Sleeping patterns.

Dahni

Lemon Meringue Tie
Aug 18, 2009
Two quick questions!

1. What's your sleeping pattern like? Does it change across holidays, weekends, etc?

2. Any advice to give me? I'm trying to get myself a normal sleeping pattern but im struggling to get to sleep earlier than 3am, and it is not helping my school work, social life, work, anything. How can I help myself sleep at midnight-ish without getting all drugged up?

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
1. Wake up to pee. Cat wakes up. Cat doesn't let me go back to sleep.

2. Try alarm clocks. And turkey.

Dahni

Lemon Meringue Tie
Aug 18, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:

1. cats are REALLY bad for that...

2. How would alarm clocks help me get to sleep earlier? I always need to wake up at 7am during the week & about 9am on the weekends, so the times I'm waking up don't change much at all.

delet

Nov 2, 2008
Read this wiki page on DSPS [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_sleep_phase_syndrome]. Because of a thread Julian made a while ago, I now know that I've got that.

On a school day, I'll suffer through a good few hours trying to get to sleep through my insane thoughts, which range from going through every moment of the day to horrendous acts of brutality on random people (Like cutting a persons' head in half... seriously fucked up.)

On the weekends or holidays though, I stay up late into the morning (generally till around 6 in the morning) and sleep as long as I need (generally till about 2 or 3pm.) I'm a child of the night...

To you, I suggest running into a wall. Run into it very, very hard. Should work out.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
1. Ya, it's pretty much 10:00 PM-5:30 AM for me on weekdays. On Holidays though it is screwed up. We're talking nights where I don't go to sleep until 4:00 in the morning.

2. The best advice I can give you is to turn off all distractions. I find it a lot harder to sleep when I know I can find something to do like going on the computer or playing a video game.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
Well I'm guessing I'll start going to sleep earlier next term as I'm sharing a room with somebody and he gets up early and I stay up late. So either we both get no sleep or I'll probably be going to bed earlier. tbh, I would be in bed now but I'm working... I like to leave work til the last minute.

advice-wise, don't have tea or coffee or caffeinated drinks after 8pm. Also, there's plenty of breathing exercises. Try breathing slowly in through your nose and out through your mouth. Also tense all your muscles then slowly work your way up you body from your toes, relaxing them.

one note... apparently sleeping more than 7 hours a day makes you significantly more likely to die in the next 10-12 years, regardless of age... apparently... could be bollocks though...

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
1. I tend to sleep soundly from 10pm to 7am.

2. Try daydreaming, it tends to work for me. Maybe try some warm milk.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Dahni said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

1. cats are REALLY bad for that...

2. How would alarm clocks help me get to sleep earlier? I always need to wake up at 7am during the week & about 9am on the weekends, so the times I'm waking up don't change much at all.
2. Turkey helps you sleep. Alarm clock help you wake up earlier, so you don't sleep as late as usual.

BlindMessiah94

The 94th Blind Messiah
Nov 12, 2009
I'm an insomniac so you don't want advice from me. I sleep 4 hours max. Interrupted at best.

Shockolate

Feb 27, 2010
Awake for 16 hours.

Sleep for 12 hours.

As you can probably tell, that doesn't equal 24.

Pariah87

Jul 9, 2009
Due to my changing shift patterns I change every week as far as sleep goes. This week I'm on lates, so on a day where I didn't have to walk to work I'd stay awake untill 5 am, then go to sleep untill around Noon, then wake up.

When I start the morning shift, usually I have gone out on the Saturday and haven't got in untill 4-5 am and if all has gone well I'm blind drunk, so I'll sleep untill around 4pm, then wake up and stay awake untill 3pm the next day after work. Then pass out till around Midnight and wake up then, have a few hours on the Xbox or whatever.

Recently though, given that I don't really have anyone to talk to during the night anymore, I've been going to bed around 9pm on Mornings waking up at 4:30 and 2am on Lates, waking up around 9-10ish.

Hell, I've even been waking up before Midday on Saturdays recently, that hasn't happened for years.

Chaos Bringer

Jul 1, 2009
1. I have insomnia

2. Try backing up the times you go to bed at. Do a little bit each day. Also try going for a run sometimes. It relieves stress levels and that's what could be causing your inability to sleep.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
1. I don;t have a sleep pattern. Take this week for example. Monday 11pm, Tuesday didn't sleep 'til 10am Wednesday, Wednesday 3am, Thursday still awake as I'm posting this at 1.45am Friday morning.

2. I cannot help you here much. My own sleep pattern depends on what sort of sleep I got before hand.
Maybe try some relaxing music to help you drift off.

tetron

Dec 9, 2009
My sleeping pattern is pretty hectic. I vary between sleeping in the day and sleeping at night, getting better about not sleeping during the day though. I see sleeping as something that I'm required to do which automatically makes me less inclined to do it. I'll stay up to 2-3am with the mindset of "I gotta be at work at 8am and I'm gonna be there for at least 8 1/2hours I'm gonna get as much free time in as I can." I guess my advice would be to just see if you can get used to it and make it work for you like I do. Exercise and eating a good breakfast, preferably with orange juice since it's like a slow acting long term coffee, will really help.

DragonsAteMyMarbles

You matter in this world. Smile!
Feb 22, 2009
1. Regularity in my sleep pattern is a thing of the past. I try to be up for classes and such, but apart from that your guess is as good as mine.

2. Any non-caffeinated hot drink works for me. Alcohol does too, but it's difficult to judge when I'll pass the "tired" phase and end up more energetic than before - plus you don't really want to rely on something like booze.

Insanum

The Basement Caretaker.
May 26, 2009
Dahni said:
Two quick questions!

1. What's your sleeping pattern like? Does it change across holidays, weekends, etc?

2. Any advice to give me? I'm trying to get myself a normal sleeping pattern but im struggling to get to sleep earlier than 3am, and it is not helping my school work, social life, work, anything. How can I help myself sleep at midnight-ish without getting all drugged up?
Well Mcmuffin, You know as well as I do that i work nights, So my sleeping pattern doesnt exist.

The best thing i do is plan ahead. If i know i have to be awake on..Wednesday morning - all day, Ill plan my sleep patterns at least 3/4 days ahead. It usually involved me doing 21 hour days followed by 12 hours sleep, But it works for me.

And i never have trouble sleeping, Its just self disclipline that you need.

You also need a hug.
/hug.

mexicola

Feb 10, 2010
1. Changes wildly depending on the times I feel like going to bed.

2. Try not going to bed one night, then staying awake through whole of the next day (best done on weekend so you don't fall asleep during a class/on work) and then go to sleep at some normal time. Yeah that should set you straight... or not. :p Give it a go.