So apparently JonTron is a racist

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
runic knight said:
Please stop intentionally derailing the thread solely to have excuse to rant.
Putting aside your inability to follow an argument and apparent lack of reading comprehension ... it's kind of racist if you phrase it as a specifically racial issue. It's bad argumentation. Black rich people do commit more crime than the average working class poor white people... but then again, so do White rich people.

It's not a racial issue. It's an economic one. As per my arguments before, JonTron isn't a racist. He's just a fucking idiot. It's codedly racist, also relies on a skewed idea of crime (crime being reduced to street crime, not white-collar) ... which is bad enough. But that's what social tuning does ... you put yourself within a visible in-group and you go through a process of deindividuation, where you take diminished responsibility for your actions for perceived membership.

And people should point that out.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
BeetleManiac said:
gigastar said:
Therefore you dont want tax money being paid out to people who go to teach students that all white people are racist?
Sure. Point me to those people specifically. Name names because I want to see this.
Off you go. [http://bfy.tw/AjAQ]

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
BeetleManiac said:
Saltyk said:
So, you think riots, destruction of public property, and violence are legitimate forms of protest? Would that be a proper response to Anita Sarkesian giving a speech? Obama? Putin?

When you think that violent acts can be warranted by the person they are being perpetrated against, that is a problem. How can you not see that?
Do you always assume that people who don't immediately leap to Milo's defense are pro-riot? Do you always ask loaded or leading questions when someone says something that isn't, "I agree," or, "Me too," in response to an opinion that you agree with? How many more ironic/facetious questions do I need to ask you before you stop asking me stupid ones?
He brought up the riots at UC Berkley and you went off on a tangent about defending a "Nazi Apologist". Like that means anything or addressed the issue of people using violence to shut down people they disagree with. This is a very worrying train of thought.

So I ask again. Is it okay to use violence to shut down people who say things that are deemed unsavory or "dangerous"? And, if so, would you be okay with people using violence against others, including some you may agree with?

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
BeetleManiac said:
Saltyk said:
This is a very worrying train of thought.
I'm sure you worry a lot about other people having opinions.
Not nearly as much as you I'm sure.

BeetleManiac said:
So I ask again. Is it okay to use violence to shut down people who say things that are deemed unsavory or "dangerous"? And, if so, would you be okay with people using violence against others, including some you may agree with?
Depending on the circumstances, yes and yes. When you're ready to start asking more intelligent questions, let me know.
Well, I must admit. I'm actually shocked. You're okay with using violence against people who you disagree with. There's nothing more to say or ask. You don't even pretend to have ethics. I'm not sure if I'm more sad or impressed at this point.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
BeetleManiac said:
gigastar said:
BeetleManiac said:
Science says you're wrong.
Link a study or fuck off then.
So [http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00224499.2011.596954] glad [http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1363460712459158] you [https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10615-013-0447-0] asked [http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/15299716.2013.813421]. More where that came from. I'm happy to provide if you want it.
Well since youre offering, got anything from an actual biologist?

Also all 4 of the articles you linked are behind paywalls. Nothing wrong with that but im not about to cough up a tenner just to have something to counter you on.

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
gigastar said:
Story said:
While I see Peterson's position on the issue of transgendered pronouns (in that use of them seems authoritarian and controlling) refusing to say them on request of the host is pretty disrespectful.
Peterson has said that he would use neutral pronouns if asked 'in a certain way', which i assume means politely.

Story said:
All that said what you posted didn't refute Skatologist's case (by that I mean the post he linked to). If anything it reaffirms it because by showing the video out of full context, you are suggesting that those protesters only interrupted him because they disagreed with his choice of pronouns but Appearently there is a lot more too it. Like the legal implications of it and the refusal to use them implies that he does not acknowledge that gender fluidity is valid. In general, it's trivializing the opponent...actually what Skatologist's warns about.
The only legal matter i can find that Peterson is involved with is his criticism of Bill C-16 [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Act_to_amend_the_Canadian_Human_Rights_Act_and_the_Criminal_Code], which aims to "amend the Canadian Human Rights Act by adding "gender identity or expression" as a prohibited ground of discrimination".

Ill keep it short and say i think this bill should not become law.

And i do not think gender fluidity is valid. That shit can stay on Tumblr where it belongs.
Well, there's the problem. Other people feel there is legtimacy to gender fluency like those protesters...in fact they believe in it very passionately because for many of them its part of their idenity. By Not recognizing non gender pronouns as a legitimate you are in affect dismissing them. Quite like what others said about homosexual people...many still believe homosexuality to be a mental disorder. I fail to see how this is any different.
Now I respect Peterson in his position too. However meeting half way also seems disingenuous to me and I'm sure those protesters too.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Story said:
By Not recognizing non gender pronouns as a legitimate you are in affect dismissing them. Quite like what others said about homosexual people...many still believe homosexuality to be a mental disorder. I fail to see how this is any different.
I mean, it isn't. Literally the entire point of refusing to recognize a trans or non-binary person's identity is so that you can dismiss them and say they're "just crazy". The only reason to do it that isn't based in bigotry is because you don't want to have your preconceived notion of the world challenged by things you don't like.

That's why it tends to be more a problem with conservatives than liberals, as it happens. While there are, of course, TERFs and other such similar groups, The Left[sup]TM[/sup] as a whole doesn't centralize any of their ideas around actively dehumanizing certain groups.

Skatologist

Choke On Your Nazi Cookies
Jan 25, 2014
runic knight said:
I can't tell if you didn't bother hearing his reply,
No I bothered, it just happened to reduce my respect for the man even further. How he managed to do that after coming off as one of those Bob Whittaker bots crying about white genocide with only slightly more nuance and slightly less bile still surprises me. I refuse to let him sweep his comments under the rug as if they might actually have merit though.

Oh and "Anytime someone brings up an uncomfortable statistic, you freak out, and burn things down." Well, those "uncomfortable statistics" tend to be brought up as half truths or misunderstandings used in ways in order to harm marginalized groups.

"Well they are disproportionately involved in those kinds of crimes" was used in reply to trans people and sexual assaults/sex crimes insinuating they are overly represented as an aggressor rather than the actual fact they are victims of those kinds of crimes.

Jon did a similar thing, spouted off something with no evidence supporting it, asserting it as unobjectionable fact, and the closest thing he has doesn't say what he think he's saying and instead can act as evidence against his claim that discrimination is over. Which leads me to believe people just want to believe this shit about black people. Now, what would you call someone who goes out and looks for any opportunity to shit on black people even if those things about said black people aren't necessarily true? (BTW, don't try and turn this on "replace black with white and you got a similar problem with a certain group yaddayaddayadda" nonsense. People don't go out and lie about white people like they do for Muslims, Hispanics, or black people. It's not even close to being the same. I mean FFS, our president even retweeted neonazi statistics on racial homicides[footnote]Should I have to denote these statistics are untrue before you claim I think they are "uncomfortable"?[/footnote])

Also
[link=https://www.springer.com/gp/about-springer/media/research-news/wealth-doesn-t-protect-u-s--blacks-from-greater-chance-of-incarceration/7820280]Even though the obvious racial disparity does shrink as levels of wealth grow, it is never fully eliminated. According to Zaw, this might be because of other economic factors, such as the wealth of extended family members, or factors such as education, job experience and social connections.
"To the best of my knowledge, this is the first study to look at the impact of prior wealth on the odds of incarceration and to demonstrate that wealth does not provide the same degree of insulation from imprisonment for black and Hispanic males as it does for white males," said co-author William A. Darity. Darity is a professor of public policy, African and African American studies and economics at Duke University.[/link]
Black people going to jail disproportionately doesn't "scare" me. Insinuating that as evidence of an inferior race, subculture, or set of values (which racists will do) rather than assessment of historically unjust judicial systems with both conscious and unconscious biases against minorities just pisses me off.

As he states himself, the point made was that you can't keep harping on about everything being racial and then act surprised when everything is thought of in those terms.
I still don't know what this specifically means. Acknowledging unconscious racism is a thing? Overstating the importance of race in specific instances? Saying that things (maybe more specifically things from certain individuals like Trump) were racist? I'd like some examples of what you mean.

Ignoring that and ignoring that discrimination is universally wrong
Define discrimination. Also please give examples that don't sound like strawmen of events I've probably heard of and you are overly biased representing one way or another(aka what Jon did in his "this is supposed to be my apology video, but instead of saying I'm sorry for the heinous stuff I was saying, I'm only going to apologize on how I was saying such heinous stuff instead." video). Because I refuse to agree with this statement until I get a clear answer on how you define "discrimination". Because discrimination can literally be

"I discriminate by
1. eating apples over oranges
2. Wearing polos over tank tops,
3. Hanging out with Steve who is my friend than Brett who's an abusive fuckwad
4. Watching anything with intellectual merit rather than a Sargon video
5. Giving my money to a cause that I feel needs it versus a cause I don't support"

And wait, since you said that, you must be against this?! I mean, it does discriminate entry of people from certain countries.

And yet that is so commonplace in the media itself, it is harmful to the very notion of tackling race issues.

You can't fight racism by enacting racism, and yet that seems to be the acceptable answer nowadays.
Again, examples of what you fucking mean. Because essentially saying "hey wait, maybe white people are ignorant of what black people have to go through and maybe we all have an unconscious bias against blackness and should take measures correcting that." doesn't really sound all that objectionable.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Well its getting close to midnight and im done with this discussion. Time for parting shitposts.

BeetleManiac said:
I like the word "actual" implying that you get to decide who is and is not a real scientist.
Well 3 of the articles you linked were form what Google Scholar tells me are social studies professors. So no theyre not real scientists.

BeetleManiac said:
Also, don't diss psychology considering you're the one who tried to call it a mental disorder. That is firmly in the realm of psychiatric medicine, another discipline that you have no education in.
I think youre confusing 'education' with 'indoctrination' here.

BeetleManiac said:
So rather than moving the goal posts, let's clear a few things up right now so that I can more accurately provide you the information you have requested.
I dont know why you dont just give me relevant information. Its almost as if you dont have any.

BeetleManiac said:
Yes, that is what happens when you ask someone to cite actual scientific studies.
Exceot i can find studies viewable online for free, like the one that proves Alex Jones' assertion that there are chemicals in the water that turn the frogs gay [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgKvl5VQVkY] is actually true [https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2842049/].

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
BeetleManiac said:
Saltyk said:
Well, I must admit. I'm actually shocked. You're okay with using violence against people who you disagree with. There's nothing more to say or ask. You don't even pretend to have ethics. I'm not sure if I'm more sad or impressed at this point.
I'll answer for you: you're impressed. You thought vague, bullshit questions would shut me up, but you didn't count on my speaking better English or putting way more thought into my answers than you.
Oh, I can tell. You're gonna be fun. At least, you'll be fun until your inevitable banning.

Cheers, mate. Keep on fighting the good fight.

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
Addendum_Forthcoming said:
runic knight said:
Please stop intentionally derailing the thread solely to have excuse to rant.
Putting aside your inability to follow an argument and apparent lack of reading comprehension ... it's kind of racist if you phrase it as a specifically racial issue. It's bad argumentation. Black rich people do commit more crime than the average working class poor white people... but then again, so do White rich people.

It's not a racial issue. It's an economic one. As per my arguments before, JonTron isn't a racist. He's just a fucking idiot. It's codedly racist, also relies on a skewed idea of crime (crime being reduced to street crime, not white-collar) ... which is bad enough. But that's what social tuning does ... you put yourself within a visible in-group and you go through a process of deindividuation, where you take diminished responsibility for your actions for perceived membership.

And people should point that out.
Ok, enough of this crap.

You replied to my post entirely without relevance to anything that was being said then act affronted that it is called out for being entirely without relevance to what was being said. You even missed the entire point of the post you quoted as you zeroed in on a single thing to shoot off in a bizarre tangent. You started talking about how your being well off means you get away with being a criminal. This in reply to talking about jon's reply video where he mentions that unpleasant statistics being said gives some people enough justification to call people racist. It doesn't relate to any point I was making there and it really looks like you were intentionally trying to derail things solely so you had excuse to gripe about trump again.

Your second part here is at least relevant to the thread. But you still fail to properly relate what you are talking about at any given point with what the person you are quoting was actually talking about, and honestly, I am tired of that laziness. You need to actually take the time to connect your frantic mental process so that others can follow. Sporadically ranting about Trump and expecting anyone to understand what the hell you are trying to say is just foolish.

On the topic itself, I agree it is not racist. That was part of the point of mentioning how your argument would be applied the same way to being called racist as jon was. To show that those calling jon racist for it were in the wrong, especialyl in relation to his reply video where he specifically makes mention to how people reply to statistics they find uncomfortable by reacting poorly.

I disagree however that jon's quote is an economic one, as it specifically slices through that argument by pointing at economic status actively going against what you expect it to do. Well-off blacks committing more crimes than poor whites belies the claim that income is the primary factor for committing crime. Your own claims also actually further that as you are well off and still commit crimes by your own admission. Therefore if working from the perception of the stat that wealthy blacks commit more crimes than whites is true, the conclusion that crime is related to economic status primarily is not supported. Thus far you are the only one who has divided crime according to "street" and blue-collar, a separation that again has been given no relevance to anything and has been added into the mix just because you wanted it to. Does it relate to the stat that jon used before? I don't know, you never demonstrated or claimed anything like that, just worked it into your reply as though it should be there and stormed forward with your tangent.

Your side-commentary about social tuning and the like though is more irrelevant junk tacked on without any sort of connecting reason that you shared with the rest of us. Now I am sure there is something there, same with your insistence on bringing up trump previously, but when you don't show your work, it is pretty hard to follow exactly what you were trying to say or argue.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
runic knight said:
Ok, enough of this crap.

You replied to my post entirely without relevance to anything that was being said then act affronted that it is called out for being entirely without relevance to what was being said. You even missed the entire point of the post you quoted as you zeroed in on a single thing to shoot off in a bizarre tangent. You started talking about how your being well off means you get away with being a criminal. This in reply to talking about jon's reply video where he mentions that unpleasant statistics being said gives some people enough justification to call people racist. It doesn't relate to any point I was making there and it really looks like you were intentionally trying to derail things solely so you had excuse to gripe about trump again.
Kay, I literally used your language and explained why it was a problematic statement that is a half truth. Like How Milo said trans women were more likely to be involved in sexual violence, without adding the the caveat; as victims of crime. It's morally wrong in numerous schools of philosophical discipline, and serves zero merit to the discussion other than; "This is how to be morally wrong."

Whatever happened to the; "no bad tactics, just bad targets..." spiel you go with?

Your second part here is at least relevant to the thread. But you still fail to properly relate what you are talking about at any given point with what the person you are quoting was actually talking about, and honestly, I am tired of that laziness. You need to actually take the time to connect your frantic mental process so that others can follow. Sporadically ranting about Trump and expecting anyone to understand what the hell you are trying to say is just foolish.
Because it's not a fact that people should take on board ... the very rich can and do regularly commit crime. Regardless of race. They also commit civil wrongs to a far more gross level of occasioning. Sure, you might get mad at the person who pickpockets your wallet (a crime) ... but the court will just shake its head when someone like Donald Trump refuses to pay thousands of workers for labour given that unless they file for a class action they can't possibly recoup their losses and associated legal fees (not a crime).

On the topic itself, I agree it is not racist. That was part of the point of mentioning how your argument would be applied the same way to being called racist as jon was. To show that those calling jon racist for it were in the wrong, especialyl in relation to his reply video where he specifically makes mention to how people reply to statistics they find uncomfortable by reacting poorly.

I disagree however that jon's quote is an economic one, as it specifically slices through that argument by pointing at economic status actively going against what you expect it to do. Well-off blacks committing more crimes than poor whites belies the claim that income is the primary factor for committing crime. Your own claims also actually further that as you are well off and still commit crimes by your own admission. Therefore if working from the perception of the stat that wealthy blacks commit more crimes than whites is true, the conclusion that crime is related to economic status primarily is not supported. Thus far you are the only one who has divided crime according to "street" and blue-collar, a separation that again has been given no relevance to anything and has been added into the mix just because you wanted it to. Does it relate to the stat that jon used before? I don't know, you never demonstrated or claimed anything like that, just worked it into your reply as though it should be there and stormed forward with your tangent.
It's wrong because it's codedly racist. I've likely committed more crimes than your average poor, working class Australian (or in fact, I know I have). Would you agree with the narrative that being right should facilitate the argument; "Wealthy Asian-Australian half breeds commit more crimes than working class Aussies..."? Or as a wealthy Australian who just so happens to have a Filo mother simply commits more crime than the average working class Australian?

What is the more accurate statement, and which one pushes for manufactured racist spiels? Basic utilitarianism ... the key to moral guidance is formulating the truest opinion one can have so that it most effectively governs their intelligent praxis. Me stating; "Rich Australians tend to commit more crime and civil wrongs than the average, working class Australian..." is a greater facilitator of intelligent praxis than merely assuming Black people are inherently more likely to commit crime because they are Black.

More over my statement actually addresses the idea of material wealth provided degrees of separation from police action, and the continued decriminalisation of white collar crime and civil wrongs. Hell, there's literally no excuse for wealthy people to commit the number of crimes they play a role in given just how much white collar crime has been stripped from policing and regulatory agencies to fight against.

Aboriginal kid steals a candy bar out of your store? That's a crime. Commonwealth Bank stealing the wealth of many thousands of mum and dad investors... making fraudulent claims of the merits of their financial services, and repurposing loan agreements and using fraudulent system of periodic withdrawals out of accounts? Bit iffy whether that's a crime ... I mean, it is, but good luck getting EVERYONE involved in that practice who materially benefitted and had an active hand in its formation put in cuffs.

Your side-commentary about social tuning and the like though is more irrelevant junk tacked on without any sort of connecting reason that you shared with the rest of us. Now I am sure there is something there, same with your insistence on bringing up trump previously, but when you don't show your work, it is pretty hard to follow exactly what you were trying to say or argue.
Yes ... because bringing up white collar crime and the immunity of money, when talking about criminality of the wealthy, isn't a valid point of conjecture.

Seriously, dude. None of this post actually challenges my point. It's just straw.

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
gigastar said:
I should clarify that i dont treat it as a valid identitiy. I would consider it a mental disorder.
Oh here we go. Do you even know what a mental disorder is?

From Wikipedia said:
According to DSM-IV, a mental disorder is a psychological syndrome or pattern which is associated with distress (e.g. via a painful symptom), disability (impairment in one or more important areas of functioning), increased risk of death, or causes a significant loss of autonomy; however it excludes normal responses such as grief from loss of a loved one, and also excludes deviant behavior for political, religious, or societal reasons not arising from a dysfunction in the individual.
Pay attention to the part I highlighted.

Well 3 of the articles you linked were form what Google Scholar tells me are social studies professors. So no theyre not real scientists.
Bullshit, you are not the authority when it comes to science and the insistence that some things are beyond the bounds of science is ridiculous. The social sciences include things like economics, anthropology, criminology, international relations and so on. I can't stand it when people insist that social science is not "science", it's as pathetic as someone insisting that jazz isn't music. Scientists don't care about what some rando thinks about their field of study, it's why they rely on peer review instead of treating it like it's American Idol.

What's sad is that people with a mentality like yours actually obstruct a lot of scientific research and advancement because you insist that your layman's knowledge is of more value than somebody who has a thorough understanding of these things. Every time a politician insists that climate change is a hoax because it snowed last week they're doing exactly the same thing as you're doing, and I apologise if I sound harsh but I'm sick of people only giving a damn about science when it produces them an iPhone and getting butthurt whenever it comes to a conclusion they're uncomfortable with, be it that the planet is billions of years old, waste emissions are killing the environment or god forbid, the relationship between sexual dimorphism, hormones and society is kinda complicated sometimes.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
gigastar said:
As for that petition, i actually agree that courses that seem to taking students and turning them into activists should be suspended for review. If nothing else its a fundamental betrayal of the concept of university, instead of being enlightened theese students have come out with worse job prospects than before and indoctrinated into a 'Everyone i dont like is Hitler' school of thought.
I work in a university. This literally doesn't happen.

It doesn't matter if a university literally started teaching a degree called "social justice warrior studies" rather than the broad range of social studies courses which Sargon is actually talking about under the heading of "social justice" courses. Such a degree would still be marketable and would still increase your job prospects.

There are situations in which the cost of fees and living expenses as well as career delay can effectively cancel out the average increase in earning from completing a degree, pretty much all PhDs fall into this category, but there is literally no situation in which doing a degree will make your job prospects worse. It's an anti-intellectual myth.

More significantly though, what you're describing is actual censorship. It's the actual restriction of academic freedom, the foundation stone of the university system, in order to satisfy the prejudices of people who have not read the books or learned anything about the courses they are trying to censor. I am a gender studies graduate, unless something dramatically changes my PhD will probably be in gender studies. The popular conception of what we do in gender studies is largely determined by people who have absolutely no exposure to even the basics of the literature or theoretical frameworks we work with. Name a foundational text of the field. Go on, without Googling, name one of the books you actually want to ban.

I don't care whether or not a student conservative society gets to host a shitty talk on the private property of their democratic student union. I don't care if barely-literate Youtubers are suddenly, inexplicably scared by students on campus protesting. I don't care if women said nasty things to you on Twitter. None of these things, as far as I've concerned, have any bearing whatsoever on free speech as defined at any point within the Western liberal tradition until now. What does have a bearing on free speech is when academic freedom is compromised. That is genuinely authoritarian and it is genuinely frightening. It is a threat to the only place in society where the kind of dialogue you claim to want can actually happen. Youtube is not going to save academia, Youtube can't even be relied upon to cite the correct study in a video specifically aimed at addressing that study.

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
Skatologist said:
runic knight said:
I can't tell if you didn't bother hearing his reply,
No I bothered, it just happened to reduce my respect for the man even further. How he managed to do that after coming off as one of those Bob Whittaker bots crying about white genocide with only slightly more nuance and slightly less bile still surprises me. I refuse to let him sweep his comments under the rug as if they might actually have merit though.
Don't people sweep things under the run when they don't care about them, not as a means to somehow make them seem valid? Isn't sweeping things under the rug the exact opposite thing you do if you value them?

Oh and "Anytime someone brings up an uncomfortable statistic, you freak out, and burn things down." Well, those "uncomfortable statistics" tend to be brought up as half truths or misunderstandings used in ways in order to harm marginalized groups.
So, like "wage gap" nonsense that gets echoed all the time? Would it be fair to call anyone who claims that as "sexist" then? Or does it not apply that the stat that has been debunked time and again is brought up specifically as a call against one group of people on behalf of another not count because you feel the group it is called against isn't marginalized overall? Because if so, I do have to point out that viewing the groups in that manner relies on stereotypes and preconceived biases about a group of people solely on the trait that defines them as a group.

"Well they are disproportionately involved in those kinds of crimes" was used in reply to trans people and sexual assaults/sex crimes insinuating they are overly represented as an aggressor rather than the actual fact they are victims of those kinds of crimes.
I remember that line, and that one was very dishonest. However I don't see the stat jon cited as being intentionally misleading in that way. His stat was pretty cut and dry about the economic status not differentiating in who committed crimes in the way one would expect. Not that it isn't without flaws mind you, but certainly not the intentional dishonesty you are implying it is now.

Jon did a similar thing, spouted off something with no evidence supporting it, asserting it as unobjectionable fact, and the closest thing he has doesn't say what he think he's saying and instead can act as evidence against his claim that discrimination is over.
Except, the stat wasn't intentionally misleading in its reporting in the same way as the previous one you used here. Ironically this attempt here supports jon's claim about how the presentation of an uncomfortable stat alone is enough to get people to freak out and misrepresent him based on hearing stats they don't want to hear.

Which leads me to believe people just want to believe this shit about black people. Now, what would you call someone who goes out and looks for any opportunity to shit on black people even if those things about said black people aren't necessarily true? (BTW, don't try and turn this on "replace black with white and you got a similar problem with a certain group yaddayaddayadda" nonsense. People don't go out and lie about white people like they do for Muslims, Hispanics, or black people. It's not even close to being the same. I mean FFS, our president even retweeted neonazi statistics on racial homicides[footnote]Should I have to denote these statistics are untrue before you claim I think they are "uncomfortable"?[/footnote])
You attempt to dismiss that people openly shit on white people in the media all the time and want me to take you seriously at all? And you cite trump as evidence of something jon supports in the same argument?

-shakes head-

First off, just because it is inconvenient to realize that people constantly shitting on white people as a race is entirely racist itself, doesn't mean it isn't still racist. If you would like I can cite the countless media articles and stories that carry that theme as the new cultural normal, though I think we both know that is such an obvious occurrence at this point that it is wasting both our time there. Nearly any article in major news talking about race in a way that reinforces the differences between race does so while maligning whites, be it by the argument of original sin racism to claim all people are racist, or by specifically talking about "white" behavior without a hint of irony to the use of such stereotypical views to justify biases against the race itself. Just because it is directed at a perceived "non-marginalized" group does not make the action any less racist.

Secondly, your conclusion itself is inherently based on a faulty set up as I explained already. You took an example that was intentionally dishonest to compare to one that was not, then used that to justify your conclusion that people were intentionally looking for excuse to shit on black people in general. Logically, you tripped and stumbled two steps back, so your conclusion is neither sound nor valid at this point. So rationally, you failed to support your conclusion here. And while I don't disagree that some people likely do look for any excuse, I don't think jon is in this case in any form, nor do I think the insinuations made do anything but highlight his overall point, as you yourself clearly demonstrated that this is done because he cited a statistic you dislike resulting in implicating his character and comparing him to those intentionally trying to shit on black people (essentially, you are claiming his actions are racist in all but directly calling him racist). The result is that in response to jon pointing out that people who hear statistics they dislike will respond poorly was to latch onto the statistics he used and attack his character as though he was intentionally trying to shit on black people.

You've demonstrated the very point he used in his video.

Also
[link=https://www.springer.com/gp/about-springer/media/research-news/wealth-doesn-t-protect-u-s--blacks-from-greater-chance-of-incarceration/7820280]Even though the obvious racial disparity does shrink as levels of wealth grow, it is never fully eliminated. According to Zaw, this might be because of other economic factors, such as the wealth of extended family members, or factors such as education, job experience and social connections.
"To the best of my knowledge, this is the first study to look at the impact of prior wealth on the odds of incarceration and to demonstrate that wealth does not provide the same degree of insulation from imprisonment for black and Hispanic males as it does for white males," said co-author William A. Darity. Darity is a professor of public policy, African and African American studies and economics at Duke University.[/link]
Black people going to jail disproportionately doesn't "scare" me. Insinuating that as evidence of an inferior race, subculture, or set of values (which racists will do) rather than assessment of historically unjust judicial systems with both conscious and unconscious biases against minorities just pisses me off.
And that is a great defense to the stat being used to support any conclusion. But here's the question I have to ask, what was jon using the statistic to argue here? Because I don't recall it being used to are anything specific, rather just used in shotgun examples while talking about how concentrating on race results in people concentrating on race in reply. You latched onto the implications of the stat itself and argue against a conclusion based on the stat itself that wasn't actually being argued. That, in turn, was what jon's reply video specifically called out, the reply to an uncomfortable statistic.

As he states himself, the point made was that you can't keep harping on about everything being racial and then act surprised when everything is thought of in those terms.
I still don't know what this specifically means. Acknowledging unconscious racism is a thing? Overstating the importance of race in specific instances? Saying that things (maybe more specifically things from certain individuals like Trump) were racist? I'd like some examples of what you mean.
the point was that by concentrating on everything being about race, it inevitably makes people respond based on race as well. The media constantly attacking white people because of racism inevitably caused some white people to reply based on race as well, drawing up examples such as he used about black crime stats. By constantly drawing attention to the divides based on race, especially when making one race the negative one in every example, all it does is serve to perpetuate the idea that race means anything in the first place. It is racism that is being used to fight other racism succeeding in only promoting more racism.

I can only assume, it was the constant attention given to race over the years in the media that made the racial divide so much worse and noticeable now. When making every issue about race is the norm, people reply based on race, even when it isn't just against white people anymore.

Ignoring that and ignoring that discrimination is universally wrong
Define discrimination. Also please give examples that don't sound like strawmen of events I've probably heard of and you are overly biased representing one way or another(aka what Jon did in his "this is supposed to be my apology video, but instead of saying I'm sorry for the heinous stuff I was saying, I'm only going to apologize on how I was saying such heinous stuff instead." video). Because I refuse to agree with this statement until I get a clear answer on how you define "discrimination". Because discrimination can literally be

"I discriminate by
1. eating apples over oranges
2. Wearing polos over tank tops,
3. Hanging out with Steve who is my friend than Brett who's an abusive fuckwad
4. Watching anything with intellectual merit rather than a Sargon video
5. Giving my money to a cause that I feel needs it versus a cause I don't support"

And wait, since you said that, you must be against this?! I mean, it does discriminate entry of people from certain countries.
Discrimination is treating someone differently based on a trait, and within context of the discussion and usual use of the word in social contexts, it is treating them differently based on a trait they can not change or that which doesn't reasonably explain the different treatment. Discrimination requires actually determining how to act toward someone based upon a trait. Racism specifically is treating someone different based on race. Sexism is that for sex. Can be positive and negative discrimination.

Discrimination would be treating a person with distrust during a job interview and not hiring them because of whatever trait. It would be firing someone because they are of a certain trait you personally dislike even though it doesn't affect their ability to do the job.

Discrimination would not be pointing to actual facts about said trait. Pointing out that there is a crime stat imbalance is not discriminating any more than pointing out medical patterns within certain ethnicities, pointing out biological differences between sexes, or pointing out patterns in how people are treated is not itself discrimination. Facts, of which stats can be, are not discriminatory themselves. Conclusions drawn from those facts may be though.

Your definitions of discrimination is weird. While your examples are true of discriminating, few related to people, and most just demonstrate that discrimination between things is nothing more than personal preference. That, in relation to the discussion itself, seems to be intentionally downplaying the seriousness of it. You are after all comparing racism against black people with not wanting to eat an apple. furthermore, your examples all have reason to make the discrimination based on reason in a way that discrimination as discussed in the topic currently does not. You even hint at some of them yourself by having a person judged by their actions of being an asshole(a trait they can certainly control) and not being a cause you feel needs the money (a trait that would dictate how you respond to them).

My thoughts on the refugee block? I am not for it, nor am I greatly against it. With regard to discrimination though, it is yet another example of yours that has justification in treating things differently. The refugees represent a security risk in the government's eyes, and can even base this on incidents with crime and riots in countries where populations of such has resulted in incidents.

So once again, you are pulling up examples that seem to be playing with the wording of "discrimination" to simply mean "treat different than something else in general" rather than the use when relating to how people are discriminated against because of traits that don't actually provide valid reasons for treating them differently but instead are based on biases against those traits they can't change or that which affect nothing on their own. Lets be honest, the discrimination in this case would be against citizens of certain nations currently unstable and in wartime, not a certain race, nor a certain religion though those traits are also shared among them. And while it is still discriminating based on nationality, it is not a trait that is arbitrary or unrelated to why they are treated differently for it, which undercuts comparisons to discrimination against black people which this entire exercise has been implying.

By your examples, hiring a person with a license to drive as a delivery person is discrimination against those without a license who applied. That is not a very good definition for the word as it renders it completely worthless and entirely synonymous with "chose".

And yet that is so commonplace in the media itself, it is harmful to the very notion of tackling race issues.

You can't fight racism by enacting racism, and yet that seems to be the acceptable answer nowadays.
Again, examples of what you fucking mean. Because essentially saying "hey wait, maybe white people are ignorant of what black people have to go through and maybe we all have an unconscious bias against blackness and should take measures correcting that." doesn't really sound all that objectionable.
Not hard to understand what I was saying if you put it in context to the video you said you actually listened to. Though you also claim it is something it isn't while saying you watched it, so pretty obvious you were seeing it as something other than what it is based entirely on biases to begin with.

Ok then, context. Jon was talking about how the media have used racism as a means to combat racism. In particular, racism against white people that would not fly if they were against black people. Sammantha Bee and other media examples showcases this point clearly. This in turn defines the new cultural normal of using racism of one type to combat racism of another, something that doesn't work and is in my opinion abhorrent and disgusting. But it also was used to show the double standard in how one race is treated compared to another, demonstrating that it is indeed racism being used to fight racism.

Arguments such as "black people have to go through something different than white people" rely upon grossly generalized statements based entirely on preconceived views of race that are created solely by stereotypes about said races. They are answers to racism that are done in a way that completely reaffirms the differences in race and that which make one race the "bad guy" while the other is the "victim" regardless that individual occurrences could and do wildly vary. Such arguments done by the media often are racist themselves done to fight racism, and yet which merely reaffirm the notion that race actually mean differences and thus just serves the purpose or perpetually reinforcing the divides between race.

And while one can certainly make arguments based on stats about each race in order to justify conclusions directed at various races, it does leave me with a question about those that choose to do so. If jon is racist for even pointing out the uncomfortable stats, what does it say about those who are actively using such stats in order to justify a conclusion that people should be treated differently based on those traits themselves and specifically about traits that they can not change or that which do not justify treating differently when looked at individually.

shibbydibby

Mar 20, 2017
I didn't listen to the debate, nor do I know either of these people. All I've seen is people being mocking his claim that "Wealthy blacks commit more crime than poor whites". Here's 2 sources for you. There is an additional source from FBI statistics that is easily obtainable, but I'll leave that up to you. After all, I know you're all principled and intellectually honest. Real truth-seekers.

http://scholarlycommons.law.northwestern.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=6119&context=jclc

https://www.newyorkfed.org/medialibrary/media/research/epr/99v05n3/9909levi.pdf

hmm
really makes you think

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
shibbydibby said:
I didn't listen to the debate, nor do I know either of these people. All I've seen is people being mocking his claim that "Wealthy blacks commit more crime than poor whites". Here's 2 sources for you. There is an additional source from FBI statistics that is easily obtainable, but I'll leave that up to you. After all, I know you're all principled and intellectually honest. Real truth-seekers.

http://scholarlycommons.law.northwestern.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=6119&context=jclc

https://www.newyorkfed.org/medialibrary/media/research/epr/99v05n3/9909levi.pdf

hmm
really makes you think
Condensending tone aside:
Say that it is true. That wealthy blacks do more crime than poor whites. It's what people conclude from that is what others find troubling. Myself for instance, I don't draw the conclusion that people are more genetically disposed to violence which is in fact the very definition of racism and has harmful implications/consequences.