Snipers get a bad rap in gaming?

Miller iz Life

Oct 13, 2009
the fun i get from sniping mostly comes from the satisfaction of seeing someone far away and the tension between either hitting them and dropping them or missing and compromising my position. 1 problem with games like mw2 is that snipers are not portable and really cant be hip-fired accurately. i enjoy using bolt action more than semi auto's for the pleasure/satisfaction i get from killing them with one well placed bullet as opposed to 400+ from an LMG sprayed downrange. sniping is a lifestyle get used to it haters

AWDMANOUT

Jan 4, 2010
Because the point of sniping is to stay as far away from the enemy as possible, so you die much less often.
Which most other players don't like.
http://www.thejump.net/humor/sniper.jpg

Pyre00

Mar 17, 2009
Revelo said:
It gets even better when you come up against another Sniper and you start trying to pick each other off, 2 Fort on Team Fortress 2 springs to mind.
Oh god.

People hate snipers because there's little you can do about them. It's the same reason why stuns don't belong in shooter games - being helpless is lame. Also, they're usually the worst teamplayers in any game.

DeadMan117 said:
For those who complain about it being unfair to not give you a chance: Umm, i could just as easily have snuck up behind you, or simply have seen you first, thus not giving you a chance to fire back. just because i did it with a sniper rifle instead of an assault rifle doesnt make me any better or worse.
When I get backstabbed by a spy, I feel like I could've been more cautious and aware.
When I get killed by a sniper, I feel helpless to have prevented it.

Also, "Just as easily"?

Sneaking into an enemy base is "Just as easy" as taking a few steps from spawn, then pointing and clicking?

KamachoMcSagget

Mar 22, 2009
most snipers i've seen are dead weight because they stay in the same spot dispite the fact that no one's around and refuse to do anything else

science girl

Jun 1, 2010
If someone is good at sniping and I've seen some really impressive kills like jumping off buildings firing at there target and kills without the aid of a scope and still killing a guy at the other end of the map and that requires some skill. Snipers do move around in the game.As they say in fps it's kill or be killed :)

Fraeir

Sep 22, 2008
I don't mind the camping, so much as I mind the fact that I'm being systematically killed over and over by that I cannot see.

And any sniper who use any version of the Barrett .50 Cal... Do us all a favour, poke the barrel into your rear, and pull the trigger. If you survive, please use a real sniper which isn't as cowardly.

(Specifically referring to the last unlockable sniper in CoD4 and BF:BC2)

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
The very nature of a sniper is to strike unseen. This obviously angers people! No one likes being killed by someone they can't see.

Teams aren't defenceless against a sniper of course, in fact, being unable to deal with snipers is almost always a sign that a team usually isn't working together as well as it should be!

Hangaround

Jul 8, 2010
In today's games snipers run around with the ability to quick-scope and engage in combat with normal soldiers from a distance that dictates a sure loss if we look on it from a realistic perspective - i myself can't stand it.

In Modern Warfare and BC2 the 50 cal. Barret is so mobile that it can be used standing without any problems to aim and kill people, and in the MoH beta all snipers starts with red-dot sights instead of an actual scope. It feel like the sniper class in games have lost touch with what a sniper really is. Games often allow for snipers too abandon stealth and precision for fast-paced action with short-range scopes (4x or acog) which allows those who play as snipers to engage in combat like any other unit. This in itself isn't all that bad, but with mw2's unrealistic perks and bc2's fully automatic sniper it gives them advantages i don't think the snipers should have - and wouldn't in a realistic setting.

By doing so i think the developers have created a hybrid class that doesn't serve the purpose of being a real sniper. I can only guess, but i think they've done so because people think playing as a sniper is cool, but they don't want to play like a real sniper because it isn't fast paced - it's a lot of finding good spots and shooting enemies from a distance where you yourself is difficult to see. So in order to satisfy the players who want a ghillie suit they gave the snipers short-range scopes and told them they could play alongside the assaults at the front line.

The only solution to this(as i see it) would be to deny snipers the ability to have anything, but classic sniper rifles and making aiming difficult so that fewer people would play as the class. Only then can you have a realistic balance and not the bullcrap i see when half of my squad is snipers even though that i need medics and assaults.

So no, they don't get a bad rap. Developers have made it possible for them to be something they're not.

Chogg Van Helsing

May 27, 2010
scoober1111 said:
they do get a bad rep. i once play COD MW2 was walking around a building a looked out a window and saw someone. so i aimed and shot and got 2 kills with the shot. right after shooting them i took off, went behind a box and aimed at the window i was looking through, and what a surprise the 2 dudes where at the window. so i got them and then was reported for hacking and they voted me a bad sport and put my XBL rep down. thats why i hate shit players who hate snipers, and they do get a bad name because of all of the " Pants on head retarded " players who just happen to walk in front of you and wave there hollow skulls at you begging to be shot.

they do get a bad rep and people that complain about them are assholes
that sucks for you, man!
Grunt 1: Hmm, this window is unoccupied, lets stand in it.
Grunt 2: Yup, ok boss.

*BANGBANG*

Grunt 1: FUCKING SNIPER!
Grunt 2: Yup, you said it boss.
Grunt 1: Lets go stand at the same window. No way could it happen again

*BANG BANG*

Grunt 1: That dude must be hacking, no way could he kill us in the exact same open location again!
Grunt 2: Yup, you said it boss. Fucking sniper's always cheat boss.
Grunt 1: Yes they do. Now shut up you fool.

twasdfzxcv

Mar 30, 2010
Problem with sniping is that it is never properly balanced in most game. There's not enough handicap for using the sniping rifle, high power high accuracy over long distance, making it over powerful most of the time.

Several ways to balance it. Bullet drop off over distance, wind condition and the need to hold breath to increase accuracy are a good start, but not enough to balance it. Getting in and out of scoping should take several seconds and shouldn't be able to fire the weapon during that time, which would remove quick scope issue. Making the scope only usable during crouching and laying down also works too. All in all, several obvious ways to balance the game but too many whiners opposing any changes.

chaos order

Jan 27, 2010
i think the main problem ppl have with snipers is becaise there is no "anti class" theres no class that is specifically good against snipers, except for other snipers. and ppl who have problems with snipers arent good at it, therefore they cant solve their own problems...

TraderJimmy

Apr 17, 2010
Pyre00 said:
Revelo said:
It gets even better when you come up against another Sniper and you start trying to pick each other off, 2 Fort on Team Fortress 2 springs to mind.
Oh god.

People hate snipers because there's little you can do about them. It's the same reason why stuns don't belong in shooter games - being helpless is lame. Also, they're usually the worst teamplayers in any game.

DeadMan117 said:
For those who complain about it being unfair to not give you a chance: Umm, i could just as easily have snuck up behind you, or simply have seen you first, thus not giving you a chance to fire back. just because i did it with a sniper rifle instead of an assault rifle doesnt make me any better or worse.
When I get backstabbed by a spy, I feel like I could've been more cautious and aware.
When I get killed by a sniper, I feel helpless to have prevented it.

Also, "Just as easily"?

Sneaking into an enemy base is "Just as easy" as taking a few steps from spawn, then pointing and clicking?
You need to play less 2fort. Few steps from spawn? Pssht. 5CP, people. 5CP. Also, note he said nothing about spy. Many people here are in fact not talking about TF2, and there is no assault rifle in the game.

Sniper is one of the most easily countered classes EVEN at the highest skill levels in TF2. Watch a clip of say, Carnage sniping on the 6v9 SPUF pubs vs pros event. Those pubbers don't have perfect movement, but they have good movement, and it's enough to thwart one of the best Snipers there is (exaggerating a little, but he's certainly amazingly good). He misses a hell of a lot of shots, considering his reputation.

I agree Sniper doesn't help the team much, often, in pubs. Nor does spy, generally - both are very easily abusable classes against new opposition, but get much higher as your opponents get more aware and jumpy.

What I hate is 'career snipers' who refuse to play in any other way, but that's more a lack of understanding how it could possibly be fun, or even useful, to be so inflexible.

Hangaround

Jul 8, 2010
chaos order said:
i think the main problem ppl have with snipers is becaise there is no "anti class" theres no class that is specifically good against snipers, except for other snipers. and ppl who have problems with snipers arent good at it, therefore they cant solve their own problems...
I'm a decent sniper, not the best, but i can kill people that way too in most games. It's also most of the times easy to counter snipers with normal rifles, especially as they never do what snipers are supposed to. They're always jumping around the frontlines. So there's no need for an anti-class, which isn't much of a problem because no class has it's anti class. You have items that only are good in certain scenarios and items to counter each other, but not classes like in an rpg.

TG MLPDashie

Apr 9, 2010
KEM10 said:
scoober1111 said:
they do get a bad rep. i once play COD MW2 was walking around a building a looked out a window and saw someone. so i aimed and shot and got 2 kills with the shot. right after shooting them i took off, went behind a box and aimed at the window i was looking through, and what a surprise the 2 dudes where at the window.
This, sir, is how real sniping works. I am impressed that someone else out there has the knowledge of never shooting from the same place twice. Cheers
thank you, and its because if you snipe someone they'll go to where you are and try to get u, stay to long and people avoid where ur aiming and thats also known as camping.

TG MLPDashie

Apr 9, 2010
Chogg Van Helsing said:
scoober1111 said:
they do get a bad rep. i once play COD MW2 was walking around a building a looked out a window and saw someone. so i aimed and shot and got 2 kills with the shot. right after shooting them i took off, went behind a box and aimed at the window i was looking through, and what a surprise the 2 dudes where at the window. so i got them and then was reported for hacking and they voted me a bad sport and put my XBL rep down. thats why i hate shit players who hate snipers, and they do get a bad name because of all of the " Pants on head retarded " players who just happen to walk in front of you and wave there hollow skulls at you begging to be shot.

they do get a bad rep and people that complain about them are assholes
that sucks for you, man!
Grunt 1: Hmm, this window is unoccupied, lets stand in it.
Grunt 2: Yup, ok boss.

*BANGBANG*

Grunt 1: FUCKING SNIPER!
Grunt 2: Yup, you said it boss.
Grunt 1: Lets go stand at the same window. No way could it happen again

*BANG BANG*

Grunt 1: That dude must be hacking, no way could he kill us in the exact same open location again!
Grunt 2: Yup, you said it boss. Fucking sniper's always cheat boss.
Grunt 1: Yes they do. Now shut up you fool.
lol funny, but yes they do that all the time and thats why people hate snipers. if someone shoots from there the've prbably gone and are waiting for you to go over there and look for them

Meoith

Jun 18, 2010
Its all good, it just adds more memorable drama to the game, because of that it makes avoiding & killing snipers even more enjoyable.

Its the same with many games with annoying class's, on a certain level we all secretly enjoy hating on a particular group.

Snipers dont have a easy time in rl either.

Scizophrenic Llama

Is in space!
Dec 5, 2007
The only game I've enjoyed sniping on is Bad Company 2. The sniping class is properly named Recon for the fact that it is meant to spot enemies first and fire later. A good recon class can stack up 3000 points easily if they do it right and don't need to fire a single shot.

Beyond that it isn't completely a point and click setup as you do have to account for bullet drop to an extent and time your shots properly for moving targets.

maturin

Jul 20, 2010
Alon Shechter said:
I once played as a sniper on ArmA 2 : OA and some dude was angry at me for it.
Since that day , I never took the sniper-haters seriously.
Complaining about snipers in Arma 2? That guy is the lowest life form on the planet.