'Slut' Parade

Jimbo1212

Aug 13, 2009
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-13333013

So these women are proud of being sluts, think that there is nothing wrong with acting in that way, and rather then listening to advice on how to avoid rape, they want to protest?

Does anyone else find this type of behavior ridiculous and shows how warped/hedonistic parts of Western society is becoming?

Cheesus333

Aug 20, 2008
"Sluts say Yes"?

Yep, that's pretty much the exact prerequisite for being a slut. The ability to say 'yes'.

I don't really like sluts. I don't know why. Good for them if they're proud of it, though.

Sethzard

Megalomaniac
Dec 22, 2007
Country
United Kingdom
I think you've totally missed the point of the article, I support them on this. They should be able to choose how they dress without the worry of being raped.

nukethetuna

Nov 8, 2010
Well, they can't get raped if they don't say no, I guess? If everyone was a slut, there'd be no more rape... they're brilliant! (Completely. Kidding. I mean, about most of it.)

Of course they have a point that they should be able to dress how they like.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Well if they feel there is nothing wrong with being treated as nothing more than a tool, than fine, whatever. Like I give a shit.

Edit: Ok, now that I've actually taken a gander at the article itself, scratch what I said before. Sure they can wear what they want. I'm not sure they're going about this the right way though. I don't see how taking back the word 'slut' is going to help anything. Then again, to me being a 'slut' is more about a manner of behavior than it is a manor of dress.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Or... you know, we could promote sensible clothing, so the temptation isnt more there (I know, rape is about power and that stuff).

Or, you know, take some pride in your clothing. I mean, hell, if you're going to wear clothes that dont leave much to the imagination you may as well remove the middle man and walka round naked.

... but I get waht htey're saying, and I'm not pro rape, so I guess I agree, with the principle that men should be tuaght not to rape. With the stipulation that women shouldnt but themselves in a situation that makes it more likely or easier.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
If you read the article, it's really about women marching because of a police officer's comments that women should stop dressing like "sluts" to avoid getting raped.

Calling yourself a "slut" and marching around acting like a slut doesn't help anyone, especially the people marching.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
TB_Infidel said:
Does anyone else find this type of behavior ridiculous and shows how warped/hedonistic parts of Western society is becoming?
Nope, I don't see why it should be socially acceptable for men to sleep around, yet if a women does they're a "slut" or a "slag".

Vault boy Eddie

Feb 18, 2009
Fagotto said:
Rather than listening to advice that probably won't come in useful since most rapists know their victims and would restrict their lives they instead choose to have a parade. If those were my options I'd have a parade too.

That parade seems like it'd be a good place to find a one night stand though ;D
And maybe even something itchy on your genitals :-S

Jimbo1212

Aug 13, 2009
sethzard said:
I think you've totally missed the point of the article, I support them on this. They should be able to choose how they dress without the worry of being raped.
But that is a silly idealistic notion to have in this world.
Sure, they should be able to wear what they want, but people will target them for rape, just like how you should be able to walk anywhere with your phone and wallet out in your hand,but you don't because someone will steal it.

Or to put it another way:
Would you feel sorry for someone who got mugged when they were walking down a rough neighborhood with cash strapped all over them?
So then why feel sorry for a girl who goes out wearing close to nothing and will be around drunken guys?

JoJoDeathunter said:
TB_Infidel said:
Nope, I don't see why it should be socially acceptable for men to sleep around, yet if a women does they're a "slut" or a "slag".
Um, did you read the article? It is about rape, not sleeping around......

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
sethzard said:
Looks like they've missed the point too.
There was a thread on a similar topic recently, so I'll just re-post what I put there for my thoughts on the topic:
A guy is walking through a rough neighbourhood waving a wad of cash around, and he gets mugged.
Now, obviously the one who mugged the guy is in the wrong 100%. That was illegal, and he should be punished.
And the guy should have the right to wave around money as much as he wants without fear of being attacked and robbed. But it's a naive and dangerous game to play. Ideally, I should be able to leave my doors unlocked, my keys in my car, and my money on my counter. But it's asking for trouble if I do any of those things.

Again, not my fault if someone robs me. I have the right to leave my door unlocked, my money out, and my keys in my car. But, at the risk of sounding redundant, it's dangerously naive to do any of those things.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Edit: nevermind, quoted the wrong person, dammit

Anyway, I agree with them on this. Telling someone to look horrible to avoid getting raped is just going to piss people off. People like looking good. Let them look good.

I am fully in support of "sluts". Girls who like sex are like guys who like sex and as long as their safe, I don't really have anything against them.

Kpt._Rob

Travelling Mushishi
Apr 22, 2009
TB_Infidel said:
and rather then listening to advice on how to avoid rape, they want to protest?
The piece of "advice" you refer to, against which they are protesting, is a police officer telling them that "if they don't want to get raped, they shouldn't dress like sluts." That, incidentally, is not advice, it's sexism at its worst. It's blaming the victim. Honestly, it's not all that far from the passage in the bible where it says that if a woman gets raped in the city and doesn't scream loud enough she should be put to death because she should have screamed louder. It's the worst kind of patriarchal bullshit, and it's the kind of attitude that people do need to stand up against.

I don't know that attempting to "reclaim the word slut" is the right way to go about it, but nonetheless, it's important that people stand up and point out that saying things like that isn't going to be tolerated in a civilized society.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Baby Tea said:
sethzard said:
Looks like they've missed the point too.
There was a thread on a similar topic recently, so I'll just re-post what I put there for my thoughts on the topic:
A guy is walking through a rough neighbourhood waving a wad of cash around, and he gets mugged.
Now, obviously the one who mugged the guy is in the wrong 100%. That was illegal, and he should be punished.
And the guy should have the right to wave around money as much as he wants without fear of being attacked and robbed. But it's a naive and dangerous game to play. Ideally, I should be able to leave my doors unlocked, my keys in my car, and my money on my counter. But it's asking for trouble if I do any of those things.

Again, not my fault if someone robs me. I have the right to leave my door unlocked, my money out, and my keys in my car. But, at the risk of sounding redundant, it's dangerously naive to do any of those things.
First, congratulations on your 6000th post.

Second, thank you for pointing out this misnomer. It can be said that a woman who dresses provocatively put herself into the situation to be sexually assaulted, however that doesn't make the assault any less wrong.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
JoJoDeathunter said:
TB_Infidel said:
It's not really socially acceptable for a man to sleep around, but the men that DO sleep around are generally the ones sought after by females. Since most men WANT to be sought after by females, the ones that are actually able to be "man sluts" are highly esteemed by other males.

Jimbo1212

Aug 13, 2009
dogstile said:
Being mugged is not the same as being raped. People should be able to go out looking attractive and not have to worry about being raped, its something I can at the very least agree with.

Or are we saying its wrong to look good?
Ah, but you do not have to dress like a slut to look good, like you can walk around with expensive stuff without having to show it off in plain view.

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
Wait, since when does the term "slut" refer to a style? o_O

Also, I thought this thread said "Slut Panda"
Am I weird for being disappointed that it isnt'? >.>

Seriously though, I dont' think rapist choose victims based solely on dress or even appearance.
They target those who are vulnerable or what they see as "weak."
Even though there are cases where someone has been raped due to promiscuous dress or things like that, it isn't purely based on one's attire.