'Slut' Parade

plank_man180

Jan 14, 2011
Tits or GTFO.

...Joke! I think it's ridiculous in my opinion. Why boast that you're a slut? What a terrible role model for a naive younger generation. I think it's true that no one has any self respect any more.

Jimbo1212

Aug 13, 2009
dogstile said:
You don't, but then again, isn't looks subjective?

I mean, I know people who can actually make the whole tracksuit look good. That costs about a tener.

Clearly, people enjoy looking good their way, and the police officers comments were stupid.
Actually looks are not subjective - go check out google scholar if you don't believe me. Regardless, they are still reckless in their actions and are trying to blame anyone but themselves for when it goes wrong.

Why was the officers comment stupid?

Imperator_DK said:
...so we don't like women who embrace their sexuality and are generally up for some naughty fun?

Must have missed that memo.

Also, I really like the "blame the victim"-mentality and puritanical condemnation of the sexual liberation in western societies (as opposed to any admirable ethical purity in all the discriminatory second and third world dictatorships???) going on in the OP.
When did being a slut = embracing being a woman? Being a slut is not healthy and is not something someone should aspire to be.
As for 'blaming the victim' , where is that happening? The officer simply gave advice on how to avoid the problem yet women have come out screaming in fear that advice is the same as remving their right.....

Retardinator

Nov 2, 2009
AgentNein said:
To answer your question if I honestly felt that me getting shit about being a gamer (which oddly enough I've never really gotten shit about) was as big of an issues as institutionalized sexism then yes, I'd wear my pride on my sleeve and throw up a sign somewhere with other people.
Good point. Now allow me to contemplate for a while if I'd do the same.
(Gosh, I hate when I turn out like a single-minded ass...)

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Be "sluts"... why should I care unless I'm sleeping with you?

bahumat42 said:
Yeah but whats said sexy clothing for?
to arouse and to increase male interest. The other side of that is that its going to interest the less than savoury types out there. By all means dress how you want, but it's risk versus reward, its the same reason i dress in very cheap clothes most of the time, nobodys going to mug somebody who hasn't got any money.

In a perfect world they could all wear what they want, but this isn't a perfect world, there are bastards out there, and behaving/dressing certain ways effects how they are likely to perceive you.
Rape is about control, it doesn't matter if the victim is wearing a mini-skirt or a Victorian dress. Most crime is about control, really. Control of people, money, power, etc.

It's not someone like me or you just walking around and going "I want some sex, now", it's more complex than that... even if the person themself doesn't realise that.

DevilWithaHalo

Mar 22, 2011
Alright, so can I start treating every woman that dresses like a slut as a slut? Their protest seem to support the cause. I mean, wouldn't it be reasonable for me to assume a woman who is dressed like a whore would accept my offer of sex for money? In the same vain that if I were a dressed as a cop, you'd reasonably assume me to be an officer of the law right? (Thank you Dave Shapel)

Here's an idea, if you don't want every dude hitting on you because you're holding up a sign that says "proud slut", I suggest you rethink your strategy to protest rape. Because neither issue will be resolved by your attempts at sexual empowerment via protest. You'll still get treated like a slut and rapists don't give a damn.

And before you jump on the reply button, I don't condone it but have nothing but my own personal experiences to bias my opinions on this.

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
Retardinator said:
AgentNein said:
To answer your question if I honestly felt that me getting shit about being a gamer (which oddly enough I've never really gotten shit about) was as big of an issues as institutionalized sexism then yes, I'd wear my pride on my sleeve and throw up a sign somewhere with other people.
Good point. Now allow me to contemplate for a while if I'd do the same.
(Gosh, I hate when I turn out like a single-minded ass...)
For what it's worth I don't think you came off as an ass. There are some definite asses in this thread, you not being one of them.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
TB_Infidel said:
So these women are proud of being sluts, think that there is nothing wrong with acting in that way, and rather then listening to advice on how to avoid rape, they want to protest?
The point is that they should be able to dress how they want without fear of being raped, not that they're sluts. That's why one sign says "sluts say yes" and the other has "slut" in quotations.

And even if this was about them rejoicing in being slutty, who are you to say otherwise? Its their body, they can do whatever the fuck they want with it.

guntotingtomcat

Jun 29, 2010
lisadagz said:
Much as I think the Slutwalk premise is a fairly noble one...
Holding up a sign saying "Sluts say yes" doesn't seem to fit in with the "Just because I dress like a / am a slut doesn't mean I can't say no" point of these marches.

Just an unfortunate lack of sensibleness in that particular placard maker's logic, I think.

But, yeah, the most disgusting part of the whole "women shouldn't dress provocatively" thing is that the victims do sometimes get made to feel that it was their fault in some way. Some victims report being asked by the police things like what they were wearing and even what underwear they had on at the time of the incident and such information can sway the jury into deciding whether it was rape or if she was asking for it. There's an interesting (and upsetting) chapter on it in a book called Appearance and Power.

TB_Infidel said:
Would you feel sorry for someone who got mugged when they were walking down a rough neighborhood with cash strapped all over them?
So then why feel sorry for a girl who goes out wearing close to nothing and will be around drunken guys?
A person leaving their wallet exposed may be taking a risk, but only because there are a**holes out there who would take it. It's not that person's fault that someone was mean enough to take it and I'd feel sorry for them. And certainly the thief ought to be arrested.
But a wallet is a bit different than a body. That theft victim's had an inconvenience, the rape victim's had a horrifying experience, they've been attacked and violated and it will affect them deeply, psychologically for a long time.
Telling the theft victim they're partially to blame for losing some money might be annoying for them, telling the rape victim they're partially to blame for losing their dignity, security and rights over their own body is far, far more horrible.
Exactly this. If Jews are being murdered in your country, you don't tell them that they're being too Jewish. That's not the problem you have.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
brainless_fps_player said:
Guy sleeps around = stud, considered normal, even praiseworthy

Girl sleeps around = OMFG SLUT BURN FOR IT!

Seems unfair.
Besides, the only person to blame in a case of rape is the fucking rapist.
It's unfair only because both sides (males & females) commit to it.

A guy who sleeps around is generally sought after by women, not because he sleeps around, but because the kind of guy who is able to even sleep around at all is the kind of guy who attracts enough women to sleep around with. A lot of guys wish they could sleep around as much as a stud does, so when they see his strange ability they admire him.

Phoenixlight

Aug 24, 2008
sethzard said:
I think you've totally missed the point of the article, I support them on this. They should be able to choose how they dress without the worry of being raped.
This x100.

AlexNora

Mar 7, 2011
woman can already wear whatever they want

I'd recommend self defense to help prevent rape or carrier a gun/taser

Nibblitman

Dec 30, 2010
I must say that despite rape being 100% wrong, women dressing like "sluts" and walking around alone are kind of putting themselves in a very bad position.

The officer in question is 100% right that it would help a women to not get raped if she dressed in a way that was not sexy. The problem is that people are taking him to mean if women dress this way there would be no rape. Now I think that he is saying something akin to, despite the fact that in theory I could leave my car unlocked and the keys in there I really shouldn't do that cause I make it very likely that my car will be stolen.

Women should in theory be able to dress any way they want to and be perfectly safe, but to assume that is true is to deny reality and live in a world of idealism. Maybe some day that will be true but for the moment reality is there are people out there that will rape so is it not smart to take measures to reduce this chance. The same way I reduce the chance of my car being stolen by locking it and taking the keys.

I am in no way saying that it is a womens fault for being raped because she dresses provocatively, but I am saying that dressing un-provocatively could potentially reduce the chance of being raped.

Jimbo1212

Aug 13, 2009
lisadagz said:
TB_Infidel said:
Would you feel sorry for someone who got mugged when they were walking down a rough neighborhood with cash strapped all over them?
So then why feel sorry for a girl who goes out wearing close to nothing and will be around drunken guys?
A person leaving their wallet exposed may be taking a risk, but only because there are a**holes out there who would take it. It's not that person's fault that someone was mean enough to take it and I'd feel sorry for them. And certainly the thief ought to be arrested.
But a wallet is a bit different than a body. That theft victim's had an inconvenience, the rape victim's had a horrifying experience, they've been attacked and violated and it will affect them deeply, psychologically for a long time.
Telling the theft victim they're partially to blame for losing some money might be annoying for them, telling the rape victim they're partially to blame for losing their dignity, security and rights over their own body is far, far more horrible.
But the principle is the same. Why was someone taking the risk in being mugged by walking with their wallet exposed? The same goes for sluts. Why are you dressed like that and taking an unnecessary risk? Yes, rape is worse, so surely that means women should grasp onto any advice given to them on how to avoid it rather then act like spoilt kids and do the opposite.

brainless_fps_player said:
Exactly this. If Jews are being murdered in your country, you don't tell them that they're being too Jewish. That's not the problem you have.
But that is not their choice is it? Being a slut is a choice, and a one that is already seen as bad before you bring the rape issue into it.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
AgentNein said:
This is the main problem I'm having. A LOT of people are making big assumptions without having the numbers.

I mean, you seem like an intelligent person. How many times have we seen "common sense" shown to be fallacious once statistical evidence has been brought to light?
I agree.
I'll be the first to say I don't have the numbers, and anyone who says definitively that 'dressing slutty makes you a bigger target' is talking out their ass. As far as I've actually heard on the subject, many rapes are based on asserting power, not sexual gratification.

This is why I'm certainly not backing anyone who makes grand claims about how women should dress moderately to protect themselves. That's ridiculous. But I will stress caution to any woman to always consider dress among other factors when going out. While, as I said, I don't have any numbers in front of me, the only one who posted numbers as a counter point had numbers from 1980-something. Not even taking into consideration that many rapes aren't reported.

So I fully agree: Wild claims about a women's choice of clothes and rape, based on zero statistical evidence, is quite silly.
But until I see some more relevant statistics that show such a position is either non-existent, or exceedingly rare, then I would absolutely advise the exercise of caution in choice of dress, location, company, and other such factors when going out.

Jonathan Bradford

May 9, 2011
There are far to many issues being pushed together under the protest for this to work, depending on how you read the article/feel about the subject their intent can be rather broad. Since that is the case the boldness of the statements on their signs might work for the individual protester but grate with the protest's point as a whole.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
I prefer a slut to an idiotic prude who thinks there is something ridiculously deep about shoving your cock in something.

In fairness I think they aren't so much as saying they are sluts as campaigning for equal gender views so she is allowed to sleep with as many guys as she wants without being looked down on for it.

Also blaming women for being raped because they dress provocatively is like blaming the diamonds for getting stolen. Let's remember who's committing the crime here...

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
Well, that was a shitty an unfounded piece of advice (better advice, for both men and women, in avoiding crime would include "don't get too drunk, especially with strangers or in unfamiliar places" and "don't dress or act in ways that stand out when in potentially dangerous neighborhoods"), but this is also a poorly thought out parade in protest of it. The way I can tell it's poorly thought out is that I would have absolutely no idea what it was protesting (or rather a very inaccurate idea) if I had just seen the parade and was not already aware of the incident of which it is attempting to raise awareness. Wouldn't it be better to carry signs more explicitly related to the incident in question so that people who were unaware of the problem could learn about it by seeing the marchers and the cause could gather support? Honestly, poor planning all around in my book. I mean, the cop is obviously both wrong and an asshole, but the marchers' poor planning is also an insult to the grand tradition of organized protests.

Oh, and it's really impossible to "reclaim" the word slut, as "reclaim" implies a previous, positive meaning and ownership to which it is to be returned. This is not something that exists. This would more properly be a case of "claim" or "take" rather than "reclaim" or "take back". Sometimes I wonder if protesters have all failed English class, given the number of groups which make this mistake (of course, the reality is that this is the same technique used to make the crusades sound just).

Also:
"It has a good chance of being reclaimed by the 'right' people," says Dent. "But it will remain offensive if it is used by someone not in that group, by those outside the 'in crowd'."

Really? So it's going to be okay for her and her hipster friends, but it's going to be hate speech coming from any one else? I'm not so sure I like this approach to language.

Finally, I'd just like to say that, while I don;t know how it is where all of you live, around here I hear the term "slut" used pretty frequently of both genders (although often prefixed by "man-" in the case of a male subject), and almost always in a joking tone. I really have to wonder if this "slut"/"player" dynamic I see cited so often in these cases is actually as ubiquitous as it is made out to be. Either way, putting an end to that trend will require a much more fundamental re-examination of the way we deal with relationships (even most self-described feminists still subscribe to many longstanding and unequal cultural institutions when courting which are the root of this double-standard-which-is-actually-a-different-double-standard-in-disguise).