Smite Dev Removes "Offensive" Goddess From Website

Frozengale

Sep 9, 2009
Rastelin said:
Yea we tried that once. Letting religious superstition dictating freedom of speech and expression. Was called the dark ages. How did that work out? At best they can whine, but given the history, they have lost all rights to be heard in my book. And who is this offensive to? The people or the clergy making the noise I wonder.
These people aren't asking you to give up your freedom of speech. They aren't dictating your life. Heck they aren't even trying to pursue any legal action which last I checked is what everyone and their dog does when they they think someone stared at them funny. They are ASKING in a kind and cordial manner to have something that they hold in high regards to not be made fun of and trivialized.

I'm really surprised at the levels of hate and bile that are coming out of these discussions. It's like someone stepped on your foot and you said, "Can you please not do that again." and the person started screaming something like, "HOW DARE YOU TELL ME WHAT I CAN AND CAN'T DO! HELP HELP I'M BEING OPPRESSED! THIS MAN IS TRYING TO DICTATE WHAT I CAN AND CAN'T DO WITH MY LIFE! SOMEBODY HELP ME PLEASE!" There's just a total disconnect to me. I always hear people on the internet screaming for tolerance and equality and respecting one another and getting a long. But the minute someone you don't like asks for the same thing suddenly all bets are off.

keiskay

Nov 18, 2011
Rastelin said:
keiskay said:
sorry but freedom of speech is very subjective and very hard to define. in many European countries they have hate speech laws, those very well violate true freedom of speech. in the US we have laws against libel and slander, those laws can be seen as a violation as well. a ban on rape games can be seen as a violation of free speech and suppression of art and censorship as well. so its very relevant to this discussion.
Rape games a sick, twisted and evil and the developers knows it. I doubt you will hear them using that argument to promote such a game. And Kali was in deed a dark violent goddess. Hi-Rez Studios are not making a sick twisted game here. They are merely being accurate. Did some reading on the good goddess. Recent efforts have been made to sugar coat her I found.
what? that argument is used for rape games as well as other even worse arguments, like the "if you abhor rape, but except violence your a hypocrite" argument that gets drug out when ever rape games are discussed. the devs making the games think it is a way to live out a sexual fantasy of their own and many peoples pleasures, without causing real physical harm on other humans to fulfill it. so can you say rape games are evil when they are made as a somewhat preventative measure? yes kali is the goddess of time and death. she does not take an active role in death though, and is more equivalent to say anubis or a valkyrie. People feel she is a sacred symbol of there religion, they have every right to protest and be offended, just as you have every right to criticize their beliefs.
Rastelin said:
Pearwood said:
Uh I think you guys have forgotten how important religion is to people... taking a primary figure of any religion and sticking it in some shitty game just for fun is bound to annoy people. I completely agree with the protesters on this, this is the worst idea for a game I can think of. What is including gods and goddesses from modern religions going to do for the game other than cause it to upset a lot of people?
Yea we tried that once. Letting religious superstition dictating freedom of speech and expression. Was called the dark ages. How did that work out? At best they can whine, but given the history, they have lost all rights to be heard in my book. And who is this offensive to? The people or the clergy making the noise I wonder.
which dark age? there where several in human history. but i assume you mean the european one. which is funny because most historians have disproved religion being the culprit and average human greed and ass hattery that humans are known for, for being the main culprit. its odd that you say this when, Isaac newton was so religious that today you would consider him a hardcore fundie. the guy who actually discovered evolution believed in ghost and giant demonic spirits. gregor mendel was a fucking monk. many religious institutions actually helped decrease violence by telling knights that killing innocent civilians was wrong and they should reject those that tell them to do so. many religious institutions also taught the common man to read. heck the only reason people learned to read was so they could read the bible. many religious institutions also preserved many important books.

Frozengale

Sep 9, 2009
Rastelin said:
I never said they couldn't complain. I am however saying people should laugh and keep on doing what they are doing while the hen house of clergy and bishops are claiming respect were none is earned.
I agree. People should just laugh and go about their business. It's what I do for the most part. But they aren't me so I shouldn't expect them to act like me. And I think these guys have earned respect. In our world with all these beliefs and non-beliefs that everyone has most people act out in the worst possible way. These people have decided to do something that most wouldn't and have asked in a calm and nice manner to have something that they hold in high regards treated better. That's something that earns respect in my eyes. Most people would pursue legal action, or be bitter and vile about it. These guys just don't want to see their religion bastardized. It's a small thing to ask and I think it would be a classy move on Hi-Rez's part to comply. If Hi-Rez doesn't comply though, I think that is alright as well. I would then hope the Hindus would just let it be and forget about it. But asking to be treated with some respect isn't wrong.

Whispering Cynic

Nov 11, 2009
Hmm. Let me put it this way: if the goddess in question has any problems with her portrayal in this game, she is free to step forward and say so. I'm sure the developers will do anything in their power to rectify the situation and accomodate her wishes.

Until she does so however, she is to be treated like any other deity - some meatbags' imaginary friend. And you certainly shouldn't bend over backwards because of someone's imaginary friends...

beniki

May 28, 2009
Ah yes. Freedom of Speech.

Freedom to steal other peoples ideas and add sparkly projectiles on it, and then get indignant when the people who made it ask you to show some respect.

But of course, I must not be enlightened enough to see why it's okay to piss all over someone's religion. 'Imaginary friend' gods may be, but damned if other people don't hold law, money, justice and 'liberty' close to their hearts.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
They should replace Kali with the Buddy Christ. If you're going to piss off the religions, you might as well make it an homage to George Carlin and Kevin Smith while you're at it.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
I never get why game developers/publishers pay attention to people like these. These guys don't own the ancient concepts of these deities, and everyone can do what they please with them.
I've seen hindu gods portrayed in films and cartoons in worse ways than in this game, BTW.

Vareoth

Mar 14, 2012
Just change the names and character models a bit and: TADA! Disaster averted.

Also, if the developer is going to be careless with other people's beliefs they might as well go the whole way. Put in Jesus, Allah and all of their friends. Don't just pick one religion based half a world away.

I would totally buy a game where I can punch other deities in the face with Jesus.

TheTygre

Jun 17, 2009
Rastelin said:
keiskay said:
which dark age? there where several in human history. but i assume you mean the european one. which is funny because most historians have disproved religion being the culprit and average human greed and ass hattery that humans are known for, for being the main culprit. its odd that you say this when, Isaac newton was so religious that today you would consider him a hardcore fundie. the guy who actually discovered evolution believed in ghost and giant demonic spirits. gregor mendel was a fucking monk. many religious institutions actually helped decrease violence by telling knights that killing innocent civilians was wrong and they should reject those that tell them to do so. many religious institutions also taught the common man to read. heck the only reason people learned to read was so they could read the bible. many religious institutions also preserved many important books.
The European dark ages, the Spanish inquisition, take your pick. And call it what you like. Religion being the cause or merely used to inspire such travesties. It played a major part. Priests sanctioned the torture, the burnings and the public gore feast that was justice in those days. They made it official and the church supported it. Thomas More who used to burn people for owning a bible in English was a devout Christian and the Catholic Church made him a saint which he still is today for crying out loud. But religion had nothing to do with it?
But we're not talking about Christianity, are we? We're talking about Hinduism, a religion with a completely different history. Do I say that Hinduism has never done horrible things? No. No religion has. But neither has any ideology. The fact is, we are but mere mortals, such stuff as dreams are made of. We seek to reach inhuman ideals with dirtied human hands, hands stained in blood and gore and lucre, with all our desires for power and all our ignorance and hate clouding our minds. If religions fail at their stated purposes, it is because people fail. The fact is that spirituality is but a symptom of humanity.

hickwarrior

a samurai... devil summoner?
Nov 7, 2007
Well, could people stop making the mistake that HiRez would put in Yahweh, allah and jesus in the game? They are focusing on religions with multiple gods(There is a word for this, just forgot). Not singular ones.

Yes, it's a nitpick, but seriously, stop making that mistake.

As for the topic, I think people cry out because they see a slipper slope ahead. Might do them well not to get on it in the first place.

OurGloriousLeader

May 14, 2008
Frozengale said:
Rastelin said:
I never said they couldn't complain. I am however saying people should laugh and keep on doing what they are doing while the hen house of clergy and bishops are claiming respect were none is earned.
I agree. People should just laugh and go about their business. It's what I do for the most part. But they aren't me so I shouldn't expect them to act like me. And I think these guys have earned respect. In our world with all these beliefs and non-beliefs that everyone has most people act out in the worst possible way. These people have decided to do something that most wouldn't and have asked in a calm and nice manner to have something that they hold in high regards treated better. That's something that earns respect in my eyes. Most people would pursue legal action, or be bitter and vile about it. These guys just don't want to see their religion bastardized. It's a small thing to ask and I think it would be a classy move on Hi-Rez's part to comply. If Hi-Rez doesn't comply though, I think that is alright as well. I would then hope the Hindus would just let it be and forget about it. But asking to be treated with some respect isn't wrong.
Quoted for the effing truth. This entire bunch of comments would be laughable if it wasn't so depressing. Some people have respectfully requested. The other people have respectfully complied with that request. This is how society is supposed to work with Freedom of Speech - rather than legislate, people are simply not dicks to one another.