So Bin Laden is Dead, what now?

cptawesome

Nov 2, 2009
kotorfan04 said:
I am not going to claim Terrorism is over or that we have entered some new really awesome golden age, but at the same time, he is dead. The man who has been America's #1 Public enemy is dead and I think that deserves to be celebrated. Yes, I agree, normally murder is bad but when you organize the death of thousands then FUCK YOU! You die, if you turn yourself in then you get a trial before you die, but end result is: YOU = DEAD, and that is a good thing overall. As for the celebration, well we have been hunting this guy since I was 10 so... Yeah, mission accomplished, pop the bubbly and what not. THis is good things.
Damn, I could not have said it better myself. People are missing the point of all this; a mass murderer has been killed, and the world is a better place without him. And really, can he claim to be a martyr at this point? he was found hiding out and was shot to death. Would I have liked it if he had been brought to trial? Yeah, probably, but the end result would've been the same. So, great work America!

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
RT-Medic-with-shotgun said:
Ever find it funny that for all they quote the constitution & the founding fathers they ignore 99% of what they said and stood for? BTW is it true you folks in Europe only see the worst of the USA? Like all you get are rednecks and Westboro not-baptists church?
Nah I'm a Brit and I see Americans as our bro's which I think is a pretty common view in the North at least. You have more extremes of everything because you are a bigger country I don't think real people (ie not the media) hold that against you. The only thing that puzzles me about America is the health care system but thats a whole different issue.

Good Job on eliminating the dangerous criminal *brofist*

cptawesome

Nov 2, 2009
Sonic Doctor said:
Kashif Omer said:
Brad Shepard said:
Just saw the news, Bin Laden is dead, check any news channel, its true. So, what now, will the US pull out? or what?
We can't pull out, there is a war to finish. But now Obama has a reelection guarantee, Al Qieda has lost its symbol, and New York is alot happier.
I would lose the last hope I have for the US if we reelect him for that. It isn't like he was the one that followed the intelligence and pushed the button that told the drone fire the missile that killed Osama.

Half my hope left the first time Obama was elected.

Though, my mom believes that this actually might come back to bite him, because he has been pushing for less funding for the military, then the military did a great job with this using the funding he wanted to cut.

As much as I'm leaning for Donald Trump to be president, he's most likely going to end up taking votes away from the Republicans if they don't name him as their pick for running.

Donald Trump would be an awesome president. I would cherish hearing about how he gathered all of Obama's moronic and unnecessary "Czars" and said, "You're fired!"
Yeah, did anyone else think it was odd that the news really broke with only ten minutes left of Celebrity Apprentice (Donald Trump's show)? My mom thinks so, but personally i think it may have been coincidence.

Also, I think Trump would be great as well. Hell, if he ran the country like he runs his companies, then the US will be the most financially prosperous nation in the world in no time.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Brad Shepard said:
Just saw the news, Bin Laden is dead, check any news channel, its true. So, what now, will the US pull out? or what?

To be blunt, whether we pull out or not has a lot to do with the future of the country.

A lot of liberals and peace at any price types who have been wanting to cut and run since almost the very beginning are going to want to say that this means it's over, and we can pull out with dignity. In reality we've accomplished very little since Bin Ladin is more a symptom than the cause of the problems we're dealing with. As I point out all the time, the issue is the regional culture, not a tiny minority of people lead by a handfull of whack jobs. If it was a small group of extemists this would have been over with long before now.

While popular with a lot of people, Obama pulling out of the region would be a very bad move, and I think there are a lot of people concerned that this is what he will do.

It's important to note that beyond all cultural conflict and war related reasons that right now "The War On Terror" is really one of the only things holding the US together right now. Our economy is in rough shape. If we bring the troops back to the US right now, all of those troops are entitled to take their old jobs back at their old rates of pay. Unfortunatly we're having problems employing the people here in the US right now. What's more a lot of the jobs held by those soldiers probably don't exist anymore, not to mention the cost in benefits all the soldiers coming out of the service are going to hit the system with.

This is of course to say nothing of the cost of a troop muster and all the threats the US is facing right now, putting all of the troops back into civilian life, only to yank them back out in a couple of years probably isn't the wisest course as well.

The point here being is that while people might make excuses for it, and hate the realities of the situation, pulling the troops back is pretty much going to lead to a massive unemployment surge as people are either booted to make room for returning soldiers, or soldiers are put back into a society with no place for them. Probably what we'll see is an excuse being made to lay a lot of people off for the troops, followed by a layoff of the troops down the road as a lot of companies use this as an excuse to "optimize". The fact that nearly every state is running a deficit doesn't help matters much either.

It's not a matter of right and wrong, it's a situation where ending the war isn't actually going to benefit many people, either the troops or the people currently here in the US. Even if you start making arguements about moral responsibility, collapsing the system trying to meet it means nobody gets what they should be getting anyway.

Getting Bin Ladin really is going to be a major test for Obama, because I imagine he's going to have to wind up going against a lot of his supporters. Within the Bin Ladin name to put on the threat, he's got less steam to justify to all the liberals and peace at any price supporters why he's not keeping his empty campaign promise to end the war and pull our troops out.

Simply put the war doesn't exist in a vaccum at the moment, and isn't something that can be viewed in of itself. Irregardless of who you blame for the current situation, the point remains that I very much doubt we'll see any radical changes.

I expect the only way we're going to be bringing out troops home en-masse is going to be if we manage to fix the economy to the point of being able to support their return.

While "evil and heartless", especially when you consider how pro-military I am, ask yourself if you really want to deal with a bunch of angry, traumatized, well trained soldiers that are probably going to be living on the streets literallty in a lot of cases.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
DRSH1989 said:
I dunno about closure... we've had a few soldiers who died in Afghanistan as well over the years, but I doubt their families are really that overjoyed hearing such news...
To a certain degree, families of military personnel are a bit more prepared to hear that they've lost a loved one to an attack. It's no less awful, but there's a certain amount of increased risk based on the line of work.

I'm talking more about the families of the thousands of civilian victims, for whom there is no expectation of any sort of fighting or risk in day-to-day work. Think about what suddenly having your workplace destroyed around you by terrorist attack would do to your perception of the world? And maybe, just maybe, seeing the bastard brought down might help ease a bit of that violent shattering of your world view.

And still, I'll direct you to the far more needless and undue celebration surrounding sports victories. People who aren't even on the team are lighting things on fire or breaking stuff because "they" won. This isn't even as boisterous as that.

cptawesome

Nov 2, 2009
Necrotech said:
artanis_neravar said:
I would personally like to shake the hand of the soldier that took that kill shot.
I wonder if he shouted "Headshot FTW!" a moment later.
I wish video game awards could be handed out in real life, because that man would have prestiged like 8 times in a row.

DRSH1989

Aug 20, 2010
DRSH1989 said:
LOL, I didn't expect such a remark... when I said "I find the US to be a pretty great country", I'm referring to the average joe... you know the little people who just want to live their lives and be happy... not ur leaders who suck as much as every other country's leaders & get people killed for their own agendas & fetishes...
Still, your comment made me smile :p & think... "yep, there's hope".
It's pretty messed up.
Ever find it funny that for all they quote the constitution & the founding fathers they ignore 99% of what they said and stood for?
Well, actually I do, but the reason they ignore those laws sometimes is because they were made "by the people" which can be seen as not perfect (because nothing human invented or made is perfect) & so it can be interpreted in so many ways & forms by different people today... this is why we have lawyers after all... to "interpret" the law... but I won't go farther into this, because it's mostly off topic & basically my opinion on the matter.
BTW is it true you folks in Europe only see the worst of the USA? Like all you get are rednecks and Westboro not-baptists church?
I wouldn't say that. It depends on the people we're talking about. From my perspective, I know people who've been to the US & enjoyed greatly being there, I also know people who now have US citizenship & have established a home there for the rest of their lives, I also know people who dream of moving in states like NY or Cali or Florida, or Oregon, but I also know people who say things like "the US is full of fat retard people who believe everythin' they see on TV" or "all Americans know is how to steal oil from other countries". I'm not saying I'm proud of these statements, but people who say these things firmly believe in them. I for one can say that the US has as many flaws as any other country does, the only notable difference is that your country has a military force with a budget of billions of dollars per year. I even have link for this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_military_expenditures
Now that's some serious moola! :p & if I were to make a judgement based on these numbers, most people probably envy the US for spending so many resources on war... people can be idiots you know... anyway, I'll stop here. I'm way off topic now :p.
Cheers.

AnkaraTheFallen

May contain a lot of Irn Bru
Apr 11, 2011
Dastardly said:
To a certain degree, families of military personnel are a bit more prepared to hear that they've lost a loved one to an attack. It's no less awful, but there's a certain amount of increased risk based on the line of work.

I'm talking more about the families of the thousands of civilian victims, for whom there is no expectation of any sort of fighting or risk in day-to-day work. Think about what suddenly having your workplace destroyed around you by terrorist attack would do to your perception of the world? And maybe, just maybe, seeing the bastard brought down might help ease a bit of that violent shattering of your world view.

And still, I'll direct you to the far more needless and undue celebration surrounding sports victories. People who aren't even on the team are lighting things on fire or breaking stuff because "they" won. This isn't even as boisterous as that.
Here in Britain we have had attacks on civilians, admittedly not on as big a scale as America had but still..., and we don't have people celebrating in the streets. I'm not saying some people will be overjoyed that he is dead, I just feel for a lot of the families of victims it isn't really closure, it would just reopen the old wounds. And in his own admission osama didn't have anything to do with 9/11... I can't remember where I read that but it's somewhere, but if he did actually do it he would say that he did, like he has with several other attacks.

Arif_Sohaib

Jan 16, 2011
AnkaraTheFallen said:
Brad Shepard said:
I doubt they will... might seem a bit cynical of me, but I think that the US knows of some up coming attack (like 9/11 perhaps) and this is them trying to cover themselves by saying it's a sudden retaliation to his death... whatever it is I guess we'll find out soon.

Edit: My main reasons for this is that we have no real proof that it is him, they say that they knew he was in that compound for a week before they went in (if you've been on the run from america for 10 years you don't just stop and stay in one place), and they buried his body at sea themselves... no offence to americans but when has their government really cared about people religious wishes... there's plenty of innocent people that they don't let have their own religious burial for one reason or another, and they've just decided to bury his body before anyone can confirm it is his... seems a bit odd to me.

Please before anyone decides to hate me for this I accept this is just my view and in all reality I might be wrong, I'm just giving my own views.
He can't be burred at sea, Abbotabad(where he was killed) is 2 or 1.5 hours from sea by commercial flight, I live in Karachi and have been to Islamabad, Lahore and even Abbotabad(when I was 4) so I know. It is just uneconomical to put him in a helicopter/plane and fly all the way to Karachi or Gawadar just to bury him and to do it before photograhic evidence is just stupid.
It may be a plan to blame and attack Pakistan or to get Obama reelected or to pull out of Afghanistan without looking like complete idiots who couldn't kill one guy in a cave.

AnkaraTheFallen

May contain a lot of Irn Bru
Apr 11, 2011
Arif_Sohaib said:
He can't be burred at sea, Abbotabad(where he was killed) is 2 or 1.5 hours from sea by commercial flight, I live in Karachi and have been to Islamabad, Lahore and even Abbotabad(when I was 4) so I know. It is just uneconomical to put him in a helicopter/plane and fly all the way to Karachi or Gawadar just to bury him and to do it before photograhic evidence is just stupid.
It may be a plan to blame and attack Pakistan or to get Obama reelected or to pull out of Afghanistan without looking like complete idiots who couldn't kill one guy in a cave.
It was the american team that killed him that buried him at sea, they took him by helicopter... personally I feel it's a bit odd that they buried him before any evidence that it was actually him... but they claim it was to respect his religious beliefs and bury the body before 24 hours after death.

Arif_Sohaib

Jan 16, 2011
Fire Daemon said:
Arif_Sohaib said:
How could they bury him at sea? Infact, why would they do that in the first place considering Abbotabad is very far away from the sea and there was no benefit of burying him at sea?
The benefit of burying him at sea is so that his grave does not attract pilgrimages or holy activities. It also stops him from being dug up and paraded around. Throwing away a leader's corpse like it was a piece of a garbage has a subtle, but powerful affect on people. Makes it seem like the enemy doesn't even care that greatly about your presence, and that killing the head of your organisation was a small step forward and not anything to get worked over and in time, Bin Laden will be forgotten and he wont become quite the martyr he could be.

Ho Chi Minh's body is kept preserved in Vietnam (and sometimes Russia) purely so that people can come and see it, and millions do. I think this is the sort of thing that the USA wants to avoid.

A helicopter or a plane would have gotten his body out to sea in no time.

Pictures will surface, I just think that the USA will wait a while until this has largely blown over before releasing them. To stop people putting pictures of his ruined body all over the place and pissing the wrong people off, most likely. You've got to be real careful about this kind of thing, subtle mind games are afoot.

It's kind of strange to see how America has largely reacted to this. The images of people celebrating around the White House look straight out of an image from the middle east. It creeps me out, like the world has gone full circle. He who fights with monsters, and all that.
I am sorry for the late reply. But as I already mentioned in another post, it is uneconomical to fly all the way to Karachi or Gawadar, you don't flay trash for 1.5 to 2 hours to throw it away.You can have the same effect by burying him in an unmarked graveyard in an unmarked grave.Or bury him the same way they buried Saddam Hussain(I don't know how they buried him).And if Saddam Hussain's pictures could surface the same day, why not his?
I know you will call me a conspiracy theorist, but I smell something fishy.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
Continue all the pointless wars so the war profiteers can keep doing what they do best...PROFIT!

http://www.infowars.com/media-runs-fake-photo-to-illustrate-bin-laden-death-propaganda/

King Toasty

Oct 2, 2010
jakefongloo said:
King Toasty said:
jakefongloo said:
King Toasty said:
jakefongloo said:
King Toasty said:
I'm not shedding any tears at his death, but it's still the death of a human being. I will never say it's justice to kill someone for killing another.

Captcha: resaff operated. Dammit Resaff, he betrayed us!
I really wish I could take that stance with you. I really really do. There's thousands of pieces of work about revenge killing but...I would've shot him myself. I would want him to BEG AT MY FEET strip him of all of his dignity, All his humanity. I did not pray for his death but i did hope for it.

I would've sacrificed my humanity for his head.
Thus is the price of patriotism. I'm guessing you live in the States, and let me tell you, most other countries DON'T share that feeling. It's revenge, pure and simple. I wish he'd been imprisoned for life instead.
No what? I mean he killed one of my family, I want to rob something precious from him as well.
An eye for an eye won't get anyone anywhere. I understand that you want "justice", but this isn't it.
I certainly feel better.
wake up tomorrow and call someone you love. Then when you don't get a respond all day call tomorrow. No response. Have this go on for 4 days then have and officer show up at your door and tell you that that person is dead. Funny at first you they left a message on the machine that you havn't deleted a week ago. There voice is right there how is this person dead.

If you did not go into irrational revenge over this person than you are a very very strong person. But not wanting revenge because all the good books tell you so? That's just being a *****.
Fuck reason
Fuck logic
Eye for an eye is how I do things it's completly fair. You and I are friends as long as you don't jack with me. Why is that so hard for people to understand. It coincides with the golden rule.

This guy sacrificed his humanity to kill so many people
I owe the same to get what is to me the same result
You might want to do things that way, but the law shouldn't. It can't run on the whims or desires of people- everybody, no matter their crimes, deserves fair trial.

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
joecool5000 said:
Since he didn't seem to have much influence beforehand, his death probably won't cause much to change either.
I can't help but bring in what Rich Hall says in one of his sketches "Bin Laden's like a brand of Terrorism."

But if it is him, which there is a bit doubt, it'll probably:

a) Start something of anger.

or

b) Do absolutely nothing.

Venereus

May 9, 2010
Osama is dead. A minute of silence for everyone who still thinks it matters anymore.