Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
2017: Year of the Witch Hunt.

If they did the stuff? Fuck 'em.

If they didn't? Fuck the person who lied.

Mainly, people need to lay off the pitchfork and torch routine. "Innocent until proven guilty" is a thing for a very good reason.

But, hey. "Listen and believe," right?

I swear, it's like people have never been accused of something they haven't done before.

djl3485 said:
Al Franken is now accused, with the accuser providing photographic evidence.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/woman-accuses-al-franken-of-kissing-groping-her-without-consent/ar-BBF2Snk
He's clearly not touching her in that photo. Hoverhanding it, yes.

Inappropriate, sure. But groping? Yeah, no.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Asuka Langley said:
If we're talking sexual abuse, can we bring up the sexual misconduct recently brought up from IGN's offices? Apparently HR and Higher Management dismissed a woman who came to them last year with complaints about one of their now ex-writers sexually harassing them and they all dismissed it telling her to pick better friends?
From what I saw, most the writers walked until management gets its collective head out of their ass.

And good on them.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
LostGryphon said:

Year of the Witch Hunt? I dont even think this has been as bad as episode in very recent memory. GG for one. Charlotteville, a few months ago. Unfortunately, by the time anything gets to a court, its been months and the public has already decided.

LostGryphon said:
You know the reason why 'listen and believe' is a thing? It's becuase the police done fucked up. For a long time. We are getting people that are charged and put in prison from incidents decades ago becuase the police didnt do their job.

This tells the police to do their job. All the accusations by the public around these rape accusations actually have nothign to do with 'listen and believe.' It's people not understanding innocent til proven guilty.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
LostGryphon said:

Mainly, people need to lay off the pitchfork and torch routine. "Innocent until proven guilty" is a thing for a very good reason.

I swear, it's like people have never been accused of something they haven't done before.

djl3485 said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/woman-accuses-al-franken-of-kissing-groping-her-without-consent/ar-BBF2Snk

You say "If they did the stuff? Fuck 'em" as if you care about actually punishing them, but uh, you have to actually punish them to punish them. But no one was doing anything to do that. Now that people actually are pushing to get them punished, you seem bothered by it.

The problem is all the people who have been getting away with it and no one doing anything about it.

But hey, Trump became President even after this:

http://people.com/politics/every-sexual-assault-accusation-against-donald-trump/

You want to know what feminists are talking about when they complain about 'the patriarchy' and 'rape culture'? Its Donald "Grab em by the Pussy" Trump becoming President AFTER getting revealed as a sexual assaulter.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
LostGryphon said:

djl3485 said:

I really wish people would stop calling this a witch hunt. There weren't any actual witches in Salem (despite what the movies and tv shows will tell you) but there is rampant problem of men in Hollywood having sexually inaspropriate behaviour that has been going unpunished.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I really hope some of these aren't true, because I like some of their material...but if it is?
Let 'em hang.

Q: How you tell the difference between a Democrat and a Republican?
A: A Democrat would rather vote for a Republican than a pedophile. A Republican would rather vote for a pedophile than a Democrat.

D:

Jamcie Kerbizz

Feb 27, 2013
It's all part of growing up.
Amazing that large part of recent 'western' generation skipped the part, in which adults learn, that moral relativism is bad and principles are good but they are two edged sword. If you have them it's good for you, because you know what to do and others know what to expect from you. If you only pretend that you have them, others will eventually use that as a rope to hang you with.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Jamcie Kerbizz said:
It's all part of growing up.
Amazing that large part of recent 'western' generation skipped the part, in which adults learn, that moral relativism is bad and principles are good but they are two edged sword. If you have them it's good for you, because you know what to do and others know what to expect from you. If you only pretend that you have them, others will eventually use that as a rope to hang you with.
You do realize that most of the people that have these allegations coming out against them are at least 40-45? We're talking baby boomers and gen x that are involved in this nonsense. WTF are you going on about?

Asuka Langley

Nov 15, 2017
altnameJag said:
Asuka Langley said:
If we're talking sexual abuse, can we bring up the sexual misconduct recently brought up from IGN's offices? Apparently HR and Higher Management dismissed a woman who came to them last year with complaints about one of their now ex-writers sexually harassing them and they all dismissed it telling her to pick better friends?
From what I saw, most the writers walked until management gets its collective head out of their ass.

And good on them.
Slightly late response

slightly

But I saw they pieced together an apology on Twitter - talking about the staff not the actual management - to the actual woman and they seemed quick to say "Oh we didn't go to PR for this" rather than saying something in the tweet that looked sincere and not a cover up for y'know running to pr

Also - not sure if this is a touchy term here that'll get me banned but hey ho - aren't a majority of the people getting outed in the video game industry for being sex offenders and such the ones who claimed gamers are all misogynists and see women as objects during gamergate?

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Asuka Langley said:
But I saw they pieced together an apology on Twitter - talking about the staff not the actual management - to the actual woman and they seemed quick to say "Oh we didn't go to PR for this" rather than saying something in the tweet that looked sincere and not a cover up for y'know running to pr

Also - not sure if this is a touchy term here that'll get me banned but hey ho - aren't a majority of the people getting outed in the video game industry for being sex offenders and such the ones who claimed gamers are all misogynists and see women as objects during gamergate?
Dunno. Nobody trustworthy gathers stats on that.

Something that might be skewing perceptions is that the big folks in GG were already out as sexual harassers or the like. Like, what are you gonna reveal, that PressFart is a creepy stalker?

Asuka Langley

Nov 15, 2017
altnameJag said:
Asuka Langley said:

Something that might be skewing perceptions is that the big folks in GG were already out as sexual harassers or the like. Like, what are you gonna reveal, that PressFart is a creepy stalker?
TBF GG is still big on twitter if you know where to look, Zoey Quinn monestizing on it - very badly with crappy sales - with her "survivor story" biography, though I did find the list if you want to take a pander and laugh at the pit of self-destruction that is

Source: https://twitter.com/i/moments/851713200537993216?lang=en

Saw somebody also tried to pin something on Jim Sterling a while back over a three year old destructoid podcast - iirc it was the GameJournolit account - where him and the hosts were made out to seem like they were talking about "c*** destroying" an underage girl who'd tweeted at one of them - in fact it was Jim himself who seemed to target the 15 year old in this context if anything - when in fact they were originally laughing at the fact the term "c***destroying" was used. (Keep in mind that personally I think this being intentional abuse is more than a bit of a stretch)

Source: https://twitter.com/GameJournoLit/status/921433446576263168

Looking at it nowadays a lot of sexual misconduct has been thrown about in all lengths of work be it gaming, hollywood, medical etc, it's just now that we're even more PC of a culture it's all coming up again and clogging up the news. I mean good on people for coming out but jesus christ.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Asuka Langley said:
altnameJag said:

TBF GG is still big on twitter if you know where to look, Zoey Quinn monestizing on it - very badly with crappy sales - with her "survivor story" biography, though I did find the list if you want to take a pander and laugh at the pit of self-destruction that is.
You're talking to someone who didn't understand what the big deal Zoe Quinn was supposed to be three years ago, let alone why people are still obsessed with her now.

So...?

Far as Sterling's Destructoid bit: you know he's actually owned up to and apologized for that shit, right? Like, years ago, publicly. Easiest way for a person to completely torpedo any amount of goodwill I have towards them and their arguments is to bring up hugely misrepresentative things years after the fact without context.

(And anything is still big on Twitter "if you know where to look". Flat Earther's are still big on Twitter "if you know where to look". Only GG related stuff I bother with is watching people like Cheong dunk on himself occasionally.)

Asuka Langley

Nov 15, 2017
altnameJag said:
Asuka Langley said:
altnameJag said:

TBF GG is still big on twitter if you know where to look, Zoey Quinn monestizing on it - very badly with crappy sales - with her "survivor story" biography, though I did find the list if you want to take a pander and laugh at the pit of self-destruction that is.
You're talking to someone who didn't understand what the big deal Zoe Quinn was supposed to be three years ago, let alone why people are still obsessed with her now.

So...?

Far as Sterling's Destructoid bit: you know he's actually owned up to and apologized for that shit, right? Like, years ago, publicly. Easiest way for a person to completely torpedo any amount of goodwill I have towards them and their arguments is to bring up hugely misrepresentative things years after the fact without context.

(And anything is still big on Twitter "if you know where to look". Flat Earther's are still big on Twitter "if you know where to look". Only GG related stuff I bother with is watching people like Cheong dunk on himself occasionally.)
Normally I'd pull up the not an argument picture to point out, but yeah it wasn't an argument against Jim Sterling; just pointing out how far people are going nowadays to try and tank people completely. I don't exactly care for where your torpedo is going as long as it's not near my silo; the point of that bit was again to show how desperate people seem to be getting to get rid of people in the industry they don't particularly like

As for Zoe Quinn, people are still obsessed with her because she keeps trying to monetize and push the GG narrative 3 years after the whole thing's supposed to have kicked the bucket; it's old news if anything. For the record; if you know where to look is reference to the accounts that actually post things with context etc. If anything it's stagnating at a point where it's still offensive to some to bring up coughneteracough so you still for some reason have to be careful or risk getting pummelled by people still "triggered" so to speak by even the slightest reference. As for if you know where to look, that's more looking towards people who aren't completely biased to one view on the subject.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Now the recent stories about sexual assault have all been gross but this one takes the cake IMO

A few hours after news broke of Matt Lauer?s unceremonious firing from NBC News, Variety published its investigation into Lauer?s alleged sexual misconduct. The allegations, all of which were provided to Variety anonymously, are truly awful. The worst detail by far is this: according to two of the women accusing Lauer of sexual assault, he had a button under his desk that locked the door from the inside, allowing him the ?privacy? to ?welcome female employees and initiate inappropriate contact while knowing nobody could walk in on him.?
https://jezebel.com/matt-lauer-had-a-button-under-his-desk-to-lock-his-door-1820853895