feature=youtube_gdata_player]

DalekJaas

Dec 3, 2008
I will even pay to play this mod, this looks fantastic and it is exactly what I need to finish my Skyrim play through. I'm still spewin' we didn't get a last piece of DLC that took us to Dragonstar, but this will do in its place.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
Amazing. Cannot wait to play it, wouldn't even have minded it if it was without the voiceacting. I mean, this is the kind of stuff I would have given money to see, and we're getting it for free ;_;.

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
I've always wanted to be a voice actor, might throw my hat into the ring, also is this a kickstarter thing? if so where can I donate? to play this for free would be robbery plain and simple

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
This is coming along nicely. I really hope they take the time to also perhaps bring back some of the mechanics of Morrowind and replace the god awful ones of Skyrim.

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
You see, in days where the triple A publishers are trying to squeeze all life out of the medium in order to strip everything down to that perfect winning formula, it?s stuff like this right here that continues to keep me optimistic about video games. Gah just look at what the little guy is pulling off these days without the big publishers behind them.
Damn it this is amazing
One day I am really going to have to throw a couple hundred bucks at the grinder to build a gaming PC...and you know actually find someone who can make it because I am not that technologically inclined.

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
It is indeed not fully finished but can already be tried regardless. I have no idea how good it is at present though, because you also need both expansions to morrowind. I never got those.

But hey, this is a game from 2002 we're talking about here right? I'm sure you can get both for like, 5 bucks. So let me just pop onto steam and... Wait, what??? 20 freaking bucks??? Games from 2012 were cheaper than that in the last steam sale! And I don't even need the base game, it's sitting right there in my games cupboard. (In a position of honor ofcourse, so as to let it judge over all lesser games.) But buying the expansions individually on amazon is somehow more expensive?!

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
I could live without full voice acting, but whatever. If they want to pull it off (and can), more power to them I guess.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Just what I wanted. Morrowind with Skyrim's gameplay and graphics. What's not to love? I'm so excited. I can't wait.

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
Nice job, but it'll never be finished.

Bethesda has strict rules regarding modding, among them it bans porting assets from other games and Skywind has been doing pretty much just that for the past year or so.
A project like Falskaar or Beyond Skyrim they don't have an issue with because those projects are done either with Skyrim's assets or they create their own.
At this point Skywind is not a mod, it is a fanmade port and I don't know if Bethesda approves of it.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
I think Bethesda should get behind these modders and give them resources and co release it if possible - if need be. I would pay full price for this game day one. I love Morrowind, its a million times better than both Oblivion and Skyrim - and im talking about playing vanilla morrowind. :)

Come on Bethesda, gives these guys a helping hand and get the best rpg ever made released.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Hero in a half shell said:
Akisa said:
Will there be Cliff Racers? ^^
There will be all the cliff racers you could ever want, and then some!
I had thought I could have finally hung up my Daedric bow "Featherless". I had thought my campaign against those horrid screamers was at an end and I could enjoy peace and solitude. Now I learn that my work has only begun. Come here Cliff Racers, come here and say hello to my little friend.

O.T, I am so looking forward to this. I hope they include the expansion packs.