Sniping is officially WORTHLESS in Black Ops

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
When you scope in and shoot with a sniper rifle, the bullet will not go where you are aiming unless you WAIT 2 to 3 seconds to shoot after you scope in.

I don't understand why people support a game where one of the developers completely breaks a legitimate play style in a game just because he's a noob.

"Quickscoping is a cheap way to play. We?re specifically going to gimp Quickscoping, sorry. Play straight-up!" - Josh Olin

1) The correct term is NERF not gimp
2) Quickscoping is only cheap AT TIMES because of the poorly coded aim assist
3) Even with the poorly coded aim assist, quickscoping wasn't even overpowered, ARing and SMGing would beat quickscoping most of the time.
4) Don't be lazy (and break a play style); properly code aim assist but I guess that's too hard

The most important thing for competitive online gaming is balance among classes and play styles. Why buy and play a game where the developer purposefully makes the game unbalanced?

EDIT: Stop using the "in real life" argument for being in favor of what Treyarch has done. In real life, you can't aim and shoot at a moving target at medium range and be successful. In real life, you have to stop, and take a few seconds to properly line up a shot with an assault rifle as well. Why should sniping adhere to real life while using an assault rifle and other guns don't adhere to real life?

EDIT #2: Stop telling me to go back to MW2. I only played MW2 for a few hours at my cousin's place and saw how broken it was so I never even considered buying it. The only CoD game I've ever purchased was CoD4. I don't like buying the same game every year. Furthermore, I don't snipe in any game online game I play because I'm a crap sniper.

This is not even all about quickscoping, it's about sniping. Now when you are sniping from a normal sniper's position and you see someone in the open and aim at them, you have to wait a second or so to shoot at them so the bullet actually goes where you aimed.

Edit #3: This is a more detail description of why Treyarch's solution to quickscoping is bullshit. You can't play online and snipe like a real sniper does in real life. Pulling knives and grenades out your ass while you are holding a 2 handed weapon is also not close to real life either, neither is the ability to quickly and accurately aim an assault rifle and said assault rifle has like no recoil in the game either. So, please stop saying CoD is going for any kind of realism because it's just not at all attempting it. CoD is trying to be a fun and fast-paced shooter (fun and fast-paced shooting does not happen in real life), and real sniping is not fun at all for the normal person (only like hardcore military snipers probably get any enjoyment out of sniping as it's something that takes a lot of patience, very specific knowledge, and great skill)

deth2munkies said:
The first page is by and large ignorant comments so I'll address mainly that issue:

The problem is that Call of Duty as a series (at least in most multiplayer modes) is not based around camping and the maps typically don't provide very many good sniper perches. Even when you get a good sniper perch, you can't sit there hard scoped all day or you'll get knifed, shot by some guy 2 feet outside your field of vision, or miss tons and tons of potential kills.

Quickscoping is different than a short hardscope: Quickscoping abused aim-assist, and if you watch videos of people doing it, you'll see the hardscope doesn't even come up on the screen, it just shows it zooming in and the guy is dead before he's even scoped. There is NOTHING wrong with Hardscoping then immediately shooting where you're fucking aiming, it's necessary for a sniper no matter how far back you are due to the sheer fact you can't sit there hardscoped in CoD, it's just not worth it. (Edit: Unless you have a thermal, but that shit is even more broken than quickscoping ever was)

Congratulations on breaking the game with your overnerf on what wasn't a huge problem in the first place. Now fix your goddamn killstreaks and get better anti-hack software.

b3nn3tt

May 11, 2010
So it's not actually worthless, it's just going to be more realistic? I'm pretty sure that in real life snipers don't go around quickscoping

KingTiger

Nov 6, 2009
They should make the sniping like TF2 to prevent quick scoping and unbalanced snipers.

BeeRye

Mar 4, 2009
If you were ever looking for balanced online gameplay you came to the wrong game. Every CoD has needed a Promod just to get into any sort of condition where it's considered playable competitively. Back to 1.6 if you're looking for quickscoping.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
b3nn3tt said:
So it's not actually worthless, it's just going to be more realistic? I'm pretty sure that in real life snipers don't go around quickscoping
CoD isn't trying to be a realistic game. I'm pretty sure in real life you don't pull out your knife and knife someone when you have your gun already out and you can shoot him.

BeeRye said:
If you were ever looking for balanced online gameplay you came to the wrong game. Every CoD has needed a Promod just to get into any sort of condition where it's considered playable competitively. Back to 1.6 if you're looking for quickscoping.
Well, the dev should at least try to balance gameplay instead of purposefully doing the opposite just because someone on the dev team is a noob.

garfoldsomeoneelse

Charming, But Stupid
Mar 22, 2009
Good riddance. Do you know how many times I've been one-shotted by an M40+ACOG at point blank range today before I could get a second shot off with my MP5? Today alone, it's been somewhere between ten and fifteen. Oh, and let me preempt the "lrn2play": I average around 30-10 per game, regardless of play mode. Quick-scoping is bullshit, it breaks the balance of the game by giving a player the ability to score a one-hit-kill at any range without having to aim for the head.

DJDarque

Words
Aug 24, 2009
I've played MW2 quite a bit and this is the first I've ever heard of quickscoping. No wonder I'm so terrible with the sniper rifle.

Flauros

Mar 2, 2010
SODAssault said:
Good riddance. Do you know how many times I've been one-shotted by an M40+ACOG at point blank range today before I could get a second shot off with my MP5? Today alone, it's been somewhere between ten and fifteen. Oh, and let me preempt the "lrn2play": I average around 30-10 per game, regardless of play mode. Quick-scoping is bullshit, it breaks the balance of the game by giving a player the ability to score a one-hit-kill at any range without having to aim for the head.
You should listen to this guy. He is wise.

Timmey

May 29, 2010
''camp at the back of the map being a ***** ass sniper'' he means camp at the back of the map being a normal sniper...

Merkavar

Aug 21, 2010
i think this is one of the best features of the new cod. snipers are not meant to use them like assualt rifles. (i wrote that slowly to emphasis my words, can you tell) they are meant to find a spot and snipe. funny that a sniper having to snipe instead of expecting there assualt riffly to be a 1 shot kill and 100% accurate.

why are you blaming aim assist. does the pc have aim assist?

EvilMaggot

Sep 18, 2008
well... in BFBC2 the biggest anoyance about the snipers is the full automatic snipers they use them for close combat and long range... now thats anoying ;) i prefer the bolt action.. takes more skill :p

saw the vid... omg what a freaking whiner -.-

JokerCrowe

Nov 12, 2009
Honestly I think this is a good thing. Sniper Rifles have always been between a rock and a hard place in videogames like this. If you use the rifle like you're supposed to, i.e. you sit in one place and carefully pick off enemies, you get booted(/people whining) for camping. On the other hand if you quickscope, which is pretty much the exact OPPOSITE of camping, (using the sniper) you get kicked(/more whining) for quickscoping.

But I will agree that having to wait 2-3 bloody seconds before being allowed to shoot is a bit unnecessary. 1-2 would be enough. I think people should think really long and hard about how to play the Sniper class in games like this. I just think that you shouldn't use it as a bloody shotgun.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
SODAssault said:
Quickscopers don't go 30-10 so what are you complaining about? Nothing wrong with quickscoping since it takes aim and skill, the aim assist is poorly coded. Isn't giving snipers the ability to kill at close range in one hit part of making it balanced? Because if you it took more than one shot or a head shot (that would just take too much skill) to kill, then a sniper has no chance up close against an automatic gun.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
On one hand: I f***ing hate quickscopers. If you want to kill me at point-blank or medium range, use a gun that is suited for said ranges. Sniper rifles are meant for long range! MW2 was particularly bad with this, making it so that with the right perk, all they had to do was be facing my general direction.

On the other hand: With the exception of MW2, I can respect the skill it takes to learn how to quickscope. I've tried to do it, and it is hard, except for MW2. It must have taken time to learn how to do it consistantly. I don't like it, but I respect it. And 2-3 seconds seems a bit much. Maybe 1 second or possibly 2.

On yet another hand: Unfortunately, this will probably lead to more campers. Like quickscopers, I can respect the tactic. But while I hate quickscopers, I DESPISE campers. Yes, most real-life snipers camp, but most people won't be willing to part with sniper rifles, and will just resort to camping. And one of my biggest peeves in all of gaming is a team with multiple campers. 1 is fine, but annoying. Once you get past that, though, it gets REALLY annoying. I just pray there are more anti-sniper measures in Black Ops, because in MW2, if a sniper got into a good spot, you were almost powerless against them.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Merkavar said:
i think this is one of the best features of the new cod. snipers are not meant to use them like assualt rifles. (i wrote that slowly to emphasis my words, can you tell) they are meant to find a spot and snipe. funny that a sniper having to snipe instead of expecting there assualt riffly to be a 1 shot kill and 100% accurate.
The sniper rifles aren't automatic so how can you use it like a AR? Any automatic gun from close to mid range has a huge advantage over a sniper if you both see each other at the same time. If you get killed by the sniper in that situation, just tip your hat to him because he hit you with his one chance.

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
Gotta agree with the majority here, doesn't sound like a bad thing. Snipers are not meant to be used that way IRL...in fact, they should never be used that way. As for gameplay reasons, it helps to make the Sniper something different than just a high-power, low rate-of-fire rifle. I may be the minority when it comes to this, but I personally much prefer sniping to be a role of its own and not just a weapon choice, which is what this seems to be encouraging.