'Slut' Parade

Feb 13, 2008
sethzard said:
They should be able to choose how they dress without the worry of being raped.
To be brutally honest, I don't think rapists choose their victims based entirely on their clothes, do you?

They prey on the vulnerable members of society.

We should be able to do a great many things in this life, but a lot of them are controlled because there are some members of society that delight in destroying those.

Could you imagine a counter-claim put across by naturists who wish to wear nothing and still be able to have "normal lives"?

Far as I know, the law already has. It's yet to tell women that they are unable to rape, as rape is defined as
(1) A person (A) commits an offence if?

(a) he intentionally penetrates the vagina, anus or mouth of another person (B) with his penis,

(b) B does not consent to the penetration, and

(c) A does not reasonably believe that B consents.
There's a hell of a lot worse that can be achieved in sexual assault.

Break

And you are?
Sep 10, 2007
I wonder how long I'll be able to pay attention to coverage and commentary of this movement before it dregs up so much latent victim-blaming and rape apologism that I literally vomit with anger .

Of course, some people will undoubtedly start drawing assumptions and running their mouths based on headlines and the phrase "slut pride" without ever realising that there's an actual issue that this group is railing against. Which will be plenty of fun to wade through, I'm sure.

Edit: Fuck. Fuck fuck fuck. Bunch of comments slipped by before I even had the chance to hit "post". Hah. Great. Better get started, I guess.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
sethzard said:
Baby Tea said:
Isn't the point of protests idealism?
No.
Well, not if I'm protesting, least-ways.
If you're protesting strictly for idealism then you're wasting your time.

A few people walking along a street isn't going to change thousands of years of human nature. Rape is one of humanity's oldest crimes to itself, and it isn't going away because a few proud-to-be-scantily-clad women walk together and hold signs.

You don't have to convince me that rape is horrific, and should be stopped.
Marches by women holding 'proud slut' signs aren't the solution. At all.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
TB_Infidel said:
dogstile said:
Being mugged is not the same as being raped. People should be able to go out looking attractive and not have to worry about being raped, its something I can at the very least agree with.

Or are we saying its wrong to look good?
Ah, but you do not have to dress like a slut to look good, like you can walk around with expensive stuff without having to show it off in plain view.
You don't, but then again, isn't looks subjective?

I mean, I know people who can actually make the whole tracksuit look good. That costs about a tener.

Clearly, people enjoy looking good their way, and the police officers comments were stupid.

dagens24

Mar 20, 2004
Oh my god, the ignorance of this thread is heart breaking. First and foremost there is absolutely never any justification for rape; women should be free to where whatever they want without fear of being raped. Second, who cares if a woman is a slut, or proud to be a slut? If I want to go out and have sex with as many people as I can because it feels good and makes me feel good and I'm doing it in a safe way that doesn't hurt anyone then all the power to me. There is nothing wrong with sex, and there's nothing wrong with doing it for whatever your own personal reason for doing it is. Live your life however you want to live it as long as you're not hurting anyone else.

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
Baby Tea said:
sethzard said:
I think you've totally missed the point of the article, I support them on this. They should be able to choose how they dress without the worry of being raped.
Looks like they've missed the point too.
There was a thread on a similar topic recently, so I'll just re-post what I put there for my thoughts on the topic:
A guy is walking through a rough neighbourhood waving a wad of cash around, and he gets mugged.
Now, obviously the one who mugged the guy is in the wrong 100%. That was illegal, and he should be punished.
And the guy should have the right to wave around money as much as he wants without fear of being attacked and robbed. But it's a naive and dangerous game to play. Ideally, I should be able to leave my doors unlocked, my keys in my car, and my money on my counter. But it's asking for trouble if I do any of those things.
Again, not my fault if someone robs me. I have the right to leave my door unlocked, my money out, and my keys in my car. But, at the risk of sounding redundant, it's dangerously naive to do any of those things.
Couple of problems here, number one everybody seems to assume that women are raped more frequently when they wear "sluttier clothes". No one I have seen has backed this up with statistical evidence. In fact, I'd say this assumption betrays the idea that the rapist is somehow understandable in his actions. I mean look at her! Shaking her ass, wearing revealing clothes, how can these men control themselves?!

Again, I'd love to see some statistical evidence here.

Secondly, where do we draw the line? What's "too" enticing? What advice can we give to these woman on what they should wear? A fucking burka? Is anything less than a burka possibly enticing sexual assault?

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Wait a sec... a police officer essentially says that women who don't want to be raped shouldn't dress provocatively, some women fire back with the point that they should be free to dress however they please within the confines of the law... and people who aren't Amish actually take the police officer's side?
So sad...

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
JoJoDeathunter said:
TB_Infidel said:
Does anyone else find this type of behavior ridiculous and shows how warped/hedonistic parts of Western society is becoming?
Nope, I don't see why it should be socially acceptable for men to sleep around, yet if a women does they're a "slut" or a "slag".
I don't find it acceptable for either men or women to sleep around, but whatever.

It might have to do with the fact that men can 'Shag and run' with minimal consequences, but women could potentially become pregnant? Or something. Honestly, I have no idea.

Rape is about the control...wearing provocative clothing doesn't really attract rapists any more than a suit would, I would guess. Well, I suppose that skirts provide greater 'accessibility' than pants, but...

dstryfe

Mar 27, 2009
JoJoDeathunter said:
Nope, I don't see why it should be socially acceptable for men to sleep around, yet if a women does they're a "slut" or a "slag".
If one key opens many locks, it's a master key, but if one lock is opened by many keys, it's a shitty lock.

How women got to be the lock in the abovementioned statement is probably only superficial, and thus meaningless, but I figured it was worth having said at least once. I really don't care what (or who) people do in their spare time. It's *theirs*.

Retardinator

Nov 2, 2009
Are you fucking kidding me? People seem to be proud of anything these days. They just waltz down to the street with signs and banners and exclaim it everywhere.

There's only one problem... I don't give a shit. I'm proud of a lot of things, but you don't see me advertising it on the main square like it's of any goddamn significance.

Kenami

Nov 3, 2010
...I honestly don't think after this anyone can ask me why I hate the human race.

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
sethzard said:
I think you've totally missed the point of the article, I support them on this. They should be able to choose how they dress without the worry of being raped.
I agree mainly because I feel that rape should be something non-existent.

binvjoh

Sep 27, 2010
You completely missed the point. The parade was to support rape victims and tear down the whole "she dressed like a slut, she was asking for it" stance.

"Just because I look hungry doesn't mean I want random people shoving sausages down my throat".

loc978 said:
Wait a sec... a police officer essentially says that women who don't want to be raped shouldn't dress provocatively, some women fire back with the point that they should be free to dress however they please within the confines of the law... and people who aren't Amish actually take the police officer's side?
So sad...
Well most of the people in this thread seemingly didn't even read the article.

Retardinator said:
There's only one problem... I don't give a shit.
If you don't give a shit, then why is it a problem?

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
Right then, time to stop using the word "slut" then. Guess it's "whore" from now on.

Kidding aside, I really don't see what this is supposed to accomplish. Maybe I'm just not getting it, but from where I sit, they are the ones not getting it. There's a difference between "sexy" and being "slutty". If these people want to be "sexy", fine, but if you've crossed into "slut" territory, YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!

I realize that's a hard line to clarify, and I wholly admit I'm not the one to do it, but I know that "slut" is NOT a term to be proud of!

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
Patterns of Behavior in Adolescent Rape_ by Vinogradov et al. in the
American Journal of Orthopsychiatry 58(2) April 1988 pp 179-87:

71% of the rapists were under the influence of drugs (inc. alcohol).
15% reported taking drugs less than 15 minutes prior to the rape.
21% premeditated the rape.
27% committed the rape while committing another crime.
16% were impulsive/spontaneous, "the victim was simply an easy
available 'innocent bystander'".
7% were committed after an argument with the victim.
6% after sexual foreplay with the victim.

89% of the rapists described the victims as not being provocative,
"The victims did not verbally provoke nor were sexually
attractive to the attacker".
Even an overwhelmingly large portion of rapists don't believe the crap about provocative dress causing rape. You'd think people would listen to the actual rapists rather than "conventional wisdom".

General population: dumber than rapists.

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
Retardinator said:
Are you fucking kidding me? People seem to be proud of anything these days. They just waltz down to the street with signs and banners and exclaim it everywhere.

There's only one problem... I don't give a shit. I'm proud of a lot of things, but you don't see me advertising it on the main square like it's of any goddamn significance.
Maybe if people started telling you to be shamed by these aspects of yourself for no good reason you'd be more apt to express your pride of who you are in public.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Girls should be able to dress sexy without fear of rape... that said, they should still fear being hit on by everything with a purple helmet warrior.

I don't really think "slut" needs a redefinition. Are they trying to make "slut" mean "hot chick" or "sexily dressed woman" as opposed to "woman who fucks anyone"? What's the point in that, I wonder? Why not just say sexy?

Eh, whatever. I don't really care but I definitely think rapists need to always face hard consequences (although that can bring up a whole other issue of girls being inebriated and having sex then claiming rape)

Jonathan Bradford

May 9, 2011
I really consider this to be a topic where apathy is a god-send.

The protesters have some points, the officer was far out of line and at the very least should be reprimanded/sued, and there is no justification for rape.

I doubt the word will be reclaimed anytime soon.

dagens24

Mar 20, 2004
Retardinator said:

But what is inherently wrong about advertising something that you are proud of? You make the act sound as if it's a negative thing.