Sniping is officially WORTHLESS in Black Ops

DJDarque

Words
Aug 24, 2009
I didn't realize finding a spot away from the action and waiting patiently was considered being a "*****-ass" sniper. Like I said earlier, I've never heard of quickscoping before this post and let me say, I'm glad it's gone. I don't consider it gimping the class if it's something a normal sniper wouldn't be able to do anyway. Like others have said: a sniper rifle isn't an assault rifle and being able to use it like one is a cheap tactic.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
Good. Now you play like a real sniper would. Just like it should always have been.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
LawlessSquirrel said:
Gotta agree with the majority here, doesn't sound like a bad thing. Snipers are not meant to be used that way IRL...in fact, they should never be used that way. As for gameplay reasons, it helps to make the Sniper something different than just a high-power, low rate-of-fire rifle. I may be the minority when it comes to this, but I personally much prefer sniping to be a role of its own and not just a weapon choice, which is what this seems to be encouraging.
CoD is not a realistic shooter. Why make one play style realistic when none of the other play styles are realistic?

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
OP The game isn't unbalanced because they fixed sniper rifles, sniper rifles are for LONG RANGE not this up close nonsense. If you want to run around one shotting people at close range there's already a gun for that, it's called a shotgun.

You know that gun that everyone whines about is overpowered because it one shots you at close range even though there's no range to them (which is the balanced).

Honestly sniper rifles should be low damage up close so this quick scoping nonsense isn't an issue and keep shotguns one hit within range.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Zing said:
Good. Now you play like a real sniper would. Just like it should always have been.
If in real life, if a sniper could aim as fast as in a game, his bullet wouldn't randomly go 5 feet from where he aimed. Every gun can be aimed quicker in a video game (especially on a PC with a mouse) than in real life.

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
Phoenixmgs said:
Because if you it took more than one shot or a head shot (that would just take too much skill) to kill, then a sniper has no chance up close against an automatic gun.
sniper rifles are meant to be crap in close range that is why we have shotguns simple rule:
close range: shotgun (or maybe a smg)
medium range: assault rifle
LONG range: sniper rifle
when your game makes shotguns worse then sniper rifles at close range then you have a unbalanced gun. also I use a sniper in a lot of games and head-shots don't take too much skill except maybe in tf2 then they normally are harder.

garfoldsomeoneelse

Charming, But Stupid
Mar 22, 2009
Phoenixmgs said:
SODAssault said:
Good riddance. Do you know how many times I've been one-shotted by an M40+ACOG at point blank range today before I could get a second shot off with my MP5? Today alone, it's been somewhere between ten and fifteen. Oh, and let me preempt the "lrn2play": I average around 30-10 per game, regardless of play mode. Quick-scoping is bullshit, it breaks the balance of the game by giving a player the ability to score a one-hit-kill at any range without having to aim for the head.
Quickscopers don't go 30-10 so what are you complaining about? Nothing wrong with quickscoping since it takes aim and skill, the aim assist is poorly coded. Isn't giving snipers the ability to kill at close range in one hit part of making it balanced? Because if you it took more than one shot or a head shot (that would just take too much skill) to kill, then a sniper has no chance up close against an automatic gun.
Two words, and listen carefully:
-Sidearm
-Overkill

Those were put in the game to give snipers a chance at close range, and I think even that's a bit too much of a concession. See, there's such a thing as a tradeoff: a guy with a shotgun can nail you in one shot at close range, but it only shoots so far, and he's at the mercy of everyone carrying a weapon with a rifled barrel; he has a maximum range of usefulness, and he willingly accepts that in exchange for the hell he can raise in a building. A guy with an assault rifle is going to be okay at any range, but will only dominate at intermediate ranges; he's still vulnerable to SMGs and shotguns up close, and vulnerable to snipers at a distance. A guy with an LMG is going to be slow and ponderous, and will make an easy target when doing anything other than squeezing the crap out of the trigger. A guy with a sub-machine gun will be fast, agile, and very good in close quarters, like the shotgunner, and while able to kill enemies at a distance, he'll generally be shit at it and will probably need his enemy to be so interested in whatever's in his scope that he won't notice the 9mm bullets plunking into him one by one; he'll also still get owned by the shotgunner up close.

A sniper, on the other hand, can nail you from across the map, but instead of being the polar opposite of the shotgunner, he can kill you in one shot at any range while jumping around like a lunatic. Tell me, where's the tradeoff? Where's the penalty for being able to reach out and touch someone at ranges where the damage dropoff on assault rifles causes kills to require a third of a magazines? There isn't one, and that's why it's bollocks.

LadyRhian

May 13, 2010
OMG, you mean they are making snipers play like actual snipers? WTG, them! If you choose to play a sniper, you should actually snipe, not run and gun. And don't you get backup weapons anyway? Time to run and gun with the backup weapon and not your sniper rifle. If a real-life sniper tried that, he'd be dead.

I think if you want to play a sniper, you should choose maps that give you a shot at long-range tactical combat. not vanishingly tiny maps that have no chance for you to actually be a sniper. If you choose to play a class/role that is contraindicated by the map you are playing on, you have made a bad choice and deserve to die.

ForensicYOYO

Jun 12, 2010
b3nn3tt said:
So it's not actually worthless, it's just going to be more realistic? I'm pretty sure that in real life snipers don't go around quickscoping
In real life. Tell me who wants their games to be just like real life? Isn't the whole point in gaming to be able to do and experience things unrealistic? If Assassins Creed 2 were realistic Ezios ass would not be able to pull himself up with a fingertip of ledge and would have fallen and died game over. Reality needs to stand far clear from games as long as im concerned.

Naked_Snake

Jul 29, 2010
Yeah, sorry, but as a light machine gunner in MW2 I don't support quickscoping at all. So stop bitching and learn to snipe correctly. Because I'm tired of quickscopers beating my RPD to the punch from 6 yards away.

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
Phoenixmgs said:
LawlessSquirrel said:
Gotta agree with the majority here, doesn't sound like a bad thing. Snipers are not meant to be used that way IRL...in fact, they should never be used that way. As for gameplay reasons, it helps to make the Sniper something different than just a high-power, low rate-of-fire rifle. I may be the minority when it comes to this, but I personally much prefer sniping to be a role of its own and not just a weapon choice, which is what this seems to be encouraging.
CoD is not a realistic shooter. Why make one play style realistic when none of the other play styles are realistic?
That is true, it's not a realistic shooter, but it makes sense to make the change for purely gameplay purposes, such as to use Sniping as it's own role as I said above. Both the quickscoping and 'true sniping' types of gameplay have their own benefits, but in most cases the former ends up as just being a different form of rifle with little impact on game style.

There are arguments for both sides, but my personal preference is for Sniping as a role.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Snotnarok said:
OP The game isn't unbalanced because they fixed sniper rifles, sniper rifles are for LONG RANGE not this up close nonsense. If you want to run around one shotting people at close range there's already a gun for that, it's called a shotgun.
I don't snipe in any shooter because I suck at it. But snipers should have the ability to have one shot at winning a close range battle, with an automatic gun you have like 10 shots to kill compared to a sniper. Now snipers have that ONE SHOT but now it's just plain luck based with no skill; How is that an improvement?

Firetaffer

May 9, 2010
It's called Changing a game mechanic.

If you enjoy MW2, you can go ahead and play it, I'm sure they'll still be plenty of servers about. If Black Op's removed quick-scoping, it's trying to get customers from a slightly different market, and there's nothing wrong with that.

CS and CSS
L4D and L4D2

Slightly different mechanics in both games, yet they're very similar, players choose which one fits their play-style, and appeals to them more (Smoother gameplay, better graphics, faster action). The same can be applied for the Modern Warfare's and Black Ops.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Phoenixmgs said:
Snotnarok said:
I don't snipe in any shooter because I suck at it. But snipers should have the ability to have one shot at winning a close range battle, with an automatic gun you have like 10 shots to kill compared to a sniper. Now snipers have that ONE SHOT but know it's just plain luck based with no skill; How is that an improvement?
You're supposed to be shooting at long range, if someone gets close you rely on your secondary weapon. It's nonsense that you can kill in ONE bullet at long range and then ONE close range.

See with a shotgun you get to kill people close range but when someone spots you at long range you're at disadvantage.

That's how it works you pick long range you're good at long but suck at short. You can't have it all in one package

MattRooney06

Apr 15, 2009
Quickscoping is pretty cheap (along with many other things I know)

personally I like the fact they've nerfed it completely.....it means people actually have to aim with the weapon thats often a one hit kill.....

I got so pissed of when somone would be running around with the sniper noscoping me and constantly getting that noscope

Plus its funny to listen to all the people who clearly cant snipe *****, moan and complain about how "its been changed and now we have to actually play the game"

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Firetaffer said:

If you enjoy MW2, you can go ahead and play it, I'm sure they'll still be plenty of servers about. If Black Op's removed quick-scoping, it's trying to get customers from a slightly different market, and there's nothing wrong with that.
Why change a game mechanic to make it luck-based instead of skill-based? I'll take skill-based over luck-based any day. If I get killed by someone, I would at least like them to be aiming at me. I hate MW2 and barely played it, I like balance in my online multiplayer games. If a game fails on accomplishing that, then I don't play it. I want it to be my skill vs someone else's skill; I don't want to get killed because the enemy was lucky or get killed because the enemy was using something overpowered.

Omega V

Apr 21, 2010
here is my opinion: if your using a sniper and shooting at targets that could be hit with any other weapon, you are doing it fucking wrong. I dont care how "unrealistic" the game is supposed to be, using any sniper class weapon the way the narrator in the video attempts to do is just not possible.

Firetaffer

May 9, 2010
Phoenixmgs said:
Firetaffer said:

Why change a game mechanic to make it luck-based instead of skill-based? I'll take skill-based over luck-based any day. If I get killed by someone, I would at least like them to be aiming at me. I hate MW2 and barely played it, I like balance in my online multiplayer games. If a game fails on accomplishing that, then I don't play it. I want it to be my skill vs someone else's skill; I don't want to get killed because the enemy was lucky or get killed because the enemy was using something overpowered.
The weapon is still skill-based, just that the intent is on hard scoping now instead of quick scoping. It even states in the video that it takes 2 to 3 seconds to be able to aim perfectly. Nothing at all wrong with that, just use a different weapon.

If Team Fortress 2 added another set of boxing gloves that fire fireballs for the heavy, and at first they could hurt people at extremely long ranges, even when they were designed for short-range use. VALVe than adds a minor update that gives the weapon a slight randomizer the longer the range is. Would you continue trying to use it at long range complaining that it's broken? You might not have played TF2 so don't understand the analogy. But what I'm trying to get out is that the roles of the sniper have changed, consider it a totally different weapon, and that they removed the old sniper.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
I have to agree with a lot of the people here. And it's a good thing.

Why the whinning that you cant quickscoop? Last time i checked sniper rifle's were for long range.

MrDeckard said:
OH GOD NO!!!!!!

Are you saying that sniper rifles will now have to be used......... AS SNIPER RIFLES???

What is the world coming to.
Ohh...WONT SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN?!

We are all doomed!

Erhm...