Smash player ZeRo admits to sending inappropriate messages to minors.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Nah man, this was I believe 12 or under, I definitely remember him saying that was his ideal age. In Japan it was just legal back in the day so I guess he never took the change seriously. I guess the fine he payed being something akin to 1200 bucks is show of that. He's a popular mangaka but he's not really a big celebrity enough to influence such issues.

Also the dude is still married too and his wife works with him, maybe his wife shares his hobby lol.
It does not make it any better for me. It does not matter if he's married or not. In fact, that just makes things worse.I don't care what laws they did or didn't have. I know, different country, different set of rules, but I don't give a shit. I'm glad he has little to no influence, but the fact that the best he gets is a fine bothers me. Had he be in almost any other country he would be off the jail.

Last edited:
Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
It does not make it any less better for me. It does not matter if he's married or not. I don't care what laws they did or didn't have. I know, different country, different set of rules, but I don't give a shit. I'm glad he has little to no influence, but the fact that the best he gets the fine bothers me. Had be be in almost any other country you would be off the jail.
Well it's at least nice to see someone (you) hold true to their morals instead of being a subjectivist.

Reactions: BrawlMan

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
The thing with the ice cubes (asked a fourteen-year-old to masturbate or something and send him pics of it) is pretty bad. It's not as bad as it could've been because she didn't go through with it. While I usually think the age gap isn't too big of a deal in cases similar to this, because the emotional maturity of a dedicated gamer doesn't grow as fast as their age, this one goes into yikes-territory. Like, "bro, you should get therapy" -type of deal.

The other "accusation" is a weird one and really should have been kept private. Yeah, Zero caved in and gave a public apology for apparently showing hentai to a girl in their multi-person living arrangement who was 15 years old at the time. Dunno if it's worth the harassment she got from Zero's fans.

Last edited:

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
I went and read through the enormous 50+ document that this Jisu/Jackie compiled. And now that I've got more context I understand why these allegations (against Zero or otherwise) are made public. It's because while in most cases a private, sincere, apology would be enough, there will be no such thing without heavy outside pressure like there is now. Zero seems to be omitting as much as he can (if there is no damning evidence then it didn't happen) and even lying. Then again owning up to your mistakes privately might in some cases just give hard evidence of you doing it in the first place, and so it's understandable one would rather weasel out of it. Like I said in the other thread, these recent scandals make gender segregation in gaming sound like a wonderful idea.

But then, past Zero... There was that wacky living arrangement they had in Sky Williams' house. Uh-oh. Sky even tried to come clean in a livestream instead of writing. Oh dear. Here's a tiny sample. Note that it's a short clip out of context, but I'm reading the whole stream was really really bad.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I mean didnt we always know the Con/ESports scene was sketchy as fuck the entire time? Its like being surprised there are pedos in the Magic the Gathering or MLP communities. We all knew this decades ago.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
I mean didnt we always know the Con/ESports scene was sketchy as fuck the entire time? Its like being surprised there are pedos in the Magic the Gathering or MLP communities. We all knew this decades ago.
Can we just assume that any group or selection of humans will contain bad actors? That seems like a pretty safe assumption. There are probably at least 5 such people here on these forums.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Can we just assume that any group or selection of humans will contain bad actors? That seems like a pretty safe assumption. There are probably at least 5 such people here on these forums.
Well sure, but unless kids lied about their age to get in with us cool guys, and why wouldnt they, isn't there a minimum age to the Escapist forums? Even if there are pedos on this site, I doubt they're using this site to send messages to kids.
Im saying didn't we know a long LONG time ago that bad actors were using the Con/ESports communities to get to kids? Didnt the Quartering first get famous for reporting pedos in the MTG community like 10 years ago?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Im saying didn't we know a long LONG time ago that bad actors were using the Con/ESports communities to get to kids?
I didn't. I knew about the racism, sexism, and homophobia, but I did not think it would sink that low. The only reason I found out about the racism is this one black bearded idiot I saw a clip of that made unsavory comments about black women. Women of my race. I saw the clip when Bennett the Sage posted it calling out people like that in FGC in one of his anime reviews. The dude who made the unsavory comments got kicked out around 2014.

Didnt the Quartering first get famous for reporting pedos in the MTG community like 10 years ago?
Fuck the Quartering. He ain't a pedo, but the dude is not as good as he believes he is. He has huge issues with women, so it's hypocritical on his end. I did not even know about his reportings, because I don't follow assholes like him.

Last edited:

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Fuck the Quartering. He ain't a pedo, but the dude is not as good as he believes he is. He has huge issues with women, so it's hypocritical on his end. I did not not even know about his reportings, because I don't follow assholes like him.
The Quartering may not be an incel, but he's every hateful incel's favorite youtuber.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The Quartering may not be an incel, but he's every hateful incel's favorite youtuber.
What the fuck does incel even mean at this point? Because all I see is just another fancy term for assholes. It's assholes sucking the dick or clits of others assholes. It's a circle jerk asshole jamboree.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
What the fuck does incel even mean at this point? Because all I see is just another fancy term for assholes. It's assholes sucking the dick or clits of others assholes. It's a circle jerk asshole jamboree.
The 2010's, known for being the time that we destroyed the definitions of thousands of words.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
On that subject, if we want to also care about homophobia, or sexism or political correctness and whatnot, maybe we shouldn't be trying to insult people based on their sexual activity, or lack thereof?

Do we want to raise a whole generation on the word "incel"? On the fear being involuntarily celibate? That they should be out having sex as soon as possible so that this taunt won't apply to them?

Or perhaps it'll lose it's meaning, like the word "gay" and other related terms, as an insult?

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Fuck the Quartering. He ain't a pedo, but the dude is not as good as he believes he is. He has huge issues with women, so it's hypocritical on his end. I did not even know about his reportings, because I don't follow assholes like him.
Oh for sure fuck the Quartering, he's an asshole. My point was that the knowledge of creeps and abusers in the nerd community has been public knowledge for years, if not decades. I wonder what the word-of-mouth/early internet forums were like in the 90s about ComicCon and the like.

And to the point of the moment isn't incel a synonym for 'nice guy'? The guy who acts all sweet and the second the girl turns her down is like "fuck you whore ***** slut ***** I hope a pigeon eats your nipples fuck you ass ***** whore slut whore" and then wonder why girls don't like them. The kind of guy who feel entitled to women and sex because they've convinced themselves they're better than other guys.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Oh for sure fuck the Quartering, he's an asshole. My point was that the knowledge of creeps and abusers in the nerd community has been public knowledge for years, if not decades. I wonder what the word-of-mouth/early internet forums were like in the 90s about ComicCon and the like.

And to the point of the moment isn't incel a synonym for 'nice guy'? The guy who acts all sweet and the second the girl turns her down is like "fuck you whore ***** slut ***** I hope a pigeon eats your nipples fuck you ass ***** whore slut whore" and then wonder why girls don't like them. The kind of guy who feel entitled to women and sex because they've convinced themselves they're better than other guys.
No. It literally just means someone (Any gender) that hasn't had sex with anyone yet but wants to.

Edit: Seriously. WTF is the point of definitions if we can't even keep it consistent for even a few years?!

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I wonder what the word-of-mouth/early internet forums were like in the 90s about ComicCon and the like.
I would not know. We did not get good internet until mid-late 2001. And even then, I rarely touched forums until 2006. Hell, I was not even aware of E3 until 2000/2001. Let alone Comic-Con.

Odin

Apr 26, 2020
Country
United Kingdom
Nah, I'm with BrawlMan, stop calling people incels when you're just using the word as a synonym for asshole.
Incel is useful, though, as it specifies that we're talking about a specific type of asshole. Whatever it means in theory, in practice people near-universally use it to refer to a particular type of bitter, jaded misogynist, as opposed to some rando who can't get laid.

Reactions: MrCalavera

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I would not know. We did not get good internet until mid-late 2001. And even then, I rarely touched forums until 2006. Hell, I was not even aware of E3 until 2000/2001. Let alone Comic-Con.
You weren't missing much. Dial up was a pain in the ass.

I mean this seems like a pretty damning read:
Dude, this is wikipedia you're citing.