Smaller Devs Abused By Steam's "No Questions Asked" Refund Policy

XT6Wagon

Sep 8, 2014
Blizzard did let people get refunds for diablo III for anyone within 30 days of buying it after the launch issues. Lots of people including me took them up on it.

Worked for them as I got it again once they fixed the game so it was playable. Which translated into a RoS sale.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Smilomaniac said:
2. The "data" regarding the drop in sales, have not been explained properly.
They are small numbers over a short period of time (about one week). The drops coincide with steam sales ending for certain games as well as refunds being implemented. While 13 refunds out of 18 sales is a large percentage, the numbers are insignificant - we're talking about 26 dollars here.
Also the drop in sales overlaps with the leak of the Steam Summer Sales date. Pretty much everyone who wants to buy a game and read about the summer sales will going to wait a little longer. If you know something will most likely go on sale in a week, would you buy it now or wait a week and maybe get a up to 90% price drop?

That being said, why are the graphs showing sales related to refunds? I worked only a short while close with a financial department and they had their sales separated from their refunds and there was a third, total chart which would show the final numbers.
If you sell 20 x and then get a refund of 10 x, you still sold 20 x. It didn't lower the sales, you just got refunds. Or at least that's how I understood it. I can't into economics, nor do I want to.

OverEZ

Nov 12, 2011
Yeah, lets band with the crappy indie devs and stop this pro-consumer policy. What a shitty thing to do, Steam. Those indie devs were relying on tricking people into making their games look worth-while. Shame on you, Steam. /sarcasm

Seriously though, if you can't be bothered to make a game longer than two hours AND is worth people's time, maybe this isn't the business you belong in. Try Television instead.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Alleged_Alec said:
Bat Vader said:
Alleged_Alec said:
Redflash said:
What the hell is wrong with some people (i.e. the ones going 'so what?') on this forum? Because a game doesn't take long to complete or doesn't have replay value, then people are somehow justified in shilling a game dev of 2 bucks? TWO DOLLARS. You're willing to steal (yes, steal, you got the experience and your money) for two dollars, and then justify it to yourself? Lets call a sheep a sheep here. You knew when you bought it that it wasn't a long game, or that the production values weren't going to be stellar. Nobody is buying a two dollar game and then going 'my god, this isn't what I was led to believe at all!'. This is just mean-spiritedness at it's worst and anyone defending ripping off small-time content creators seriously needs to rethink their life in general and their values in particular.
Wow. Did you even read what people wrote? No one did a Dick Dastardly laugh and said "yes, I'm going to finish these games and then get a refund". Now stop hitting that bale of straw and read what people are fucking arguing.
Considering the human race is mostly full of a-holes I can see some especially scummy people doing stuff like that. Remember a few weeks ago when that person made a fake 7,000 euro donation to a kickstarter? If anyone does abuse the system though they are absolute scum.
True, but it's still a useless statement. Yes, if people do this, that's a shitty thing to do. However, there's no evidence this happens on an appreciable scale, and even if that were the case, it's very arguable if that is bad enough to warrant taking away the rights of consumers.

Furthermore, I remember paying something like 15 euro's for Dear Esther because I heard it was a decent game. I was kind of disappointed when I finished it less than one and a half hours later. I would still have kept this game, since I found the game world fucking comfy and I still like to start it up and walk around that island once every few months, but I can totally see why people would feel ripped off by it and want their money back. These people did finish the game, but did so more or less by accident. Why is the act of finishing the game the one which should 'void the warranty'?
If someone buys a game, plays through it, and legitimately hates it I can see how they would want a refund. I'm not talking about those situations though. I'm purely speaking of people who would treat it as a rental service/abuse it. Buy a short game, finish it, and then ask for a refund whether or not they enjoyed the game.

MerlinCross

Apr 22, 2011
MonsterCrit said:
That wasn't my post... but it raises a point. And to answer your question you only have to look at Skyrim. The game got a tone of negative reviews around thepaid mod thing. Mind you these reviews had nothing to do with the game or the quality of the game. People were just giving thumbs down reviews bew cause they had a beef with a policy.

That I believe shows the general level of maturity. There are easily between 10-30 thousand such users on Steam. It may not seem like much taking into account the steam population but to a small indie dev.. 10K users pulling this sort of crap can and will break the bank.
But can you bet on that many people doing that to a small indie dev? Can you supply the number that a poor little dev game will see this happen to them? Skyrim's a big title and the paid mod a big issue so that's going to generate attention. Would that happen to, lemme just open up steam..., D4:Dark Dreams Never Die? I don't even know this company.

Only large titles and/or titles that make a splash of some kind(like Air Control, I could see that being downvoted to hell which it deserves). I doubt smaller devs/games have to worry about that unless someone actively tries to marshal a downvoting campaign.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
After getting a decent PC less than 3 weeks ago, the new refund policy certainly sounds like "WELCOME BACK MYSECONDLIFE, WE MISSED YOU!"

As for smaller devs being "abused", it just means they have to try harder to make their product something worth keeping.

I bought Journey on PS3 which lasts around 2 hours but I've had multiple play-through out of it. It instantaneously became one of my favorite games. There's that.

Pinky's Brain

Mar 2, 2011
RJ 17 said:
1. Europe has been nagging Valve to implement a refund system.
As I said before, it was almost certainly Straya which gave us Steam refunds. They had a court case which entered mediation in April, unlikely to be coincidence.

http://www.incompetition.com.au/2015/03/april-fools-mediation-steam-case/

ash12181987

Nov 9, 2010
To say 13/18 sales is 72% of that games sales for a few days, isn't deceptive... but it is something. I mean, we're talking about under 20 people. That is an embarrassingly small sample from which to draw conclusions. Considering this policy JUST happened, it could be argued that people are just trying it out. I mean, I was tempted to try and trade in a game when I heard valve had this policy now.

And lets put this into context, the game is under $2, according to the article. So the game company lost a whopping... $26... In 3 days... The Farengi would say that is being obsessive.

It'll be 6 months before we know what impact this will have, and even then... if games that cost under 5$, are still having this problem, and 72% of thousands of sales are being lost in that time... well, then special consideration can easily be made. Until such a time, that we have enough information to make that conclusion, lets stop saying that this is "A PR Fiasco"

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Steven Bogos said:
So let me get this straight, Steven:

Thirteen refunded units out of eighteen units sold, of a shitty $2 PC release the equivalent of a mobile game, is a sign of a systemic "problem" with Steam refunds and is proof of a "PR nightmare" for Valve?

FieryTrainwreck

Apr 16, 2010
Blah blah blah piss off, devs. This industry has been both nickle-and-diming its customers AND calling them entitled brats for years now. Shit's not flying anymore. Your shill buddies over on the journalism side of things decided to collectively go to war against the customer base, and now those "losers" have realized they control the purse strings for this industry. If you're upset about pro-consumer changes, you're gonna want to find another line of work real soon.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Bat Vader said:
Doom972 said:
Steven Bogos said:
Earlier in the month, Valve finally decided to match one of "no questions asked" refund policy [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127004-EA-Offers-Full-Refunds-For-Unsatisfied-Origin-Customers] that allowed gamers to get a full refund on games purchased within two months and played for less than two hours.
While many people initially celebrated Valve's refund policy, the blanket "2 months, 2 hours, no questions asked" doesn't seem particularly well thought out, and after the whole paid mod fiasco [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/140608-Valve-Ends-Paid-Mod-Program-On-Steam-Workshop] may be turning into another "Valve is completely out-of-touch with its fans and its partners" PR fiasco.
It's two weeks, not two months. It even says so in the links your provided.

OT: If a game can be finished in under 2 hours and doesn't have enough replayability or post-game content to make people want to keep playing, it's not worth even a single dollar. If people can now get refunds for these games, then I see it as the system working.
I disagree. Sometimes I want to play a short game like Dear Esther. I find them to be very calming and relaxing and I don't mind spending a couple of bucks to help support the developer. If people are buying short games just to beat them and then get refunds for them I find that to be a very crappy thing to do. I view those people as nothing more than scum.
Spend your money however you wish. I doubt people buy games with the intention of getting a refund for them. If I bought a game and found out that it lasts less than 2 hours I'd get a refund.
Also, If people make a habit of buying games, speeding through them and then getting a refund, Steam reserves the right not to give refunds to people who abuse the system.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Justank said:
Doom972 said:
OT: If a game can be finished in under 2 hours and doesn't have enough replayability or post-game content to make people want to keep playing, it's not worth even a single dollar. If people can now get refunds for these games, then I see it as the system working.
So you would never buy a $60 game that you get less than 120+ hours of gameplay out of? Not many will make that cut. The policy should be tweaked a bit to combat gaming the system but yeah, the refund policy is definitely needed. Maybe track a game completion achievement and block the refund at that point.

Edit: I'm pretty sure my first play through of Portal didn't even take a full two hours, and I still consider it worth a solid $30 on it's own.
I wouldn't buy a game for $60 regardless of how much gameplay time I can get out of it.

thepyrethatburns

Sep 22, 2010
Seems to me that the easiest all-around fix for the devs is, instead of selling an under-two hour game on Steam or threatening to bring back DRM, to sell it on Gog or Desura or XBLI or through your own site. If enough of these games are quality experiences, then Steam will eventually revamp their policy.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Sure. And when same-sex marriage gets legalised in a region, same-sex marriages skyrocket as well. This would seem to be a no-brainer. You couldn't do it before. Now you can. This speaks nothing to the validity of the individuals acting. It's like...when you allow something...more people will do it...or something.

Personally, this might get me to start buying more games at a time where my purchases have slowed because both the indies and the majors have lost my trust. A refund policy if a game is broken or crap might get me to pry open my wallet more often. This is part of the reason I buy games almost entirely during big sales these days.

Sometimes I come across a game I really enjoy, and I actually feel bad for not paying full price. But often times, I feel like I've spent the proper amount or too much. Game devs and publishers have played too long with the "screw you, got your money" angle for me to spend more than a few bucks on a game without a damn good reason.

But, okay....

Elsewhere, other devs are considering more drastic measures. Cliff "Cliffski" Harris of Democracy and Gratuitous Space Battles has always proudly sold his games completely free of any sort of DRM, but is now worried about people simply buying his games, downloading them, getting a refund and then continuing to play them.
Alright, but that sounds like a very obtuse way to pirate a game. I'm sure there are easier ways, and you're already not using DRM. Why would they go to such lengths to pirate a game? I mean, am I missing something here? Someone want to clue me in as to why they wouldn't just go that route? Are there a lot of pirates who are Rube Goldberg fans?

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Whatislove said:
What strikes me as the worst thing is that there are people out there so incredibly petty that they need their two dollars back after (most likely) fully completing the game they paid two freaking dollars for.

Hell, even if the game was total crap I wouldn't refund my $2, it's two fucking dollars for fuck sake, I'd have to have a personal vendetta against a developer to request my two bucks back.
Imagine how awful the game must be that people want their 2 dollars back?

MonsterCrit said:
You're right . it hasn't happened... can it happen? yes. You see the fallacy of history is that nothing happens until it happens . It's why people study history to get a better understanding of cause and effect relationships. Again if it's something that is adopted by the industry at large... gamers will have little choice. Either put up with it.. or take up reading, or samba dancing.

Larger influential publishers would love an excuse to justify tacking another $20 on new release prices. . Bundle two games that would have normally sold for $5 that works out to Bethesda pocketting a cool extra $10. THe thing is there are plenty of games on steam that are sold only in bundles I.e they have no individual listings. That's on of the things the publisher does. A two-pack is ironically a single product.
A god may go down from heaven and personally take you to hell. What "maybe if the world goes crazy could happen" is quite irrelevant here. Gamers are not idiots. they already proved it many times. this wont happen to any publisher that has a brain on his shoulders.

MonsterCrit said:
Define "Good". The irony is. It's more the 'Good Games' that will be hurt the most. But we'll see what happens when M#9 hits steam.
Simple. In this context a good game is a game that either is enjoyable enough to play for 2 hours (whether its that long or its replayability is irrelevant here) or is enjoyable enough that you want to keep it even if you played it for less than 2 hours.

A bad game is one that you want to get rid of within 2 hours.

"Nothing like that will ever happen" , "It will never happen" . Look through history and you always find someone always says that.. and is immediately proven wrong. You need to think in terms of cause and effect.

One very real change that's already happening is that more than a few games have had 'Offline Mode' support patched out. As a protection against abusers. Since steam can't keep track of time played when the game is run in offline or launched without the steam client (don't snicker near a third of steam games can actually be run directly from their install directory.). The Steam DRM is about to become much more obtrusive as more developers actually start implementing it fully.
Sure. Cause: Gamers are able to refund shit games. Effect: bad games will have less profit, good games unaffected.
Cause: shit games bundle with good games for price increase. Effect: noone buys that shit.

Every single one of those games made a mistake. people that wanted to get the game for free already could pirate it. noone is going to bother jumping through refund hoops when a far easier alternative is already possible. Steam DRM offer 0 protection against abusers like that.

Is it near a third now? last time i looked it was less than 5%. I guess it could have increased with the flood of shitty games that probably run on their own. And every single developer that implements it obtrusively will simply be shooting themselves in the foot. Not that i would want to support such a developer to begin with. Probably a lot of older games being sold helps there too.

Lightknight said:
That's not true. You're telling me people won't be tempted to get a refund on a $60 game after they've finished it? People absolutely do that and did that back with EB games had a one week return policy. It was practically issuing a challenge for people to finish a game in that time frame to be able to get the money back to buy another one. That's why the policy ended.

I'm not talking about reducing two hours for larger/longer games. I'm talking about reducing the time for smaller games that can be finished in less than the two hours.
As it turns out, on Origin and GoG that do allow you to refund those games, people dont. so perhaps that would actually be true. Thats not really relevant though. If you have so little content that the player gets bored before 2 hour marker you shouldnt be selling your game. and no, there should be no exception for smaller games. these games being smaller is punishment enough.

No, the indie market wasn't. It was nothing like it is today. Perhaps you could make the argument for relatively small studios but nothing like the incredibly small teams that produced games like Super Meat Boy, Braid, FTL and all the big indie titles now.

Not only that, but there really hasn't been an iOS market for that long either. So where do you believe the indie games market was thriving before Steam created a unified platform for PC? Some backwoods site that you found and enjoyed but no one else knew about?

Indie in the 90's-00's was just a small studio that still had a publisher (aka, not an Indie study by today's standards).

It's only with steam where getting their work on Steam is all the "publisher" they need.
Well true, it wasnt saturated by crap cashins trying to actually profit from asset theft like it is today. The "one-man-team" things certainlly happened though. Its just that there was no centralized marketplace then, and so you had to actually look for them yourself.

There is no need for a centralized site for a market to be alive and well. There were people that self-published. For example the first graphic MMO in worlds history - Tibia (and yes, Ultima Online was a few months later, which was second) was made by 3 colledge students and ran in their basement. The game is still alive and working today.

Tradjus said:
How about no refunds on games under five bucks?
Seems fair to me. o3o
Thats the opposite of fair. Whats fair is equal rules to all games, like it is now.

Whatislove said:
That is not the case with one of the examples in the original post, Beyond Gravity, which actually has favorable reviews and a good steam reputation. 89% positive reviews from 616 reviews total but as soon as the refund policy goes live it has a 72% refund rate? please. I don't think it has anything to do with people not liking it.
Have you seen the game? its something i wouldnt download for free on my phone, let alone pay 2 dollars for. im surprised the refunds are ONLY 72%.

MonsterCrit said:
That wasn't my post... but it raises a point. And to answer your question you only have to look at Skyrim. The game got a tone of negative reviews around thepaid mod thing. Mind you these reviews had nothing to do with the game or the quality of the game. People were just giving thumbs down reviews bew cause they had a beef with a policy.

That I believe shows the general level of maturity. There are easily between 10-30 thousand such users on Steam. It may not seem like much taking into account the steam population but to a small indie dev.. 10K users pulling this sort of crap can and will break the bank.
Lets assume 30k users (your maximum estimate) and that it is 5% bad costumers. that would mean 600k total steam costumers. as we know, in 2014 Steam reached 100 million active users, in which case 30k means its only 0.3% of people. If anything, this would show that gaming community is FAR MORE MATURE than average business costumers.

and im all FOR breaking people that try to sell crap like Beyond Gravity. If Steam had quality control they wouldnt be there to begin with.

Redflash said:
What the hell is wrong with some people (i.e. the ones going 'so what?') on this forum? Because a game doesn't take long to complete or doesn't have replay value, then people are somehow justified in shilling a game dev of 2 bucks? TWO DOLLARS. You're willing to steal (yes, steal, you got the experience and your money) for two dollars, and then justify it to yourself? Lets call a sheep a sheep here. You knew when you bought it that it wasn't a long game, or that the production values weren't going to be stellar. Nobody is buying a two dollar game and then going 'my god, this isn't what I was led to believe at all!'. This is just mean-spiritedness at it's worst and anyone defending ripping off small-time content creators seriously needs to rethink their life in general and their values in particular.
Indeed, what is wrong with some people that think shitty developers that shouldnt exist should be paid more attention to than gamers. if your game takes less than 2 hours and has no replay value you shouldnt be asking money to begin with. period.

And no, thats not theft. Look up the definition of theft. your flat out wrong here.

Yes, lets call sheep a sheep, these developers shouldnt exist. they are whats wrong with gaming.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
I understand some smaller devs having concerns, but I'd like to think that if you make a good game, you'll still make plenty of money even if some people do ask for a refund.

On a side note, I'm glad this refund policy came out when it did. I wanted to try and see how Arkham Knight will run on my PC when it comes out in a couple weeks. If it doesn't run well due to my computer, I'll just ask for a refund and buy it again when I get a new graphics card.

EDIT: Also, if it turns out to be buggy like Origins was, I'll ask for a refund and wait for the GOTY edition.