So a black actor is considering role of Johnny Storm and nerdrage has turned racist again.

puff ball

Mar 14, 2011
am i the only one who would love to see them cast him and then still cast his sister as white and then just not mention it at all in the movie. no throw away lines like, oh this is my half brother/sister or adopted brother/sister just leave the unanswered question hanging.

RootBrewski

Aug 1, 2008
I thought Don Glover should have been seriously considered for the role of Spider-man so I have no problem with this. His Ethnicity is not really part of the character, so in my opinion it shouldn't matter.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Shadowstar38 said:
MrGalactus said:
Shadowstar38 said:
This is not about racism. This is about being accurate to the source material.

Aang, Katara, and Sokka aren't white.

Bane isn't British.

Johnny Storm isn't black.

These are not hard things to avoid fucking up.

Also, Famke Janssen had to die her hair red to play Jean grey. So this would would logically...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whiteface_(performance)

Yeah...fuck no.
But why is it a fuck-up at all? Why does it matter?
Because Johnny is white. In every form of media he's in. What are you not understanding?
Did you hate all the other Marvel movies because Nick Fury is supposed to be white? Because if not, then your argument is incorrect. They redesigned it for Samuel L. Jackson (in the Ultimate universe) specifically and wanted him in the role for the future movies.

But I do think then that Sue Storm should be black too although personally I liked it when Chris Evans played Johnny.

RevRaptor

Mar 10, 2010
One does have to wonder why Jonny. From what I remember the torch is a vain self obsessed party boy. Pretty much the poster child for a rich spoiled white kid. changing his race really doesn?t matter but it still feels kinda off.

Reed Richards on the other hand, now that?s doable and is likely a much better choice if you want to push racial diversity.

check this out:

idris elba

Reed Richards

I'm pretty sure I don't need to explain why that would be awesome :D

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
I wonder why they do it.
I don't really care either way, but I find it odd to imagine a director sitting down and thinking "you know who would fit perfectly as the actor for this particular character? This guy!"
If I were sitting in that conference room, I'd be at least slightly confused.

But I doubt such decisions are made on the whim of a singular person, so there have to be other motives.
I don't know them, though. Propably something involving Marketing.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Granted, in the end the story and acting will make or break a movie. But, the source material is what it is. J Storm is a white guy, no one is saying he cant be black or a black actor isnt capable of playing him, just that Storm is not black in the comics.

Man, i wish a movie company would say "We are remaking Blade, but with a white guy." These same "racist" comic fans will all shout just as loudly that Blade should be played by a black actor because of the source material.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Shadowstar38 said:

Bane isn't British.

Also, Famke Janssen had to die her hair red to play Jean grey. So this would would logically...

Yeah...fuck no.
Genocidicles said:
It's not racism, just wanting the films to stick to the source material. I mean these people bitched when someone's hair colour changed.

It's not always about wanting white characters to stay white either. There was uproar when the Last Airbender made all the formerly Asian and Inuit characters white for no reason as well. You just hear about people complaining about white characters because it happens more often.
This is only a valid argument if said movie takes place in the exact same universe and timeline as the source material, which has never happened with comic book movies. They all been based off of them, or just taken inspiration from them.

Now, let's say that the Marvel Cinematic Universe lost Robert Downey Jr as Tony Stark (which is looking fairly likely), and recast him as a black actor and still claimed it was the same Tony Stark. THAT would call for an uproar, because in the MCU we already have this version of Stark established.

But that's not going on with this Fantastic Four movie, even in regards to the older movies, so the entire argument is moot.

I'd focus more on whether or not it's a good movie. And having a black human torch wouldn't ruin a movie unless they go for the stereotyical Hollywood mistake of trying and failing to write him as "urban".

And Genocidicles, your comparison to Last Airbender doesn't fit the same criteria here. That was straight up white washing, and was racist to such a disgusting degree that anyone with half a brain that knew exactly what was going on would be pissed.

Plus, as stated, the real issue is whether or not the movie will be good, and the Last Airbender was definitively not :p

EDIT: One last thing- the entire argument is just plain silly to begin with. Comic book characters get changed and rebooted and killed and brought back to life/replaced all the damn time.

So just consider this yet another alternate universe. Is that really that hard?

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I don't really care as I've never really been all that into The Fantastic Four. However like others have said unless him being white is central to his character I don't think it really matters if they cast a black man to play the part and as far as I know Johnny Storm being white is not central to his character.

Zef Otter

Nov 28, 2007
I got a good idea to even this out

Johnny: Black
susan: Mexican and in a wheelchair
Reed: Chinese and a muslim
Ben: keep the same but with downs.

See there no can be offended by this everyone gets equal representation.

I'm kidding XD

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Fans don't hate this idea because they are racist. They are not. They hate the idea for the same reason they would hate Blade being played by a white actor. It's about consistency with the comic books for them. I, on the other hand, don't care at all about Fantastic 4.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Zef Otter said:
I got a good idea to even this out

Johnny: Black
susan: Mexican and in a wheelchair
Reed: Chinese and a muslim
Ben: keep the same but with downs.

See there no can be offended by this everyone gets equal representation.

I'm kidding XD
I'm a terrible person...

I just imagined the Thing running around giving everyone hugs.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
My First Thought: ...Who in the world is Johnny Storm?

My Second Thought: Wait, Michael Jordan has an acting career? Isn't he that basketball guy?

My Third Thought: There's going to be a Fantastic Four film reboot?

Needless to say, I think that gives you all my priorities. =P

gjkbgt

May 5, 2013
Hi does any one have access to a statistical breakdown of the ethnicity In marvel comics?
I found one for DC, and the justice league has more Aliens then black members.
You might say it's not relevant but if this is about race preservation in source material, then that only counts as long as the source
isn't it's self racist. If marvel universe is 90% white then you can't argue for race preservation without arguing for white superiority.
If it's a fairer split 70% white fair enough race preservation is purely about source material

Feb 22, 2009
Shadowstar38 said:
MrGalactus said:
Shadowstar38 said:

Bane isn't British.

Yeah...fuck no.
But why is it a fuck-up at all? Why does it matter?
Because Johnny is white. In every form of media he's in. What are you not understanding?
Adaptations change things. A completely faithful adaptation of a comic book series would be terrible, because the two mediums are very different. So things get changed. Unless it completely undermines the spirit of the original comic, it's generally not a bad thing.

DestinyCall

May 5, 2009
The core problem with this whole argument goes back to the original comics. Because comics are a visual medium, long-time comic fans have an established idea of what the different main characters look like, the designs of their costumes, their origin stories and personal history. Although many of these characters have been re-booted and gone through various costume changes and alternate time-line/universe story-lines that played around with changing some of those core concepts, when a comic fan thinks of a specific super hero, he usually has a pretty specific mental image in mind on what that character "should" look like and how he/she should act in order to be as "true" as possible to his origins.

When porting these characters over to a new medium, like cartoons, books, TV, movies, audio-books, or whatever, a fan of the character is going to be looking for a representation of the character that comes as close as possible to the source material while adapting, as needed, to the new media. Sometimes the character is ported over as a very close match and other times the adaption changes quite a bit, without much justification beyond artistic license. Hardcore fans tend to be VERY resistant to any change to an established character because they already appreciate the character in his/her current form. Any change might threaten that appreciation or make the character so different that it might as well be a completely new hero rather than a re-boot of the original. To give a well-known example, Batman has gone through various incarnations over the years, from the campy gadget-using Silver Age Batman of comics-past to the much more sinister and gritty Dark Knight of modern movie fame. If you compare these two versions of Batman side-by-side, there's not much similarity. They could easily be two unrelated heroes, but they are both "Batman".

A lot of the people who complain about changing the race or gender or hair color of a superhero in a movie/tv adaption are not being intentionally racist or sexist or ... um .. hair-colorist? They are protesting what they consider to be an unnecessary alteration of an existing character which might lead to an unfavorable change in the overall image of the character from their personal perspective. If you change one of the character's core features, then you might feel it is no big deal to change another and another ... and another. Eventually, enough things change so that superhero stops being the same character, other than sharing a name. Even if the new version is pretty good and well-received by the movie's general audience, longtime fans will notice the difference and it will bother them - in the same way that people who have read the book a movie is based on often come away from the movie feeling cheated because certain scenes were cut or characters were altered to better fit the screenplay. If you are unfamiliar with the source material or not emotionally-invested in it, then it doesn't matter if Peter Parker works for Daily Bugle as a freelance photographer or if he works for a teen fashion magazine as a freelance writer. Yet to a hardcore fan, it would completely change the character, since Peter taking pictures of himself as Spiderman for extra income was a long-running side story in the comics and some of the movies.

Does it really matter? Probably not.
Does it REALLY matter to a long-time Spiderman fan? Hell yes.

Catie Caraco

Jun 27, 2011
thaluikhain said:
MrGalactus said:
Not entirely sure what you mean on this one. You mean casting actors of one race for a movie based around the lives of people of another race?
I mean if movies in general are dominated by one race, then changing a character of an under-represented race into the over-represented race might not be the best of ideas.
Are you referring to 'white washing'? The best example I can throw out is how Katara and Sokka in the abysmal live action The Last Airbender movie were played by blonde haired blue eyed very white actors when the characters were supposed to be Inuits. Cause yeah, that's a crappy thing.

As for the O.P. - I am not a big comic book buff though I like them well enough. I've really enjoyed the Marvel movies and several other superhero movies, but most of what I know of their source material comes from Movie Bob's videos. That being said, I really fail to see how changing the race of this character is going to matter one bit as long as the characterization is sound. I saw this actor in Chronicle, which was UH-MAZING!, and I look forward to seeing him in more things.

I was briefly surprised by Idris Elba as Heimdall but more because I have a deep love of mythology, Norse being one of my favorites. But in the end it didn't harm anything and didn't detract from my enjoyment of Thor. I can't expect the Ancient Norse to have a multi-ethnic pantheon, but in this modern society there is nothing wrong with toying with source material to be more inclusive. We live in a much more inclusive society than the Vikings, after all.

Edit: I really, REALLY can't wait to hear Movie Bob's take on this. I really can't.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
On the one I hand I think I'd be upset if someone changed an aspect of a character that I thought was central to them.
On the other hand I think that we're kind of limiting the potential of any adaptations if never let whoever is making them exercise their own artistic vision.

If whoever is making this reboot feels they can do something interesting by altering some things then that's fine by me. I don't think Johnny Storm being white was central to his character.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
MrGalactus said:
So yeah,
http://www.thewrap.com/movies/column-post/will-chronicle-star-michael-b-jordan-be-human-torch-fantastic-four-88881
Michael B Jordan is considering being The Human Torch in the Fantastic Four reboot. Frankly, I think there's no problem here at all. A role, as far as I'm concerned, has nothing to do with the look of the character, but how well the actor can capture or interpret the character, but the comic book community is complaining all over the internet. Seriously, check the comments. It's not good stuff.

What does the Escapist make of this? Do you guys care about the race of a character in an adaptation?
The fact their rebooting movies that aren't that old is rather pethetic, seriously is that all hollywood is going to do keep making Iron Man, Fantastic Four, Batman and a few other movies 'rebooted' every 5-10 years? Thats the biggest disgrace.