'Slut' Parade

Leadfinger

Apr 21, 2010
TB_Infidel said:
Leadfinger said:
TB_Infidel said:
Leadfinger said:
There's a concept called "informed consent" that you should familiarize yourself with. See, neither children nor animals can give informed consent, so we justly condemn pedophilia and bestiality. On the other hand, you do seem to have a problem with what consenting adults do, especially women. Do women scare you?
Ah yes, I forgot how everyone always makes good, solid decisions based on sound reasoning and not on insecurities and because of this we live in the perfect world were no one makes mistakes.............oh wait.
Sadly for many people, age does not mean you make less mistakes, just different (and normally more complex) ones - being a slut is one of these examples.
I don't know how old you are, but I'm not convinced you posses the life experience to make such dogmatic pronouncements.
And what if I do? And even if I did not, how would that make what I said to be wrong. Just look at your life experience so far. How many people do you know who self harmed or did other drastic measures due to being in a poor mental state? Yes, it is more extreme then being a slut and sleeping about, but the point is that people sadly make decisions based on what they think it best according to their current mental state rather then doing what IS best.
Let's just say, based on the content of your posts on this topic, I don't think you do. Also, I don't think you understand the content of the article. The women are protesting the notion that if women dress in a certain way, they are fair game for rape. They are also trying to take a word that stigmatizes women, "slut," and reclaim it, taking away its stigma, as gays for example have reclaimed the word "queer," which used to stigmatize gays (or the word, "gay," for that matter).

JonnWood

Jul 16, 2008
Leadfinger said:
TB_Infidel said:
Leadfinger said:
TB_Infidel said:
Leadfinger said:
There's a concept called "informed consent" that you should familiarize yourself with. See, neither children nor animals can give informed consent, so we justly condemn pedophilia and bestiality. On the other hand, you do seem to have a problem with what consenting adults do, especially women. Do women scare you?
Ah yes, I forgot how everyone always makes good, solid decisions based on sound reasoning and not on insecurities and because of this we live in the perfect world were no one makes mistakes.............oh wait.
Sadly for many people, age does not mean you make less mistakes, just different (and normally more complex) ones - being a slut is one of these examples.
I don't know how old you are, but I'm not convinced you posses the life experience to make such dogmatic pronouncements.
And what if I do? And even if I did not, how would that make what I said to be wrong. Just look at your life experience so far. How many people do you know who self harmed or did other drastic measures due to being in a poor mental state? Yes, it is more extreme then being a slut and sleeping about, but the point is that people sadly make decisions based on what they think it best according to their current mental state rather then doing what IS best.
Let's just say, based on the content of your posts on this topic, I don't think you do. Also, I don't think you understand the content of the article. The women are protesting the notion that if women dress in a certain way, they are fair game for rape. They are also trying to take a word that stigmatizes women, "slut," and reclaim it, taking away its stigma, as gays for example have reclaimed the word "queer," which used to stigmatize gays (or the word, "gay," for that matter).
There's still a lot of debate on "reclamation", really. See the debate about whether it's acceptable for non-blacks to use "******" or not, and if the latter, does it constitutes a double standard?

Leadfinger

Apr 21, 2010
Blacks can refer to themselves any way they choose. Who is to tell them they can't? Similarly, if women wish to reclaim the word "slut," I don't think it's appropriate for men to tell them "no."

JonnWood

Jul 16, 2008
I'm black, and I don't use the word "******", nor do I think anyone else should. I don't like the connotations, I don't like its history, and I personally think it's a double standard. A lot of people disagree with me.

The problem I have isn't that white people are telling blacks how to use the word, or black people are telling blacks how to use the word, it's that black people are telling everyone else how to use the word. If the meaning has changed, why can't everyone use it?