Smite Dev Removes "Offensive" Goddess From Website

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
algalon said:
I'm pretty sure Hi-Rez knew exactly what kind of publicity they would get for using current religious figures. Their reasons for not using Christian figures are simple - most were human and peaceful in nature. Is Jesus ever depicted anywhere wielding a sword in one hand and a person's head in another? (I mean legitimately, not on some NRA redneck website) The answer - no. This would make his combat abilities limited to healing the sick and turning the other cheek, maybe raining fish upon his enemies. Kali is an ideal character to build a violent videogame around. Weapons? check. Fiery wrath? check. Holding the head of one foe while trampling the other under foot? Check and check. Body of female olympic boxing contender? check. if nothing else, maybe Hi-Rez should give her a more manly figure since most of her paintings depict her as being more massive than shapely.
They use Norse, Greek, and Egyption gods otherwise - gods that are barely worshipped today (I'm being inclusive of some neo-pagans). The more likely reason is that those aren't widespread, largely considered dead, and had a lot of representation in pop culture so far.

It sends a message that Hinduism is a dead faith, which is obviously untrue.

One only needs to look at the Crusades and watch Gangs of New York to see Christ seen as a sort of warrior God over the modern Christian "turn the other cheek" model.

Oh, and I'll just leave this here. [http://www.cracked.com/article_19947_the-11-most-unintentionally-hilarious-religious-paintings.html]

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Tanis said:
I have only one objection to this meme:

The last line, "And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my childern's throat." should be corrected in accordance with the current sexual trends of religions "And PLEASE don't try to shove it up my children's ass."

Just my opinion, though.

OT: If the Hindu's are pissed about Agni, I hope they don't play Breath of Fire 1. Ever. Also, I find it slightly hypocritical that religious people are pissed about anything when all of them, collectively, share the statistic of "leading cause of human death". When something else supercedes religion in this endeavor, I might start give a flying fuck about what religious people have to say.

Guilherme Zoldan

Jun 20, 2011
Just trowing in my two cents.
Its quite clear that Hi-Rez has the right to keep the champions there and just tell whatever religious people who take offense to piss off.
But being a company who wants to have a broad audience, maybe they shouldnt. Then again its possible the people pissed are only a minority and there are plenty of hindu's who are okay with it and wont take it as more then a silly joke.

Personally I would not like it if they outright removed champions from the game by this stage just because a few people are offended, it would seem lacking in artistic integrity, also might piss off people who bought the champions.

Also personaly I dont give a fuck about it being offensive cause I think most religions are stupid and deserve to be offended.

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
oh come on now.

this is just stupid

I HEREBY OFFICIALLY CALL FOR A GAME DESIGNER/TEAM
2d fighting game of religious figures.
preliminary lineup:
throw in jesus, abraham, Shiva, Kali, Horus, Set, thor, odin, ares, athena, Papa Legba and Baron Samedi.
Should also have special "mohammed mode" that turns the fighters invisible, have to fight blind using only the hit effects

I will pay literally HUNDREDS of cents for this to happen. get at me

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
Tanis said:

The last line, "And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my childern's throat." should be corrected in accordance with the current sexual trends of religions "And PLEASE don't try to shove it up my children's ass."

Just my opinion, though.

OT: If the Hindu's are pissed about Agni, I hope they don't play Breath of Fire 1. Ever. Also, I find it slightly hypocritical that religious people are pissed about anything when all of them, collectively, share the statistic of "leading cause of human death". When something else supercedes religion in this endeavor, I might start give a flying fuck about what religious people have to say.
except that "up [your] ass" is not a phrase used to describe pressuring someone with unwanted information... its just a phrase describing buttrape.

flames09

Nov 26, 2011
When people cave into things like this, especially to the religious, I cringe and become sad.

Freedom of Speech
Freedom of Religion

This is on par of not publishing pictures of Mohammed and letting Islamic fanatics bully you around.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
8-Bit_Jack said:
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
Tanis said:

Just my opinion, though.

except that "up [your] ass" is not a phrase used to describe pressuring someone with unwanted information... its just a phrase describing buttrape.
You're correct. It's about unwanted intrusion. Which, in both cases, this is.

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
Uh I think you guys have forgotten how important religion is to people... taking a primary figure of any religion and sticking it in some shitty game just for fun is bound to annoy people. I completely agree with the protesters on this, this is the worst idea for a game I can think of. What is including gods and goddesses from modern religions going to do for the game other than cause it to upset a lot of people?

keiskay

Nov 18, 2011
I like the "dont play it argument". this argument legitimizes rape games as well, since if you dont like it don't play it. heck its the same excuse the devs of ethnic cleansing used for their game, which glories the KKK and neo-nazism, but i guess if you are offended by it don't play it.
Rastelin said:
They apparently are offensive for displaying a goddess who is dark and violent as... well dark and violent. So funny that. Same reaction you get from Christians for calling the OT god a murdering genocidal maniac. He clearly was, but it is offensive to display it or put words to it. Go figure. So offended belief easily are. Wonder why.
everyone gets offended, many a atheist go batshit when they are called devil worshiping baby eaters, or when they are called a religion. heck some atheist lose their shit when someone even mentions religion or says something religious. heck an atheist in the us flipped shit over the currency saying in god we trust. cause you know losing your shit and getting offended about that a piece of paper contains a figure that they don't believe in is somehow offensive and legitimate right?

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Don't anyone tell the Hindus that a lot of their god's names have been used in games throughout the years and that them picking this game in particular to fuss over is silly at best.

keiskay

Nov 18, 2011
Rastelin said:
keiskay said:
I like the "dont play it argument". this argument legitimizes rape games as well, since if you dont like it don't play it.
You are comparing rape games to this? When the fuck did rape games have anything to do with the freedom of speech? Think you overshot the point here.
sorry but freedom of speech is very subjective and very hard to define. in many European countries they have hate speech laws, those very well violate true freedom of speech. in the US we have laws against libel and slander, those laws can be seen as a violation as well. a ban on rape games can be seen as a violation of free speech and suppression of art and censorship as well. so its very relevant to this discussion.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Ah man. If your going to make a move, then make a move Hi-Rez. Either take the God out and listen to their argument or don't listen. Don't take down one image while still including the God, that just makes you wishy washy people who want to appease the protesters without actually doing anything.

Frozengale

Sep 9, 2009
Once again here's my summation of the situation:

From the last thread on this subject

Hindus: We don't like how you are portraying our God and trivializing our religion. We ask that you be more respectful to our beliefs.

Internet: OMG! CENSORSHIP AND OPPRESSION! LEAVE US ALONE YOU RELIGIOUS ZEALOTS! RUN FOR THE HILLS EVERYONE!
And now summation for this thread:

Hindus: Hey guys. Thanks for removing that image from your website. Can you please remove the characters from the game. It's kind of crass and rude to us. We would like you to show some respect to our beliefs.

Internet: SEE! WE TOLD YOU! CENSORSHIP! FREEDOM OF SPEECH IS BEING TAKEN AWAY! WE ARE ALL DOOMED! THEY ARE RELIGIOUS AND THEREFORE THEY WANT TO DESTROY US ALL! OMG, STOP THE MADNESS!

I've found that when people on the internet talk about tolerance what they usually mean is that people of religion should tolerate having their religions being bastardized, degraded, and pissed on by others. And people not of religion should NOT have to tolerate the existence of people with religious beliefs.

targren

May 13, 2009
Madkipz said:
Oh yes. Lets give them a finger, and then watch as they ask for the hand next.
I don't know about that. I have two fingers that I'm giving to them, right now. ;)

targren

May 13, 2009
keiskay said:
sorry but freedom of speech is very subjective and very hard to define. in many European countries they have hate speech laws, those very well violate true freedom of speech. in the US we have laws against libel and slander, those laws can be seen as a violation as well. a ban on rape games can be seen as a violation of free speech and suppression of art and censorship as well. so its very relevant to this discussion.
Actually, it's not. All of the things you mentioned, with the exception of slander/libel laws, are violations of freedom of speech. The difference is that, in europe, it's not codified into (supposedly) inviolate law like it is in the U.S.

The reason that it doesn't apply to slander/libel is twofold: First, the premise that "your rights end when they infringe on the rights of others." There is no right (again, speaking for the US) to be protected from having your religious sensibilities offended. There IS a right to not have your liberty or livelihood taken from you due to spreading falsehoods. In the US, "the truth" is an absolute defense against accusations of libel/slander.

The second is that, in the US, libel and slander are civil actions, NOT criminal. You can't be thrown into prison for committing either, but you can have your ass sued into oblivion.