Slowing down - Why we don't post like we used to...

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
KissingSunlight said:
Actually, I like the post-Gamergate Escapist. Let's be honest about the people who gotten banned and/or moved on. They were people you couldn't have an honest or rational conversation with. Lately, most of the conversations I had been engaged with here have been better. Less keyboard warriors looking to harass you and trying to get you banned. If you disagree with them.
I have to agree there. Opinions don't bother me that much, but if people refuse to have a proper discussion about it they can go home as far as I'm concerned. I've always liked the Escapist's relative lack of trolling compared to many other places on the internet.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Happyninja42 said:
FalloutJack said:
Happyninja42 said:
FalloutJack said:
Whacha' talking about, stranger? I've always been here.
So you are Kosh?

No, I'm not really going to explain.

*Heads off to be cryptic and mysterious elsewhere*
You know I really hate it when you do that!! *calling to Kosh's retreating back*

Could not resist, but still...we have our laughs here still, I say.

Wintermute_v1legacy

Mar 16, 2012
The older I get, I find myself having less and less free time, maybe it's the same for a bunch of other people. Either way, I never posted much. Most of my post count is from Forum Games when I'm bored. This place does feel empty, though. Guess coming here is a habit now.

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
1. GG did a real number on this site. I tend to hang around in R&P more these days because I'm bored with Off Topics...um, topics. It didn't help when they made R&P the GG dumping ground which drove away numerous good (if snarky) loyal Escapists

2. Lack of fresh content is a real killer, as well. I haven't watched ZP in nearly two years and was reduced to reading the comics alone for a while. Looking at the site's financial side I can see how the new owners can keep it up after cutting dozens of peoples' jobs but now the Staff is practically so non-existent that they aren't even updating the basics: For an example we used to have (and need) 14 active Moderators. Now we've only 11 on the list and one of the listed Mods is Lilani who quit that job half a year ago.

I sometimes wonder if they're only keeping the site up until Yahtzee's contract runs out. :(

3. Aging and moving on does it for most folks over the years. I've been more of a lurker for the last year, myself: THERE ISN'T ANY NEW CONTENT TO DISCUSS!!! [small]Sorry about that.[/small] When I joined 4 years ago people were having much the same discussion that we are having now when it comes to their friends who'd been around since they themselves joined no longer showing up leaving them feeling alone and left out.

I know the feeling. I used to hang out in the IL and Brovengers a lot. Now the IL is a wasteland and the Brovengers were properly smitten and destroyed by us! HA-HA-HA-HA-HA!!!! no longer exists.

PsychicTaco115 said:
Because I'm an emotionally dead husk of a human

or something like that
S'up?[footnote]You were always that. Don't ever change![/footnote]

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Parasondox said:
Looking at the first page of this thread, you see why. The stubbornness, anger, the nothingness. Just not worth it. I use to post loads but majority of them turned into a fight about... well, thats the problem. One comment turns into a nasty back and forth. Even, an innocent thread about something nice turns to anger. Honestly, people have so much pent up anger and frustration that they take it out on faceless users online and its disgusting. Mention a certain buzzword and BOOM!! Abandon thread.
Pretty much took the words right out of my mouth. There's so much needless passive aggression and outright hostility on this forum over the silliest things. I've had instances where after posting something and seeing that I have a notification I just automatically start mentally bracing myself to deal with venom being thrown my way.

I live in the real world and I don't have time to waste on getting into internet fights with strangers. Maybe highschool me had the patience for that but I just don't anymore. I'm surprised when I can have a decent conversation with people on this forum and that's just not a good thing.

It really is a shame too. I would really love for the Escapist to rally because other than PCgamer I don't have many sites I go to for industry news and PCG doesn't cover movies, comics, and other things I like.

Steppin Razor

Dec 15, 2009
Home and work got in the way mostly and then whenever I found time to load the site up and have a look around I would discover basically no content worth my time and a forum bereft of interesting people and views.

Level 7 Dragon

Typo Kign
Mar 29, 2011
Saelune said:
Elvis Starburst said:
Metalix Knightmare said:
Saelune said:
I recommend taking it to PM you two, this is 100% off the topic of the thread and shouldn't be filling it up
I know. Sorry though, Just too stubborn sometimes.
Maybe move the topic into R&P?

Racism is a terrible social ill, though violence is not a way one can effectively get rid of it. You may get people to stop talking for a decade or two, but once you get usurped from power, everything will go back to as it was before. If what, such an action would give martyrdom to the ideas you are combating. Plus, plenty of free speech absolutists would take a stand against you actions. What would you do to them? What do you do the famillies of the people take out? What do you do to the people that accuse you of the things you are fighting against?

I live in Russia and most of the prosecution of the LGTB community doesn't come from the state, but the church. The reason for it is because they can play the victim card earned during decades of riligious prosecution each time they need a law passed. Violence doesn't stop ideas, it legitimises them.

You can do many things with a bayonette, except sit on it.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Level 7 Dragon said:
Saelune said:
Elvis Starburst said:
Metalix Knightmare said:
Saelune said:
I recommend taking it to PM you two, this is 100% off the topic of the thread and shouldn't be filling it up
I know. Sorry though, Just too stubborn sometimes.
Maybe move the topic into R&P?

Racism is a terrible social ill, though violence is not a way one can effectively get rid of it. You may get people to stop talking for a decade or two, but once you get usurped from power, everything will go back to as it was before. If what, such an action would give martyrdom to the ideas you are combating. Plus, plenty of free speech absolutists would take a stand against you actions. What would you do to them? What do you do the famillies of the people take out? What do you do to the people that accuse you of the things you are fighting against?

I live in Russia and most of the prosecution of the LGTB community doesn't come from the state, but the church. The reason for it is because they can play the victim card earned during decades of riligious prosecution each time they need a law passed. Violence doesn't stop ideas, it legitimises them.

You can do many things with a bayonette, except sit on it.
I would have brought it to the topic that it spilled out from, but that got locked down. And Id answer all your questions but then we'd be back to derailing this topic, wouldnt we?

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Eh, a lot of people have just run out of fucks to give.

GG sucked out a lot of the fun of this forum, then for a while it was just angry people being angry. A load of people left because that was boring.

Not to mention, I think the forums have been in a bit of a rut for a good while.
The topics just tend to be similar: 'Women: how do they work?', 'Oh look it's Paragon again posting about boobs', 'Random anime thread', 'Say something stupid about trans people', 'Latest controversy: feminists are coming to steal your video games/comics/balls/soul' and of course, whirlpool threads.

But hey, I am getting older and grumpier, maybe better things are coming. It's nice to hope.

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
The anger and negativity. I actually left and came back with different accounts a few times. Started off just about when the Escapist was hailed as "the last bastion of intelligence" sometime in the mid to late 2000s.

The site's quality of discussion has severely devolved since then. Way too much anger over the smallest of things. I wasn't too worried about this stuff back then; just thought it was the internet being the internet. But yeah, that rage has persisted over the past decade and it's now showing up in real life. Perfectly explains the current political climate as well.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
I got moderated for something trivial. Just because someone I was sparring with felt like crying to mommy to get me punished, I got moderated for saying something you could literally say on the Disney Channel. It was completely unjustified and was just so stupidly idiotic that someone actually took their time to punish me for it. I just quit caring and started spending more time on other forums.

If you can't handle someone with a different view than yours, you probably shouldn't be on the internet. If the environment allows crybabies to complain to mods over something akin to a leaf falling on your head, then it's not a place I care to spend much of my time.

I agree that moderation is required for an environment like this, but stark black and white rules are bad rules. Case by case, intent, and severity is much more important.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Eh, people just got all whiney and bitchy about stupid bullshit.

For a while, it was fun to trigger people and have them write paragraphs at you, but, eventually it gets kinda old.

Even in this thread, we have people who are still cut up about Gamergate and shit that happened like two years ago at this stage.

Personally, I decided I needed a bit more mature company than people who hold grudges for a disagreement in opinion that happened two years ago. So, I frequent other forums these days.

Level 7 Dragon

Typo Kign
Mar 29, 2011
Phasmal said:

GG sucked out a lot of the fun of this forum, then for a while it was just angry people being angry. A load of people left because that was boring.

Not to mention, I think the forums have been in a bit of a rut for a good while.
The topics just tend to be similar: 'Women: how do they work?', 'Oh look it's Paragon again posting about boobs', 'Random anime thread', 'Say something stupid about trans people', 'Latest controversy: feminists are coming to steal your video games/comics/balls/soul' and of course, whirlpool threads.

But hey, I am getting older and grumpier, maybe better things are coming. It's nice to hope.
I'm trying to mix up the subforums a bit with the old timey weird question threads such as:

"Who would win in a fight: Power Rangers or all of David Bowie's incarnations?"
"You are now stuck in the body of your spirit animal, what do you tell to your parents?"
"If you could wear any fictional hat, which?"
"Which house of Hogwards had the best liquid soap?"
"If aliens offered you to become the opposite sex for 10 million dollars, would you accept?"
"Who would make the more controversial post, Ini-Kun or Paragon Fury?"
"If you could make any world leader the God Emperor of the Imperium, which?"
"You are now in the body of the last game character you played as, how does that impact your life?"
"If you could spend the rest of your life in any fictional world, which?"
"You are stuck in the middle of taiga. Naked. What do you do now?"
"You wake up one morning as a cockroach and get chastised by your familly. How do you explain yourself?"
"You wake up one morning as the president of the United States, what do you do now?"
"You try to wake up one morning, but realise that you died and went to hell. How would you describe the scenery?"
"If you could team up with any videogame character to start a private firm, which and in what would you specialize?"
"You are now an absolute monarch, how did you usurp the throne from the poster above you and what reforms do you pass before you eventual coup detat?"
"You wake up as King Henry VIII surrounded by your wives and the Pope of Rome knocking on the door. How do you explain yourself?"
"If you leaped into the body of Leon Trozky ten minutes before his assassination, what would your course of action be? If you survived, how do you get your revenge on Stalin?"
"If you made love to an opposite sex clone of youself, would that be incest?"

You can put that into a corpus and create a Level 7 thread generator.

sniddy_v1legacy

Jul 10, 2010
Content left forum become so pro gamergate SJW that I hated it and is still recovering so I've mostly stayed away - if it lost zero, I think I'd leave for good

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Gamergate destroyed the gaming community all over the internet. This site was one of the victims.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Phasmal said:

Hey.

My boob threads have always been a pillar of this community.